Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
...and George Soros is really Lambchop in disguise.... ;)

lol-045.gif

Upvote 0
P

prodigal brother

I'm curious to know what your guys' thoughts are on "Christian Conspiracy Theorists".

I never knew such a segment even existed until about four years ago when I met my wife, shortly after I was introduced to her mother and bombarded with a barrage of ludicrous conspiracy theories. I indulged in that stuff for a (thankfully) very brief season. Eventually I saw it for what it was and stopped engaging in those things. From my experience, this sort of thing is exclusive to the end-times prophetic crowd, usually from some sort of non-denominational and/or evangelical "tradition".

One thing I've noticed is that I've never encountered an Orthodox Christian who aligns with anyone from this sphere of Christians.

When you see or hear Christians either on CF or in real life who espouse extremely bizarre beliefs mainly pertaining to eschatology, how do you feel?

I would say any Christian who doesn't believe satan is conspiring against mankind until Christ returns is about the most unbiblical Christian around, even heard some "christians" refer to satan as a boogey man, as if he is some sort of fictional character in a red suit

the bible plainly states that satan took Jesus and showed Jesus all his kingdoms and told Jesus if He would bow down and worship him they would be given to Him. .........Only the ignorant would think these kingdoms are not real kingdoms manifested by real people on earth.

even if you discount the whole book of Revelations, the whole entire new testiment has enough evidence to give credit that satan and his demons are looking for humans to infiltrate and kill and destroy, if that isn't a conspiracy to you, you have no idea what a conspiracy even is.......look up the word in the dictionary, truth be known conspiracies are going on all around us.

Upvote 0
P

prodigal brother

It could be anything from the well-known "New World Order" conspiracy theory to some of the most ridiculous ones like "there are reptilian people walking amongst us", "UFO's are Satanic instrument of deception for the end-times", etc.

the bible shows that people could be demon possessed, if satan is described as a snake, and he himself is able to possess a human such as his possession of Judas, could it not be such a far stretch to consider these people who some call reptilian as merely people demonically possessed by satan.

To me its simply the secular way to describe demon possession, since athiest don't want to acknowledge God and the story of Jesus, and satan the fallen one who was cast down to earth with his fallen brothers. Its highly probable that these demonic brothers have dreamed up this whole alien story to begin with, they were liars from the beginning

Upvote 0

Protoevangel

Smash the Patriarchy!
Feb 6, 2004
Eugene, OR
✟33,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Now, if you are talking the 1983-1985 classic "V," then I'm with ya, brother! Kenneth Johnson's V was the bomb. That new, rebooted mess they tried to pawn off on me? bahhhhhh

v_the_miniseries.jpg
:thumbsup: Original V rocked!

Upvote 0

Protoevangel

Smash the Patriarchy!
Feb 6, 2004
Eugene, OR
✟33,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
I would say any Christian who doesn't believe satan is conspiring against mankind until Christ returns is about the most unbiblical Christian around, even heard some "christians" refer to satan as a boogey man, as if he is some sort of fictional character in a red suit

the bible plainly states that satan took Jesus and showed Jesus all his kingdoms and told Jesus if He would bow down and worship him they would be given to Him. .........Only the ignorant would think these kingdoms are not real kingdoms manifested by real people on earth.

even if you discount the whole book of Revelations, the whole entire new testiment has enough evidence to give credit that satan and his demons are looking for humans to infiltrate and kill and destroy, if that isn't a conspiracy to you, you have no idea what a conspiracy even is.......look up the word in the dictionary, truth be known conspiracies are going on all around us.
Yep, I have no problem believing that many conspiracy theories have some truth to them.

The problem is when one tunnel-visions on one or more theories, and lets them consume him or her. Our focus must be on Christ. Let the conspiracies happen, everyone involved in these conspiracies will regret it in the end.

How do I know? I skipped to the end or Revelation. I saw who wins! :crosseo:

Sorry for the spoiler everyone! :D

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
:thumbsup: Original V rocked!

Loved V, and I wasn't even into sci-fi stuff. But, I think as a teen, I liked the show because it was exciting, liked the theme music, and I had a crush on one of the actors. :blush:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Colleen1

Legend
Feb 11, 2011
✟56,731.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yep, I have no problem believing that many conspiracy theories have some truth to them.

The problem is when one tunnel-visions on one or more theories, and lets them consume him or her. Our focus must be on Christ. Let the conspiracies happen, everyone involved in these conspiracies will regret it in the end.

:)

Upvote 0

Colleen1

Legend
Feb 11, 2011
✟56,731.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Loved V, and I wasn't even into sci-fi stuff. But, I think as a teen, I liked the show because it was exciting, liked the theme music, and I had a crush on one of the actors. :blush:

lol I agree apart from having a crush on the actors. :D It was a rather thrilling show at that time. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
P

prodigal brother

well thats swell! since you appear to believe the book Revelations is about the end (since it does contain the second coming of Christ and judgement) and obviously these events have not occured yet. Its certianly unbiblical to ascertain the anti-christ coming to power without the involvement and direction of satan, working with humans to bring his plan to fruition is just common sense.

someone doesn't need to be looking behind every tree for demons, but to not see a conspiracy of satan against God and His plan for redemption is really ignorant, the whole bible reflects this conspiracy in why people worship false gods and idols,

do you actually think worshiping a rock or a block of wood would have been continued from its earlist beginnings if satan and his fallen angels were not behind this deception, giving people false hope in these objects. It never fails to amaze me how few christians actually believe satan can empower sorcery and witchcraft

how long do you actually think people would practice such things if nothing ever came of there occult practices

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Protoevangel

Smash the Patriarchy!
Feb 6, 2004
Eugene, OR
✟33,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
well thats swell! since you appear to believe the book Revelations is about the end (since it does contain the second coming of Christ and judgement) and obviously these events have not occured yet.
Not exactly, some is future prophesy, some is about the present, some has already passed, some repeats in cycles or has multiple fulfillments of differing degrees; that's the nature of Apocalyptic literature, it usually isn't linear and purely prophetic. But yea, some of Revelation is certainly about the end of the end times (the same end times which we have been in since Christ ascended).

Its certianly unbiblical to ascertain the anti-christ coming to power without the involvement and direction of satan, working with humans to bring his plan to fruition is just common sense.

someone doesn't need to be looking behind every tree for demons, but to not see a conspiracy of satan against God and His plan for redemption is really ignorant, the whole bible reflects this conspiracy in why people worship false gods and idols,

do you actually think worshiping a rock or a block of wood would have been continued from its earlist beginnings if satan and his fallen angels were not behind this deception, giving people false hope in these objects. It never fails to amaze me how few christians actually believe satan can empower sorcery and witchcraft

how long do you actually think people would practice such things if nothing ever came of there occult practices
The ultimate Devil Theory. I'm with you on that. :thumbsup:

Now, did you seem to think you were teaching me something new? I could be wrong, but your tone does seem to suggest that...
hscratch2.gif

If that is the case, I may need to remind you that you are in an Orthodox subforum. We welcome honest inquiry and fellowship from all Christians, but it is not appropriate for non-Orthodox to teach or promote their own beliefs here.

That said, I don't actually see a problem with the specifics of what you posted here. My only question is in regards to your intent.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟433,756.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0

file13

A wild boar has entered in the vineyard
Mar 17, 2010
Dallas, TX
✟17,452.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I would still speculate though that there's a slightly higher probability in Evangelicalism (and perhaps most strongly in non-denominationalism) to be attracted to conspiracy theories because of the various beliefs that conflict with orthodoxy and because they've "rejected the norm" so much already as it were. I guess that's more of a pseudo-psychological take on it than anything else. :cool:

Could be. Or it could just be that we're just not as aware of what's going on in "Orthodox countries" here in the West. I also don't know for sure what you mean by "rejected the norm", but if I do follow here, it might be useful to remember that prisons in Greece are full of Orthodox Christians...i.e. Orthodox IS the norm in Orthodox countries (or at least one of the most likely options--as in Russia where the odds are you're atheist or Orthodox). But besides, being a member of a church dosen't necessarily grant one knowledge of "true history" or even spiritual maturity as I think we can all attest to.

For example, I have an EO friend on Facebook who's from Kazakhstan (no this really isn't a Borat joke!) who's a cradle Orthodox from over there who posts "EO style conspiracy theory" stuff all the time and how evil the new calendar is...even though she used to attend the new calender church I used to attend. So ya know, again, I think it's just people. I'd like to say it's uneducated ones, but folks like Dr. Veith (from the SDA I posted) are not un-educated people and I would add, likely not stupid either. So yeah, I'm gonna go with the notion that we're fallen sinners who are easily deceived if we're not careful, regardless of what church we attend. We can all fall into fanaticism, and I think it's probably a pretty short jump from there to conspiracy theories. :)

Upvote 0

Trogool

Apr 3, 2012
✟3,694.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Green
I'm curious to know what your guys' thoughts are on "Christian Conspiracy Theorists".

I never knew such a segment even existed until about four years ago when I met my wife, shortly after I was introduced to her mother and bombarded with a barrage of ludicrous conspiracy theories. I indulged in that stuff for a (thankfully) very brief season. Eventually I saw it for what it was and stopped engaging in those things. From my experience, this sort of thing is exclusive to the end-times prophetic crowd, usually from some sort of non-denominational and/or evangelical "tradition".

One thing I've noticed is that I've never encountered an Orthodox Christian who aligns with anyone from this sphere of Christians.

When you see or hear Christians either on CF or in real life who espouse extremely bizarre beliefs mainly pertaining to eschatology, how do you feel?

There's the conspiracy theory that the new Greek national ID cards are actually the number of the beast or something.

Protest against planned ID cards in Athens | Athens News

I also flipped through a book of commentary by some monk once. The two sections I glanced at claimed 1.) TV is an evil, Satanic brainwashing device or something like that and 2.) The removal of "Greek diacretal marks" or accent marks or something like that from the written Greek language in some modern language reform to do with how Greek is taught in schools, is evil and the work of Satan, as Greek is the True Pure Language of God, all other languages are debased, and with the removal of accent marks, Satan is cutting off the Chosen Greek People from salvation and God or something. It was a little odd.

Upvote 0