Anaheim, CA
✟21,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Widowed
I want to know about fundamentalists. They have a major interest in Darwin and natural selection. The AP American History textbook uses their interest in Darwin as a defining quality.

I'm wondering what Darwin has to do with Christianity. He appears to me to have been an Atheist.

HereIStand

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Natural selection is incompatible with the creation account in the Bible, although many Christians try to harmonize the two. Whatever Darwin's personal beliefs or intentions, following natural selection to its conclusion nullifies humanity as created in God's image. At best, it places the Creator in the background, creating life from a natural process, and long and cruel one at that.

Upvote 0

HereIStand

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Looking at every bit of evidence the Creator is giving of his existence it seems the background is His preferred position.
The evidence can only be viewed that way assuming natural selection.

Reactions: lismore
Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm wondering what Darwin has to do with Christianity. He appears to me to have been an Atheist.
When he washed out of school to be a doctor his dad put him in school to be a pastor. When he started his Voyage on the Beagle he would defend the christian faith. By the end he would argue against the Christian faith. Although his good friend Charles Lyell maintained his faith in God. When he lost his daughter neither Christianity or Science could do anything to comfort him.

Other people like Collins have had to reconcile the differences to give us Theistic Evolution today. Darwin did not seem interested to follow in Lyell's footsteps in regards to working out the differences between his faith and his science. Evolution suffered a lot because of that.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Theory of Evolution and the Genesis Creation Narratives are only a problem to those Christians who interpret the Bible in a literalistic way.
I interpret the Bible in a literal way and I do not have a problem with theistic evolution. Although clearly there are issues that need to be resolved but we can only work with what evidence we have to work with. We are limited in the information we have to process.

Upvote 0

Champollion

Dec 24, 2017
Anaheim, CA
✟21,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Widowed
Natural selection is incompatible with the creation account in the Bible, although many Christians try to harmonize the two. Whatever Darwin's personal beliefs or intentions, following natural selection to its conclusion nullifies humanity as created in God's image. At best, it places the Creator in the background, creating life from a natural process, and long and cruel one at that.

Are you saying that Fundamentalists think that life is not a natural process?

Also, I wonder if Fundamentalists object to the time necessary for natural selection ... millions of years rather than six days.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married

Also, I wonder if Fundamentalists object to the time necessary for natural selection ... millions of years rather than six days.

Yep.

Upvote 0

Champollion

Dec 24, 2017
Anaheim, CA
✟21,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Widowed
When he washed out of school to be a doctor his dad put him in school to be a pastor. When he started his Voyage on the Beagle he would defend the christian faith. By the end he would argue against the Christian faith. Although his good friend Charles Lyell maintained his faith in God. When he lost his daughter neither Christianity or Science could do anything to comfort him.

Other people like Collins have had to reconcile the differences to give us Theistic Evolution today. Darwin did not seem interested to follow in Lyell's footsteps in regards to working out the differences between his faith and his science. Evolution suffered a lot because of that.

Do Fundamentalists object to other scientists besides Darwin? For example, James Hutton or Jean-François Champollion?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,229.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I want to know about fundamentalists.
Ask away ... you've come to the right place!
Champollion said:
They have a major interest in Darwin and natural selection.
We do? That's news to me.
Champollion said:
The AP American History textbook uses their interest in Darwin as a defining quality.
Never heard of it.
Champollion said:
I'm wondering what Darwin has to do with Christianity.
Nothing.
Champollion said:
He appears to me to have been an Atheist.
According to the Lady Hope Story though, he's in Heaven now! :)

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
So according to Fundamentalists, life is not a natural process. Is that a common belief among other Christians?

The belief in a literal and inerrant Bible and the rejection of the Theory of Evolution is actually a minority position in the worldwide Christian community. However in parts of the USA it is sometimes the majority understanding

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I want to know about fundamentalists. They have a major interest in Darwin and natural selection. The AP American History textbook uses their interest in Darwin as a defining quality.

Citation please. Most fundamentalist theologians in the late 19th century considered Darwinism as the fruits of the devil.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Have you ever listened to a sermon or Sunday School lesson about how the Bible is right and Darwin is wrong?
Modern biologists are running away from being labeled "Darwinists." They know most of his work was debunked by 20th century science. Some do accept the label of Neo-Darwinist as only holding a philosophical position on evolution.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No that is not correct. It is obvious we live in a material natural world.

The difference for most Christians is we also believe in an uncreated Creator Who is not limited to His own creation and can supernaturally interact and has.

Upvote 0

Champollion

Dec 24, 2017
Anaheim, CA
✟21,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Widowed
The belief in a literal and inerrant Bible and the rejection of the Theory of Evolution is actually a minority position in the worldwide Christian community. However in parts of the USA it is sometimes the majority understanding

So your belief in life's unnatural nature is somehow related to your belief in a literal and inerrant Bible. Is life unique in that respect? What other processes would you think of as not natural?

Upvote 0

Champollion

Dec 24, 2017
Anaheim, CA
✟21,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Widowed
No that is not correct. It is obvious we live in a material natural world.

The difference for most Christians is we also believe in an uncreated Creator Who is not limited to His own creation and can supernaturally interact and has.

So in you view, life is a natural process, and God created the process, is that right?

Upvote 0