Missionary
Aug 31, 2009
Visit site
✟15,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
First, my perspective from a different angle, and then what does Scripture say?

I am going to visit my boss at home, to ask a favour. If I knock on the door of his house, and his mother answers, what should I do?

a) Brush past her and ignore her completely?
b) Say a curt greeting and then walk right on in?
c) Politely ask her to go see if he will come speak with me?

I imagine any sensible person picked c). Even if my boss is known to be a hard man, I might even score a couple points by being very kind and respectful to his mother. If I do this, does it mean that I am now working for my boss's mother? If she sends me on an errand for her and promises to butter up my boss for me, does THAT mean I am now working for my boss's mother, or that I am no longer working for my boss?

I am going to visit the king of the land, to plead my case. He is known for bestowing his abundant favour on his friends and for treating very harshly his enemies, and as of yet, I do not know for sure which way he will look at me; am I his friend or his foe? Crossing the courtyard, I see his mother in the way. How can I enhance my chance of being well received by the king?

a) Take my chances on my own, and rely on my own merit and charming personality?
b) Tell the kings mother that she has no authority and no power and that her son the king doesn't need her, so she should just buzz of?
c) Take this rare and fortunate opportunity to show her respect and reverence, and ask her to put in a good word with me for the king?

If I pick a) I am being prideful and should not be surprised if the king turns me away, or worse yet, chastises me for wasting his time.

If I pick b) I should rightly EXPECT chastisement from the king, who loves his mother dearly.

If I am smart, and pick c) does this mean that I am now pledging allegiance to the king's mother, and withdrawing it from the king? What if the king's mother asks me to do something in return for putting in a good word, does this mean that I have committed treason against the king?

I am seeking to win favour with God, the Creator of the world, who has condescended in His great mercy to be born of a virgin in time. I also know that I am infinitely less than He, being made of nothing, and that I have already offended Him more times than I can count. When I think on this my heart is broken within me, all my bones tremble, at the presence of the LORD, and at the presence of his holy words.

My courage falters even more as I remember the intended fate of the unfaithful people Israel that is related by Moses.

"The LORD said to me: I see that this people is stiffnecked: Let me alone that I may destroy them, and abolish their name from under heaven, and set thee over a nation, that is greater and stronger than this."

But Moses, who already had favour with God pleaded with Him.

"And when I came down from the burning mount, and held the two tables of the covenant with both hands, and saw that you had sinned against the LORD your God, and had made to yourselves a molten calf, and had quickly forsaken his way, which He had shewn you: I cast the tables out of my hands, and broke them in your sight. And I fell down before the LORD as before, forty days and nights neither eating bread, nor drinking water, for all your sins, which you had committed against the LORD, and had provoked Him to wrath: For I feared His indignation and anger, wherewith being moved against you, He would have destroyed you. And the LORD heard me this time also. And He was exceeding angry against Aaron also, and would have destroyed him, and I prayed in like manner for him."

An entire nation saved by the prayer of Moses! Oh if I could only ask Moses to pray for me! If only he were not dead!

At this thought, my conscience rebukes me sharply, bringing to mind the words of the Saviour, Christ Himself.

"And concerning the resurrection of the dead, have you not read that which was spoken by God, saying to you: I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob? He is not the God of the dead, but of the living."

Then... Moses lives! I may certainly ask for him to pray for me to the LORD our God! He interceded so willingly for an entire nation, which had offended God so grievously, and on account of his prayers they were spared from destruction!

By now my conscience tells me: "Fear not: your God, and the God of your father hath given you treasure."

What treasure is this? What treasure can give me, such a wretched sinner, greater courage to approach the LORD sitting on His throne, and all the army of heaven standing by Him, than to ask for the prayers of Moses?

"When Jesus therefore had seen his mother and the disciple standing whom he loved, he saith to his mother: Woman, behold thy son. After that, he saith to the disciple: Behold thy mother. And from that hour, the disciple took her to his own."

The Apostle St. John took Jesus' mother for his own! Of course! Who better to help us go to God, than she, by whom He chose to come to us! And should we not imitate St. John and take her for our own mother? The Apostle St. Paul says we should.

"That we might give ourselves a pattern unto you, to imitate us."

It is clear. The mother of the living God, the Blessed Virgin Mary was chosen out of all the creatures of God for the greatest honour of all, that of raising and caring for God Himself, made flesh. There is therefore, no creature who merits higher favour than Mary, who is indeed living in heaven, with her Divine Son.

Blessed Mary, ever a virgin, be thou my mediator (of intercession, as Moses was for the Israelites) with the one mediator (of redemption) between God and man, polish my virtues, remove whatever there is of me that is displeasing to thy Son, as only thou art able, and may the LORD accept my humble offerings and prayers at thy immaculate hands. Amen.

Bouke285

It's not a sin to be wrong, but be wrong humbly!
Jul 3, 2008
Minnesota
Visit site
✟7,993.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
"That we might give ourselves a pattern unto you, to imitate us."

It is clear. The mother of the living God, the Blessed Virgin Mary was chosen out of all the creatures of God for the greatest honour of all, that of raising and caring for God Himself, made flesh. There is therefore, no creature who merits higher favour than Mary, who is indeed living in heaven, with her Divine Son.

Blessed Mary, ever a virgin, be thou my mediator (of intercession, as Moses was for the Israelites) with the one mediator (of redemption) between God and man, polish my virtues, remove whatever there is of me that is displeasing to thy Son, as only thou art able, and may the LORD accept my humble offerings and prayers at thy immaculate hands. Amen.

What about those who were chosen and tortured for Jesus? Those who lost their heads starved in cells for Jesus? Those who had their baby kids killed for Jesus?

Jesus is the mediator, the only mediator. No one shall come to the Father but by Me. Not by Mary.

Upvote 0

BobW188

Growling Maverick
Jul 19, 2008
Southern Minnesota
✟10,103.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I think we Prots would say it isn't the Mother who answers the door. In fact, the Boss and His Boy have the ultimate "Our Door is Always Open" policy.

I think anyone who knows the story of the Annunciation and Nativity gives Mary high respect. Her name wasn't drawn out of a hat. We just don't see her as a necessary intercessor.

Upvote 0

fm107

Psalm 19:1-4 and Romans 1:20
May 12, 2009
London, UK
✟61,600.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Well said Bouke.

Catholics view on this is fundamentally wrong.

Mary is a highly blessed, holy woman in scripture, NOT the mediator!

1 Timothy 2:5
For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus,

............................................................................................

You do not get in God's favour by pleasing his mother. You get in his favour by obeying his commandments.

John 14:15
"If you love me, you will obey what I command.

Proverbs 12:2
A good man obtains favour from the LORD, but the LORD condemns a crafty man.

Proverbs 3:3-4
Let love and faithfulness never leave you;
bind them around your neck,
write them on the tablet of your heart.
Then you will win favour and a good name
in the sight of God and man.

.............................................................................................

You made reference to this scripture:

John 19:27
and to the disciple, "Here is your mother." From that time on, this disciple took her into his home.

This was Jesus giving John responsibility to look after and care for Jesus’ mother.

Upvote 0