Aug 29, 2004
✟23,943.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
The US government and major corporations exploit people as much as possible both within its own boundaries and outside of them. The US will know God when God lets the US know it doesn't know God.

Of course, this is just one opinion from a Jesus Freak that claims no political party or denomination, so I could just be living in my own crazy little world! :)

Upvote 0

bshaw96

Oct 19, 2004
NC
✟15,799.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We have taken prayer out of schools, Christian symbols out of public buildings, and are trying to take God out of the pledge of allegiance. We have legalized abortion and are trying to legalize homosexual marriage. Just a few of the reasons I believe we are heading away from one nation under God.

Oh, your post will probably generate quite a few heated answers. Many opposing views here, but I hope it helps with your paper. I hated papers :D

Upvote 0

k

reset
Aug 29, 2004
✟23,943.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
blondee said:
well, it's really a picture. it's going to be the American flag, but instead of stars it will be things that make America not be one nation under God.

That's a very cool idea about the picture, and hope you enjoy doing it in all of your learning.

Funny that you mentioned a picture. I had a dream a few weeks ago, and this is what came to me in the dream about what the flag has really come to represent:

Blue: Globalization and complete domination

Stars: Glorification of individualism

White Stripes: Spreading of racism and the white man's euro-born ideologies.

Red Stripes: The blood of all the victims who suffer from the previous three.

Yeah, that dream kind of shook me out of my sleep, but the more I think about it, the more it makes sense on a symbolic level.

I know I'm asking for it by posting it, but hey, when you're led, you're led.:)

Upvote 0

MeetingPeopleIsEasy

Jan 11, 2005
Vestal, NY, USA
Visit site
✟194.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
bshaw96 said:
We have taken prayer out of schools, Christian symbols out of public buildings, and are trying to take God out of the pledge of allegiance. We have legalized abortion and are trying to legalize homosexual marriage. Just a few of the reasons I believe we are heading away from one nation under God.

Oh, your post will probably generate quite a few heated answers. Many opposing views here, but I hope it helps with your paper. I hated papers :D

Having prayer in schools, Christian symbols on public buildings, and having God in the pledge of allegiance is unconstitutional. It violates where it says in the First Amendment that the government "Shall Respect no Establishment of Religion." Legalized abortion is a debatable issue, even among Christians, and so isnt legalized gay marriage. I am not opposed to gay marriage - but even if I were - would it be right of me to IMPOSE it on other people? There are religions that are willing to perform gay marriages, should we deny them their legal right to equality?

Reactions: k
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

crazyfingers

May 17, 2002
Massachusetts
Visit site
✟18,923.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
blondee said:
i am new to this site so sorry if i do something wrong. i am doing a project and i need people's opinions on what makes them think that America isn't being "One Nation Under God" i'm not trying to start any kind of argument or anything like that, i just need your opinion.
thanks!:)

I'm not a Christian but I'll reply anyway. I do not believe in any god or gods and I expect that the government will not be teaching my kids that a god exists. When the government tells my kids to say "one nation ubder God" the government is stating that a god exists. The government has no right to make that judgment for everyone and expecially not to teach my kids that a god exists every day in school.

It comes down to separation between church and state which requires that the government remain neutral on questions of religion. To state that a god exists in the pledge is not neutral. Neither would it be neutral if the pledge said "under no God" . The neutral position is for religious issues to be left out of the pledge.

If you want a detailed explanation for why the "under God" part does not belong in the pledge, I suggest reading the original 9th curcuit ruling. It presents a very strong argument that "under God" does not belong in a government written and government sponsored pledge. HERE

Upvote 0

MeetingPeopleIsEasy

Jan 11, 2005
Vestal, NY, USA
Visit site
✟194.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
blondee said:
in the bible it says that being gay is wrong, and our Country was founded on Christian beliefs, people came here so they could have freedom to worship God.

1) The bible also says "an eye for an eye" in Exodus, but Jesus corrected this.

2) The United States was not founded as a Christian nation. Most of the founding fathers were deists, and Thomas Jefferson was even accused of being an athiest.

Upvote 0

xMinionX

Contributor
Dec 2, 2003
✟18,028.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
blondee said:
people came here so they could have freedom to worship God.

Actually, they came here so they wouldn't have to put up with any other religions. The first settlers were anything but religiously tolerant...

(just a little historical correction, hope it helps!)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

crazyfingers

May 17, 2002
Massachusetts
Visit site
✟18,923.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
bshaw96 said:
We have taken prayer out of schools,

Correction. School sponsored prayers are not allowed in school. Kids can pray whenever they want so long as they don't interupt class time or make other kids attend such prayers. I suggest that you read the Current Law on the subject

Christian symbols out of public buildings,

Is there some reason why government should be promoting christianity? Separation between church and state requires that the government be neutral on questions of religion. See Establishment Clause and Free Exercise Clause

and are trying to take God out of the pledge of allegiance.

See my previous post.

Here is a good site on the Constitutional Principle of the Separation between Church and state

Upvote 0

blondee

Jan 11, 2005
✟122.00
Faith
Christian
Jesus corrected the statement an eye for an eye, but i don't recall him saying anything about being gay is ok. and if we take out under God, that is implying that there's not a God. i don't want to start any arguments, i just asked a simple question. i'm 15, a christian, and am very firm in my beliefs, so you are wasting your time trying to convince me otherwise

Upvote 0

The Shredder

Jan 9, 2005
✟541.00
Faith
Christian
blondee said:
in the bible it says that being gay is wrong, and our Country was founded on Christian beliefs, people came here so they could have freedom to worship God.
They came to this country for religious freedom. But the people that formed the "United States" (not just early settlers) were deists and made sure to build this country on the rule of law without the oversight of any relgious faith.

And one nation under god, you might just want to do a project on the pledge of allegiance and how it was changed in the 1950's. The phrase "one nation under god is a mid-20th century creation and has nothing to do with the foundation of this country. They were just politicians in the 1950's who changed the pledge.

This country was not built on Christian beliefs and I'd like to know what history book people are getting that idea from.

blondee said:
Jesus corrected the statement an eye for an eye, but i don't recall him saying anything about being gay is ok. and if we take out under God, that is implying that there's not a God. i don't want to start any arguments, i just asked a simple question. i'm 15, a christian, and am very firm in my beliefs, so you are wasting your time trying to convince me otherwise
Another thing to add is that even if Jesus said nothing about homosexuality, that doesn't justify unfair treatment to homosexuals. I think that there was a point where he was talking to a prostitute or gentile or whatever "evil" person, and the disciples were a bit peeved by his actions. But Jesus didn't discriminate just because you were a different religion or a sinner. His attitude was that we are all sinners, so to make the parallel, the treatment of many gays is just wrong because they are treated as "worse" sinners by people who act as if they sin less.

Upvote 0

MeetingPeopleIsEasy

Jan 11, 2005
Vestal, NY, USA
Visit site
✟194.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
blondee said:

1) The point with the eye for an eye thing was that the type of attitude and things Jesus promotes goes over anything else it contradicts in the bible. Reading the four gospels, to me he promoted love and acceptance of EVERYONE. But if we are going to talk about homosexuality, we should take it to another section where it is allowed.

2) Taking out "Under God" is not implying that there is no God. It implies that the government has no stance, as a government power structure, on God. Which it shouldn't have a stance, if we want to maintain the United States as a democracy rather than a theocracy.

3) I don't believe that I WILL change your viewpoints. But I find debating to open me up to others viewpoints and create a level of understanding, which I hope it does for you also!

Upvote 0