Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Now don't put any personal judgment on me for this, lol. We are all adults and it is something I have always wondered about.
If you are celibate does that exclude masturbation?

Phronema

Orthodox Christian
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2016
Florida Panhandle
✟739,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
No, because if you are celibate you are trying to achieve sexual purity. In addition, depending on who you ask it's considered a sin as well.

Upvote 0

Phronema

Orthodox Christian
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2016
Florida Panhandle
✟739,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
In most sects of Christianity masturbation is considered sinful so yes, celibacy would also imply no masturbating.

Agreed on it being sinful. I don't venture out of TAW often, so I was trying to keep it low key, and not offend :)

Upvote 0

MariaJLM

Crazy Cat Lady
Aug 1, 2018
Calgary
✟50,815.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
CA-Others
Agreed on it being sinful. I don't venture out of TAW often, so I was trying to keep it low key, and not offend :)

lol, best that they hear it directly from an actual celibate anyway xP

Reactions: Phronema
Upvote 0

Markie Boy

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2017
United States
✟402,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes - I think it's sinful for anyone, celibate or married. I don't think that is something that one can do for the glory of God - and we are supposed to do all for His glory.

Upvote 0

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Yes, masturbation is a sin. It is a way of satisfying one's sexual lusts outside of marriage. I personally don't believe that anyone could be considered celibate in God's eyes if they were regularly masturbating, or were struggling without gaining control over it by the Spirit.

"But if they cannot control themselves, they should marry, for it is better to marry than to burn with passion." 1 Corinthians 7:9

This is something that everyone should consider when deciding to become celibate. Can they stay pure before God outside of a Godly marriage?

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Not every Christian believes that masturbation (without lust) is a sin. Even babies touch.

My only question is if your libido is so high that you often feel the need to touch, are you sure that you have the spiritual gift of celibacy? I would expect the libido of such to be more negligible.

Paul's criteria in 1 Corinthians 7 is,

"...if they cannot exercise self-control, let them marry. For it is better to marry than to burn with passion." [verse 9]
It is better not to touch. One who masturbates is more likely perverted as masturbation is a form of lust. Lust and masturbation led people to thoughts of fornication, adultery and homosexuality. Bad thinking led to bad actions. That resulted in abandoned or unwanted children, single parent families and the spread of sexually transmitted diseases. It is best to stop the masturbation before it leads to worse things such as groping, molestation, sexual assault and rape. Such things led to prison and death.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟959,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You don't have to lust after anybody to get urges or want to touch.
That has been my point all along, and why masturbation without lust does not equate to adultery, fornication nor loss of virginity/purity.

Jesus said that it was lust that equaled adultery in one's heart.

Upvote 0

MariaJLM

Crazy Cat Lady
Aug 1, 2018
Calgary
✟50,815.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
CA-Others
That has been my point all along, and why masturbation without lust does not equate to adultery, fornication nor loss of virginity/purity.

Jesus said that it was lust that equaled adultery in one's heart.

Well you're wrong. It's still considered sinful since it's gratification of self in that case.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟959,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's still considered sinful since it's gratification of self in that case.
That criticism is extra-Biblical. Scratching an itch is also self-gratifying.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,178,527.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
That criticism is extra-Biblical. Scratching an itch is also self-gratifying.
Scratching an itch does not bring on an [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse].

• Agree
Reactions: MariaJLM
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟959,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Scratching an itch does not bring on an [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse].
But wet dreams and, sometimes, breastfeeding can. [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] attained by guiltless means are not condemned in Scripture.

Last edited:
Reactions: dayhiker
Upvote 0

MariaJLM

Crazy Cat Lady
Aug 1, 2018
Calgary
✟50,815.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
CA-Others
But wet dreams and, sometimes, breastfeeding can. [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] attained by guiltless means are not condemned in Scripture.

Masturbation serves little purpose except for personal pleasure. Things like breastfeeding actually have a practical purpose so I don't think you can compare the two.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟959,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic