Status
Not open for further replies.

kierkegaard214

Apr 25, 2005
San Diego
✟15,321.00
Faith
Methodist
I know Catholics are urged to attend Mass every sunday, so what do Catholics think about Protestants who don't go to their servicce every sunday? Or not going to the Catholic Mass every sunday?

Also, is it true that Catholics aren't allowed to participate in Protestant Communion even if they are allowed by the Protestant Church?

CrystalBrooke

I'm almost positive I don't care what you think
Jun 16, 2004
Tennessee
Visit site
✟19,777.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
there's no point in taking communion with Protestants bc Protestants view it as symbolic and we believe it to be the real presence. as far as not going to mass or church every sunday, that's between them and God.

Upvote 0

U R my Sonshine

I have a baguette, and I am not afraid to use it.
Apr 7, 2005
✟9,695.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hey guys, let's try to not turn this into a Catholic Vs. Protestant all out, shall we?

That stuff is wearing many of us very thin here at CF and it would be great if we could refrain from disparaging each other this time.

(just saying it 'before' it happens) ;)

Upvote 0

InnerPhyre

Nov 13, 2003
✟71,967.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
We have no opinion as to how often Protestants must go to church. We must go to mass on Sunday. The mass is what fuels Catholics. It's our source of spiritual refreshment. To decide not to go is to reject the graces that we receive there. You don't have to go obviously if you're ill or have no way of getting there, but if you are able to go, you must.

As for communion, yes we are forbidden from sharing communion in a Protestant church. To share communion means to be IN communion with that church and obviously we are not in communion with Protestant churches and have various disagreements, so it would not be appropriate. Furthermore, we believe that our Eucharist is truly the Body and Blood of Christ, so why would we go elsewhere?

Upvote 0

ps139

Ab omni malo, libera nos, Domine!
Sep 23, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
✟30,407.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I know Catholics are urged to attend Mass every sunday, so what do Catholics think about Protestants who don't go to their servicce every sunday? Or not going to the Catholic Mass every sunday?
I think everyone should go to church on Sunday, regardless of denomination.

Also, is it true that Catholics aren't allowed to participate in Protestant Communion even if they are allowed by the Protestant Church?
Yes, this is true, for 2 reasons:

1. We believe much different things about Communion than most Protestants. So for us, Protestant Communion is a totally different thing than what we do at Mass.
2. We are not in communion with Protestant churches, we are "separated brethren," and to pretend we have a communion that doesn't really exist - that's not honest.

Upvote 0

kierkegaard214

Apr 25, 2005
San Diego
✟15,321.00
Faith
Methodist
I agree that to protestants and Catholics communion is very different. But aren't we all borhters and sisters in Christ? So would it really matter if a Catholic did take teh communion, I really don't see the harm, even if it isn't the body and blood of christ would it hurt to take somehting symbolic?

Upvote 0

U R my Sonshine

Apr 7, 2005
✟9,695.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
kierkegaard214 said:
I agree that to protestants and Catholics communion is very different. But aren't we all borhters and sisters in Christ? So would it really matter if a Catholic did take teh communion, I really don't see the harm, even if it isn't the body and blood of christ would it hurt to take somehting symbolic?

Catholics believe it is actually partaking of Christs real flesh and blood while Protestants believe we are "doing this in rememberance of Him" and not actually having the bread and juice/wine turned into flesh and blood.

I am with you on the 'we are all one in Christ thing'....but to hear the opinions of most it is akin to cheating on ones spouse to take communion in a Catholic church if your protestant and vice versa. Because we are "not in communion" with that church. (though we could be if we'd just drop the bigotry, ON BOTH SIDES. imo) Anyhoo...I want to be in communion with Christ first and formost.... it is not absolutely needed for me to be in communion with the person beside me....but whatever.

Until comming to CF I had no idea the attitudes Catholics held about protestants and vice versa. I refuse to participate in the bigotry. Either way. Christ tells us to love our enemies, so even if some don't like me because I am protestant or choose to focus on the seperatism...I will keep praying for them and loving them. (Most people are not bigots like this but it is definatley a faction here, occasionally) I have heard awful things said to Catholics and awful things have been said to me and fellow protestants. Just the way it is, unfortunately.:( Unfortunately a lot of ugliness can be "justified " with "we believe______________"

Upvote 0

ps139

Ab omni malo, libera nos, Domine!
Sep 23, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
✟30,407.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
kierkegaard214 said:

Here is what the CC teaches:

The Eucharist and the unity of Christians. Before the greatness of this mystery St. Augustine exclaims, "O sacrament of devotion! O sign of unity! O bond of charity!" The more painful the experience of the divisions in the Church which break the common participation in the table of the Lord, the more urgent are our prayers to the Lord that the time of complete unity among all who believe in him may return.

Ecclesial communities derived from the Reformation and separated from the Catholic Church, "have not preserved the proper reality of the Eucharistic mystery in its fullness, especially because of the absence of the sacrament of Holy Orders." It is for this reason that, for the Catholic Church, Eucharistic intercommunion with these communities is not possible. However these ecclesial communities, "when they commemorate the Lord's death and resurrection in the Holy Supper . . . profess that it signifies life in communion with Christ and await his coming in glory."

http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc/p2s2c1a3.htm#1398

We can worship, pray, dance and sing with non-Catholics - but for us to receive Communion, we feel it would be false, because the reality is we are divided, man has splintered the Church.

Upvote 0

InnerPhyre

Nov 13, 2003
✟71,967.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Again, from your perspective that would be fine, but we cannot allow just anyone to approach the chalice and drink judgment on himself. In order to partake worthily of the Eucharist, you must be in a state of grace, having taken part in sacramental confession. Since Protestants do not do this, we cannot allow you to receive.

Again, the problem is partly the Catholic mindset vs. the Protestant mindset. We have no reason to receive communion anywhere else because anywhere else it is not the Body and Blood of Christ (except in Orthodox Churches). Also, for a Catholic to receive communion in a Protestant Church, it would be an endorsement of that church and we cannot endorse a church that we believe teaches falsities. I don't mean to sound harsh, but this is just the reality of the situtation. We believe that Catholicism is the essence of Christianity and we cannot share communion with those whose beliefs differ so greatly from what we believe. We can say nice things like "We're all united in Christ" but that's just not true. We are separated from one another because some men broke communion a long time ago and started their own churches. Our beliefs are extremely different, and until those beliefs are reconciled, we cannot share communion. We can pray together. We can go to each others churches, but we can't commune.

Upvote 0

U R my Sonshine

Apr 7, 2005
✟9,695.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
InnerPhyre said:
Again, from your perspective that would be fine, but we cannot allow just anyone to approach the chalice and drink judgment on himself. In order to partake worthily of the Eucharist, you must be in a state of grace, having taken part in sacramental confession. Since Protestants do not do this, we cannot allow you to receive.

Again, the problem is partly the Catholic mindset vs. the Protestant mindset. We have no reason to receive communion anywhere else because anywhere else it is not the Body and Blood of Christ (except in Orthodox Churches). Also, for a Catholic to receive communion in a Protestant Church, it would be an endorsement of that church and we cannot endorse a church that we believe teaches falsities. I don't mean to sound harsh, but this is just the reality of the situtation. We believe that Catholicism is the essence of Christianity and we cannot share communion with those whose beliefs differ so greatly from what we believe. We can say nice things like "We're all united in Christ" but that's just not true. We are separated from one another because some men broke communion a long time ago and started their own churches. Our beliefs are extremely different, and until those beliefs are reconciled, we cannot share communion. We can pray together. We can go to each others churches, but we can't commune.

That is the beautiful thing about my Church....(yes protestant) "WE" aren't the ones that "allow", yet God does allow all to come and partake of the rememberance of His sacrifice.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

kierkegaard214

Apr 25, 2005
San Diego
✟15,321.00
Faith
Methodist
U R my Sonshine said:
That is the beautiful thing about my Church....(yes protestant) "WE" aren't the ones that "allow", yet God does allow all to come and partake of the rememberance of His sacrifice.

Exactly, who are we to decide who recieves God? That is up to Him and Him alone in my opinion. And for all a priest knows, couldn't a Catholic not be in a state of grace? Couldn't they have just made up some confession, then the priest would think they are in a state of grace and offer them the Eucharist. But then a Protestant who is a very good Christian wishes to participate with their brothers and sisters in Christ, but is refused because they aren't part of the club?

It just seems wrong to me that the Catholic Church is the final authority on who recieves God or not.

Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
CrystalBrooke said:
there's no point in taking communion with Protestants bc Protestants view it as symbolic and we believe it to be the real presence. as far as not going to mass or church every sunday, that's between them and God.

With all due respect, this is wrong.

If (and this is a big if) you want to call us Anglicans, "Protestants," then you need to know that we reject a symbolic belief entirely. We believe in the True Presence of Christ, Him physically and spiritually, in Holy Communion. Some of us are even transubstantiationists, like I am. Most of us have a belief similar to that of the Eastern Orthodox, leaving it as a complete Mystery, though agreeing it is a True Presence. Others are consubstantiationists.

Lutherans are either like the EOs or are consubstantiationists too.

Wesleyan Traditions (as well as more "reformed" Anglicans) believe that Christ is Really present in terms of a definite spiritual presence. They reject symbolism as well. Even Presbyterians are known for this view.

kierkegaard214 said:
It just seems wrong to me that the Catholic Church is the final authority on who recieves God or not.

:doh: You have much to learn about the Vatican Church before to assume such falsehoods to be truth :doh:

Upvote 0

U R my Sonshine

Apr 7, 2005
✟9,695.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
kierkegaard214 said:
Exactly, who are we to decide who recieves God? That is up to Him and Him alone in my opinion. And for all a priest knows, couldn't a Catholic not be in a state of grace? Couldn't they have just made up some confession, then the priest would think they are in a state of grace and offer them the Eucharist. But then a Protestant who is a very good Christian wishes to participate with their brothers and sisters in Christ, but is refused because they aren't part of the club?

We protestants (for the most part) believe that the bread and wine are symbolic, yes. A Catholic has no right to assume, however, that Christ is not "present" at our communion. That is ridiculous. He is very much present at our communion. We do not take it lightly. It is a huge part of our worship and love for Christ...sooo Catholics need to be advised to show proper respect to each way the Lord is worshiped and glorified especially in this respect...

Part of the club? Well, I don't want ot be part of any club who decides when where and if I can come to Christ (Christ HIMSELF)

That is another beautiful thing about First Christian Church and many other protestant Churches.....you are in a state of grace if you have repented and asked JESUS for forgiveness. We just "cut out the middle man" so to speak.;) Come as you are....God loves accepts and died for you, the sinner. Have you repented? Do you love him? Do you accept him as your saviour? Then PLEASE partake in the Lords supper....and have communion with HIM. JESUS tells us this several times in the Bible.

Catholics can have it their way...that is fine, but it should be made known that there are other VERY legitimate forms of communion in other very wonderful churches blessed with Christ's presence as well.

Upvote 0

InnerPhyre

Nov 13, 2003
✟71,967.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
U R my Sonshine said:
Catholics can have it their way...that is fine, but it should be made known that there are other VERY legitimate forms of communion in other very wonderful churches blessed with Christ's presence as well.

You are, of course, entitled to believe what you wish. I was simply answering why Catholics must not receive communion in Protestant churches. It's not that we're "excluding" you and saying "nope those guys don't have a valid Eucharist because we don't like them." It's because you do not have a valid priesthood to consecrate the Eucharist. All apostolic churches (Catholic, Orthodox, Coptic) believe that only a priest may consecrate the bread and wine at which point they become the Body and Blood of Christ by the working of the Holy Spirit. This is why we believe what we do about communion in other churches.

We do not say that Protestants are outside the grace of God. We don't presume to know for certain. What we do know is that you deny the actual presence of Christ in our Eucharist and you are not in communion with the Church...therefore you may not receive.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

U R my Sonshine

Apr 7, 2005
✟9,695.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
InnerPhyre said:
What we do know is that you deny the actual presence of Christ in our Eucharist and you are not in communion with the Church...therefore you may not receive.
Bolding Sonshines....

Just so you don't try to perpetuate the "popular" myth here that we do not have Christ with us at our Communion. Because that would be just FALSE.;)

I don't happen to deny that your Eucharist is actually the body and blood of Christ, FYI:thumbsup:

The wafers may not physically become HIM in OUR services....but he is THERE with US.

Upvote 0

U R my Sonshine

Apr 7, 2005
✟9,695.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
ps139 said:
Sonshine,

We know that "whenever 2 or more are gathered in my name, I am there," but we do not believe that the bread at a Protestant Communion is Jesus.

And you are right...it isn't ....BUT He is STILL there with us as we take communion. Very much so.

No need to tell us what happens at our "protestant" communion....we already know ;) And He is there with us. No, He isn't bread and juice/wine....but he is there with us nontheless.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.