Visit site
✟15,513.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I am thinking of starting something for children at my church. There used to a children's church part during worship service for the adults and there isn't anyone who wants to do it anymore. I am thinking of starting it up again. Do you have any ideas that I could do with this so the children can learn about Jesus and his love for them?

My children are ages 5 and 7. I know that children get bored and aren't interested in what the preacher has to say. I am open to any suggestion.:thumbsup:

Shield

Nov 9, 2007
✟15,128.00
Faith
Christian
It really depends on how many kids you are dealing with. If it is just a few, then I would suggest one of the many resource books published by Group, Standard, or DC Cook, to name a few. I would recommend Sunday School Specials by Group Publishing. There are four volumes, each of which have 13 main lessons and possibly a couple of seasonal extras.

If it is a large number kids, such as 50+, then I the books above could work, but a different approach would be necessary.

Also, don't do it alone. Get help from other parents or perhaps teens in your church. Get the blessing and support of your pastor. Make sure every worker receives a federal background check.

There are lots of good resources on the web. I haven't been using this forum long enough to have link posting privileges, but if you are interested in more discussion you are welcome to msg me.

Thanks for your heart for kids and best wishes to you!

Upvote 0

Robinsegg

SuperMod L's
Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2006
Near the Mississippi
✟63,126.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Make sure you have the support of the other parents, and someone who is willing to take it at least once per month (to give you time to worship and learn).

Choose an age range, whether you want them to come to you before services start or after the music portion, and how many rooms you want to use. You can take stories directly from Scripture and help the children understand the basic stories, or (depending on the kids) you can help them understand how to apply the stories to their lives. There's tons of Children's Church materials available, but see if there's old Sunday School or VBS stuff laying around . . . you could construct whole new lessons off of that, and not spend money right away! Some teachers keep their information for years, in which case you could use material from 3 years ago and none of the kids will know the diff.

Rachel

Upvote 0

WebPrincess

Jan 24, 2008
United States
Visit site
✟15,326.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You can tell biblical stories ... teach the concepts of love, friendship etc. using crafts ... there are a lot things that you can do with children, there are a lot of FREE resources on the web that you can print and use ...
May God bless you in your ministry.

Upvote 0

missmsdancearama

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 17, 2008
Schaumburg, Illinois
✟184,697.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Every Sunday we have a children's message just before the sermon when all the kids come up and sit on the steps by the Altar and they have a lady that talks to me about what the sermon is going to be but in their words that they can understand along with an example.
Do you have any children that have autism in your church?

Upvote 0

missmsdancearama

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 17, 2008
Schaumburg, Illinois
✟184,697.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thank you. I will tell my daughter (KittyStorm92) My grandson is autistic. So it makes it a little difficult to work with him. He's very smart for a 6yr old. Loves to tell you the weather report and the time. He loves music and sings on pitch. Learns the songs right away too. Right now he is going to VBS and so far he is having a good time and they haven't had any melt-downs where he looses control. So that's good. I will have to check out your website. Thanks again.

Upvote 0