Christian men tempted by breastfeeding in public?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freodin

Devout believer in a theologically different God
Mar 9, 2002
Germany, Bavaria, Middle Franconia
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
No, it doesn't seem right. But for a lot of people it is easier to blame others than to see the proverbial log in their own eye.

Not that, in my view, there even is a "log in the eye" in such a case. Christian "thought crime" theology is just such weird stuff.

Upvote 0

abacabb3

Jul 14, 2013
✟82,385.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

bgnorth

Jun 11, 2014
✟7,614.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No, it doesn't seem right. But for a lot of people it is easier to blame others than to see the proverbial log in their own eye.

Not that, in my view, there even is a "log in the eye" in such a case. Christian "thought crime" theology is just such weird stuff.

Yes, thought crime exactly. IMO, that is the hardest part in dealing with some of these topics about appropriate Christian actions. The thought crime notion can make anyone feel unnecessary guilty, myself included. This is something that I have dealt with for years, especially related to sex.

Upvote 0

abacabb3

Jul 14, 2013
✟82,385.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Each person is responsible for handling their own temptation. Blaming other people for it shows lack of self control and personal responsibility.

I thought CHristians were supposed to bear another's burdens (Gal 6:2) and not cause weaker believer's to stumble (Rom 14:21) instead of selfishly doing whatever we want.

Upvote 0

Freodin

Mar 9, 2002
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
I thought CHristians were supposed to bear another's burdens (Gal 6:2) and not cause weaker believer's to stumble (Rom 14:21) instead of selfishly doing whatever we want.

If you carry on in this way, I am heavily tempted to come over and do something unpleasent to you.

Now will you stop causing me to stumble and shut up?

No? You will carry on to selfishly do whatever you want?

I really wonder why that is.

Seriously. There is something like "tempting others"... a conscious deliberate decision to get another person to do something that you know he thinks is wrong. Everything else that you think "tempts" you is just you being... inconsequent.

You have every right to disagree with your own thoughts and not to act on your own impulses. But you have no right to blame others for your thoughts or actions... and no right to prevent them from acting on their own rights.

Upvote 0

Cute Tink

Blah
Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2002
✟125,391.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

You'll note I didn't mention Christians at all in my post, just people. I'm not going to extend this opinion of mine further than the subject matter at hand: a woman feeding a baby.

If a person cannot handle seeing a baby eat from the most natural of all food sources, then the problem lies not with the one feeding the baby, but the one lusting after the mother for it.

There are more delicate ways to handle breastfeeding in public and were I in the position of breastfeeding, I would be covered, because I wouldn't want to be lusted after for feeding my baby.

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I would love to get some feedback on this topic. It doesn't seem right that a Christian man would blame a breastfeeding mother for his temptation.
No, it doesn't.
Yeah, I agree. And men should whip out their privates and pee in public too, it's only natural.
I'm sorry, are you under the impression that evolution put breasts there for you to enjoy?
Are we talking about breastfeeding or naked dancing? Who exactly is acting selfishly?

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,556.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I tend to not put much weight to an article that is possibly cherry picking and still does not come up with a really good smoking gun.

Still I will say it seems strange to me that some want a babe to go hungry for hours so they might not be tempted.

If any have cause for complaint it would be infertile women. I can see that really (unintentionally) rubbing their noses in their infertility.

Until they complain the others can remain suck it up.

Reactions: Ana the Ist
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JustMeSee

Contributor
Feb 9, 2008
In my living room.
✟23,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Breastfeeding is possibly the least sexual aspects of breasts. It is a baby feeding, which is necessary. It should be celebrated.

If a man or woman is tempted sexually by this, simply look away and mind some other business.

Upvote 0

abacabb3

Jul 14, 2013
✟82,385.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you carry on in this way, I am heavily tempted to come over and do something unpleasent to you...You have every right to disagree with your own thoughts and not to act on your own impulses. But you have no right to blame others for your thoughts or actions... and no right to prevent them from acting on their own rights.

The question was posed to Christians, I gave the Scripturally consistent answer.

Upvote 0

abacabb3

Jul 14, 2013
✟82,385.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You'll note I didn't mention Christians at all in my post, just people. I'm not going to extend this opinion of mine further than the subject matter at hand: a woman feeding a baby.

If a person cannot handle seeing a baby eat from the most natural of all food sources, then the problem lies not with the one feeding the baby, but the one lusting after the mother for it.

There are more delicate ways to handle breastfeeding in public and were I in the position of breastfeeding, I would be covered, because I wouldn't want to be lusted after for feeding my baby.

You're in the wrong forums not to look for a Christian view.

Upvote 0

abacabb3

Jul 14, 2013
✟82,385.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm sorry, are you under the impression that evolution put breasts there for you to enjoy?
According to the Bible, that's one of the things they exist for, so husbands may delight in them.

Are we talking about breastfeeding or naked dancing? Who exactly is acting selfishly?

Selfish is not caring what may be disruptive of other people. There are private places to do such a thing. The fact that the question has to even be asked belies that the answer is already generally understood in this situation.

Upvote 0

Freodin

Mar 9, 2002
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
The question was posed to Christians, I gave the Scripturally consistent answer.
Yes and no.

These verses state that you should help out each other, and strengthen each other.

They do not say how. It is as valid - and a better approach psychologically as well as spiritually - to teach those weak-willed men how to deal with their own mind than to surpress others.

As I said so jokingly: you are now tempting me. According to your view of these verses, that means you must be stopped... or you will be responsible for my "stumbling".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Freodin

Mar 9, 2002
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
Read Romans 14 again. It is all about not doing things that you are fine with simply because how it affects other people.

This is exactly what I am talking about!

So when are you going to shut up?

Upvote 0

Cute Tink

Blah
Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2002
✟125,391.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
You're in the wrong forums not to look for a Christian view.

I'm not in a religion required section of the forum. This is ethics and morality. I get to offer my view regardless of your personal opinion.

Also, I'm not "looking for a Christian view". I'm offering my opinion as a member of society.

You are welcome to your Christian view on this subject. I've not said there was anything wrong with your view at all. Just know that should some guy (Christian or not) feel temptation because of a breastfeeding woman, I will be expecting him to accept that it is his problem, not hers.

Upvote 0

Skaloop

Agnostic atheist, pro-choice anti-abortion
May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
According to the Bible, that's one of the things they exist for, so husbands may delight in them.

Chapter and verse?

Selfish is not caring what may be disruptive of other people. There are private places to do such a thing. The fact that the question has to even be asked belies that the answer is already generally understood in this situation.

Are you suggesting that the "right" to not be inconvenienced supersedes the rights of a babe to be taken care of and properly fed?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.