Christian Direction and Identity

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
That was called breaking the fast of the Sabbath. The Gentile religion took subtle steps to de-Jew their religion, in this case redefining what was once done..
The enemy was already present in the first century, frequently as "many anti-christs among us" is written.
The enemy went to great effort and deception, and frequently succeeded in tricking people , as also verified by most all Scripture re most people in the world.

Upvote 0

Norman70

Nov 8, 2018
St Philip
✟62,302.00
Country
Barbados
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Christians worshipped on the first day of the week gathered around the table of the Lord to break bread. They did that religiously.
According to the accepted dictionary definitions of religion that is perfectly true. However, I do not believe they thought their meeting together would produce the monolithic authoritarian structure we now call Christianity. Jesus certainly did not want that. All He wanted was a belief in God, to treat each other as we would wish to be treated, to love our enemies as ourselves, and He gave us a promise of an after-life.

Reactions: timothyu
Upvote 0

Eloy Craft

Myth only points, Truth happened!
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2018
Chandler
✟386,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That was called breaking the fast of the Sabbath. The Gentile religion took subtle steps to de-Jew their religion, in this case redefining what was once done..
The first Christians would gather before dawn on the day Jesus resurrected seeing in that event the new and eternal Day. They broke the bread as the sun rose above the horizon. This was clear evidence that creation was making visible the truth of the resurrection. It had very little tl do with Jewish custom and everything to do with obedience to Our Lord. He said to do that in remembrance of Him.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,281.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The first Christians would gather before dawn on the day Jesus resurrected seeing in that event the new and eternal Day. They broke the bread as the sun rose above the horizon. This was clear evidence that creation was making visible the truth of the resurrection. It had very little tl do with Jewish custom and everything to do with obedience to Our Lord. He said to do that in remembrance of Him.
That sounds like taking six words and turning it into a screenplay.

Upvote 0

Eloy Craft

Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2018
Chandler
✟386,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
According to the accepted dictionary definitions of religion that is perfectly true. However, I do not believe they thought their meeting together would produce the monolithic authoritarian structure we now call Christianity. Jesus certainly did not want that. All He wanted was a belief in God, to treat each other as we would wish to be treated, to love our enemies as ourselves, and He gave us a promise of an after-life.
I have to agree in part. Jesus didn't intend His disciples to be lead like a secular government or a corporation with leaders that treat their call as a career. OTOH He did pick 12 to lead His Body. Like the 12 sons ofAdam and the 12 tribes, 12 are chosen because it signifies governance over a growing population. Jesus did want His people to be organized as a structured social institution. He intended His followers to grow and mature down the generations structured as a family.

Reactions: timothyu
Upvote 0

Norman70

Nov 8, 2018
St Philip
✟62,302.00
Country
Barbados
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The twelve disciples were all ordinary mortal men, with few aspirations to become leaders in a new religion. (There are many men and women like this nowadays. I was one as a young anarchist teacher, staying at the chalk-face for 40 years and never wanting promotion).
Of course they did become leaders, they had an intimate relationship with Jesus and they gained profound knowledge of the Hebrew Bible. They had this authority, but never pursued authoritarianism.
Jesus did want His people to be organized as a structured social institution. He intended His followers to grow and mature down the generations structured as a family.
This is an excellent description of an anarchist society. Anarchism, understood properly, accepts leadership and authority, and of course supports law and order. There is no chaos when the Law of God is the only law we adhere to. Christian Anarchism is what we should study and strive for, but not as a religion.

Upvote 0

Eloy Craft

Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2018
Chandler
✟386,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There is no chaos when the Law of God is the only law we adhere to. Christian Anarchism is what we should study and strive for, but not as a religion.
Who's law of God do we adhere to?

Without structure and ritual there would be no Christians today. It would lack the unity and stre3ngth to endure the onslaught of it's enemies down the centuries. Jesus revealed to us what to believe and commanded certain rituals to be done. He designed a hierarchal society in that there is a leadership with His own authority to teach. Like a child's parents have authority from God to teach their children. As for the kind of religion Jesus started. A new religion didn't happen. The religion God initiated in the beginning was handed down for generations, then made visible among the nations and complete when it found it's true object in Christ. Thats 'the' religion no way around it.
That sounds like taking six words and turning it into a screenplay.
Thats kinda true. Those six words "do this in remembrance of me" Are the foundation of Christian worship.
A set of common beliefs expressed through common behaviors is a religion. It's not a dirty word.

Upvote 0

Norman70

Nov 8, 2018
St Philip
✟62,302.00
Country
Barbados
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Who's law of God do we adhere to?
I thought there was only one Law of God, I did not know there were several versions of it. It is a spiritual Law, hence the use of an upper case L (which I notice you did not use) and it is the one towards which we are all striving.
The Sermon on the Mount is an excellent written version of it, and gives full instructions as to how to deal with our enemies. We do not need heirarchies.
The Israelites asked Samuel to ask God to give them a king to protect them from their enemies but God warned them of the consequences. They insisted so God gave them one, and said that you will get what you deserve because you have rejected Me as your King. So here we are, with little to thank Christianity for. A few good Christians have tried, and lots of good things have been done and are still being done, but collectively we are no nearer to the Kingdom of God. That does not auger well for the hierarchical structures of Christianity. Oh yes, the ones at the top of the pyramid are doing very nicely.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,281.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Without structure and ritual there would be no Christians today.
Now you are catching on, but the vessel is not the contents. The vessel needed to forward the contents past the fall of Judea and into the hands of the Gentiles, is purely human, containing a duality. One group within Christianity in the tradition of man makes it about self and even teaching a gospel of personal salvation, setting up a kingdom of their own (both self oriented). The other following the ways of God's Kingdom/governance sets the example of loving all as self, devoting itself not to self in any form, but to others.

Reactions: Norman70
Upvote 0

Norman70

Nov 8, 2018
St Philip
✟62,302.00
Country
Barbados
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Now you are catching on, but the vessel is not the contents.
I like your metaphor, and of course all pottery is man-made.
I am reminded of the SDA Quarterly "Oneness In Christ" to which I have already referred. In an early page they frankly admit that the Seventh Day Adventist Church is not the universal church of Christ, the members of which are well described here, and I quote:
The other following the ways of God's Kingdom/governance sets the example of loving all as self, devoting itself not to self in any form, but to others.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums