J.T.

Nov 12, 2016
Phoenix
✟8,444.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My lazy attempts to seek the Lord are either motivated by fear of hell or done out of guilt. I sometimes feel guilty for ignoring God so I pray. I don't seek him because I love him or want him. I seek him out of selfish ambition. I've asked that he help change my perspective on him so that I can love and trust him but my heart has grown harder against him. Are my attempts to seek him in vain?

I do similar things myself. It's mostly out of fear of something that I try to contact him because that's when I need him the most.

It's only when I go to church that I seek him out when I'm not in need of his help.

Upvote 0

Dr Bruce Atkinson

Supporter
Site Supporter
Feb 19, 2013
Atlanta, GA
✟65,538.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My lazy attempts to seek the Lord are either motivated by fear of hell or done out of guilt. I sometimes feel guilty for ignoring God so I pray. I don't seek him because I love him or want him. I seek him out of selfish ambition. I've asked that he help change my perspective on him so that I can love and trust him but my heart has grown harder against him. Are my attempts to seek him in vain?

It is never in vain to seek God! Jeremiah 29:13-14a: "You will seek Me and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart. 'I will be found by you,' declares the LORD, 'and I will restore your fortunes ..."
But remember that we have enemies in the world, the flesh, and the devil. It may take time; persevere, give Him your all.

Upvote 0

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟886,048.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I don't know if it helps, but seek God and at the same time knowing you can't find God by yourself. It's him finding you. So seek God knowing it's not about your efforts but about his mercy. Maybe that will give you a new perspective? Trust in him, in that he has payed for your sins in full, and start there. It's done, seek with that trust in your heart, rather than with struggle.

I would also say, forget totally about what you feel, if you feel love to God or not, it's not about that. It's not the feelings. It's the choice you make to trust in him. God bless you!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I'd like to PM if you if thats ok! I don't think I can until you follow me or something?

God Bless
It might be a security setting in our profiles. I just found out that mine are set to 'no' until I changed it.

Maybe the software upgrade changed them, IDK.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Nobody can judge you but I suspect you really don't want to be bothered with God but do want an insurance policy in case He exists.
What even gives you the right to say this? You don't know her, yet you know her heart. Gimmee a break.

Such judgement from Christians who are ONLY saved through what Christ did, but are so happy to condemn others.

Upvote 0

Humble Servant of Christ

Humble Mustanger
Aug 12, 2016
Illinois
✟27,038.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Your walk with God is likely a gradual one. It evolves over time as you get to know him and his word. I found that focusing on one aspect of his grace or even one part of the Bible can start you down a road of deeper understanding. Remember Jesus waits at our door for us. He is patient, don't be hard on yourself. By even questioning yourself, you are likely beginning the process of planting deep roots in faith. Be strong and don't be hard on yourself. Also please ignore those you try to knock your journey with God. God made us all unique so he can have a unique relationship with us. Not everyone walks the same path. Yours is unique and I am very happy for you. Enjoy the journey. You have a great companion in Jesus. Also kudos to ToBeLoved! Could not have said it better!

Upvote 0

coolbluestar

Apr 23, 2011
✟15,215.00
Faith
Non-Denom
There are lots of obstacle in the world that it gets so confusing to understand. But by prayer and petition with thanksgiving, request your petition to God - this scripture will always guide you to the right path. Don't be fooled by your mind telling you about that guilt. God's thoughts are not our thoughts. He is a God of comfort and in times of need. If you want to pray, then pray. Remember to be with God is not about hard work. We are with Him because of Grace. And that my friend is what counts.

Upvote 0

JohnKing67

Dec 2, 2014
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
✟11,631.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I guess my first question to you would be if you've ever been saved. I mean really saved as in a born again experience. God has to change you into the person he wants you to be. It's not something you can do yourself.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Love isn't a feeling. It can come WITH a feeling. But really it is a set of actions. 1 John 5:3 says, "In fact, this is love for God: to keep his commands. " You CAN manage that. It is a thing of the will, with the help of God's grace. The first step is to find out what God commands. There is the two broad principals: Love God and Love your neighbor as yourself. And then their are the applications of those principals in specifics: Don't murder, don't steal, don't gossip, don't fornicate, don't cheat...etc. You find out these commands by reading the Bible. They are in the New Testament, and it doesn't hurt to study the 5 books of law, although there are a lot of Temple laws that no longer apply. Obeying isn't just a matter of "Thou shalt not." There are things we should be doing as well, acts of kindness. We learn to see Christ in the face of the poor, the abused child, the homeless, the single mother, the struggling immigrant. "In as much as you do to the least of these my brethren, you do so unto me." That's how you love Jesus.

Support your study with prayer, or your faith will be dryer than dirt, and a chore. You want a relationship with God, and you can't have a relationship without communication. God cares about you. Share your troubles with him and your joys. Tell him about your day. Give him thanks for all the little things you normally take for granted. Ask him what areas of your life are areas of concern -- places where you are not being the best person you can be, and then listen for his answer. And then together with him, plan what you can do about it. Ask for the grace to proceed. Examine your conscience and see if there are any sins you need to confess to him. And don't forget to pray for the needs of others. It doesn't hurt to end by saying the Our Father. This is how you nurture an intimate relationship.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Apr 22, 2017
Grants Pass
✟15,428.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No not in vain He says ask and keep asking, knock and keep knocking...don't let the enemy rob you of your joy....it will come please keep pressing into Him and never give in to the enemies devices!

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Love isn't a feeling. It can come WITH a feeling. But really it is a set of actions. 1 John 5:3 says, "In fact, this is love for God: to keep his commands. " You CAN manage that. It is a thing of the will, with the help of God's grace. The first step is to find out what God commands. There is the two broad principals: Love God and Love your neighbor as yourself. And then their are the applications of those principals in specifics: Don't murder, don't steal, don't gossip, don't fornicate, don't cheat...etc. You find out these commands by reading the Bible. They are in the New Testament, and it doesn't hurt to study the 5 books of law, although there are a lot of Temple laws that no longer apply. Obeying isn't just a matter of "Thou shalt not." There are things we should be doing as well, acts of kindness. We learn to see Christ in the face of the poor, the abused child, the homeless, the single mother, the struggling immigrant. "In as much as you do to the least of these my brethren, you do so unto me." That's how you love Jesus.

Support your study with prayer, or your faith will be dryer than dirt, and a chore. You want a relationship with God, and you can't have a relationship without communication. God cares about you. Share your troubles with him and your joys. Tell him about your day. Give him thanks for all the little things you normally take for granted. Ask him what areas of your life are areas of concern -- places where you are not being the best person you can be, and then listen for his answer. And then together with him, plan what you can do about it. Ask for the grace to proceed. Examine your conscience and see if there are any sins you need to confess to him. And don't forget to pray for the needs of others. It doesn't hurt to end by saying the Our Father. This is how you nurture an intimate relationship.
great post!

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Luke*.... for you... we ALL at some point have to make a choice. To follow or not. The choice is ours. We are IN or not. There is no ..kinda in ..a little. No..no middle ground. Its.. we are not of this world. We dont love this world nor the things in this world. If we do then love for the Farther is not in us. YET..Jesus came to give us LIFE!

See we PUT HIM 1st.. we seek HIS kingdom and HIS righteousness then all these things will be added unto us.

Luke* JESUS IS REAL!...no HE IS REAL! So when you are alone.. tell me ALL you said here..tell HIM you need something REAL! For what you see had is not. And if you are who you say you are..show me.

now mean it with your heart.. and then HOLD ON! This GOD..is real. Remember we are FREE. And He has to KNOW we MEAN IT. It has to come from our heart.. to be blind.. to walk where you cant see..to fly a kite
in the wind where there is no wind.. I am saying FAITH! Be like a child and just ask and then believe. Read His word.. watch it become REAL and alive

Upvote 0