• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Celebrate Recovery

If Not For Grace

Legend-but then so's Keith Richards
Feb 4, 2005
Curtis Loew's House w/Kid Rock & Hank III
Visit site
✟46,998.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Knowing that we are not alone in any situation. That others have had our same feelings (positive and negative) shared our same struggles and had victories is a priceless feeling.

I recently moved to a rural Southern town (to help care for my elderly Father with Alzheimer's & Parkinson's) and was an avid 12-Step group member in the city where I was living and working. Only CR is available in the small town and I have recently started attending.

I am going through an adjustment period (as all change requires) in adjusting to the different meeting format, in addition to the "small town" way of handling things. I must admit I am surprised to find it such a different experience than what I am accustomed to, especially since I have traveled and attended meetings in various geographic areas as a visitor--but with CR the whole dynamic seems different

Is the CR group you attend sponsored by your church or are you attending meetings sponsored by another church group?

Upvote 0

If Not For Grace

Feb 4, 2005
Visit site
✟46,998.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Pure4u2: Do you prefer to keep your recovery and church groups separate? Or does it matter? --I am leaning toward that idea. I am "shopping" for a church to attend since I moved. I had 1st thought about attending where CR is offered, but in a small town..I am leery of that idea.

I belong to an on-line CR group..in addition to several 12-step groups, I full well admit so far I prefer the 12-step groups (F2F & on Line) to the CR ones..another area of surprise for me..

Upvote 0

pure4u2

Jun 11, 2014
Canada
✟17,549.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
If Not For Grace said:
Pure4u2: Do you prefer to keep your recovery and church groups separate? Or does it matter? --I am leaning toward that idea. I am "shopping" for a church to attend since I moved. I had 1st thought about attending where CR is offered, but in a small town..I am leery of that idea.

I think both, I use to go to the church where i go to the CR program and they don't treat me different. It actually helped because they would keep me accountable. The church I go to I am very open with my struggles and older Christians help me to see how I want to grow in my relationship with God. Maybe check out the church where the CR is and try it out for maybe a month and if it is uncomfortable or for some reason don't like it. Try and find a place that will spiritually feed you and lift you up. Keep me posted, pm me if you want !

Upvote 0

If Not For Grace

Feb 4, 2005
Visit site
✟46,998.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I am just living in a very clannish small town and the people seem easily offended by "outsiders", I fear my views are a bit liberal for them and IF you offend them in chruch it may carry over to CR or vice versa

Just not a risk I want to take-Don't want to loose BOTH at once-yeah that may be projection on my part, but for some reason I feel confident saying that :(

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums