✟39,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Originally posted by Julie
"[The following is] an exact translation of the doctrine of the Church of Rome as taught to-day in all Roman Catholic seminaries, colleges and universities, through the Summa Theologica of Thomas Aquinas, vol. iv., p. 90:

Duh, there is no "Volume 4" to the Summa. The Summa is broken down into parts, and there are three parts total.

Upvote 0

patriarch

Mar 6, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
✟1,052.00
Faith
Catholic
Wolsely,

You write that persons can only be banned for violating the rules. Here is the rule put up by KC Catholic:

"The "One Bread, One Body" Forum is NOT a debate forum. We do not debate Catholic beliefs, its not a place for NON-Catholics OR anti-Catholics to spout their rhetoric."

Despite all protestations to the contrary Fr. Rob is NOT a Catholic. This is a case where you to stop looking at words and start looking the realities underlying the words. He does not profess the faith as the Church professes it, yet he is here as a priest making authoritative statements. This is extremely problematical and a cause for confusion. As a priest we owe him respect, but when he presents himself as a faithful Catholic and a teacher in Israel, this becomes enormously problematical. He faults me for my netiquette for importing into this forum statements he made in another forum clearly distancing himself from the faith we profess. This is not a case of netiquette, but of simple honesty and fidelity. He is an ordained Evangelical flying under Catholic colors.

I am more than willing to extend to him every ecumenical courtesy, but not here. Here we rejoice in the Catholic faith , explain it to interested visitors, and fellowship with the Lord, invoking Mary and all the saints, in communion with the Bishop of Rome who is, as St. Catherine of Siena said, "sweet Christ on earth." If anyone believes something else, he belongs somewhere else. It is not only the prerogative of the adminstrators and moderators to effect that transition, it is their duty.

Pax,

Lee

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟277,361.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A reminder to one and all:

Rule No. 7 - No Public Disagreements with Staff.

If there are questions, comments, or disagreements regarding the way the Administartors or Moderators are handling things, the Private Message function is the way to address those issues, NOT the open forum.

We thank you for your cooperation.

Upvote 0
Originally posted by patriarch
Despite all protestations to the contrary Fr. Rob is NOT a Catholic. He does not profess the faith as the Church professes it, yet he is here as a priest making authoritative statements. This is extremely problematical and a cause for confusion.

Patriarch,

I have never made any secret of the fact that I am not a Roman Catholic. Despite all your protestations to the contrary, I am a Catholic, and you don't have the authority or right to judge that fact. I do not make authoritative statements about *Roman* Catholic doctrine and dogma, unless I can prove them. It shouldn't be problematic to the visitor who has two sticks to rub together. . . if my signature is not explicit enough, I'll change it. I thought it did a good job.

As a priest we owe him respect, but when he presents himself as a faithful Catholic and a teacher in Israel, this becomes enormously problematical. He faults me for my netiquette for importing into this forum statements he made in another forum clearly distancing himself from the faith we profess.

Of course I distanced myself from the Roman Catholic faith. I am not a Roman Catholic. I am a Catholic, and I am under the jurisdiction of the Bishop Ordinary of the Primitive Epsicopal Diocese of the Holy Spirit. If you consider that Protestant, fine. . . I don't. I consider myself an Evangelical Catholic. . . a Reformed Catholic. . . but I certianly don't consider myself a Protestant.

This is not a case of netiquette, but of simple honesty and fidelity. He is an ordained Evangelical flying under Catholic colors.

Since when is there something wrong with admitting to the Bible as the ultimate rule and standard of faith? Since when is there something non-Catholic about looking to the example of the Primitive Church to give context and background for the words of the Scriptures?

I am more than willing to extend to him every ecumenical courtesy, but not here. Here we rejoice in the Catholic faith ,

I rejoice in my Catholic faith as well.

explain it to interested visitors, and fellowship with the Lord, invoking Mary and all the saints, in communion with the Bishop of Rome who is, as St. Catherine of Siena said, "sweet Christ on earth."

Sounds to me like you want to tell the world that you can either be Roman Catholic or generic Protestant. Not true. The Vatican recognizes the Orthodox, Old Catholic, and certain Churches in the Anglican heritage who have obtained valid orders as "particular Churches" who, while not in full Communion with Rome, possess the valid elements. I think I read that in a Papal Encyclical at one point.

If anyone believes something else, he belongs somewhere else. It is not only the prerogative of the adminstrators and moderators to effect that transition, it is their duty.

And again, we get back to the base issue. Does Rome hold a copyright on the name Catholic.

Simple answer is NO.

Look, at the risk of seeming obtuse, you can insist all you want that this is a Roman Catholic board. I could really care less . . . the proof is in the pudding. I asked them to consider a name change or something a few weeks back. . . and they decided not to do it. That's fine. But, there are tons of jurisdictions out there (some good, some bad) who claim Catholicisim and who are not in union with Rome. What would ya'll do if they showed up?

For three months everyone was incredibly nice to me here. . . we had our debates, our discussions, but we were always on amicable terms.

Now, because you percieve that I have invaded the roost or something and stolen two of your eggs or whatever that I am now the enemy.

Friends, the enemy is rank Protestanisim that seeks to destroy the real presence. . . the priesthood. . . apostolic succession. . . the truth of God's word. . . the scanctity of life.

I'd love to stay here and share faith with ya'll. . . and I'd love to chat about our differences and simlilarities. . . but if you don't want me here and decide that banning is your only hope to keep me from stealing more sheep. . . well. . . so be it.

Fr. Rob

Upvote 0

VOW

Feb 7, 2002
*displaced* CA, soon to be AZ!
Visit site
✟28,000.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
This "sheep stealing" business is offensive to me. People aren't stolen! If Polycarp and Avila are genuinely believing in what you represent, Fr Rob, it's certainly none of OUR business here in Christian Forums. A person's religious belief is between him and God.

The "irritation" here is more basic. In our pond, we've got ducks: they look like ducks, they walk like ducks, they quack like ducks. You have shown up with an animal tucked under your arm, and you say, "See, my animal has a bill and it lays eggs, therefore, it's a duck."

But you have a platypus.

Peace,
~VOW

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ZooMom

Thanks for the memories...
Feb 5, 2002
America
✟45,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Rank Protestantism?!?!?! The enemy?!?!?! Are you for real?!?!? :mad:

Certainly, there is a major doctrinal dispute between ourselves and our Protestant brothers (and sisters) regarding Holy Communion, and that schism grieves me. BUT, Protestants are not our ENEMIES, they are our BRETHREN, and part of the Body of Christ. Shame on you! :sigh:

Upvote 0
ZooMom,

Do you know what I consider to be "Rank Protestantisim"? Try Jack Chick, Fred Phelps, and their bunch of hatemongers.

I pray that people like that might change their ways, but sadly, I don't see them doing so.

As long as men like Phelps and Chick spread their venom and lies, they are the enemy of Christ and his Church.

Fr. Rob

Upvote 0

Kotton

Feb 8, 2002
Kansas
Visit site
✟20,964.00
Faith
Catholic
Originally posted by Fr. Rob
I never went to the Rapture Ready boards that I hear all the horror stories about, but I don't see how thy can be worse!

Fr. Rob

This just brought to mind my experience yesterday on RR. I responded to an ex-Catholic regarding his 44 years in the Catholic Church and therefore he knew and understood what it teaches. I said he didn't present the truth in his posts on the Church. Immediatly I was warned to drop the attitude and not judge someone. :scratch: :confused:

Then for those who know William Putnam, and his ability to post without offending, also his knowledge and experience of years on the web, he received a warning from the same moderator. :(   His reply,"What attitude?"

Yep, I remember Wols telling them, "You only do your sheriffing on one side." :D   Don't post there much, but occationally I see something that needs addressing.

Kotton ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

KC Catholic

Everybody's gone surfin'...Surfin' U.S.A
Feb 5, 2002
Overland Park, KS
✟21,887.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

ZooMom

Thanks for the memories...
Feb 5, 2002
America
✟45,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by Fr. Rob
ZooMom,

Do you know what I consider to be "Rank Protestantisim"? Try Jack Chick, Fred Phelps, and their bunch of hatemongers.

I pray that people like that might change their ways, but sadly, I don't see them doing so.

As long as men like Phelps and Chick spread their venom and lies, they are the enemy of Christ and his Church.

Fr. Rob
I am very familiar with Chick and others of his ilk. Your post did not seem to target these men in particular, or those who support them, but rather Protestants in general. I apologize if I misunderstood, but I'm don't think I'm the only one who did.

Upvote 0

isshinwhat

Pro Deo et Patria
Apr 12, 2002
Visit site
✟13,555.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
What makes someone persist in their ignorance of the Catholic Faith? Someone like Jack Chick who must peruse blindly through Church History looking for that one thing that will validate his misguided hatred. Is it pride? Does his pride keep him from seeing that the religion of Mithras stole rites from the Church? Iranaeus is practically the only source of information in antiquity on the cult and its practices, yet Chick still insists on claiming a history contrary to that which is written. His "Death Cookie" comic is appalling. A brief glance through Early Church history will show that the disciples of the Apostles proclaimed an actual change of the bread and wine into the Body and Blood occurred at the Consecration, not only that, but that the doctrine was received from Christ. Ignatius was a first generation student of the Apostles! He heard the true interpretation from the mouths of the Peter and John, yet the lies persist that it was a rite developed from the Mithraic cults and proclaimed officially at Trent. Did Jack Chick blindly read Iranaeus? I don't know, but my prayers go out for him and for us that our pride may be left at the foot of the Cross. May God lead us to a right faith and a true understanding.

Neal

Upvote 0

Trento

Senior Veteran
Apr 12, 2002
AZ. Between the Holy Cross river and the Saint Rit
Visit site
✟22,534.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
---Julie----"[The following is] an exact translation of the doctrine of the Church of Rome as taught to-day in all Roman Catholic seminaries, colleges and universities, through the Summa Theologica of Thomas Aquinas, vol. iv., p. 90:

Well Julie your post certainly gives away your sources of anti Catholic vitriol.  Look what happened  in England in the 16th century.

The Pope, Pius V, issued a Bull of Excommunication against Elizabeth and with that the laws against Catholics were increased. The Catholics were to be allowed to die out. It was treason to be a priest or to harbour a priest. Non-attendance at the  church of England was fined so heavily that the well-to-do were ruined, the poor destitute. Hopelessness ruled over the English Catholics.
And then, on June 24th, 1580, Fr. Edmund Campion, with Fr. Robert Persons, arrived in England. The first night they lay hidden at a house in Chancery Lane, the next at Hoxton.  

Campion a Jesuit became immediately famous. To the Catholics he became a great rallying point. New life was breathed into the down-hearted. To the English church he was a man to be tracked down and sent to his death. As he was. For rather more than a year he travelled throughout England bringing the Mass and the Sacraments and new hope to the hidden Catholics; always on the move, never dwelling two nights at the same house. The end was inevitable and he was taken at Lyford Grange in Berkshire. He was paraded through the streets of London as a prize capture, cast into the Tower, tortured, tried (a mockery of a trial), condemned to be hung, drawn and quartered, and executed at Tyburn gallows on December 1st, 1581

A side note ;The prosecutor and Justice Ayloff after the trial pulling off his glove found his hand and signet ring bloody with no sign of any injury. 

Edmund Campion Jesuit and Martyr by Evelyn Waugh

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.