Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

Your story about your friend who eventually ended up on drugs seems to represent a larger picture in the conspiracy theory crowd: there's something going on inside themselves but they try to shine a brighter light on things (manufactured theories or not) elsewhere to avoid attention their "flaws".

I can't stand TBN, it's just chalk full of rubbish IMHO. I'm sure some people, somewhere are edified by what they do but altogether they're just an evangelical dispensationalist propaganda machine to me.

When I was much more conservative I thought the Tea Party was great but I've since evolved away from that substantially and now see everything you see—inconsistencies and a slightly disconcerting zeal.

+Infinity points for Seinfeld reference.

Yes that's true, I think the "ridiculous" conspiracy theories kind of neutralize any hope of the actual ones ever gaining traction. I don't doubt that there are actual conspiracy's circulating, like the type that involve a regime change in a third world country or terrorism. Things like that, but when it comes to conspiracy's about aliens, reptilian-people, or one-world governments I can only roll my eyes.

I suppose it's inevitable, it's true I haven't made any Orthodox friends in real life so all I have to go on is what I experience here on CF. I don't think I've ever seen an Orthodox member in Eschatology at all, let alone there to post conspiracy related claptrap.

Back during WWI, Florida's governor was Sidney Catts. He was anti-german and anti-catholic) He honestly believed
(San Antonio is a tiny town which was made up of German Catholic immigrants, most of which are related to me)

That's about as insane as they come... I mean really? The Vatican in Florida? I guess the Pope wanted to retire...

2 words: Dan Brown

Enough said....

- Jadd

Ha true.

Hey, the only reason I don't wear a tinfoil hat is because by my calculations, "they" figured a way past it already.

That looks hot... like baked potato hot.

Yeah, I've heard just about everything out there, though some members here continue to surprise me with the new inventions they conjure up. It's too bad cause, like you say, they're often excellent people but they're caught up in these horribly off-track obsessions that really only seem to serve to make them ineffective in serving Christ.

My reaction tends to be to ask about their view and question it a little, but ultimately I have to remember to let them be, as nothing I say will likely change their minds about anything.

Yeah, at the end of the day that's usually the case. I've actually been very surprised to see a member here appear to reconsider at least some of their eschatological positions. I think they held some pretty heavy dispensational and conspiracy-related ideas but are now paying more attention to historical facts and such. Ultimately though, I think you're right, most people here, especially in that sphere won't change their minds. Asking difficult questions though is always a good thing.

Reactions: Colleen1
Upvote 0

freezerman2000

Living and dying in 3/4 time
Feb 24, 2011
South Carolina
✟39,130.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

But..but..but I LIKE "Ancient Aliens"!
Some is outrageous, but some makes me wonder...Puma-Punku for instance..How did they do it...what was it used for?
Ancient Mysteries - Puma Punku in Tiahuanaco

Upvote 0

freezerman2000

Feb 24, 2011
South Carolina
✟39,130.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, there is no obligation to pay attention to the News Media.

You can just turn off the T.V.

And there is no obligation to the online forums either.

I invite you to stop watching TV, and unplug the 'net
Sorry, I just had to put that in..

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Well, there is no obligation to pay attention to the News Media.

You can just turn off the T.V.

And there is no obligation to the online forums either.

Yeah I can, the pros outweigh the cons, it's just sometimes the cons are pretty ridiculous.

But..but..but I LIKE "Ancient Aliens"!
Some is outrageous, but some makes me wonder...Puma-Punku for instance..How did they do it...what was it used for?
Ancient Mysteries - Puma Punku in Tiahuanaco

Yeah that's pretty trippy, maybe it's one of those "the foolish confound the wise" instances and the builders really just did something extremely primitive that happened to work.

Get... OUT... of... my... HEAD!

You got me, I actually LOL'ed.

You're right, I guess my exposure has been limited to American Protestants/Evangelicals and so I thought it was mainly a theological root issue more than anything else. I guess it's true though, it doesn't matter what tradition you subscribe to there's always a propensity to get sucked down the rabbit hole if your priorities are slightly out of whack.

I would still speculate though that there's a slightly higher probability in Evangelicalism (and perhaps most strongly in non-denominationalism) to be attracted to conspiracy theories because of the various beliefs that conflict with orthodoxy and because they've "rejected the norm" so much already as it were. I guess that's more of a pseudo-psychological take on it than anything else.

Upvote 0

freezerman2000

Feb 24, 2011
South Carolina
✟39,130.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"Yeah that's pretty trippy, maybe it's one of those "the foolish confound the wise" instances and the builders really just did something extremely primitive that happened to work. "

Mock it if you must, but suppose YOU explain how a pre-Inca Civilization was able to cut stone as hard as that with such precision with primitive tools? Rocks cut at perfect 90 degree angles...rock faces as smooth as a glass table top?

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
yeah, you find nuts everywhere, because conspiracy theories are juicy and cannot be disproven. I dare say, they also allow people to put the blame on someone else (rather than look at their own sin, which has a cosmic effect).

I think the Reptillians are my favorite. I never knew all the while I was playing Street Fighter as a kid, as Vega with his dragon tattoo, that I was furthering the Reptillian agenda.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Now, if you are talking the 1983-1985 classic "V," then I'm with ya, brother! Kenneth Johnson's V was the bomb. That new, rebooted mess they tried to pawn off on me? bahhhhhh

Haha, those videos are great.

If any of you have ever seen the short-lived ABC series "V"... yeah some conspiracy theorists actually think there's truth to it, lol.

Upvote 0

Colleen1

Legend
Feb 11, 2011
✟56,731.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Now, if you are talking the 1983-1985 classic "V," then I'm with ya, brother! Kenneth Johnson's V was the bomb. That new, rebooted mess they tried to pawn off on me? bahhhhhh

lol Actually, believe it or not, I use to watch the older show rather faithfully for a while. I had no interest in the newer version of the show.

Upvote 0