Children During Worship

her2011

Mar 27, 2011
✟7,766.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
In our church, the children are in Sunday school until communion, when they come down for a blessing then sit in the front row. this is 20 minutes from the end, so not too much for young children.

I had my Daughter with me in the services from when she was 8 days old until 2 years old :-D, now she can only really sit still for 20 minutes (how many 2 year olds can do that!) so she goes to sunday school

Upvote 0

ashout

As Tall as Goliath and as fearsome too!
Oct 27, 2009
Home
✟10,056.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I do not believe it's biblical to segregate the children to "kiddy church." What do you folks think?

of course its biblical! what in the world is your reasoning for your bold statement? (and i hope i dont come across as rude)

Upvote 0

the particular baptist

pactum serva
Nov 14, 2008
Currently reside in Knoxville, TN
Visit site
✟10,768.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I do not believe it's biblical to segregate the children to "kiddy church." What do you folks think?

I agree. This was one of the big reasons for the split among baptists 150 years ago in America. The group who did not want to vary from the NT church remained, Old School, Strict, or Primitive. The group who wanted to adopt the modern man made methodologies became "Missionary" and eventually formed the SBC.

Our service starts at 10:30am and goes to 12p.m, then a fellowship meal downstairs till 1:30 or so, then back upstairs for the afternoon service till 2:30 or so. There are probably 30+ children under 10 years old and you wouldnt even know it. None are playing with toys or coloring, but engaged in the service like their parents teach them.

I try to have family devotions at least once a week where we sing hymns, catechize, and so forth so they learn at home how to be quiet and pay attention during a church service.

Reactions: kenrapoza
Upvote 0

MagusAlbertus

custom user title
Aug 25, 2003
Edinburg TX
Visit site
✟1,310.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Air conditioning and heating aren't biblical either.

Are you trying to argue that it's anti-biblical? 'cause then you've got to... you know... substantiate your statement...

Then maybe there is no need to make an argument, I think you're right, just say things and not worry about what others think because, well, they must be wrong (proof: they disagree with you). Are you perfect in all that you think?

Upvote 0

the particular baptist

pactum serva
Nov 14, 2008
Currently reside in Knoxville, TN
Visit site
✟10,768.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Air conditioning and heating aren't biblical either.

Bit of a strawman dont you think ?

Are you trying to argue that it's anti-biblical?

Not necessarily. But, which is more to the pattern of Scripture.

Are you perfect in all that you think?

Strawman. Sunday schools and youth groups and such were not in the early church. Now, you may like them and have your kids participate, your prerogative. I dont like them and wouldnt attend a congregation that employed such methodologies, its my prerogative.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HumbleMan

Ragamuffin
Dec 2, 2003
Mississippi by way of Texas
✟17,870.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We have Sunday school. Let's be honest, children under a certain age won't understand, and won't follow what the preacher is saying. Parent's should take what is in the sermon and break it down into something that their child can understand.

What's funny, I know children who go to ______ Baptist, a large SBC, and when they visited their friend's local UMC, they complained because at the UMC, they actually studied scripture and talked about Jesus in Sunday school. Seems they were used to going to SS at the SBC and playing video games and hanging out.

Upvote 0

wpbarrett

Striving for perfection in Christ Jesus
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2010
✟25,107.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
we have what is called little church, all the teachers are trained to work with kids. my 6 year old is very very aware of his Lord Jesus Christ, he learned it in little church and at home. there is no way he would have learned that much getting restless in our regular service. I'm all for little church if its ran right.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
JM said:
TPB, I agree.

Do you folks ever feel pressured to send your children off to kids church?

I don't know if some feel pressure, but it's not from the pastors. Some kids go, some don't. One pastor's kid goes. The other pastor's kids never do. It's there if a parent chooses.

Upvote 0

wpbarrett

Striving for perfection in Christ Jesus
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2010
✟25,107.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I don't know if some feel pressure, but it's not from the pastors. Some kids go, some don't. One pastor's kid goes. The other pastor's kids never do. It's there if a parent chooses.

Same at our church hammster, my kid loves it. but its up to the parents and kids if they go, no pressure at all.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Matthew Lee

Mar 24, 2011
✟15,154.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Let me give you some startling statistics. One in three children presented with the gospel from the age of five to twelve will accept Jesus as their Savior. In the teenage years that number drops to four out of a hundred and in adulthood rises slightly to six out of a hundred. If we are to see people saved we need to start taking children's ministry seriously, a properly trained staff and organized church service for children is a very effective means of accomplishing this goal. Children's Church should never be considered babysitting. As long as I have been involved we have had songs, prayer, taken an offering and a Bible lesson with an invitation at the end. Theology, salvation and Christian living aren't watered down, they are taught in a simplistic manner that is understandable for children.

As you can tell I am a firm believer in Children's Church. I have seen firsthand what it can do in the lives of young believers.

Upvote 0

His_disciple3

Nov 22, 2010
as close to Jesus as I can be
✟17,075.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
We have Sunday school. Let's be honest, children under a certain age won't understand, and won't follow what the preacher is saying. Parent's should take what is in the sermon and break it down into something that their child can understand.

What's funny, I know children who go to ______ Baptist, a large SBC, and when they visited their friend's local UMC, they complained because at the UMC, they actually studied scripture and talked about Jesus in Sunday school. Seems they were used to going to SS at the SBC and playing video games and hanging out.
someone just had to bring denomination into the thread now didn't they???

Upvote 0

Verve

No grit, no pearl.
Apr 12, 2011
✟24,640.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
isn't that what the Bible says about the women??? :cool:

Oh no, I didn't just say that did I ? Oh yes I did!!

Do you hate women or something?

As far as children, there is a certain age where they aren't going to be able to sit still and pay attention. Also, the sermon is at a level that they aren't likely to understand.

Yes, I think we should instruct children in the right ways at home.
Yes, I agree with Junior Church or Children's Church.
It gives parents the opportunity to listen to the sermon instead of trying to wrangle their little ones.
It also gives kids the chance to learn biblical lessons in a way that is more accessible to them.

Upvote 0