MaxR1996

Sep 8, 2015
✟929.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
1j6t51.png

Does someone want to explain how the north star can be stationary in the time lapse if we're supposedly moving through space 1.5 million miles per day? Is the north star just SOOOO much farther away than the other stars that it doesn't move? If so then why do the other stars move and follow a circular pattern in terms of distance? I didn't think that was how the universe was composed, with the stars sequentially getting farther and farther away in a circular pattern, ending with the North Star. All a time lapse does is record whats happening over time, so how can the stars complete a full circle in a matter of hours or days when time lapse was taken?

Upvote 0

ximmix

Feb 14, 2014
Sweden
✟201,141.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Does someone want to explain how the north star can be stationary in the time lapse if we're supposedly moving through space 1.5 million miles per day? Is the north star just SOOOO much farther away than the other stars that it doesn't move? If so then why do the other stars move and follow a circular pattern in terms of distance? I didn't think that was how the universe was composed, with the stars sequentially getting farther and farther away in a circular pattern, ending with the North Star. All a time lapse does is record whats happening over time, so how can the stars complete a full circle in a matter of hours or days when time lapse was taken?

I hope you know that your ignorance doesn't affect reality...

Upvote 0

Astrophile

Aug 30, 2013
England
✟234,084.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Widowed
1j6t51.png

Does someone want to explain how the north star can be stationary in the time lapse if we're supposedly moving through space 1.5 million miles per day?
The distance of the north star, calculated from its parallax, is about 131 parsecs (about 426 light-years), or about 2.5 quadrillion miles (2.5×10^15 miles). At a speed of 1.5 million miles a day, the Earth would take 4½ million years to travel that distance.
Is the north star just SOOOO much farther away than the other stars that it doesn't move?
No.
If so then why do the other stars move and follow a circular pattern in terms of distance?
The apparent diurnal movement of the stars from east to west is not real; it is the result of the spherical Earth's rotation from west to east. The north star remains stationary because the Earth's axis of rotation points almost exactly towards it. If you look at the picture, you will see that all the stars, regardless of their distance from the north star, cover the same proportion of a circle.
I didn't think that was how the universe was composed, with the stars sequentially getting farther and farther away in a circular pattern, ending with the North Star.
No, the universe isn't composed that way. The stars are distributed more or less at random through space.
All a time lapse does is record what's happening over time, so how can the stars complete a full circle in a matter of hours or days when time lapse was taken?
As I have just explained, a time-lapse photograph of the stars records the rotation of the Earth, not the movement of the stars. The stars appear to complete a full circle in one day, because that is the period of the Earth's rotation.

Reactions: Wgw
Upvote 0

wndwalkr99

I'd change my mind
Jun 22, 2013
Nebraska
✟13,677.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
No. People joke about this because they consider your beliefs absurd and have never even considered the notion that the earth is flat. I think that all your threads about the earth being flat need to get moved to the "conspiracy theory" subforum, this is getting ridiculous and is presenting Christianity as something of a joke. This is the reason why atheists mock Christians, it's because of the nonsense that people like you say.

This is not *why* atheists mock Christians. It just makes it SO much easier and isn't even a fair fight. I hate seeing this kind of thing because I like to have discussions wherein we discuss some things that at least COULD be true. This is ridiculous and almost embarrassing to read.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
This is not *why* atheists mock Christians. It just makes it SO much easier and isn't even a fair fight. I hate seeing this kind of thing because I like to have discussions wherein we discuss some things that at least COULD be true. This is ridiculous and almost embarrassing to read.

Hey, how is this issue related to Christianity? Are you simply talking about science (astronomy 101?). There is a bunch of Christians as well as atheists sit in my class where all of them know nearly nothing about plate tectonics. Is that an embarrassing situation?

Do you want to be in a similar embarrassing situation? I certainly can let you taste it. It would be some scientific issues related to the Bible. Sounds attractive?

Upvote 0

wndwalkr99

I'd change my mind
Jun 22, 2013
Nebraska
✟13,677.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Hey, how is this issue related to Christianity? Are you simply talking about science (astronomy 101?). There is a bunch of Christians as well as atheists sit in my class where all of them know nearly nothing about plate tectonics. Is that an embarrassing situation?

Do you want to be in a similar embarrassing situation? I certainly can let you taste it. It would be some scientific issues related to the Bible. Sounds attractive?

The prior poster posted a comment about how flat-earth proponents are the reason why Christians are mocked. I disagreed on a technical point, saying just that it makes an easy target. I did not imply that all Christians believe that the earth is flat, nor did I imply that all people who believe the earth is flat are Christians.

What kind of class do you teach?

I'm baffled by your sudden hostility.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The prior poster posted a comment about how flat-earth proponents are the reason why Christians are mocked. I disagreed on a technical point, saying just that it makes an easy target. I did not imply that all Christians believe that the earth is flat, nor did I imply that all people who believe the earth is flat are Christians.

What kind of class do you teach?

I'm baffled by your sudden hostility.

Thanks for the explanation, and no hostility at all. Just my professional habit of academic challenging. I am sorry if it sounds hostile.

Upvote 0

wndwalkr99

I'd change my mind
Jun 22, 2013
Nebraska
✟13,677.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Thanks for the explanation, and no hostility at all. Just my professional habit of academic challenging. I am sorry if it sounds hostile.

You are a professional? Okay. This makes me even more curious about what class you're teaching.

What particular issue did you have your dukes up about, and which position were you expecting me to defend?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MerlinJ

Feb 11, 2014
✟9,268.00
Faith
Atheist
The stars do move, but it's certainly not something you'd see in an image taken overnight. It's got nothing to do with the relative distance of stars though. That sort photo is created by letting the camera capture the starlight over a number of hours, as the planet rotates about its axis. You can get different effects depending on where you are and where you point it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_trail

Upvote 0