Challenge for...well...anyone.

46AND2

Forty six and two are just ahead of me...
Sep 5, 2012
Vancouver, WA
✟102,103.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So...I have been recently reading about some flat earth ideas, out of curiosity. My challenge is for somebody to come up with a coherent, logical chain of events which show that we would not, presently, have the ability to discuss such matters on an internet, with computers, and all that technology, UNLESS we know that the earth is round.

I think it can be done, but possess not the expertise to make it happen.

I will be ultra critical of all attempts.

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
So...I have been recently reading about some flat earth ideas, out of curiosity. My challenge is for somebody to come up with a coherent, logical chain of events which show that we would not, presently, have the ability to discuss such matters on an internet, with computers, and all that technology, UNLESS we know that the earth is round.

I think it can be done, but possess not the expertise to make it happen.

I will be ultra critical of all attempts.
The earth is round?

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,263.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,216.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm sorry, 46.

I don't understand it either.

If my memory serves me correctly, VDTs became CRTs became CONSOLES became WORKSTATIONS became MONITORS became FLAT PANELS became LAPT...

Oh, wait!

You said FLAT EARTH ... not FLAT PANEL!

Nevermind! :eek:

Upvote 0

46AND2

Sep 5, 2012
Vancouver, WA
✟102,103.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If you're going to be "ultra critical" about your challenge, I should be allowed to be "ultra critical" about your inability to coherently explain it.

Indeed. Why not try to understand what I'm asking, perhaps offering an alternative wording?

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,263.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Indeed. Why not try to understand what I'm asking, perhaps offering an alternative wording?
I couldn't offer an alternative wording until I understand it. Maybe you could rephrase it?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

46AND2

Sep 5, 2012
Vancouver, WA
✟102,103.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Perhaps someone should explain what you don't understand? I mean, the point is: the earth is round. We have technology and internet. Is there a way to show that such advances (in technology) would not be possible if the earth was flat?

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Perhaps someone should explain what you don't understand? I mean, the point is: the earth is round. We have technology and internet. Is there a way to show that such advances (in technology) would not be possible if the earth was flat?

A lot of technology is based on our understanding of physics and flat Earthers appear to eschew that same physics. Therefore, flat Earthers would have to reinvent physics from the ground up and technology based on said new physics.

Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟251,078.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I doubt it. I see no particular reason why a flat earth woukd make the internet impossible. We could still have workdwide communications, although the technology woukd be quite different.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟251,078.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
A lot of technology is based on our understanding of physics and flat Earthers appear to eschew that same physics. Therefore, flat Earthers would have to reinvent physics from the ground up and technology based on said new physics.
Isn’t the point that it IF the earth actually were flat, this would not be an insurmountable roadblock for developing the internet. Its a strange question, IMO.

Upvote 0

46AND2

Sep 5, 2012
Vancouver, WA
✟102,103.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Indeed, I would agree. I want to establish a chain of observations which refute said reinvention.

Upvote 0

46AND2

Sep 5, 2012
Vancouver, WA
✟102,103.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I doubt it. I see no particular reason why a flat earth woukd make the internet impossible. We could still have workdwide communications, although the technology woukd be quite different.

Different how? I mean....you started your whole post with "things wouldn't be different" (paraphrase) except, you said, that it would.

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Isn’t the point that it IF the earth actually were flat, this would not be an insurmountable roadblock for developing the internet. Its a strange question, IMO.

No, it certainly wouldn't otherwise prevent something like the a computer network from existing. Although the underyling physics of the universe would be different in a flat-Earth scenario, so who knows what that would look like.

And certainly telecommunication technologies (e.g. satellites) flat Earthers don't even believe exist in the first place.

Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟251,078.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Different how? I mean....you started your whole post with "things wouldn't be different" (paraphrase) except, you said, that it would.
All I am saying is that if the earth were in fact flat - which I think is a possible state of affairs - the worldwide communications needed for the internet could still be implemented, even if not by satellites orbiting a spherical earth. Is that clear?

Upvote 0