Celeberties

Blindfaith

God's Tornado
Feb 9, 2002
Home of the Slug
✟7,755.00
Faith
Non-Denom

Hey Bear!  This is the first time today I've been on the boards, so I'm a little behind here (like say, 2 pages worth?).

The funniest thing I heard, and I wish I could remember what news program I heard it on, but it was when a group of celebs were spoutin' off about Iraq.  One of the reporters wanted Martin Sheen's opinion on something, and he said, "Mr. President!  blah blah blah...".  I have to question the intelligence of that reporter.

Martin Sheen responded that he only played a President.  I think that sometimes the actors who have their multi-million dollar mansions, private jets and foo-foo clubs forget that they aren't running the country.

I could care less what their stance is on politics.  I don't even care if they create a protest ~ that's their right, like every other US citizen's.  What I do have a problem with, is for someone like Sean Penn (for heaven's sake) going over to Iraq and giving support to a dictator.  What's up with that?  Now, Saddam Hussein is congratulating the Hollywood set for discouraging President Bush/war with Iraq.  How nice.

The Hollywood folk that are speaking out are democratic/left supporters (which is fine).  Democrats have long said that they are the compassionate group for the common everyday person.  That's great.  Where's the compassion for the 25 million people in Iraq that are starving and terrorized?  Why didn't Sean Penn actually make himself useful (for a change), and be that compassionate democratic supporter and help the civilians there rather than schmooze up to a tyrrant?

RAR!

Does that answer your question about how I feel about this Bear?  ;) :wave:

Upvote 0

Angel75

Sep 28, 2002
✟805.00
Originally posted by Cammie
So, we should let every uneducated ******* spout of his or her political views on TV??? I hardly think that is appropriate. It's the same thing with celebrities. Stars or not, a lot of times they don't know what they're talking about when they get on TV about politics and run their mouths...and that creates problems.

you are a piece of work cammie. and who do you suggest should monitor and regulate what celebrity gets to speak and about what? Maybe we should keep your views off of this forum.  I am only making a point mind you, I apologize if I am breaking and forum rules

Upvote 0

TheBear

NON-WOKED
Jan 2, 2002
✟304,171.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Originally posted by blindfaith
Hey Bear!  This is the first time today I've been on the boards, so I'm a little behind here (like say, 2 pages worth?).

The funniest thing I heard, and I wish I could remember what news program I heard it on, but it was when a group of celebs were spoutin' off about Iraq.  One of the reporters wanted Martin Sheen's opinion on something, and he said, "Mr. President!  blah blah blah...".  I have to question the intelligence of that reporter.

Martin Sheen responded that he only played a President.  I think that sometimes the actors who have their multi-million dollar mansions, private jets and foo-foo clubs forget that they aren't running the country.

I could care less what their stance is on politics.  I don't even care if they create a protest ~ that's their right, like every other US citizen's.  What I do have a problem with, is for someone like Sean Penn (for heaven's sake) going over to Iraq and giving support to a dictator.  What's up with that?  Now, Saddam Hussein is congratulating the Hollywood set for discouraging President Bush/war with Iraq.  How nice.

The Hollywood folk that are speaking out are democratic/left supporters (which is fine).  Democrats have long said that they are the compassionate group for the common everyday person.  That's great.  Where's the compassion for the 25 million people in Iraq that are starving and terrorized?  Why didn't Sean Penn actually make himself useful (for a change), and be that compassionate democratic supporter and help the civilians there rather than schmooze up to a tyrrant?

RAR!

Does that answer your question about how I feel about this Bear?  ;) :wave:

You are not making your point clear enough. Stop sugar-coating things. :D

I don't think anyone's opinions should be squelched. And where is the playing field leveled to where all have an equal say? --- at the voting booth. A celebrety's vote counts just the same as anyone else's.

So, it boils down to a well informed descision on how to vote. And, this is the crux of the matter, when it comes to celeberties using their acting or music popularity, (clout), to influence votes on an issue.

Interestingly, many of the people who are all for getting special interest groups and money out of politics, have absolutely no problem with multi-millionaire celebreties championing an issue, with any and all media at their disposal. The terms 'fair and balanced' and 'equal time' elude them.

I'll get back to this thread in a bit.

Upvote 0

IslandBreeze

Caribbean Queen
Sep 2, 2002
✟18,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Originally posted by Angel75
you are a piece of work cammie. and who do you suggest should monitor and regulate what celebrity gets to speak and about what? Maybe we should keep your views off of this forum.  I am only making a point mind you, I apologize if I am breaking and forum rules

I don't know if you're breaking forum rules, but you certainly are being rude. Why should I not get the choice who I listen to on TV? Why is it only celebrities get FREE air time to spout of uneducated bunk? The TV stations who ALLOW these people on are the ones who should monitor what is said on air. One celebrity on an MSNBC news show said G*d d*** and NOTHING was said. NO apology, nothing. All because they were so passionate about their viewpoint (which the host eventually corrected him on because he was completely inaccurate). I'm glad everybody but me gets to speak their opinion without being insulted.

Upvote 0

coastie

Hallelujah Adonai Yeshua!
Apr 6, 2002
Central Valley of CA
Visit site
✟8,286.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
mod hat on... unfortunately :(

Let's not belittle each other. Everyone is free to express their points of view here, as long as they jive with the forum rules.

And that includes points of view that you disagree with.

Let's all give each other a big hug now, ok?

mod hat off

you little buddy,

Zach

Upvote 0

Blindfaith

God's Tornado
Feb 9, 2002
Home of the Slug
✟7,755.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I liked this Bear;

You are not making your point clear enough. Stop sugar-coating things.

Yep, that's me!!  I'm such a quiet mousy type of person :rolleyes: hehe.

Anyway, I also liked this about your post;

I don't think anyone's opinions should be squelched. And where is the playing field leveled to where all have an equal say? --- at the voting booth.

I couldn't agree with you more!  I'm not sure how many times I've posted here at N&CE to those who cannot stand President Bush;  "if you don't like him, don't vote for him next time around".  It can't be simpler.

But here's my problem when it comes to celebrities;  they're given an "idol" type reputation, which makes it very easy for them to schmooze their way into the media/politic forum.  If I was as popular as some of them, I'm sure I'd be out there on the media circuit supporting President Bush instead of taking vacation time in Baghdad (*ugh*).

I have no problem, as I said before, with anyone forming a protest.  But I do have a problem with those who are in the limelight embarassing me, as a citizen of the United States for being an idiot kissing up to Hussein.  Gimmee a break.

Now, do you want me to tell you how I really feel?  ;)

Upvote 0

wildernesse

Use less and live more.
Jun 17, 2002
Georgia
Visit site
✟16,673.00

Why should I not get the choice who I listen to on TV?

You do--it's called a remote!  Sorry, couldn't resist being a smart alek.:)

Why is it only celebrities get FREE air time to spout of uneducated bunk?

They make the TV stations a lot of money because those peoples' adoring fans watch and sop up all the advertising.  That's why they get air time.

What no one is addressing is WHO makes these people celebrities?  They don't occur in a vacuum.  The public endorses them--by watching their movies and listening to their music.  As citizens, they have the right to express their views on political issues whether educated or not.

You don't have to listen to them--or give them any credit.  But you can't restrict their right to express themselves.

I'm glad everybody but me gets to speak their opinion without being insulted.

I hope you don't take my remote comment as an insult--it's not meant as such.  There's nothing wrong with attacking arguments, but attacking the people who hold differing views (or even wrong views) is wrong.

--tibac

Edited because I just realized my last sentence made no sense--I should probably only post when I'm fully awake to avoid garbling my words like that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Angel75

Sep 28, 2002
✟805.00

I don't know if you're breaking forum rules, but you certainly are being rude. Why should I not get the choice who I listen to on TV? Why is it only celebrities get FREE air time to spout of uneducated bunk? The TV stations who ALLOW these people on are the ones who should monitor what is said on air. One celebrity on an MSNBC news show said G*d d*** and NOTHING was said. NO apology, nothing. All because they were so passionate about their viewpoint (which the host eventually corrected him on because he was completely inaccurate). I'm glad everybody but me gets to speak their opinion without being insulted.

Well wildernesse already has stated and I will say again... Turn it off if you don't like it. The Television stations are allowed to put whoever the heck they want on tv. What you consider offensive really just plain does not matter. If you really don't like it, make your voice heard. Call the stations, get petitions signed. You have the right to do that, just as they have a right to put whoever they darn well please on their show.

As for the cussing used, that is another topic  :)

My point to you is this. Who are you to say what they have to say is wrong. 

*im glad everybody but me gets to speak their opinion without being insulted*

I found this quite entertaining! It is my point exactly. you can say whatever the heck you want cammie. as can those who get free time on-air due to their celebrity status. 

Upvote 0