Choose Liberty, Not Dependency

I

Icewater

I respect the fact that violations of property rights can be worthwhile, but I don't see your argument that "property rights aren't absolute". I think they are.
No they aren't, which is the whole point of the scenario -- in it, what is arguably the most moral route is to steal the cure. My other point is simply that property rights have no inherent value, which lordbt obviously disagrees with.

How exactly does one person stealing one thing discourage innovation for an entire society? Also, the scenario you posted about stealing the cure resulting in someone in the distant future dying is just ridiculous.

Also, the music piracy example is horrible because despite how much the music industry whines about it they make tons of profit.

Upvote 0

childofGod1

Aug 21, 2010
✟18,710.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm a mom. I've got my own four children, plus all the "strays" I've taken in over the years. There is no way you can say that rational self interest is enough to motivate anyone to spend years losing sleep to the sound of infants screams and covered in spitup, leaky diapers and peanut butter. There is nothing in rational egoism that will cover a teenage girl with PMS who just failed a test, had a fight with her boyfriend and wants the keys to the car NOW. It's altruism. Believe me.

Upvote 0

Umaro

Senior Veteran
Dec 22, 2006
✟13,505.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I'm a mom. I've got my own four children, plus all the "strays" I've taken in over the years. There is no way you can say that rational self interest is enough to motivate anyone to spend years losing sleep to the sound of infants screams and covered in spitup, leaky diapers and peanut butter. There is nothing in rational egoism that will cover a teenage girl with PMS who just failed a test, had a fight with her boyfriend and wants the keys to the car NOW. It's altruism. Believe me.

Can it really be said to be altruism when the being you're being altruistic to doesn't exist? Once a child is born sure, but you having 4 kids did not begin with pure altruism to help them, you wanted them for other reasons. Reasons like the love you feel from them, or their company, etc. That is what they are considering rational self interest.

Upvote 0

childofGod1

Aug 21, 2010
✟18,710.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No they aren't, which is the whole point of the scenario -- in it, what is arguably the most moral route is to steal the cure. My other point is simply that property rights have no inherent value, which lordbt obviously disagrees with.

How exactly does one person stealing one thing discourage innovation for an entire society? Also, the scenario you posted about stealing the cure resulting in someone in the distant future dying is just ridiculous.

Also, the music piracy example is horrible because despite how much the music industry whines about it they make tons of profit.

Wow. Just wow. Who are you to decide who makes enough? Who gave you the right to judge the value of somebody else's time and effort? You condone taking by force a part of another person's life, the time they spent creating music. It's theft, plain and simple, and not even something you need, just something you covet. Unbelievable.

Upvote 0

childofGod1

Aug 21, 2010
✟18,710.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Can it really be said to be altruism when the being you're being altruistic to doesn't exist? Once a child is born sure, but you having 4 kids did not begin with pure altruism to help them, you wanted them for other reasons. Reasons like the love you feel from them, or their company, etc. That is what they are considering rational self interest.

Getting pregnant is easy. That's just the beginning. You may choose to have children out of self interest, but sticking with it and raising them is self sacrifice. When you have a child, you make a commitment to love that child even when you don't feel it.

Upvote 0
I

Icewater

Wow. Just wow. Who are you to decide who makes enough? Who gave you the right to judge the value of somebody else's time and effort? You condone taking by force a part of another person's life, the time they spent creating music. It's theft, plain and simple, and not even something you need, just something you covet. Unbelievable
Your righteous indignation is amusing, but not very appropriate. Where did I ever advocate any of those things?

Upvote 0
I

Icewater

The last part of the post I quoted. The part about the music industry making "tons of profit".
Piracy is "taking by force"? lol.

You do realize that in the music industry the people who make the most profit aren't the ones that actually produce the music, right? You realize too that most of the time the ones producing the music don't really care if their music is pirated, right?

You seem to live in some cartoon world where everyone is ultra greedy and only ever produces anything so that they may attempt to satiate their unquenchable hunger for more wealth.

Upvote 0

Saving Hawaii

Sep 6, 2008
Chico, CA
✟5,320.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I should have pointed out that CoGs statement of Rand having an "all charity is morally repugnant philosophy" is incorrect...

Though I've read Rand, I'm certainly not an expert on her philosophy and I'll concede this point to you.

Agreed. That would be a bad thing. The question is how do you address that problem within the context of a free, rights respecting society. The man starving in the streets has the same rights as I do. His predicament, his need does not impose a moral imperative upon me. Unless you accept altruism as your moral code. The decision whether or not to help him and to what degree is mine.

Then why are they having them? Why should their poor or irresponsible decision put a burden upon me? Rational egoism declares that my life belongs to me, by right. Altruism declares that my life belongs to anyone but me. But that is the essence of altruism. Helping your own child is not a sacrifice. Helping your neighbors child at the expense of your own is. You are to deny your own values and sacrifice them to something of lesser value. The immoral man pursues his own values, the moral man denies them. That is altruism and that is what is evil about it.
You are objecting to my attempt to flesh out CoG's concern. I subsequently responded to her concern in what I felt was "within the context of a free, rights respecting society." My argument was later. You're refuting what is simply my restatement of somebody else's concern. I see no need to go further on this subject. My understanding is that we're essentially in agreement here. I don't think a combination of your solution and mine is the best system, or even close to that, but I think that it's workable and that it addresses CoG's concern.

I dont know why you find it difficult to argue in favor of rational self-interest. What better argument for it exists than the one you made in bold? Actually, there is one. You argue for it because it is right, and it is moral. That it works well is a side benefit.
I gave it my best argument, but I find it difficult for exactly the reasons you might find it difficult to argue a very statist conclusion. I agree with the premise and I agree with the conclusion but it's quite dissonant with many other things I believe and understand. If I more fully fleshed out my view, my statement would have read "this is correct but...".

Most people function within certain rhetorical frameworks. Yours is different from mine. You utilize words that have a positive connotation to you to make points, but sometimes those words have negative connotations within my ideological framework. The same is true for what I say to you. The argument for mutually-beneficial trade is strong but it faces serious limits in my rhetorical framework because there's no way to resolve the language problems. There are points that I have to make for which I have no option but to rely on words that have very negative connotations.

I think most of our differences is due to the fact that you accept altruism as a valid moral code and I do not. That perspective leads you to conclude that need trumps rights. At the top of my hierarchy of things is liberty and individual rights. Nothing trumps it. If liberty leads to the end of the world, then I die a free man

You are a free man, your life belongs to you. Live it and enjoy it, without guilt. I think one of the proper roles of the state is to enforce contracts between individuals. The only valid contract that can exist between a free people and its government is one where the state is contracted to protect the lives, liberty and possessions of its people. There is just no way I can support a "social contract" whereby a state initiates force against one set of individuals to the benefit of another.

Me robbing you or defrauding you is an example of me initiating force against you. The force the state brings against me is a response to my use of force against you. It is the initiation of force that has to be outlawed, including initiation by the state. Look at it this way. You know that you have no claim to anything that rightfully belongs to me. If you try to relieve my of my possessions you will be arrested regardless of what you intend to do with them. That behavior does not somehow become moral when you enlist the state to do it for you. And if you dont have the power to confiscate my wealth, how do you give that power to the state?

I am not sure which mutually agreed to contracts you believe I oppose. Essentially, whatever mutual agreement two adults come to is fine with me--so long as that agreement doesnt violate anyone elses rights.
No. I do not accept altruism as a valid moral code. I accept it as a very good guiding principal for one's own life. I do not accept it as anything nearing a categorical imperative, and I definitely do not accept it as something that "should become a universal law". My welfare-state views derive from a philosophical difference that you and I have about contract rights. As I would phrase it, you don't respect an individual's fundamental right to engage in an agreement with another human being.

Imagine a tribe of hunter gatherers who are essentially free. They might sign a contract with one another (written and signed with nothing more than grunts and whistles!) that provides for 'cougar insurance'. Being as all members of the troop don't want to die but they face a very real risk of being mauled by a mountain lion, this makes sense for them. They make an agreement that if somebody does get shredded they'll provide some of their meat to the injured tribesman so that he can recover without starving. They sign this contract because they understand that they could potentially be said 'injured tribesman' and the benefits outweigh the costs of that agreement. This is a basic insurance contract and I'm certain it's considered valid in most libertarian worldviews including yours.

Fast forward a few centuries and this tribe of hunter gatherers is at the dawn of becoming an agrarian society. Some tribesmen have shifted from the profession of killing deer and running from mountain lions to the profession of planting turnips and getting sick from parasite infections. Progress!!! Unfortunately for these tribesmen, their hunter gatherer counterparts sometimes "gather" the turnips that they planted. This isn't very good for business. Our hunter gatherers and our farmers agree to another contract assigning property rights. Something along the lines of "you planted this turnip which improved the land, therefore you have the sole right to harvest and consume this turnip". That's a very Lockean argument, though we have to consider Locke's "enough and as good" caveat as this would be a major consideration in this society (imagine that consideration's importance in some places, like a Pacific island, where resources were extremely limited). Because of these very valid concerns and the overall increase in food harvests that resolving them provides, the societies that were ultimately successful in the course of history managed to resolve them by assigning a property right (though its extent varied).

Both 'cougar insurance' and 'hey that's my turnip' can be pareto-optimal agreements within this society. Everybody benefits from those two contracts even if they would prefer a slightly modified arrangement and even if one of the two was not agreed upon. Successful societies (the ones that didn't disappear millennia ago) generally made both. Additionally for the purpose of these contracts being valid, they don't actually have to be pareto-optimal. They simply have to appear pareto-optimal (or at least agreeable) to all participants. These two contracts are voluntary and pareto-optimal (or at least as close as we can hope to get if we assume EMH). I think that you would agree that both contracts are valid.

Now, this is where things gets a little more complicated. 'Cougar insurance' is essentially a welfare scheme. There's no 'state' involved but insurance systems are essentially welfare systems. Even if you don't define what a 'state' is, that's their fundamental function. 'Hey that's my turnip' is essentially a system of property rights. Once again there's no 'state' involved but our tribesmen have created a voluntary, no-government-needed contract with one another that protects their property rights.

Fast forward a few hundred years. The ice age that's developed since our last example has caused fewer deer to be available for hunter-gatherers to slay but the population of lions, tigers, and bears has soared. Turnip growers are still concerned that the system of property rights that our society has developed is too weak. "Sometimes the starving hunters have stolen my turnips, the jerks... I know we agreed upon a Lockean "enough and as good" caveat but I don't like this". Whatever. The farmers and the hunter-gatherers enter negotiations for a new contract. The main concern of the farmers is a better system of property rights. They really don't want the hunter-gatherers eating their turnips without explicit permission or trade being involved. The main concern of the hunter-gatherers is a better system of cougar insurance, especially considering that recent developments have made their profession much less profitable. The hunter-gathers, though they're not fond of a stronger system of property rights, would prefer a better system of cougar insurance even if it meant stronger property rights. The turnip growers, though they're not found of better cougar insurance, would prefer a stronger system of property rights even if it meant better cougar insurance. All parties here are rationally self-interested and there is no altruism involved. They are simply making contractual agreements with one another that they perceive to be in their own best interest. Thus they forge a contract with one another that is mutually agreeable. This contract includes both 'cougar insurance' and 'hey that's my turnip'. All parties involved feel that they have gained more benefit than it costs them and thus it is perceived to be a pareto-optimal contract. This is a valid contract.

This contract, I think, is where we can definitionally remark that a 'state' has been born. My definition of 'state' is very weak and I think it probably differs from what you would define 'government' as, but my definition allows me virtually any society from a libertarian utopia, to a society that never progresses beyond 'cougar insurance' and 'hey that's my turnip', to something that Heinlein would like, to a society that accepts a version of Rawlsian 'birth insurance', to some Marxist dystopia. Maybe somewhere else along the line (before or after this) should actually mark the birth of a 'state', but I think this is a good moment. We've combined the basic principles of social insurance with an assignation with property rights into a single contract. That's as good a definition as any I can think of (though I'm open to similar alternatives). I diverge strongly with you on alternative definitions of state that consist of "coercion" or whatnot... I've managed to arrive at this position through an entirely free, voluntary, and self-interested process that is remarkably consistent with what we've actually observed human beings doing in the real world. Though there's something Hobbesian about my argument that this is free of coercion, I will assert that none of the alternatives are better. Indeed, all alternatives rest upon some contention that a voluntarily reached and pareto-optimal contract is invalid and that the participants should be coerced to ignore it.

My mental framework doesn't reject a society that you would find very amenable. Your preferences can exist within my mental framework. My preferences are not acceptable within your mental framework though... I ask you to at least consider mine as the strongest example of free interaction between rational human beings. That my framework does a very good job explaining interactions that we observe in the real world should be considered a plus.

Which is why Rand believed that Objectivism and Christianity were incompatible. It is hard to argue with that, but that doesnt mean that there arent any number of areas where Objectivist and Christian morality meet. I try to focus on those. At least here, anyway. :)
The fundamental principles of Objectivism are diametrically opposed to the fundamental principles of Christianity. One teaches egoism, the other altruism. When you draw them out to their natural conclusions they offer very different results. This is the problem but my time is limited and there are other posters who seem happy to argue this point so I'll leave it to them.

Upvote 0

Saving Hawaii

Sep 6, 2008
Chico, CA
✟5,320.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Getting pregnant is easy. That's just the beginning. You may choose to have children out of self interest, but sticking with it and raising them is self sacrifice. When you have a child, you make a commitment to love that child even when you don't feel it.

Not if you're an Objectivist you don't.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Saving Hawaii

Sep 6, 2008
Chico, CA
✟5,320.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
First, Rand isn't my hero, and you certainly aren't either.

Cool.

What part of Marx's "from each, to each" philosophy actually promotes beneficial trade? How about personal responsibility? Any you can't possibly think it speaks against coerced charity, since that's the central point of Marxism. Marxiasts SAY they support these things, and a man will SAY he loves a woman, but in the morning...

It's inherent in Marx's philosophy. Where Marx diverges from you is in his conclusions. He very fervently argues a point that much trade is conducted within coercive relationships. This leads him to a conclusion that a freer society is one which eliminates the coercion and force and allows human beings to engage in agreements with one another as equals. The "from each, to each" portion of Marx's philosophy largely results from his acceptance of altruism as a valid moral, and you are somewhat inexplicably hammering him for this even though you claim to agree with his views about altruism and the "from each, to each" line is more or less taken from the Bible.

Your qualms with Marx are not because he rejected the notion of mutually beneficial trade. On the contrary it's very necessary to accept that premise to understand the vast majority of what Marx advocated.

Upvote 0

Saving Hawaii

Sep 6, 2008
Chico, CA
✟5,320.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
In the hypothetical objectivist world the rationally motivated investors can and might invest in the child, but there is no guarantee of that. I'm not trying to critique LordBTs post, since I can't claim to know Rand very well. I'm trying to understand how far the concept extends, for good or bad.

Say I have a 5 year old biological child, and I've determined that in my duty to myself I would be better off not investing in him. Maybe he has downs syndrome or something. Following the philosophy, is it permissible for me to simply stop taking care of the child? Ideally another rationally motivated individual would invest in the child, but that could also not happen. In terms of my self interest, the self interest of a child I chose not to invest in become irrelevant, just as if the child wasn't mine biologically. From what I'm understanding of Rand's viewpoint as paraphrased by LordBT, it would be, but I'm seeking clarification so I don't misunderstand.

That's my understanding as well. My solution is only a second-line of defense for the self-interest of the child. It's not perfect. In some cases, rationally-motivated individuals will not invest in the child after it gets left for dead by worthless parents. The defense to that argument is that no system is perfect. The best possible system that you can imagine is going to fail at times and probably constantly. I think that this system that exclusively relies on egoism fails a lot... probably more than most alternatives... but I admit that it is workable.

Upvote 0

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
God commands, but He doesn't force us to obey his commands. He has given us free will to choose whether to obey or not to obey. Free will doesn't mean an absence of commands, it means the ability to choose your own actions. You prove your ability to ignore God's commands in this very post with your disrespectful way of referring to God as "it". Your free will doesn't seem to be the least bit undermined, does it?

But the Bible does threaten to force, doesn't it? It gives you the will to choose, but if you choose wrong then you are under the threat of divine retribution. In the context of your earlier statements, in particular your earlier characterization of virtue, Biblical virtue is impossible. That, or we abandon your conception of virtue because it cannot account for Biblical virtue.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I have a scenario for you. I'm sure you've seen this a thousand times before, but please humor me.

It's a slight variation on an old classic: Your child is sick with Death and the guy who invented a cure for it won't sell it to you for whatever reason. The man doesn't care much for locks and so you can steal it very easily.

Assume there are no unintended consequences, i.e. there's an infinite amount of the cure so your stealing some won't prevent someone else from having it causing them to die or whatever. Essentially, the only downside to stealing the cure is that the man's property rights will have been violated.

Do you steal the cure?

There are more compelling, albeit elaborate, iterations of the Heinz dilemma. I posed one of my own imagining to lordbt some time ago; one where a pharmaceutical company has developed a cure to a ruthless disease ravaging the human race, but will not exchange the cure just for money - it demands (in addition) power to decide who is worthy of the cure, and therefore who is worthy to live in 'their' new world.

Upvote 0

lordbt

$
Feb 23, 2007
Mentor, Ohio
✟27,008.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
I have a scenario for you. I'm sure you've seen this a thousand times before, but please humor me.

It's a slight variation on an old classic: Your child is sick with Death and the guy who invented a cure for it won't sell it to you for whatever reason. The man doesn't care much for locks and so you can steal it very easily.

Assume there are no unintended consequences, i.e. there's an infinite amount of the cure so your stealing some won't prevent someone else from having it causing them to die or whatever. Essentially, the only downside to stealing the cure is that the man's property rights will have been violated.

Do you steal the cure?
Lets also assume that I have exhausted every other reasonable means of acquiring the medicine legally. Theft in such a circumstance would be an option, but the last option. So, yeah, I would steal it. But my actions dont change the nature of things. The cure still belongs to the man who created it. It is his property, and as such, he gets to determine who gets it and who does not. My need for it is not a claim upon his creation. I would be guilty of theft and should expect the consequences that conviction for any theft would bring. I would likely spend a couple of years in prison, but the life of my child is worth more to me than the temporary loss of freedom. My actions would still be criminal. Despite the goodness of my ends, I used evil means.

I haven't read Rand, but how far does this concept extend? I understand the argument to refuse a dime to a homeless man, but does principle ever break down? In an earlier post it was said that raising your child is a personal benefit, not altruism. You feel happy when they smile, you get an investment back when they enter the work force and can help you as such. But if I have a child and raise it until it's 5 or so, then decide I no longer am getting what I want out of the investment, am I free to just drop it? If no man has the right to my life, property, or time but myself, wouldn't that equally apply to the homeless man and my child?
The difference between the homeless man and your child is that you are the parent and, thus, the legal guardian of your childs rights. You are free to dump the child at any point in that childs life, so long as you find someone to take over your guardianship role. The fact that you brought the child into the world makes you responsible for it, until it is old enough to be responsible for itself. I am not responsible for the homeless man. He is responsible for his condition, he is responsible for his survival. His need is not a claim on my life. The decision whether or not to help the man is mine.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The difference between the homeless man and your child is that you are the parent and, thus, the legal guardian of your childs rights. You are free to dump the child at any point in that childs life, so long as you find someone to take over your guardianship role. The fact that you brought the child into the world makes you responsible for it, until it is old enough to be responsible for itself. I am not responsible for the homeless man. He is responsible for his condition, he is responsible for his survival. His need is not a claim on my life. The decision whether or not to help the man is mine.

In saying that, do you feel that you have washed your hands of all moral duty toward those in need? Of course it is your decision - to help or not to help. But can there be a question as to what is the right decision (or at the very least, the better decision)?

Upvote 0

lordbt

$
Feb 23, 2007
Mentor, Ohio
✟27,008.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
You critique LordBT and reference a post of mine (the whole smiling child thing is mine) that somewhat resolves your critique, but you choose not to include my solution as a caveat to your argument. In our hypothetical Objectivist world, LordBT and I have suggested to valid solutions with real-world examples to CoG's concern that children will be left to starve on the streets. LordBT brings up the fact that rationally self-interested mutually-beneficial trade allows for parents to nurture their children. You correctly critique this almost as I have done, but you ignore my second line of argument. At least for the children (though not so much for the sick, elderly, and whatever) rationally-self interested investors can invest in the child's future income in exchange for providing for the child's current needs. Though I'm a firm advocate of the welfare state, and I think it performs this function better than the free market alternative, if the libertarians ultimately win the political argument over the next century this is likely to be a real factor in the world your descendants inherit. It has some merits, but I think quite a few drawbacks also. I don't personally like it, but it's actually in the range of possibilities I perceive for human society five centuries from now. It's functional, alleviates most of your concern, and is pretty libertarian. There are better systems that we could implement and I suspect this system is probably one of the worst options, but it's a definite possibility. I'd bet money given the right odds.
The beauty of some future free society built upon Objectivist principles is that you and like minded individuals would be free to erect your own version of a social safety net. The difference would be that it would not be state run and participation and contribution would be voluntary. There are plenty of liberals in the world, and plenty of rich ones. They would be free to put their money where their mouths are, not mine. What would be so horrible about that?

Upvote 0

lordbt

$
Feb 23, 2007
Mentor, Ohio
✟27,008.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
God certainly forces us to obey, at least in the same respect as we do. We say "Don't murder anyone or else we'll throw you in jail(a place of punishment you don't want to be)." God says "Don't murder or I'll put you in hell(a place of punishment you don't want to be)."
If God forced you to obey, you would obey. The fact that you can murder, you can steal, you can break all the Commandments is evidence that he does not force obedience to His word. Sin is dis-obedience to God, so clearly, He does not force us to obey. That there are supposed consequences to that dis-obedience (hell) does not mean the choice to dis-obey does not exist.

Upvote 0

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The beauty of some future free society built upon Objectivist principles is that you and like minded individuals would be free to erect your own version of a social safety net. The difference would be that it would not be state run and participation and contribution would be voluntary. There are plenty of liberals in the world, and plenty of rich ones. They would be free to put their money where their mouths are, not mine. What would be so horrible about that?

How would such a society, in practical terms, work?

Upvote 0

lordbt

$
Feb 23, 2007
Mentor, Ohio
✟27,008.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Altruism (
11px-Loudspeaker.svg.png
/ˈæltruːɪzəm/) is the renunciation of the self, and a concern for the welfare of others

Part of the renunciation of self is the renunciation of those things of value to the self. I suspect that despite the frustration you feel with your daughter at times, you still rank her among your highest values. Even in the heat of disagreement with her, you would fight to your last breath to defend her from an intruder. That is not altruism. Altruism would be you sacrificing yourself and that which you value--your daughter--to save a stranger. That is the true moral evil of altruism.

Upvote 0