Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
COMMENTARY: The timing of this week’s conference, once seemingly accidental, is more urgent than ever, for three reasons.

A historic conference unfolds this week, Oct. 24 - 26, on the Franciscan University campus in Steubenville, Ohio, called “Nostra Aetate and the Future of Catholic-Jewish Relations at a Time of Rising Antisemitism.” It was first scheduled to coincide with the fifth anniversary of the Tree of Life shooting in nearby Pittsburgh, where an antisemitic murderer took the lives of 11 people, and injured six more, as they worshipped God on Oct. 27, 2018, in their synagogue.

Co-sponsored by Franciscan University and the Philos Project, the gathering, which will be livestreamed and recorded, aims to take relations between Jews and Catholics to a new plane of solidarity in a moment newly urgent. The conference gives Catholics everywhere a goal to unite at a critical moment in history.

I must admit that several months ago, upon first being approached to give the closing address, my initial reaction was puzzlement. Catholics against antisemitism? Wasn’t that already a thing? It seemed likely that Catholics know something about the landmark Nostra Aetate — the official declaration of the Second Vatican Council, reiterating that the Catholic faith begins with the patriarchs and prophets of ancient Israel, and condemning the notion that Jews share collective guilt for the death of Jesus. Many must also know of Pope John Paul II’s, and other popes’ personal devotion to the people of the Covenant. What, I wondered, could need adding to the ledger after all that?

Now we know. The timing of this week’s conference, once seemingly accidental, is more urgent than ever, for three reasons.

Continued below.

ChurchBuilder

One Love. One World Family.
Oct 7, 2023
Central FL
✟10,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
COMMENTARY: The timing of this week’s conference, once seemingly accidental, is more urgent than ever, for three reasons.

A historic conference unfolds this week, Oct. 24 - 26, on the Franciscan University campus in Steubenville, Ohio, called “Nostra Aetate and the Future of Catholic-Jewish Relations at a Time of Rising Antisemitism.” It was first scheduled to coincide with the fifth anniversary of the Tree of Life shooting in nearby Pittsburgh, where an antisemitic murderer took the lives of 11 people, and injured six more, as they worshipped God on Oct. 27, 2018, in their synagogue.

Co-sponsored by Franciscan University and the Philos Project, the gathering, which will be livestreamed and recorded, aims to take relations between Jews and Catholics to a new plane of solidarity in a moment newly urgent. The conference gives Catholics everywhere a goal to unite at a critical moment in history.

I must admit that several months ago, upon first being approached to give the closing address, my initial reaction was puzzlement. Catholics against antisemitism? Wasn’t that already a thing? It seemed likely that Catholics know something about the landmark Nostra Aetate — the official declaration of the Second Vatican Council, reiterating that the Catholic faith begins with the patriarchs and prophets of ancient Israel, and condemning the notion that Jews share collective guilt for the death of Jesus. Many must also know of Pope John Paul II’s, and other popes’ personal devotion to the people of the Covenant. What, I wondered, could need adding to the ledger after all that?

Now we know. The timing of this week’s conference, once seemingly accidental, is more urgent than ever, for three reasons.

Continued below.
Thank you for posting this. I think for this event to be credible the moderator of the event has to decipher the difference between anti-Semitism and the actions of the Israeli government since the 1940s. Here is a timeline of those actions as per UN website:

Upvote 0