Aug 20, 2008
The Great South Land of the Holy Spirit
Visit site
✟16,359.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Because basically it is not that important in the scheme of things. I dont know anyone that does not have a favourite topic within Christianity, the issue of Creation is mine, albeit waning.

I used to go manic over eschatology, and soon it will probably be something else.

Upvote 0

Cabal

Jul 22, 2007
London
✟30,012.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Why is it important to you to choose a specific camp?

Creat vs. TE, for instance.

Thanks,
Pats

It's not important to me.

Then again, when those who disagree with my stance (TE) not only place themselves in a camp and actively exclude those who disagree with them, it's not like they leave you with many options.

Reactions: Pats
Upvote 0

Assyrian

Basically pulling an Obama (Thanks Calminian!)
Mar 31, 2006
Wales
✟27,286.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Thanks,
Pats
Hi Pats how have you been keeping?

I have to agree with Mark here, goodness it felt strange typing that :), hi Mark :wave: Our view of Genesis and evolution are a complete side issue to being a follower of Jesus saved and walking in newness of life through his death and resurrection.

Where it is important, is because the issue can be a stumbling block to people turning to Jesus, or young believers who have been taught creationism in Sunday school, discovering the evidence for evolution is much stronger that they were told, especially if they have been taught that if evolution is true the bible is a lie.

Upvote 0

Pats

I'll take that comment with a grain of salt
Oct 8, 2004
Arizona, in the Valley of the sun
Visit site
✟14,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Because basically it is not that important in the scheme of things. I dont know anyone that does not have a favourite topic within Christianity, the issue of Creation is mine, albeit waning.

I used to go manic over eschatology, and soon it will probably be something else.

Much better answer for me especially. :D

Upvote 0

Pats

Oct 8, 2004
Visit site
✟14,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hi Pats how have you been keeping?

I have to agree with Mark here, goodness it felt strange typing that :), hi Mark :wave: Our view of Genesis and evolution are a complete side issue to being a follower of Jesus saved and walking in newness of life through his death and resurrection.

Where it is important, is because the issue can be a stumbling block to people turning to Jesus, or young believers who have been taught creationism in Sunday school, discovering the evidence for evolution is much stronger that they were told, especially if they have been taught that if evolution is true the bible is a lie.

That was my stumbling block, Assyrian.

I'm ok. I'm in a real hurry right now, catch up a bit laters. Thanks for asking. How've you been? :)

Upvote 0

Pats

Oct 8, 2004
Visit site
✟14,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Because the future of education, the public attitude towards science, and acceptance of intellectualism and reasoning are all at stake.

I got real involved with all those issues before I took a break from CF for a while. But, I don't disagree with you there. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

gluadys

Legend
Mar 2, 2004
Toronto
✟31,520.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
CA-NDP

Thanks,
Pats

I agree it is the education aspect, both public education and Christian education that interests me.

I am also worried when the theology is politicized. Right now, looking at American politics from north of the border, it almost seems that denying evolution (and climate change) is a criterion for being a good Republican. And being Republican is becoming a criterion for being a theologically conservative Christian.

That should not be. Political parties of all stripes should be religiously neutral. Christian organizations of all stripes should be open to people of all political parties.

Upvote 0

Assyrian

Basically pulling an Obama (Thanks Calminian!)
Mar 31, 2006
Wales
✟27,286.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That was my stumbling block, Assyrian.

I'm ok. I'm in a real hurry right now, catch up a bit laters. Thanks for asking. How've you been? :)
Pretty tired lately, chronic fatigue and all that. Chatting here keeps my brain active though :)

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,254.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Because the future of education, the public attitude towards science, and acceptance of intellectualism and reasoning are all at stake.

[Cues Ride of the Valkyries]

Upvote 0

Pats

Oct 8, 2004
Visit site
✟14,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I agree it is the education aspect, both public education and Christian education that interests me.

I am also worried when the theology is politicized. Right now, looking at American politics from north of the border, it almost seems that denying evolution (and climate change) is a criterion for being a good Republican. And being Republican is becoming a criterion for being a theologically conservative Christian.

That should not be. Political parties of all stripes should be religiously neutral. Christian organizations of all stripes should be open to people of all political parties.

Well, as usual, you made some really helpful and excellent point. Thanks.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

Thanks,
Pats

Well when the culture war was in high swing it was foolish to try to take the middle ground since it was a no man's land. I thought it was important to side with creationists because I saw it as an apologetics issus, faith in the Scriptures was being assailed relentlessly. I would have been more comfortable with the New Testament but you go with what cards are dealt to you.

It really comes down to human history, God has either acted in human affairs or he has not. The only real point of doctrine is original sin but there are references to Noah's Ark as well. I chose to side with Biblical Christians because I have seen what the skeptics are capable of by what has happened in Europe and elsewhere. Alternatives to a Biblical worldview don't interest me and I didn't fire the first shot in the culture war, I just took a walk on part.

At any rate, that's my two cents worth.

Grace and peace,
Mark

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

Just for the record, I'm a Democrat and I'm startled by the ice caps melting. I read the Greening of America back in the 80s and always found it disturbing that he actually understated the consequences of ignoring environmental issues.

Christians in the U.S. traditionally have shunned politics, I think that started to change with Jerry Farrell and Pat Robinson. The abortion issue was a disturbing one, so utterly polarized. As far as teaching in the public schools I have never advocated teaching YEC or ID in the public schools or private ones for that matter. I would like to see less emphasis on natural history and more on genetics in Biology but that's about it.

By law they have to be, however, they are sometimes mobilized on issues like slavery and civil rights. More recently the abortion thing was something that got a lot of activists going to Washington but by and large religion in America is a private matter, as it should be.

Grace and peace,
Mark

Upvote 0

gluadys

Legend
Mar 2, 2004
Toronto
✟31,520.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
CA-NDP
Just for the record, I'm a Democrat and I'm startled by the ice caps melting. I read the Greening of America back in the 80s and always found it disturbing that he actually understated the consequences of ignoring environmental issues.

That's good to know. For me the climate issue has rapidly eclipsed the evolution issue. And I know there are many good conservative Christians who do understand how serious it is and are working on it. As a Canadian I am appalled at the trickery played by the Conservative Party in our unelected Senate a few days ago which manipulated a defeat of the Climate Accountability Act passed in the House of Commons last May. And I am ashamed by our government's staunch defence of the Alberta Tar Sands development and complete inaction on investing in green energy.

My church work lately has been largely on education on climate change and climate justice and as a long-time Christian educator it has always been a principle of mine that we reach out to people of every political stripe. I don't consider issues like these to be partisan and I work for non-partisan policy and action that every Christian and every voter can support.

I would like to see less emphasis on natural history and more on genetics in Biology but that's about it.

I think you will get that with the pace of discovery coming out of molecular biology and biochemistry. I don't think it will change the scientific consensus on evolution, though.

By law they have to be, however, they are sometimes mobilized on issues like slavery and civil rights. More recently the abortion thing was something that got a lot of activists going to Washington but by and large religion in America is a private matter, as it should be.

Interesting. I don't think religion should be a private matter; I think faith has a rightful claim to the public square. But I do think it has to be non-partisan with all believers (and non-believers) treated with respect. I worry when I see some of the anti-Islamic furor that gets drummed up. That sort of thing then feeds in to the al-Qaida action against Christians in Iraq. No one wins in a contest of "who can hate more".

A Muslim friend of mine recently sent me an article about a mid-America church which opened its doors to a Muslim congregation when a construction delay postponed the use of its new mosque. This happened in the midst of the post 9/11 trauma, so it was especially gracious. The question my friend asked is why this didn't get national and international exposure and instead the air-waves were filled with that idiot in Florida who threatened to burn a copy of the Qu'ran.

Grace and peace,
Mark

Likewise

Upvote 0

matthewgar

Jun 18, 2010
powell river BC. Canada.
✟15,965.00
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Others
My issue is partly education, btu also beyond that. Alot of the stuff with creationism can start to flow into anti vaccinations, global warming, homeopathy and so on. not directly, but when science isn't trusted when it conflicts with peoples beliefs, then how can science ever be used to show Homeopathy is bunk, or that global warming isn't some massive conspiracy, or that vaccinations arn't some get rich quick scheme by goverment and groups.

I just worry long term if things don't change where will we end up.

Upvote 0

RipleyCountyChristian

The guy Chuck Norris tries to live up to :)
Nov 25, 2007
Oklahoma City, USA
Visit site
✟20,237.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
As far as I am concerned, I find it interesting, my view is I believe God created everything, but how he did it an din what time frame...I have no clue....it is on of those never-ending questions that we just will never know. It is not essential to my faith to choose a side...so I am neutral...but I definitely believe God is the Creator.

Upvote 0