Dallas
✟889,442.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Have you ever wondered if those who made the changes that we see in various versions of the new bibles that came after the King James version are guilty of changing God's word?

The chart on the website below shows how some of those changes have been made. I personally stay away from these versions and only read the King James Bible.

What do you think?

I could not post the charts from the site, but I have provided the links:

Bible versions and the preeminence of Christ

Various Contradictions and Omissions in Bible Translations

The KJV has its errors as well, that’s why it’s had 421 changes since it’s first translation in 1611AD. And they still haven’t got them all fixed. My biggest concern with the KJV is it is not a literal word for word translation. In many places the translators have injected their interpretations of what’s being meant instead of translating what was actually written. So it basically has the translators commentary embedded into it instead of focusing on being an actual translation of what the original authors wrote.

• Winner
Reactions: pescador
Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,442.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't agree - I trust the King James Bible. I don't speak Hebrew and Greek, I was not raised Hebrew and Greek, and they are not languages I understand, as I speak, write, and understand English. The work of the King James Bible's translation was a painstaking ordeal to get it right way back in the 1600s, and I believe God inspired. I have no right to so call inspect or judge the KJV based on the original Greek and Hebrew when the work has been completed.

There are concordances and lexicons that are extremely easy to use that can be helpful in comparing Bible versions to the Greek and Hebrew texts. I recommend Strong’s Concordance or biblehub.com is another great source. You can type in Google or Safari any verse and type lexicon after it and biblehub.com will usually be at the top of the screen showing a word for word translation. For example if you type “John 3:16 lexicon” on any web browser and click on biblehub you’ll get this. John 3:16 Lexicon: "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. Learning the meanings of the Greek and Hebrew words can dramatically increase your understanding of the message the original authors were trying to convey especially since some Greek words can’t accurately be translated into English because they contain definitions that you can’t actually translate to English by just using one word. Like the words faith and believe for example, the English words don’t fully convey the actual meaning or definition of the Greek words pistis and pisteuo because they also imply a certain level of devotion, trustworthiness, and fidelity. Our English words faith and believe do not include these qualities in their definition. Repent or metanoia is another good example where the English word doesn’t fully contain the same definition. They had to use these words and include an actual biblical definition apart from their secular meanings to keep from having to replace these Greek words with several English words. So when you see the definitions in concordances or lexicons they will sometimes have added meanings in the definition that you won’t find in your typical secular dictionary.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,442.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The article you listed is based on one man's opinion. Why should I take that person's word for it. What I would prefer is true history to show some truth that the other versions cannot be compared to the KJV because they are just as authentic. Not a man's opinion.

I think what he meant was you can’t compare newer versions of the Bible to the KJV to determine their accuracy. The only way to determine accuracy is to compare them to the original texts.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,442.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No, I see your point because some people say the Shakespearean language can be difficult, and if it is distracting, then I guess the best thing to do is find a bible that is very close to its translation. However, for me, the language does not cause a problem, and because there have been changes in words and even omissions in some of the newer versions, I stay away from them.

Yes I had that problem as well, when I first came to Christ I used the NLT version which is probably close to one of the worst translations. Lol I didn’t know it at the time but it didn’t take long after doing some Bible study to figure that out. Now my preference is the NASB. From what I’ve seen it has a very accurate literal word for word translation which was what I was looking for. I want to read what the original authors actually wrote not what a translator thought they meant by what they wrote and that’s what I see in the KJV.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Just because you don't understand the verses does not mean the bible is wrong. It's your fault, meaning it's all of our faults if we don't understand. We don't want to be among he spiritual blind, John 12:40. Pray for understanding. I do understand the verses and many other people also. So you have to be the one to change to be able to understand; the bible should not change to accommodate you or any of us!

What makes you think that I don't understand the verses? Or what makes you think that you possess an understanding of early 17th Century English that I lack? You need to pray for understanding.

Why do you worship a 400-year old translation? Why do you think that God supposedly wants people to be confused about the archaic language, as though confusion is somehow equated with holiness. I strongly believe that people like you use the King James to falsely seem holy and religious. When you make a statement like "the bible should not change to accommodate you or any of us" it's obvious that you worship early 17th Century English, somehow equating it with the way God spoke. It's a joke!!

I sincerely doubt that you actually understand what you're reading! For example, what does this mean..? (from Luke 14)
"
8 When thou art bidden of any man to a wedding, sit not down in the highest room; lest a more honourable man than thou be bidden of him;

9 And he that bade thee and him come and say to thee, Give this man place; and thou begin with shame to take the lowest room.

10 But when thou art bidden, go and sit down in the lowest room; that when he that bade thee cometh, he may say unto thee, Friend, go up higher: then shalt thou have worship in the presence of them that sit at meat with thee.

11 For whosoever exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

Finally, I totally agree with BNR32FAN, who posted this: The KJV has its errors as well, that’s why it’s had 421 changes since it’s first translation in 1611AD. And they still haven’t got them all fixed. My biggest concern with the KJV is it is not a literal word for word translation. In many places the translators have injected their interpretations of what’s being meant instead of translating what was actually written. So it basically has the translators commentary embedded into it instead of focusing on being an actual translation of what the original authors wrote.

Upvote 0

biblelesson

Jun 11, 2021
College Park
✟72,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes I had that problem as well, when I first came to Christ I used the NLT version which is probably close to one of the worst translations. Lol I didn’t know it at the time but it didn’t take long after doing some Bible study to figure that out. Now my preference is the NASB. From what I’ve seen it has a very accurate literal word for word translation which was what I was looking for. I want to read what the original authors actually wrote not what a translator thought they meant by what they wrote and that’s what I see in the KJV.

The NASB was published in 1963, three hundred and fifty two years after the Kings James bible. So how do you know that the NASB is a "very accurate literal word for word translation"? What are you comparing it to? Do you possess the actual original manuscripts from the original writers/old testament prophets/new testament apostles, etc., that is the Hebrew and Greek manuscripts to be able to make that claim?

Upvote 0

biblelesson

Jun 11, 2021
College Park
✟72,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What makes you think that I don't understand the verses? Or what makes you think that you possess an understanding of early 17th Century English that I lack? You need to pray for understanding.

Why do you worship a 400-year old translation? Why do you think that God supposedly wants people to be confused about the archaic language, as though confusion is somehow equated with holiness. I strongly believe that people like you use the King James to falsely seem holy and religious. When you make a statement like "the bible should not change to accommodate you or any of us" it's obvious that you worship early 17th Century English, somehow equating it with the way God spoke. It's a joke!!

I sincerely doubt that you actually understand what you're reading! For example, what does this mean..? (from Luke 14)
"
8 When thou art bidden of any man to a wedding, sit not down in the highest room; lest a more honourable man than thou be bidden of him;

9 And he that bade thee and him come and say to thee, Give this man place; and thou begin with shame to take the lowest room.

10 But when thou art bidden, go and sit down in the lowest room; that when he that bade thee cometh, he may say unto thee, Friend, go up higher: then shalt thou have worship in the presence of them that sit at meat with thee.

11 For whosoever exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

Finally, I totally agree with BNR32FAN, who posted this: The KJV has its errors as well, that’s why it’s had 421 changes since it’s first translation in 1611AD. And they still haven’t got them all fixed. My biggest concern with the KJV is it is not a literal word for word translation. In many places the translators have injected their interpretations of what’s being meant instead of translating what was actually written. So it basically has the translators commentary embedded into it instead of focusing on being an actual translation of what the original authors wrote.

To answer your question regarding Luke 14, and the scriptures you listed. As the bible interprets itself, the answer to the meaning is given in verse 11. The scriptures are about not being prideful before men, but humble before men, and God will exalt thee.

Also, I don’t worship a 400-year-old translation. The fact is the KJV happens to be a 400-year-old translation, and is the bible I choose to read, and I do pray for understanding. You assume that those who choose to read the KJV do so because they want people to be confused about the archaic language and somehow equate it with holiness. It’s not the archaic language that is holy. It’s God’s spoken word that’s holy.

Don’t look at the language but look at how you are guided by the Holy Spirit to understand the bible. If the focus is about the language of the bible, we then place ourselves in the position of judging God’s word and believing man has the right to change it. You said, why do I believe God want people to be confused by the archaic language. See, this is your statement, not God’s. However, I never thought about it nor cared about it because I understand that the bible is Holy Spirit inspired and He will guide me.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,442.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The NASB was published in 1963, three hundred and fifty two years after the Kings James bible. So how do you know that the NASB is a "very accurate literal word for word translation"? What are you comparing it to? Do you possess the actual original manuscripts from the original writers/old testament prophets/new testament apostles, etc., that is the Hebrew and Greek manuscripts to be able to make that claim?

I have a Greek interlinear Bible app that shows me what was written textus receptus. It’s really a wonderful app that shows word for word the Greek words, then it gives the corresponding Strong’s Concordance number, and the English word. Each verse looks like this.

John 3:16

16 Οὕτως (so) G3779 Adv γὰρ (For) G1063 Conj ἠγάπησεν (loved) G25 V-AIA-3S ὁ (the) G3588 Art-NMS θεὸς (God) G2316 N-NMS τὸν (the) G3588 Art-AMS κόσμον (world) G2889 N-AMS ὥστε (that) G5620 Conj τὸν (the) G3588 Art-AMS υἱὸν (Son) G5207 N-AMS τὸν (the) G3588 Art-AMS μονογενῆ (begotten) G3439 Adj-AMS ἔδωκεν (gave) G1325 V-AIA-3S ἵνα (that) G2443 Conj πᾶς (whoever) G3956 Adj-NMS ὁ (the) G3588 Art-NMS πιστεύων (believes) G4100 V-PPA-NMS εἰς (in) G1519 Prep αὐτὸν (he) G846 PPro-AM3S μὴ (not) G3361 Adv ἀπόληται (perish) G622 V-ASM-3S ἀλλ’ (but) G235 Conj ἔχῃ (have) G2192 V-PSA-3S ζωὴν (life) G2222 N-AFS αἰώνιον (eternal) G166 Adj-AFS

John 3:16

16 for God did so love the world, that His Son – the only begotten – He gave, that every one who is believing in him may not perish, but may have life age-during.

These numbers are used in Strong’s Concordance as a reference to a particular Greek or Hebrew word. The English words are in () so you can see word for word what is actually written in the Greek textus receptus which is a copy of a copy of a copy etc etc. We don’t have any fragments of the originals only fragments of copies. But the KJV is translated from the textus receptus so I can see the errors in their translations by using this app. One prime example is 2 Peter 3:9. Notice the KJV uses the term “us-ward” instead of “you” in this particular verse while in every other case of this Greek word being translated in the KJV Bible it’s translated as “you”. They intentionally changed that word so that it wouldn’t imply that God’s patience is towards all men but only towards His elect. This verse is catered to support reformed theology.

“The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.”
‭‭2 Peter‬ ‭3:9‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish but for all to come to repentance.”
‭‭2 Peter‬ ‭3:9‬ ‭NASB1995‬‬

And the Greek interlinear Bible showing the word for word textus receptus.

2 Peter 3:9

9 οὐ (not) G3756 Adv βραδύνει (slow) G1019 V-PIA-3S Κύριος (Lord) G2962 N-NMS τῆς (the) G3588 Art-GFS ἐπαγγελίας (promise) G1860 N-GFS ὥς (as) G5613 Adv τινες (some) G5100 IPro-NMP βραδυτῆτα (slowness) G1022 N-AFS ἡγοῦνται (count) G2233 V-PIM/P-3P ἀλλὰ (but) G235 Conj μακροθυμεῖ (patient) G3114 V-PIA-3S εἰς (toward) G1519 Prep ὑμᾶς (you) G4771 PPro-A2P μὴ (not) G3361 Adv βουλόμενός (wishing) G1014 V-PPM/P-NMS τινας (some) G5100 IPro-AMP ἀπολέσθαι (perish) G622 V-ANM ἀλλὰ (but) G235 Conj πάντας (all) G3956 Adj-AMP εἰς (toward) G1519 Prep μετάνοιαν (repentance) G3341 N-AFS χωρῆσαι (come) G5562 V-ANA

Another error is

“How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations! For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north:”
‭‭Isaiah‬ ‭14:12-13‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“How you have fallen from heaven, O star of the morning, son of the dawn! You have been cut down to the earth, You who have weakened the nations! But you said in your heart, ‘I will ascend to heaven; I will raise my throne above the stars of God, And I will sit on the mount of assembly In the recesses of the north. I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will make myself like the Most High.’”
‭‭Isaiah‬ ‭14:12-14‬ ‭NASB1995‬‬

This is what I mean about not giving a word for word translation instead they’ve given their interpretation of what was being said instead of an actual translation.

• Agree
Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

Do you really think that the KJV possessed the actual original manuscripts from the original writers/old testament prophets/new testament apostles, etc., that is the Hebrew and Greek manuscripts? Really?

They did a good job of translating the limited set of manuscripts that they had into a form of English that is now no longer in use. If you read the KJV preface, they wrote that they used earlier English translations in their work and, more importantly, expected their work to be modified over time.

• Agree
Reactions: BNR32FAN
Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
To answer your question regarding Luke 14, and the scriptures you listed. As the bible interprets itself, the answer to the meaning is given in verse 11. The scriptures are about not being prideful before men, but humble before men, and God will exalt thee.

Also, I don’t worship a 400-year-old translation. The fact is the KJV happens to be a 400-year-old translation, and is the bible I choose to read, and I do pray for understanding. You assume that those who choose to read the KJV do so because they want people to be confused about the archaic language and somehow equate it with holiness. It’s not the archaic language that is holy. It’s God’s spoken word that’s holy.

Don’t look at the language but look at how you are guided by the Holy Spirit to understand the bible. If the focus is about the language of the bible, we then place ourselves in the position of judging God’s word and believing man has the right to change it. You said, why do I believe God want people to be confused by the archaic language. See, this is your statement, not God’s. However, I never thought about it nor cared about it because I understand that the bible is Holy Spirit inspired and He will guide me.

If what you claim is true, then why don't you write in early 17th Century English? I assume that you want your posts to be clearly understood; why apply a different principle to the Bible?

You wrote, "If the focus is about the language of the bible, we then place ourselves in the position of judging God’s word and believing man has the right to change it." Really?? You actually equate archaic Englyshe with God's Word? The Bible "books" were written in ancient Hebrew, Aramaic, and Koine Greek. What we have today are English translations of those languages (as well as many other languages). The King James Bible is a => translation <= of the texts that were available 400+ years ago into the COMMON LANGUAGE of the time. It is not now, and never has been the Word of God.

My personal opinion is that somehow the reading of the archaic Englyshe of KJV makes you feel holy. You can't forget, of course, than when God came to earth in the form of Jesus Christ, He came as a Galilean carpenter who spoke Aramaic. He opposed the Pharisees and Sadducees who were so stuck in their interpretation of the Bible that they missed God's anointed and His message.

When Jesus spoke to the thousands of (illiterate) people, do you think He spoke in some confusing language? Of course not! He spoke in the common language of the day because He wanted them to understand what He was saying. That is the exact opposite of what the KJV "speaks".

Now please read this very carefully: the King James version is not the original "word of God"; it is a translation of the best manuscripts of the time and used other available translations. The English language has changed considerably over the past 410 years; it's the language that you and I and many others use every single day, including in the posts on this forum.

A lot more is known about the ancient languages and cultures of Biblical times, and there are many more manuscripts and artifacts that have been discovered that shed new light on both. What do you have against modern Biblical scholarship?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,442.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Do you really think that the KJV possessed the actual original manuscripts from the original writers/old testament prophets/new testament apostles, etc., that is the Hebrew and Greek manuscripts? Really?

They did a good job of translating the limited set of manuscripts that they had into a form of English that is now no longer in use. If you read the KJV preface, they wrote that they used earlier English translations in their work and, more importantly, expected their work to be modified over time.

Yes I agree and probably over 99% of it is spot on accurate. My main reason for not using it is because I think it’s catered more towards reformed theology which I don’t practice. I have a tendency to lean more towards the Orthodox Church’s teachings when it comes to doctrines on salvation. The KJV is definitely a great Bible perfectly capable of spreading God’s word and leading people to salvation, no doubt.

Upvote 0

biblelesson

Jun 11, 2021
College Park
✟72,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I have posted the preface that explains somewhat about the manuscripts King James and his committee used.,which states "That out of the Originall sacred tongues, together with comparing of the labours, both in our owne and other forreigne Languages, of many worthy men who went before us, there should be one more exact Translation of the holy Scriptures into the English tongue; your MAJESTIE did never desist, to urge and to excite those to whom it was commended, that the worke might be hastened, and that the businesse might be expedited in so decent a maner, as a matter of such importance might justly require."

I'm commenting base on what I believe to be true! No one has to believe what I say, but I have listed a few scriptures below.

If you will notice in the preface, there is no where that states they expected their work to be modified. In fact they said the work was a final work as they continued the work of those that came before them, then brought the work to a conclusion. Also there is a prayer for God's grace and protection to gives continuance to honest and Christian endevours, against bitter censures, and uncharitable imputations. This statement alone is praying for protection "against" accusations of having done something wrong in the work, and disapproval of the work.

Now, notice the entire preface; it is a prayer from a King to the Majesty on High to accept the work that he has done and the King prays to the Majesty on High for work to be approved by Him and blessed by Him.

The King dedicates and presents the work to God stating, "There are infinite arguments of this right Christian and Religious affection in your MAJESTIE: but none is more forcible to declare it to others, then the vehement and perpetuated desire of the accomplishing and publishing of this Worke, which now with all humilitie we present unto your MAJESTIE."

I'm making this point because the prayer and dedication by a King, King James, to God is held sacred by God. A King's dedication and prayer to God is either for good or for bad. However, in this case, it was for good, because God's word was being honored and the work was a work of God's salvation for all men. God honors this work based on the King's positions and title which only God ordained. I can absolutely make this statement to be a fact based on certain scriptures.

Daniel 2:21, "... he removeth kings, and setteth up kings: he giveth wisdom unto the wise, and knowledge to them that know understanding:"

Romans 13:1, "Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the power that be are ordained by God."

Proverbs 21:1, "The king's heart is in the hand of the LORD, as the rivers of water: he turneth it withersoever he will."

1 Peter 2:13-14, ..."submit yourselves to every ordinance of man for the Lord's sake: whether it be to the king as supreme: 14 or unto governors as unto them that are sent by Him..."

So we must be carful to oppose work that was dedicated to God by a King who God set up. King James made reference to those who would oppose his work in his prayer, so because of that, I would be carful. Anyone who opposes the work of King James is in fact opposing God's blessing toward His Own work.

Because those who came after King James were not set up by God nor established to do this work. They made changes base on their opposition to the work, which King James prayed about, a prayer that God would have honored from a King He set up. Here is the prayer, "...we may rest secure, supported within by the trueth and innocencie of a good conscience, having walked the wayes of simplicitie and integritie, as before the Lord; And sustained without, by the powerfull Protection of your Majesties grace and favour, which will ever give countenance to honest and Christian endevours, against bitter censures, and uncharitable imputations.

I would be careful!

King James Version - Original Preface [1611]
Epistle and Dedicatorie

To the most high and mightie Prince, James by the grace of God
King of Great Britaine, France and Ireland, Defender of the Faith , &c.
The translators of The Bible, wish Grace, Mercie, and Peace, through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Great and manifold were the blessings (most dread Soveraigne) which Almighty GOD, the Father of all Mercies, bestowed upon us the people of ENGLAND, when first he sent your Majesties Royall person to rule and raigne over us. For whereas it was the expectation of many, who wished not well unto our ZION, that upon the setting of that bright Occidentall Starre Queene ELIZABETH of most happy memory, some thicke and palpable cloudes of darkenesse would so have overshadowed this land, that men should have bene in doubt which way they were to walke, and that it should hardly be knowen, who was to direct the unsetled State: the appearance of your MAJESTIE, as of the Sunne in his strength, instantly dispelled those supposed and surmised mists, and gave unto all that were well affected, exceeding cause of comfort; especially when we beheld the government established in your HIGHNESSE, and your hopefull Seed, by an undoubted Title, and this also accompanied with Peace and tranquillitie, at home and abroad.

But amongst all our Joyes, there was no one that more filled our hearts, then the blessed continuance of the Preaching of GODS sacred word amongst us, which is that inestimable treasure, which excelleth all the riches of the earth, because the fruit thereof extendeth it selfe, not onely to the time spent in this transitory world, but directeth and disposeth men unto that Eternall happinesse which is above in Heaven.

Then, not to suffer this to fall to the ground, but rather to take it up, and to continue it in that state, wherein the famous predecessour of your HIGHNESSE did leave it; Nay, to goe forward with the confidence and resolution of a man in maintaining the trueth of CHRIST, and propagating it farre and neere, is that which hath so bound and firmely knit the hearts of all your MAJESTIES loyall and Religious people unto you, that your very Name is precious among them, their eye doeth behold you with comfort, and they blesse you in their hearts, as that sanctified person, who under GOD, is the immediate authour of their true happinesse. And this their contentment doeth not diminish or decay, but every day increaseth and taketh strength, when they observe that the zeale of your Majestie towards the house of GOD, doth not slacke or goe backward, but is more and more kindled, manifesting it selfe abroad in the furthest parts of Christendome, by writing in defence of the Trueth, (which hath given such a blow unto that man of Sinne, as will not be healed) and every day at home, by Religious and learned discourse, by frequenting the house of GOD, by hearing the word preached, by cherishing the teachers therof, by caring for the Church as a most tender and loving nourcing Father.

There are infinite arguments of this right Christian and Religious affection in your MAJESTIE: but none is more forcible to declare it to others, then the vehement and perpetuated desire of the accomplishing and publishing of this Worke, which now with all humilitie we present unto your MAJESTIE. For when your Highnesse had once out of deepe judgment apprehended, how convenient it was, That out of the Originall sacred tongues, together with comparing of the labours, both in our owne and other forreigne Languages, of many worthy men who went before us, there should be one more exact Translation of the holy Scriptures into the English tongue; your MAJESTIE did never desist, to urge and to excite those to whom it was commended, that the worke might be hastened, and that the businesse might be expedited in so decent a maner, as a matter of such importance might justly require.

And now at last, by the Mercy of GOD, and the continuance of our Labours, it being brought unto such a conclusion, as that we have great hope that the Church of England shall reape good fruit thereby; we hold it our duety to offer it to your MAJESTIE, not onely as to our King and Soveraigne, but as to the principall moover and Author of the Worke. Humbly craving of your most Sacred Majestie, that since things of this quality have ever bene subject to the censures of ill meaning and discontented persons, it may receive approbation and Patronage from so learned and judicious a Prince as your Highnesse is, whose allowance and acceptance of our Labours, shall more honour us and incourage us, then all the calumniations and hard interpretations of other men shall dismay us. So that, if on the one side we shall be traduced by Popish persons at home or abroad, who therefore will maligne us, because we are poore Instruments to make GODS holy Trueth to be yet more and more knowen unto the people, whom they desire still to keepe in ignorance and darknesse: or if on the other side, we shall be maligned by selfe-conceited brethren, who runne their owne wayes, and give liking unto nothing but what is framed by themselves, and hammered on their Anvile; we may rest secure, supported within by the trueth and innocencie of a good conscience, having walked the wayes of simplicitie and integritie, as before the Lord; And sustained without, by the powerfull Protection of your Majesties grace and favour, which will ever give countenance to honest and Christian endevours, against bitter censures, and uncharitable imputations.

The LORD of Heaven and earth blesse your Majestie with many and happy dayes, that as his Heavenly hand hath enriched your Highnesse with many singular, and extraordinary Graces; so you may be the wonder of the world in this later age, for happinesse and true felicitie, to the honour of that Great GOD, and the good of his Church, through JESUS CHRIST our Lord and onely Saviour.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I have posted the preface that explains somewhat about the manuscripts King James and his committee used.,which states "That out of the Originall sacred tongues, together with comparing of the labours, both in our owne and other forreigne Languages, of many worthy men who went before us, there should be one more exact Translation of the holy Scriptures into the English tongue; your MAJESTIE did never desist, to urge and to excite those to whom it was commended, that the worke might be hastened, and that the businesse might be expedited in so decent a maner, as a matter of such importance might justly require."

I'm commenting base on what I believe to be true! No one has to believe what I say, but I have listed a few scriptures below.

If you will notice in the preface, there is no where that states they expected their work to be modified. In fact they said the work was a final work as they continued the work of those that came before them, then brought the work to a conclusion. Also there is a prayer for God's grace and protection to gives continuance to honest and Christian endevours, against bitter censures, and uncharitable imputations. This statement alone is praying for protection "against" accusations of having done something wrong in the work, and disapproval of the work.

Now, notice the entire preface; it is a prayer from a King to the Majesty on High to accept the work that he has done and the King prays to the Majesty on High for work to be approved by Him and blessed by Him.

The King dedicates and presents the work to God stating, "There are infinite arguments of this right Christian and Religious affection in your MAJESTIE: but none is more forcible to declare it to others, then the vehement and perpetuated desire of the accomplishing and publishing of this Worke, which now with all humilitie we present unto your MAJESTIE."

I'm making this point because the prayer and dedication by a King, King James, to God is held sacred by God. A King's dedication and prayer to God is either for good or for bad. However, in this case, it was for good, because God's word was being honored and the work was a work of God's salvation for all men. God honors this work based on the King's positions and title which only God ordained. I can absolutely make this statement to be a fact based on certain scriptures.

Daniel 2:21, "... he removeth kings, and setteth up kings: he giveth wisdom unto the wise, and knowledge to them that know understanding:"

Romans 13:1, "Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the power that be are ordained by God."

Proverbs 21:1, "The king's heart is in the hand of the LORD, as the rivers of water: he turneth it withersoever he will."

1 Peter 2:13-14, ..."submit yourselves to every ordinance of man for the Lord's sake: whether it be to the king as supreme: 14 or unto governors as unto them that are sent by Him..."

So we must be carful to oppose work that was dedicated to God by a King who God set up. King James made reference to those who would oppose his work in his prayer, so because of that, I would be carful. Anyone who opposes the work of King James is in fact opposing God's blessing toward His Own work.

Because those who came after King James were not set up by God nor established to do this work. They made changes base on their opposition to the work, which King James prayed about, a prayer that God would have honored from a King He set up. Here is the prayer, "...we may rest secure, supported within by the trueth and innocencie of a good conscience, having walked the wayes of simplicitie and integritie, as before the Lord; And sustained without, by the powerfull Protection of your Majesties grace and favour, which will ever give countenance to honest and Christian endevours, against bitter censures, and uncharitable imputations.

I would be careful!

King James Version - Original Preface [1611]
Epistle and Dedicatorie

To the most high and mightie Prince, James by the grace of God
King of Great Britaine, France and Ireland, Defender of the Faith , &c.
The translators of The Bible, wish Grace, Mercie, and Peace, through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Great and manifold were the blessings (most dread Soveraigne) which Almighty GOD, the Father of all Mercies, bestowed upon us the people of ENGLAND, when first he sent your Majesties Royall person to rule and raigne over us. For whereas it was the expectation of many, who wished not well unto our ZION, that upon the setting of that bright Occidentall Starre Queene ELIZABETH of most happy memory, some thicke and palpable cloudes of darkenesse would so have overshadowed this land, that men should have bene in doubt which way they were to walke, and that it should hardly be knowen, who was to direct the unsetled State: the appearance of your MAJESTIE, as of the Sunne in his strength, instantly dispelled those supposed and surmised mists, and gave unto all that were well affected, exceeding cause of comfort; especially when we beheld the government established in your HIGHNESSE, and your hopefull Seed, by an undoubted Title, and this also accompanied with Peace and tranquillitie, at home and abroad.

But amongst all our Joyes, there was no one that more filled our hearts, then the blessed continuance of the Preaching of GODS sacred word amongst us, which is that inestimable treasure, which excelleth all the riches of the earth, because the fruit thereof extendeth it selfe, not onely to the time spent in this transitory world, but directeth and disposeth men unto that Eternall happinesse which is above in Heaven.

Then, not to suffer this to fall to the ground, but rather to take it up, and to continue it in that state, wherein the famous predecessour of your HIGHNESSE did leave it; Nay, to goe forward with the confidence and resolution of a man in maintaining the trueth of CHRIST, and propagating it farre and neere, is that which hath so bound and firmely knit the hearts of all your MAJESTIES loyall and Religious people unto you, that your very Name is precious among them, their eye doeth behold you with comfort, and they blesse you in their hearts, as that sanctified person, who under GOD, is the immediate authour of their true happinesse. And this their contentment doeth not diminish or decay, but every day increaseth and taketh strength, when they observe that the zeale of your Majestie towards the house of GOD, doth not slacke or goe backward, but is more and more kindled, manifesting it selfe abroad in the furthest parts of Christendome, by writing in defence of the Trueth, (which hath given such a blow unto that man of Sinne, as will not be healed) and every day at home, by Religious and learned discourse, by frequenting the house of GOD, by hearing the word preached, by cherishing the teachers therof, by caring for the Church as a most tender and loving nourcing Father.

There are infinite arguments of this right Christian and Religious affection in your MAJESTIE: but none is more forcible to declare it to others, then the vehement and perpetuated desire of the accomplishing and publishing of this Worke, which now with all humilitie we present unto your MAJESTIE. For when your Highnesse had once out of deepe judgment apprehended, how convenient it was, That out of the Originall sacred tongues, together with comparing of the labours, both in our owne and other forreigne Languages, of many worthy men who went before us, there should be one more exact Translation of the holy Scriptures into the English tongue; your MAJESTIE did never desist, to urge and to excite those to whom it was commended, that the worke might be hastened, and that the businesse might be expedited in so decent a maner, as a matter of such importance might justly require.

And now at last, by the Mercy of GOD, and the continuance of our Labours, it being brought unto such a conclusion, as that we have great hope that the Church of England shall reape good fruit thereby; we hold it our duety to offer it to your MAJESTIE, not onely as to our King and Soveraigne, but as to the principall moover and Author of the Worke. Humbly craving of your most Sacred Majestie, that since things of this quality have ever bene subject to the censures of ill meaning and discontented persons, it may receive approbation and Patronage from so learned and judicious a Prince as your Highnesse is, whose allowance and acceptance of our Labours, shall more honour us and incourage us, then all the calumniations and hard interpretations of other men shall dismay us. So that, if on the one side we shall be traduced by Popish persons at home or abroad, who therefore will maligne us, because we are poore Instruments to make GODS holy Trueth to be yet more and more knowen unto the people, whom they desire still to keepe in ignorance and darknesse: or if on the other side, we shall be maligned by selfe-conceited brethren, who runne their owne wayes, and give liking unto nothing but what is framed by themselves, and hammered on their Anvile; we may rest secure, supported within by the trueth and innocencie of a good conscience, having walked the wayes of simplicitie and integritie, as before the Lord; And sustained without, by the powerfull Protection of your Majesties grace and favour, which will ever give countenance to honest and Christian endevours, against bitter censures, and uncharitable imputations.

The LORD of Heaven and earth blesse your Majestie with many and happy dayes, that as his Heavenly hand hath enriched your Highnesse with many singular, and extraordinary Graces; so you may be the wonder of the world in this later age, for happinesse and true felicitie, to the honour of that Great GOD, and the good of his Church, through JESUS CHRIST our Lord and onely Saviour.

Since you wrote " Anyone who opposes the work of King James is in fact opposing God's blessing toward His Own work", I'm done. Go ahead, worship just one translation out of many, and not the best. As for me, I will continue to read and believe the best translations available, crafted by the best Biblical scholarship, based on the best sources, in my native language.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
So according to the translators there is no justifiable reason why any good-faith translation should not be considered the Word of God, yet KJV-only proponents have denied that any English translation since 1611 is the Word of God. The KJV translators deny that their own translation is perfect (no errors) since perfection is only possible when men are under the direct, supernatural inspiration of the Holy Spirit. In order to prove that good-faith though imperfect translations are still the Word of God, the translators give an example of what they consider to be a translation with numerous defects, yet, in spite of those problems, can still be called the Word of God. (From the Detroit Baptist Theological Seminary article on the KJV)

Upvote 0

biblelesson

Jun 11, 2021
College Park
✟72,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Since you wrote " Anyone who opposes the work of King James is in fact opposing God's blessing toward His Own work", I'm done. Go ahead, worship just one translation out of many, and not the best. As for me, I will continue to read and believe the best translations available, crafted by the best Biblical scholarship, based on the best sources, in my native language.

You continue to use the word "worship." Did you consider the scriptures I listed? What is your native language? Because the King James original translation was in the English language.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
So we must be careful to oppose work that was dedicated to God by a King who God set up. King James made reference to those who would oppose his work in his prayer, so because of that, I would be careful. Anyone who opposes the work of King James is in fact opposing God's blessing toward His Own work.

Scratching my head, so as Greek Orthodox, why would I care what a barbarian King has to say, when I'm still celebrating the Roman Emperor in my services?

Cause our faithful emperors to be glad in Your power, * granting them the victories against their adversaries. * And for an ally, Lord, may they have You, * peace as their armor, the trophy invincible.

Upvote 0

biblelesson

Jun 11, 2021
College Park
✟72,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Scratching my head, so as Greek Orthodox, why would I care what a barbarian King has to say, when I'm still celebrating the Roman Emperor in my services?

Cause our faithful emperors to be glad in Your power, * granting them the victories against their adversaries. * And for an ally, Lord, may they have You, * peace as their armor, the trophy invincible.

I have no idea what you are talking about. Who cares if you chose to disrespect Kings. No positions of authority should be disrespected, Roman Emperor's or Kings. I'm talking about the work done by King James dedicated to God Almighty. The work was a great work, maybe not to benefit you, but to benefit millions for over 400 years to salvation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, I see your point because some people say the Shakespearean language can be difficult, and if it is distracting, then I guess the best thing to do is find a bible that is very close to its translation. However, for me, the language does not cause a problem, and because there have been changes in words and even omissions in some of the newer versions, I stay away from them.

Hi @biblelesson

I'm curious, if you don't know the original languages, as you profess, how do you know that something that is today omitted that the KJV included, should not have been omitted in the KJV in the first place?

In other words, when you come upon a passage that has been omitted in a modern translation, what source document do you use to determine that the inclusion in the KJV is correct?

Similarly with changes, how do you know that the change should not have been made? What source document do you refer to, to 'prove' that the change was not in keeping with an original MSS?

God bless,
Ted

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi again @biblelesson

Finally, and I'm not one to consider that miniscule changes in words or passages, is what God was referring to when he commanded that His word not be changed, how do you know that the KJV isn't the one that 'changed' the word of God?

Are you one to believe that God himself came down from heaven and wrote with His very finger the KJV translation...and then said if you change it you die? I'm curious why you don't understand that the KJV is a translation pretty much just like every other copy of the Scriptures that we have today. Was this something that was trained into you or are you actually able to support your position with evidence of facts?

God bless,
Ted

• Winner
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The fact remains that the Authorized Version of the Bible (called the King James Version) is the one that has more to recommend it than any other version.

But if a person does not have even a high school education and cannot understand parts of the KJV, then he can pick up one of those publications that lists four different versions side by side in parallel columns. Using it, he can easily make a variety of comparisons as he reads along.

But the claims that are often made against the KJV...that it's outdated, cannot be understood, or is not accurate, are not persuasive. There is NO modern language translation that is free of potentially confusing phrases, expressions, or words. There is NO modern language translation that is 100% factually correct and has no "errors in translation'' that might mislead the reader.

The reader gives up much more than he gains by abandoning the KJV for one of those homely translations that were intended for people with an 8th grade or lower reading level.

Last edited:
Upvote 0