California
✟37,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I adore children. I went to college with the initial ambition of becoming a special education teacher. When I worked in a bookstore, I read stories to kids every Saturday and hosted all the kids events. I've played in wacky costume bands who've done shows at schools and that sparked a desire to pursue work in children's media: I'd love to write kids' books or work in children's television. I have immense respect and admiration for anyone who works with children in any capacity.

That being said, I most certainly do NOT want kids of my own. I love working with them, playing with them, entertaining them...but I could not be attending to them literally 24/7 for the rest of my natural life. I don't know if I have that kind of particular patience or responsibility.

Reactions: LadyOfMystery
Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟899,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I definitely want kids! I even have names picked out. :bigeye: lol
cool My health and abilites or lack thereof just make me feel that I could NOT properly care for kids. I have even seriously considered getting "fixed" to prevent that.

Upvote 0

Bananagator

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?
Nov 20, 2013
✟14,432.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I'm not sure.
I used to be 100% positive that I wanted to have kids. Like, my WHOLE life. But as I get older I'm starting to question it.

But if I get married and my husband is cool with having kids, I'll probably have them hahaha

Upvote 0

BookofMatt

Jesus is Lord
Nov 7, 2012
California
✟37,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
cool My health and abilites or lack thereof just make me feel that I could NOT properly care for kids. I have even seriously considered getting "fixed" to prevent that.

I forgot that I have a similar predicament; I inherited rather severe mental illness from my maternal grandfather (who killed himself long before I was born). Aside from the issues of proper care, it would be downright irresponsible of me to breed and potentially subject a future child to the same kind of emotional hardships I've had to endure. So, even if I had the option, I would intentionally prevent myself from having any children.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟899,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I forgot that I have a similar predicament; I inherited rather severe mental illness from my maternal grandfather (who killed himself long before I was born). Aside from the issues of proper care, it would be downright irresponsible of me to breed and potentially subject a future child to the same kind of emotional hardships I've had to endure. So, even if I had the option, I would intentionally prevent myself from having any children.
mine is phasical and mental, but not inherited. Mine was pretty much a birth defect ( that would not be passed down or should not be.) I am not sure if the mental health is the result of the defect as well. ( I believe it may be to a certain extent).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LadyOfMystery

Heart of Gold
Mar 25, 2007
North Carolina
✟279,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Both of my parent's first children passed away at birth or baby. So I have that to possibly deal with.

Also, I have a physical disability.

I still very much want kids though. I want to share all the things I've learned and pass them on. Make the world a better place, Lord willing.

Reactions: Somber
Upvote 0

Hannah♥

Dec 10, 2015
USA
✟9,143.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
This is like a loaded question for me. I think kids are great, there are 6 little ones in my immediate family. But the women in my family are completely drained and have no lives for themselves. I'm absolutely positive they'd do it all over again in a heartbeat. I know it's "worth it".

But I'm a very selfish person. I'm a dreamer, planner, wanderer. I need to be able to get up and go whenever I want, do whatever I want. I'm horrible with responsibility. I don't take anything seriously. I have deep-rooted fears of being pregnant/going through labor. These things make me feel like I would just not be a good mother.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to raise a baby with my boyfriend and be parents and do the whole thing. I just don't think the world right now is the right place to bring a child into. Also, my boyfriend and I come from financially unstable homes. He has a huge fear of not being able to provide. As it is right now, neither of us want kids. But we have talked about adoption. I think both of us feel really good about taking a person out of a bad situation and giving them a better life. That may happen for us.

Reactions: Sir Robbins
Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟899,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Both of my parent's first children passed away at birth or baby. So I have that to possibly deal with.

Also, I have a physical disability.

I still very much want kids though. I want to share all the things I've learned and pass them on. Make the world a better place, Lord willing.
Well, and there are various degrees of disability. I, for example, cannot drive due to a seizure history, eyesight AND poor motor skills. Which also affects my ability to do self care such as cook or even get completely dressed on my own. As a result I have NO business having kids if I cannot even properly care for MYSELF independently.

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
This is like a loaded question for me. I think kids are great, there are 6 little ones in my immediate family. But the women in my family are completely drained and have no lives for themselves. I'm absolutely positive they'd do it all over again in a heartbeat. I know it's "worth it".

But I'm a very selfish person. I'm a dreamer, planner, wanderer. I need to be able to get up and go whenever I want, do whatever I want. I'm horrible with responsibility. I don't take anything seriously. I have deep-rooted fears of being pregnant/going through labor. These things make me feel like I would just not be a good mother.
I wouldn't say that it's selfish to not want to be "completely drained." That's a pretty reasonable wish. On the contrary, I would say that the selfish ones are people who have children just to gain the approval of others. It isn't good for them or their kids. And this is coming from someone who wants to have a handful of children. Children shouldn't be born for the purpose of gaining social capital.

However, it's also entirely possible to be a mother without losing yourself. :) I would take a look at what some other women are doing.

Upvote 0

Hannah♥

Dec 10, 2015
USA
✟9,143.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I wouldn't say that it's selfish to not want to be "completely drained." That's a pretty reasonable wish. On the contrary, I would say that the selfish ones are people who have children just to gain the approval of others. It isn't good for them or their kids. And this is coming from someone who wants to have a handful of children. Children shouldn't be born for the purpose of gaining social capital.

However, it's also entirely possible to be a mother without losing yourself. :) I would take a look at what some other women are doing.
That's true. I know a Christian woman who had kids because her husband wanted them. She has two girls, and she takes good care of them but she her heart doesn't seem there.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟899,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
That's true. I know a Christian woman who had kids because her husband wanted them. She has two girls, and she takes good care of them but she her heart doesn't seem there.
If he were my husband well he would not be because I will make it VERY clear I do not want children and so if a man wants to be a father there are PLENTY of other women.

Upvote 0

Born2live4ever

Aug 13, 2009
California
Visit site
✟15,652.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
At this point in my life, attempting to parent a child would be a bad idea. I'm nowhere near ready to be responsible for any life but my own. But, when I get older, I think I really want to be a foster parent. Especially for the older kids, who are unfortunately less likely to be adopted. Specifically the LGBTQIAP+ kids who are abandoned by their families and often otherwise end up homeless.

Reactions: BookofMatt
Upvote 0

Hannah♥

Dec 10, 2015
USA
✟9,143.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
At this point in my life, attempting to parent a child would be a bad idea. I'm nowhere near ready to be responsible for any life but my own. But, when I get older, I think I really want to be a foster parent. Especially for the older kids, who are unfortunately less likely to be adopted. Specifically the LGBTQIAP+ kids who are abandoned by their families and often otherwise end up homeless.
That is noble of you! I think adoption is a beautiful blessing.

Upvote 0

Born2live4ever

Aug 13, 2009
California
Visit site
✟15,652.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
That is noble of you! I think adoption is a beautiful blessing.
Thanks! I'm inclined to it, because I have no desire to procreate, lol. That, and there are already so many kids in need of loving homes in the world; it seems like a better idea to take care of those already born than to produce more. Of course, that's coming from my perspective, in which I don't really care about having a family with the same genes. Some people really look forward to having children that have their blood, and all that, and some might even look forward to being pregnant. That's cool, but it's definitely not for me. :p

Upvote 0