Christian Rock

ratcatcher

Nov 4, 2004
✟135.00
Faith
Anglican
Christian Rock

Hello.

My freinds listen to Christian rock, but I don't like it, and I would rather listen to other music. My friends are telling me that I listen to sinful music because it talks about s*x and violence and has bad words in. My minister has spoken to me about this and I have stopped listening to Marylin Manson. Should I listen to Christian rock to become more holy? I am confused.

Lifesaver

Fides et Ratio
Jan 8, 2004
São Paulo, Brazil
✟16,097.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Well, we should be careful not to listen music which can have negative influences on us.
To listen music which seriously revere pointless violence, lust and satanism is not good for anyone. And to give support and make such songs more popular is certainly not a good thing either.

However, I don't like Christian rock either. The style of rock and roll is not suitable to deal with higher subjects such as Christianity in a meaningful way. A clear mind is necessary for that, and if there is one thing rock music does not lead to is a clear mind.

Upvote 0

Arikay

HI
Jan 23, 2003
Visit site
✟21,317.00
Faith
Taoist
Do you think your being wrongly influenced by the music? If not then I don't see any reason to worry.

Some christian rock seems, to me, to be an attempt to reach the mindless masses that believe whatever pop culture tells them. You don't become more holy because you listen to a certain music, or dress a certain way, etc. You become more holy by making a stronger internal connection with God. No one can judge this connection but you and God.
I do find some of the new age christian beliefs to be a bit disturbing. Where your connection with God is judged on material things, and mindless holy quick fixes abound.

Speaking of Manson, maybe you should give your pastor some of his recent interviews where he talks about wanting to sometime settle down and raise a family and he blasted Britney for having a non traditional casual and almost meaningless wedding. His image is just that, an artistic image. Many people seem to judge him based on outword appearance without looking more into what he is really about, which is rather ironic.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Inside Edge

Aug 3, 2004
Vancouver, BC
✟16,365.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The style of rock and roll is not suitable to deal with higher subjects such as Christianity in a meaningful way.
I thought God was in all things?

I can't stand most Christian Rock, but I don't claim it's unsuitable or anything.

Listen to whatever you want, just be aware of what you're listening to. If you relate to it or like it, be aware of why you relate it or like it.

Upvote 0

Lifesaver

Fides et Ratio
Jan 8, 2004
São Paulo, Brazil
✟16,097.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I fear Christian rock groups will try to water down theology into indigestable catch-phrases.

And there is no denying that rock is a primarily emotional style, not a rational one. Its main effect is to manipulate the feelings of the listeners, and not conduce them through a certain chain of thought.
Theology, and basically all important things to be said about Him, are first and foremost rational.

I like rock, but is it a style suited to speaking of God? Not quite. Is it still possible to talk about God with it? Probably.

Upvote 0

Inside Edge

Aug 3, 2004
Vancouver, BC
✟16,365.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I fear Christian rock groups will try to water down theology into indigestable catch-phrases.
I agree with you there - for the most part, but not always is this the case.

I like rock, but is it a style suited to speaking of God?[/QUOTE]
It's all dependent on the artist. I think there are some bands that deal quite eloquently with God, religion, and philosophy while hammering out a "face-melting guitar lick." :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ree110

Nov 5, 2004
Indiana
✟7,643.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Music is very powerful. It has the ability to effect our mind and emotions in more ways than we might consciously be aware of. As Christians, I believe we should want to fill our minds with good things and to be constantly keeping communication open with God. If the music we are listening to contradicts the life He calls us to live in His word, we might need to reconsider and ask ourself if it's helping or harming our spiritual life. I definitely don't think it's right to put rules on people and say you can only listen to christian rock though because there is some really good clean non-christian music out there.

Upvote 0

fragmentsofdreams

Critical loyalist
Apr 18, 2002
CA
Visit site
✟28,828.00
Faith
Catholic
Lifesaver said:

And there is no denying that rock is a primarily emotional style, not a rational one. Its main effect is to manipulate the feelings of the listeners, and not conduce them through a certain chain of thought.
Theology, and basically all important things to be said about Him, are first and foremost rational.

I like rock, but is it a style suited to speaking of God? Not quite. Is it still possible to talk about God with it? Probably.

At its heart, good music is poetry. Poetry has the ability to convey the sublime in ways that rational prose cannot.

Upvote 0

Innocent Bystander

Nov 4, 2004
✟172.00
Faith
Christian
Why don't you keep listening to non Christian music, but make up your own groovy Christian lyrics and sing them along instead!

For instance, Guns N Roses "Welcome to the Bible/ Sweet Lord of Mine", Bob Marley "No worship no cry", Kiss "I wanna rock and roll all night (and praise him every day)" etc..

Upvote 0