Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think the Christian "anti-folk" artists (Danielson Famile, Sufjan Stevens, Anathallo, et al) are about the closest I've come so far in my search for Christian "experimental music". Unusual instrumentation, creative arrangements, intelligent lyrics (if any)... Am I the only person around here who craves more experimentally-minded music made by Christians?

white_frog914

I love you but I'm still a liar
Oct 4, 2004
Kokomo, Indiana
Visit site
✟1,968.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I remember being completely blown away the first time I heard Anathallo, so I'll agree with you.

Have you ever heard of Galactic Cowboys? They're long broken up, but they're semi-experimental, they don't have the same sound as the bands you listed do though.

Upvote 0

The Theory

Bagpipes well could he blow.
May 23, 2002
Lancaster, PA
Visit site
✟2,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Daniel Amos' early work was superb. Especially the Alarma! Chronicles.
Their cd "Fearful Symmetry" has one of the craziest songs I've ever heard from a Christian market band.

Daniel Amos' lead singer/songwriter/genious is Terry Scott Taylor. Go to www.danielamos.com and get his solo 2 disc set, "Imaginarium." It'll cost you $20, but it's well worth it. Especially if you're into Daneilson Famile stuff. But yeah, Terry Scott Taylor is freakin' insane. Such vision.

I assume you're familiar with Half Handed Cloud?

Beyond that... there really isn't much. Christians have never been too into "experimentalism"... and labels are very unwilling to release it because there is zero market for it.

I'm glad I saw this thread-- experimental music is definitely my quest in life. If I think of anything else I'll post it.

Upvote 0

The Theory

May 23, 2002
Lancaster, PA
Visit site
✟2,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
see, I thought of another just now.

Tantrum of the Muse. They're harder than anything you listed, but their two cds are totally whacked out. Very Mike Patton influenced, but with a Roadside Monument twist. Both of their cds (The Heart Is A Two Headed Sperm and Moderm Mu$ic 2000) are mega out of print and can be tough to find, but they do pop up on ebay several times a year. Their first cd, THIATHS is definitely harder, but very eerie. Their second one is a lot more toned down stylistically, but I think it's brilliant.

Upvote 0

The Theory

May 23, 2002
Lancaster, PA
Visit site
✟2,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
And another one.

Suffering & The Hideous Theives. Jeff Suffering had been in the very good Tooth & Nail spazz-punk band Ninety Pound Wuss. Then they broke up and he became himself. The vocals are very Mike Patton influenced, with the music leaning more towards a waltzy folk... only with no holds barred. The good news is that his stuff is still in print and can be found at www.lujorecords.com at reasonable prices. I recommend their album "Ashamed."

Reactions: JulianaTheory
Upvote 0

thenewageriseth

Stranger in my town, commoner in my realm
Apr 28, 2005
Illinois
Visit site
✟27,180.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
[quote=gnombient]I think the Christian "anti-folk" artists (Danielson Famile, Sufjan Stevens, Anathallo, et al) are about the closest I've come so far in my search for Christian "experimental music". Unusual instrumentation, creative arrangements, intelligent lyrics (if any)... Am I the only person around here who craves more experimentally-minded music made by Christians?[/quote]

You mean like ambience music? or New Age type music mixed with electronica and Christian music? kinda like that? :confused: :cool:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

swingnscream

more music - dance our troubles away
Jan 25, 2004
I roll with the foxes and hunt with the hounds
✟11,702.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
First thing that comes to mind would be the Listening
Mute Math
ActionReaction [not sure about the Christian title, but they come from the Christian scene]
Something else that maybe a little "anti folk" would also be Riley Armstrong

maybe some of those would be to your taste? I think of some other, but they maybe too mainstream even though they're still rather experimental in what they do or attempt. Anyways, Enjoy.

Upvote 0

The Theory

May 23, 2002
Lancaster, PA
Visit site
✟2,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
experimental is a concept more than a specific sound. Essentially, it stretches the boundaries of what we consider "pop" or "rock" or "jazz" or whatever music. It rarely has mass appeal, and usually it's main purpose in being created is... well, creativity. Usually mixed with sounds that may seem random or out of place, but fit in with the underlying theme.

For example, I would consider Bjork to be experimental (though, not Christian) because she doesn't limit herself to "pop music" and what other people say should sound good. Another example would be Merzbow. Another non-Christian artist, his music is essentially noise and finding the patterns that emerge from it. Neither Bjork or Merzbow sound anything alike, but they are experimental.

Reactions: stonetoflesh
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

The Theory

May 23, 2002
Lancaster, PA
Visit site
✟2,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
well. not really... i mean. Industrial music CAN be experimental-- but as a rule I wouldn't say industrial is experimental music. Like I said-- it's more or a mindset then a genre.

Go to amazon.com and check out some of the sound clips they have of the Danielson Famile and Half-Handed Cloud. And then Sufjan Stevens.

Upvote 0

stonetoflesh

reformed librarie-keeper
Apr 20, 2004
Round Rock, TX
✟11,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
thenewageriseth said:
You mean like ambience music? or New Age type music mixed with electronica and Christian music? kinda like that? :confused: :cool:

Not necessarily. Some ambient music might fall into the experimental camp, some might not; like The Theory said in a recent post, "experimental" isn't really a genre label, it's really more descriptive ofa state of mind or how one approaches the process of making music than anything else. An experimental musician 's work might draw from one or more genres (rock, jazz, folk, classical, industrial, ambient, etc.); at some point though, familiar genre conventions are cast off in favor of experimenting with other elements-- "non-traditional" instrumentation, unusual rhythmic/harmonic/melodic elements, incorporating electronic noise or field recordings, or anything else which the musician can think of. So while a genre tag might be helpful to the uninitiated listener as an initial point of departure, they can definitely be misleading... Christian experimental music = experimental music made by Christians.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone; time to do some research! :wave:

Upvote 0

The Theory

May 23, 2002
Lancaster, PA
Visit site
✟2,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Now that I think about it, I'll mention 16 Horsepower, also. Along with Woven Hand. If you're familiar with some of Sounds Familyre's (the record label) albums, you might be aware of Woven Hand. It is David Eugene Edward's solo project which tends to be fairly... I don't want to say mellow... but almost has that feel toit, despite it's occational fierce disposition. David Eugene Edwards also worked with 16 Horsepower which had put on one of the best live shows I've seen. They were similar to Woven Hand, only more intense. I used to describe them as "gothic americana with a punk rock heart." But even that doesn't really do it justice.

Upvote 0