✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Article:

https://www.ncronline.org/blogs/gra...s-total-ban-contraception-challenged-scholars

Source Document:

http://www.wijngaardsinstitute.com/statement-ethics-using-contraceptives/

So-signers include Bishop Geoffrey Robinson, former President of Ireland Mary McAleese, Father Charles Curan, Father Peter Phan, and several Georgetown University professors, among others. Catholic University of America represented also. They have about 141 Roman Catholic co-signers in total, and 8 ecumenical co-signers.

Martinius

Catholic disciple of Jesus
Jul 2, 2010
The woods and lakes of the Great North
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not surprising, as there was a similar list a half century back when this issue was being discussed. And an even higher percentage of bishops and parish priests who felt the same. That is one reason why over that half century I never had any of my bishops or parish priests discuss it or preach about it. The only time I heard a priest I talk about contraception was when asked directly about it, usually in private.

That train left the station many decades ago with a whole lot of people on it. Those theologians and scholars are waving at an empty track.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Twelve years after I had my tubes tied after the birth of my third child I heard that Pope John Paul had attempted to give Humane Vitae some sort of infrastructure with Theology of the Body. I thought it was good he tried to make HV seem like more than an imperial edict from someone who ignored the recommendations of his commissions but by then I think Catholics had been ignoring it so long it made little difference.

Upvote 0

xpower

Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2014
✟105,003.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Twelve years after I had my tubes tied after the birth of my third child I heard that Pope John Paul had attempted to give Humane Vitae some sort of infrastructure with Theology of the Body. I thought it was good he tried to make HV seem like more than an imperial edict from someone who ignored the recommendations of his commissions but by then I think Catholics had been ignoring it so long it made little difference.
I thought you were a dude!

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I thought you were a dude!

My name here, Fantine, comes from the character in "Les Miserables" who made me cry the hardest (and did I cry during "Les Miserables.") In the movie version she was played by Anne Hathaway, who won a best supporting actress Oscar for the role.

Fantine was a factory worker who had an affair with the boss one summer and became pregnant. She had her baby (Cosette) but had to leave her with a dubious innkeeper and his wife, who treated her somewhat like Cinderella.

A lecherous foreman fired her when she resisted his advances. She had to sell her hair, and eventually her body. Jean Valjean (who had become the mayor of the town and owner of the factory, thanks to the bishop's silver candlesticks) saw her and took pity on her, but by then she was dying. As she died he promised to raise Cosette as his own daughter.

Her signature song, "I Dreamed a Dream," will strike a chord with anyone who has ever been through heartbreak, disillusionment, and despair.

In my ideal world, no one would ever have to go through the ordeals of Fantine. :)

Upvote 0