Christ is risen!!!

This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟128,734.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Reactions: crixus
Upvote 0

Dewi Sant

May 21, 2015
UK
✟64,453.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Atgyfododd Crist!
Yn wir atgyfododd!

(Welsh btw. If you're trying to read it, 'f' is pronounced as 'v'; and 'dd' is pronounced as 'th', 'w' is 'w' as in 'wealthy';
therefore: "Atgivo'doth Crist! : In wir atgivo'doth! [' used to mark stressed vowel]

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dewi Sant

May 21, 2015
UK
✟64,453.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Happy Easter to you, even though our Easter was March 31. The first Easter in 33 AD was April 5th, when Jesus Christ rose from the dead.

April 3, 33 AD Crucifixion: When Did Jesus Die?
interesting.
The festal cycle was developed over time by the church. Easter, being calculated according to a lunar cycle (and thus Ascension [40 days post Easter], and Pentecost [50 days post Easter]).
The fixed feasts are centred on Christmas (Annunciation being 9 months prior on 25th March), and Epipany/Theophany being on the day after the twelfth day of Christmas; the Circumcision being on the eighth day of Christmas.

Anyway, this is an aside as the purpose of this thread is to share the Paschal greeting :)
So, to speak in the continuous present tense:

Christ IS Risen!

Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟438,970.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Atgyfododd Crist!
Yn wir atgyfododd!

(Welsh btw. If you're trying to read it, 'f' is pronounced as 'v'; and 'dd' is pronounced as 'th', 'w' is 'w' as in 'wealthy';
therefore: "Atgivo'doth Crist! : In wir atgivo'doth! [' used to mark stressed vowel]
I am guessing that “at” is a prefix, and the roots is probably “gyfod”? I’d want to ask Anthony Esolen, who is more of an expert than me, but that would make the root appear like a distant cousin of the Slavic “zhivot” (life), possibly making it “come to life”. Just educated stabs in the dark…

Reactions: crixus
Upvote 0

Dewi Sant

May 21, 2015
UK
✟64,453.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
I am guessing that “at” is a prefix, and the roots is probably “gyfod”? I’d want to ask Anthony Esolen, who is more of an expert than me, but that would make the root appear like a distant cousin of the Slavic “zhivot” (life), possibly making it “come to life”. Just educated stabs in the dark…
interesting!
I wish I could do an etymology of the word but I'm just a 'Welsh as second language' speaker.
A lot of Welsh is informed by Latin, so it feels co-incidental if there is a shared root with Slavic.
As a Celtic language, it isn't unfeasible to have a shared origin with Slavic as the Celtic peoples originated in central Europe (I thought it was further east, more modern-day Ukraine), but that is a very very long time ago, like 2,000+ years. Though in linguistic terms, probably not long ago at all.
[grabs lexicon from bookshelf]

"atº preposition"
' = to (motion towards)'
it appears as a preposition rather than a suffix.

However,
'Gyfod' appears in Google Translate as 'to get up'*
I need to get a new lexicon. Mine is the 'Modern Welsh Dictionary' (Oxford University Press). At only 535 pages (half of which are English-Welsh), it is insufficient for my uses. As a general guide it's fine I suppose.

The University of Wales has the most comprehensive dictionary but the site doesn't seem to be responding at present.
*the way I was taught in Modern Welsh for 'get up' is the verb 'godi'
'Codais i am 7 o'r gloch' (I got up at 7 o'clock)

'-odd' is a suffix for the third-person singular preterite.
So Atgyfododd could be 'He is gotten up'

Reactions: rusmeister
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟128,734.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
interesting.
The festal cycle was developed over time by the church. Easter, being calculated according to a lunar cycle (and thus Ascension [40 days post Easter], and Pentecost [50 days post Easter]).
The fixed feasts are centred on Christmas (Annunciation being 9 months prior on 25th March), and Epipany/Theophany being on the day after the twelfth day of Christmas; the Circumcision being on the eighth day of Christmas.

Anyway, this is an aside as the purpose of this thread is to share the Paschal greeting :)
So, to speak in the continuous present tense:

Christ IS Risen!
Yep, Easter is calculated based upon a lunar cycle, as the Jewish calendar used lunar cycles for reckoning. Amen, Christ has risen, and He IS risen.

Reactions: Dewi Sant
Upvote 0