Christian marriage same gender? Where???

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRD4Him

Apr 26, 2010
✟952.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Since the Bible is used so often by non Christians to show Christians how they should act, then for the sake of morality and ethics, let's ask this question:

Where, in the New Testament, is there ANY cause or justification, to define or support "Christian marriage" between people of the same gender?

(And please, keep to the subject of this OP and do not compare misbehaviors of Christians to enter the discussion.

For example: "Christians commit adultery and get divorces, so, same sex marriage should be allowed in Christian churches."

That would show same sex marriage as another wrong behavior and certainly comparing wrongs to make a right wouldn't fit the description of morality or ethics.)

So the question:

Where, in the New Testament, is there ANY cause or justification, to define or support "Christian marriage" between people of the same gender?

Psudopod

Godspeed, Spacebat
Apr 11, 2006
Bath
✟11,638.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
In Relationship
Where is the justification for eating rice or spagetti in the bible, as opposed to bread? But I've never seen a Christian complaining about eating sushi or carbonara. It's unlikely that the bible writers would have spent much time writing about things that weren't part of their culture, unless they felt that this was something detrimental - hence the comments about pagan rites.

Upvote 0

DRD4Him

Apr 26, 2010
✟952.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Where is the justification for eating rice or spagetti in the bible, as opposed to bread? But I've never seen a Christian complaining about eating sushi or carbonara.

It's unlikely that the bible writers would have spent much time writing about things that weren't part of their culture, unless they felt that this was something detrimental - hence the comments about pagan rites.

Here, try that again:

in the New Testament,

is there ANY cause or justification, to define or support "Christian marriage" between people of the same gender?

BTW, same sex marriage was certainly "in the culture" of the first century church. Google Nero and Sporus.

Or better yet here ya go: Suetonius: Nero 27-29

A glimpse of that site:

. . . Doryphorus; for he was even married to this man in the same way that he himself had married Sporus, going so far as to imitate the cries and lamentations of a maiden being deflowered. I have heard from some men that it was his unshaken conviction that no man was chaste or pure in any partof his body, but that most of them concealed their vices and cleverly drew a veil over them; and that therefore he pardoned all other faults in those who confessed to him their lewdness.

- Suetonius

Upvote 0

lawtonfogle

My solace my terror, my terror my solace.
Apr 20, 2005
✟13,892.00
Faith
Christian

Well, there is one part, but it is a very dangerous part to play with. Paul speaks it is better to get married than to be consumed by your sexual desires. For a homosexual without the gift of celibacy... well Paul doesn't say it doesn't apply to them. The problem is that this would also apply to other people with atypical (and possibly quite harmful) sexual attractions without the gift of celibacy... like those with incestuous attractions. Paul really doesn't point out if the whole 'get married so you don't commit sexual sins' really applies to only 'normal' heterosexuals.

Upvote 0

DRD4Him

Apr 26, 2010
✟952.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well, there is one part, but it is a very dangerous part to play with. Paul speaks it is better to get married than to be consumed by your sexual desires. For a homosexual without the gift of celibacy... well Paul doesn't say it doesn't apply to them. The problem is that this would also apply to other people with atypical (and possibly quite harmful) sexual attractions without the gift of celibacy... like those with incestuous attractions. Paul really doesn't point out if the whole 'get married so you don't commit sexual sins' really applies to only 'normal' heterosexuals.

Marriage is well defined throughout the new testament as man and woman.

Is it not?

Upvote 0
P

Phinehas2

lawtonfogle,
No!
1 Corinthians 6 is written to the church, to the believers, look at the start of the letter, 2To the church of God in Corinth, to those sanctified in Christ Jesus and called to be holy, together with all those everywhere who call on the name of our Lord Jesus Christ—their Lord and ours:
1 Corinthians 6 refers to the believers no longer being homosexual offenders.
So when 1 Corinthians 7 says it is better to marry than burn with passion, it is speaking to believers who are no longer sexually immoral or homosexual offenders. So it doesn’t apply to practicing homosexuals as practicing homosexuals are not in the church or the Kingdom.

The OP asks about the scriptural evidence rather than faulty assumptions.

Upvote 0

lawtonfogle

Apr 20, 2005
✟13,892.00
Faith
Christian
lawtonfogle,
No!
1 Corinthians 6 is written to the church, to the believers, look at the start of the letter, 2To the church of God in Corinth, to those sanctified in Christ Jesus and called to be holy, together with all those everywhere who call on the name of our Lord Jesus Christ—their Lord and ours:
1 Corinthians 6 refers to the believers no longer being homosexual offenders.
So when 1 Corinthians 7 says it is better to marry than burn with passion, it is speaking to believers who are no longer sexually immoral or homosexual offenders. So it doesn’t apply to practicing homosexuals as practicing homosexuals are not in the church or the Kingdom.

Who ever said I was referring to active homosexuals? Perhaps I was talking about someone who was homosexual, but was abstaining just like a non-married heterosexual likely wants sex and is abstaining. But in the case of the heterosexual, why is there a way out, when the homosexual has none? Don't assume that God will make you have an 'acceptable' sexual attraction when you turn Christian. There are people trying to live according to God's word, but they have not the option of marriage nor the gift of celibacy. If they truly care about not compromising their Christian values, they are left in a place that few Christians can even comprehend. I don't know why, but God leaves some people no option to be burned by passion. It is like how God let Satan destroy Job on so many levels, except unlike Job's case, the only end to it is death.

Upvote 0

Supernaut

What did they aim for when they missed your heart?
Jun 12, 2009
Sacramento, CA
✟12,439.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Jesus had nothing to say about homosexuality. Nothing negative nor positive. As we are to love our neighbors, I choose to accept and love them.

Jesus made mention of a man leaving his family to join with a woman....but as Lawtonfogle has already said, it was not an exclusive.

Upvote 0
P

Phinehas2

lawtonfogle,
No, it is defined as male and female, and even then, it is done inclusively, not exclusively
Male and female is man and woman, there are only two sexes in the species.

Who ever said I was referring to active homosexuals?

The letter is written to believers, The believer has two words and gifts given throughout the NT, as specified both in 1 Corinthians 7 and Matthew 19, faithful man woman marriage or celibacy, that applies to all believers, is the homosexual you referred to a believer or not?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
P

Phinehas2

Supernaught454,
Jesus had nothing to say about homosexuality. Nothing negative nor positive. As we are to love our neighbors, I choose to accept and love them.

Jesus made mention of a man leaving his family to join with a woman....but as Lawtonfogle has already said, it was not an exclusive.
Off topic and as seen by the scripture, wrong!

Upvote 0

lawtonfogle

Apr 20, 2005
✟13,892.00
Faith
Christian
lawtonfogle,
Male and female is man and woman, there are only two sexes in the species.
They are not the same. Male and female allow for child marriages, man and woman do not. Of course, the topic of the Bible and child marriage is probably off topic and not a place you want to go.

The letter is written to believers, The believer has two words and gifts given throughout the NT, as specified both in 1 Corinthians 7 and Matthew 19, faithful man woman marriage or celibacy, that applies to all believers, is the homosexual you referred to a believer or not?

Before we get that far, do you believe homosexual attractions are a sin?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
P

Phinehas2

lawtonfogle,
They are not the same.
Yes they are men are male and women are female.

Male and female allow for child marriages, man and woman do not.
No the teaching is that a man shall leave his father and mother and be united with his wife, so not child marriages. The question is about where is the support for same gender marriage, stay on topic please.

Before we get that far, do you believe homosexual attractions are a sin?
So have you got that yet The letter is written to believers, The believer has two words and gifts given throughout the NT, as specified both in 1 Corinthians 7 and Matthew 19, faithful man woman marriage or celibacy, that applies to all believers, is the homosexual you referred to a believer or not?

Upvote 0

Fenny the Fox

Apr 21, 2009
Rock Hill, SC
Visit site
✟23,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Sorry to be semantic, but, I have to say this, as it is a major pet-peeve of mine - gender does not equal sex. Gender is the behavioral and cultural roles typically associated with sex. While sex ("male" or "female") is derived due to the actual physiological distinction between the two reproductive systems of the species. They are generally linked, but are not equal.

Thereby: one could enter into an opposite gender marriage that is indeed same-sex.

Use of terms correctly really does matter.

Reactions: FlamingFemme
Upvote 0

wanderingone

I'm not lost I'm just wandering
Jul 6, 2005
New York
✟30,779.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't need the bible to "support" same sex marriage. Marriage in the US is a product of the "the state" with religious topping when the couple chooses it. I feel no need to convince any person of any faith background that they should or shouldn't accept same sex marriage as a valid "Christian" concept based on biblical interpretation.

People in the US who can legally marry are not required to meet a religious criteria for that marriage and religious entities are not required to recognize any marriage they don't agree with. There's no reason not to allow people who wouldn't be allowed to marry in some Christian churches to get married since we already do.

Upvote 0

DRD4Him

Apr 26, 2010
✟952.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Nero wasn't Jewish, though was he? The roman empire did not become Christian until later.

Nice try, but, "they" were living in Roman Judea. They lved under Roman rule, Roman Law and in a Roman culture.

Render to Caesar what is Caesar's . . . right?

They knew what same gender sexual behavior was and is.

We know it as homosexuality or LGBT culture.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.