Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Seriously, you two? My avatar is supposed to be symbolic of my worldview and thinking generally? Really?

Colossians 1:16 does not say God is in everything or is everything. It says only that all things were created by and for Him. God is not what He has created any more than a painting is the painter who painted it or a marble statue is the sculptor who sculpted it. We may see hints of the nature of the painter or sculptor in the works of art they create, but it is a very confused person who thinks the painter or sculptor is literally what they have made.

The same thing goes for all of the other verses you cited, VanillaSunflowers. Not one of them indicates that "everything is God." The only way God could have created the material universe, was to be totally unlike it. God is transcendent to the physical realm. He is non-contingent, infinite and incorporeal. And He had to be this way in order to make the universe. To say, then, that "God is everything" is to misunderstand God's nature profoundly and to confuse what is made with the One who made it.

It would be an insult to a potter to look at one of his clay pots and say to him, "You are this pot. This pot is you." Clearly, the potter is far superior in a multitude of ways to his pot. In fact, it is his very superiority that enables him to fashion clay pots. To equate him with one of his pots, then, diminishes him severely. This is exactly what we do, with God, however, when we say things like "everything is God." God is not dirt; He is not a microbe; He is not a galaxy or supernova; He is not a tree, or mountain, or whale. All of these things are infinitely below Him and utterly contingent upon Him.

I hope you can see now - at least a little - why saying "Everything is God," is both irrational and denigrating to the Creator.

Selah.

Upvote 0

Archie the Preacher

Apostle to the Intellectual Skeptics
Apr 11, 2003
Hastings, Nebraska - the Heartland!
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
In fact, Aiki, I asked so you could explain it. You choose not to do so. Frankly, I'm a bit intrigued. I've been a fan of the large, green angry fellow ever since David Bruce Banner saved Rick Jones from the Gamma bomb. Barney is a bit late for me, but the two of them in any juxtaposition is - intriguing.

For the record, I don't endorse the 'Everything is God' thought. Pretty much on the same grounds you do. If you'll note, in a prior posting to Sunflowers, I said her statement sounded like pantheism and wondered if she wanted to clarify it. She hasn't explained her reasoning either. I would like to hear a bit more of her thinking, since it doesn't seem to mesh with some other conversations.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I'm a cartoonist/illustrator. Have been for a very long time. It struck me as an odd and amusing mash-up to have Barney and the Hulk battling it out. Some people just look at the cartoon and scratch their heads. Others get a laugh out of it. To each their own, I guess.

I didn't think you were of the "God is everything" view. My apologies if I made it seem you were, in this regard, of a kind in your thinking with VanillaSunflowers.

The "God is everything" mantra inevitably ends, for those who embrace it, with Shirley Maclaine's pretentious (and rather sad) "I am God." I don't like to encourage those who have started down this path to continue on it. Hence, my direct comment to VanillaSunflowers.

Selah.

Upvote 0

Archie the Preacher

Apr 11, 2003
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
aiki said:
I'm a cartoonist/illustrator. Have been for a very long time. It struck me as an odd and amusing mash-up to have Barney and the Hulk battling it out. Some people just look at the cartoon and scratch their heads. Others get a laugh out of it. To each their own, I guess.
I think I did both to some extent.

aiki said:
I didn't think you were of the "God is everything" view. My apologies if I made it seem you were, in this regard, of a kind in your thinking with VanillaSunflowers.
Not a problem, I just wanted to make sure we are communicating.

aiki said:
The "God is everything" mantra inevitably ends, for those who embrace it, with Shirley Maclaine's pretentious (and rather sad) "I am God." I don't like to encourage those who have started down this path to continue on it. Hence, my direct comment to VanillaSunflowers.

Selah.
It is the logical extension, and wrong on so many levels. In the case of Christian followers, being a creation of God and even a 'child' of God is not at all the same as being God.

Upvote 0

godshapedhole

Dec 19, 2015
Australia
✟7,724.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Celibate
To be the Devil's advocate (literally?:smilingimp:) I think one could argue that the universe is an unfolding, self-creating entity, so it could be said that God has indeed created everything in the universe, but he is also everything in the universe.
DrawingHands.jpg

Not exactly top-notch, philosophical or theological argument, but just a little something to ponder.

Upvote 0

Archie the Preacher

Apr 11, 2003
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
godshapedhole said:
To be the Devil's advocate (literally?:smilingimp:) I think one could argue that the universe is an unfolding, self-creating entity, so it could be said that God has indeed created everything in the universe, but he is also everything in the universe.
DrawingHands.jpg

Not exactly top-notch, philosophical or theological argument, but just a little something to ponder.
Yes, you could. I couldn't. I know differently.

Your argument, as stated, has the unspoken presumption or conclusion (I'm not sure which) that God and the Universe are the same. "...the universe is an unfolding, self-creating entity...God has indeed created everything..." Therefore, the Universe and God are the same.

Since I know God, and part of that knowledge is He is not identical to the Universe, I cannot agree.

Upvote 0