Catholic Church With ‘God Is Trans’ Exhibit to Host ‘Pride Mass’ at New York City Monument

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,730,946.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Church of St. Paul the Apostle announced that on June 22 it is celebrating a Mass outdoors at the Stonewall National Monument.

The Catholic church in New York City that hosted a controversial art display called “God Is Trans” is now hosting a “Pride Mass” at a monument commemorating a June 1969 LGBT uprising.

The Church of St. Paul the Apostle announced that on June 22 it is celebrating a Mass outdoors at the Stonewall National Monument in New York City, a national park associated with the June 28, 1969, uprising at The Stonewall Inn.

The “Pride Mass” is set to take place in the month the Catholic Church designates for the Sacred Heart of Jesus. June is also the month known as “Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer Pride Month,” which LGBT activists designated to commemorate the uprising at a bar requented by homosexuals that was the site of a violent revolt against law enforcement during a police raid.

The Mass will take place in a park where there are transgender and “Pride” flags as well as sculptures of two homosexual couples titled “Gay Liberation.”

The park is located in the West Village neighborhood of Greenwich Village, which is approximately 4 miles from the Church of St. Paul the Apostle on the Upper West Side.

One moral theologian told CNA that celebrating the Mass with a political end is inappropriate and “possibly sacrilegious.” A canon lawyer has also questioned the liturgical necessity of celebrating the Mass outside of a sacred place, calling the choice of location “opportunistic for sensational reasons.”

Continued below.

• Prayers
Reactions: The Liturgist

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,247,557.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
The Church of St. Paul the Apostle announced that on June 22 it is celebrating a Mass outdoors at the Stonewall National Monument.

The Catholic church in New York City that hosted a controversial art display called “God Is Trans” is now hosting a “Pride Mass” at a monument commemorating a June 1969 LGBT uprising.

The Church of St. Paul the Apostle announced that on June 22 it is celebrating a Mass outdoors at the Stonewall National Monument in New York City, a national park associated with the June 28, 1969, uprising at The Stonewall Inn.

The “Pride Mass” is set to take place in the month the Catholic Church designates for the Sacred Heart of Jesus. June is also the month known as “Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer Pride Month,” which LGBT activists designated to commemorate the uprising at a bar requented by homosexuals that was the site of a violent revolt against law enforcement during a police raid.

The Mass will take place in a park where there are transgender and “Pride” flags as well as sculptures of two homosexual couples titled “Gay Liberation.”

The park is located in the West Village neighborhood of Greenwich Village, which is approximately 4 miles from the Church of St. Paul the Apostle on the Upper West Side.

One moral theologian told CNA that celebrating the Mass with a political end is inappropriate and “possibly sacrilegious.” A canon lawyer has also questioned the liturgical necessity of celebrating the Mass outside of a sacred place, calling the choice of location “opportunistic for sensational reasons.”

Continued below.
Isaac Hecker turns in his grave over the fall of the Paulists. I knew a few good (older) Paulists. They're all dead now. I think Fr. Comber was the last one. All the younger ones were infected before they ever made it out of formation in seminary.

• Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟445,591.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

Nothing much about the alphabet movement surprises me much anymore.

You know I am a recent revert ...
So, what it 'looks like' to me ... from the things I see in the churches I visit, the things I read here, the internet, etc. ...
is that the Catholic Church presently is divided very much like America is divided politically ...
with a left side, and a right side, and not so many in the middle.

It is so obvious in the area where I live ...
The 2 largest and very active, thriving Catholic Churches: one is left leaning (progressive), the other is right leaning (conservative).
Both parishes are nearly the same in membership and financial giving, and appear very opposite in focus.
I would expect to find mostly Democrats in one, and mostly Republicans in the other.

Is this impression I'm getting pretty accurate?

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,247,557.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Nothing much about the alphabet movement surprises me much anymore.

You know I am a recent revert ...
So, what it 'looks like' to me ... from the things I see in the churches I visit, the things I read here, the internet, etc. ...
is that the Catholic Church presently is divided very much like America is divided politically ...
with a left side, and a right side, and not so many in the middle.

It is so obvious in the area where I live ...
The 2 largest and very active, thriving Catholic Churches: one is left leaning (progressive), the other is right leaning (conservative).
Both parishes are nearly the same in membership and financial giving, and appear very opposite in focus.
I would expect to find mostly Democrats in one, and mostly Republicans in the other.

Is this impression I'm getting pretty accurate?
We don't all fall into the Democrat or Republican dustbins. I climbed out of the Democratic one about 30 years ago only to fall into the Republican one. I climbed out of that one only seven years ago. Just saying there is sanity and life outside of the parties of Tweedle Dum and Tweedle Dee.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,730,946.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Bleeding Christ, have mercy!
I cannot believe the things I am seeing from the RCC these days as a convert. This is not what I converted for. I simply rely on the official teachings of the Church and Scripture. But I am really disappointed in the scandalous behavior and messages from those that are supposed to be shepherds within the Church… it really does give one a huge pause in reflection. My conclusion? Read the official teachings of the Church and refer to Scripture. Got to put on your overalls and dig in. Be aware.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟248,602.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I cannot believe the things I am seeing from the RCC these days as a convert. This is not what I converted for. I simply rely on the official teachings of the Church and Scripture. But I am really disappointed in the scandalous behavior and messages from those that are supposed to be shepherds within the Church… it really does give one a huge pause in reflection. My conclusion? Read the official teachings of the Church and refer to Scripture. Got to put on your overalls and dig in. Be aware.
Amen!

• Prayers
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟445,591.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
We don't all fall into the Democrat or Republican dustbins. I climbed out of the Democratic one about 30 years ago only to fall into the Republican one. I climbed out of that one only seven years ago. Just saying there is sanity and life outside of the parties of Tweedle Dum and Tweedle Dee.

So if what you are saying is that not all Catholics are politically polarized ...
and that I should not be concerned about encountering that issue in a local Catholic Church ...
then that is nice to know.

Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟445,591.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

How long have you been a convert?

I get what you are saying. If I did not have a solid foundation in the important Catholic beliefs ...
and know where to research for the truth ... and have the desire to do so ... I would be very, very confused.

The whole world is in turmoil. It isn't just the Catholic Church.
There is a much bigger plan at work. The new world order.
But before they can fully implement 'the new', they must first get rid of 'the old'.
Tear it down, destroy it, throw people into chaos.

You are so right. Stay close to Scripture and the official teachings.
And pray always.

... fellowship with like-minded believers is most helpful also!
:blush:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,247,557.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Yes.

It was obvious from 1985 that the Paulist train wreck was going to happen. Their formation/seminary process went woke back then and the new Paulists were simply not up to being Christian. I was in a parish in Minneapolis that was staffed by the Paulists. At the time they were really big on all Paulist parishes redefining their mission statements. I was on parish council at the time. I proposed elements of a mission statement that emphasized reconciliation. I got shot down in favor of a statement direct from Paulist central casting that emphasized inclusiveness. It was clear that the young Paulists intended that to mean sexual inclusivity.

There were old Paulists in residence in Minneapolis, of the sort that Fr. Isaac Hecker would have wanted. But they were put out to pasture as too old fashioned. The young Paulists had no room for them. Finally the archbishop in St. Paul had no more use for the Paulists either and that parish is now a vibrant Newman Center with exceptional leadership. I had years before moved out of the big city and ended up in a parish that eventually made it to the 'reverent mass' list. Then I moved again. But I saw the ungluing of the Paulists from the Christian faith. What is going on in New York now is no surprise at all.

There was one odd young Paulist in that crowd though, Fr Robert Sirico. I met him when he was a deacon. Something happened to him along the way that caused him to leave the Paulists and end up pretty much a real Catholic and part of the Acton Institute. The rest of them would all be of the sort that would quite naturally host a 'pride mass'. He, with his storied history, you would think should have ended up there too, but he didn't. God's grace can be like that.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,247,557.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
So if what you are saying is that not all Catholics are politically polarized ...
Not all are polarized. There is and ought to be a space where one is Christian ahead of being in a political party. It's easy to put politics first though. It's just wrong.
and that I should not be concerned about encountering that issue in a local Catholic Church ...
then that is nice to know.
I would be concerned. Putting politics ahead of the faith IS idolatry. Too much politics and it ceases to be Catholicism. I have maintained that it is barely possible to be a Democrat and a Catholic. If you accept the Democratic Party platform hook, line, and sinker I don't think it is possible at all any longer. The only possible way to be a Democrat and a Catholic would to be out of sync with the platform on numerous issues. So much so that they would want to get rid of you like they got rid of former congressman Dan Lipinski.

While it may be possible to be a Republican and a Catholic, I don't see the two sitting easy together either. The 'marriage' between Republican and Christian is an odd one. They aren't as aligned as they appear. And often to appear aligned, it is the Christian side that has to compromise. For example, there was apparent alignment on abortion. But for years when Republicans held power there was scant movement to stop abortion. Only when outsider Donald Trump became president did anything substantial happen.

The faith should inform politics. Politics often over-informs the faith, forcing compromises to the faith. It's a concern.

• Agree
Reactions: narnia59
Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟189,634.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Yesterday while praying the Liturgy of the Hours, the Office of the Readings, the first reading is
Chapter 6 of the book of Joshua. Joshua, CHAPTER 6
The Israelites did as God commanded and the walls of Jericho collapsed and the city fell
to them.

The Lord spoke to me by showing me that He alone needs to be the center of our lives, and I
need to be detached from the current events taking place in our society.

So, although all this LGBTQ nonsense is disturbing along with other events and the corrupt politics of the USA,
we as believers must stay focused on God's will and not try to push our own will onto society.
We must be the examples of faith in Jesus Christ.

Nations and societies will cease to exist, but God will not. Our faith needs to be rooted
in Him and not focused on the ills of society, which rejects God and always has anyway.
God is our savior and the only source we have for peace in our lives.

Things are going to get worse before they get better. Let us be sure that we're on God's side
and not on the correct political side.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,730,946.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How long have you been a convert?

I get what you are saying. If I did not have a solid foundation in the important Catholic beliefs ...
and know where to research for the truth ... and have the desire to do so ... I would be very, very confused.

The whole world is in turmoil. It isn't just the Catholic Church.
There is a much bigger plan at work. The new world order.
But before they can fully implement 'the new', they must first get rid of 'the old'.
Tear it down, destroy it, throw people into chaos.

You are so right. Stay close to Scripture and the official teachings.
And pray always.

... fellowship with like-minded believers is most helpful also!
I was officially Catholic in 2004? I’m not sure.

• Friendly
Reactions: mourningdove~
Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟445,591.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Not all are polarized. There is and ought to be a space where one is Christian ahead of being in a political party. It's easy to put politics first though. It's just wrong.

I would be concerned. Putting politics ahead of the faith IS idolatry. Too much politics and it ceases to be Catholicism. I have maintained that it is barely possible to be a Democrat and a Catholic. If you accept the Democratic Party platform hook, line, and sinker I don't think it is possible at all any longer. The only possible way to be a Democrat and a Catholic would to be out of sync with the platform on numerous issues. So much so that they would want to get rid of you like they got rid of former congressman Dan Lipinski.

While it may be possible to be a Republican and a Catholic, I don't see the two sitting easy together either. The 'marriage' between Republican and Christian is an odd one. They aren't as aligned as they appear. And often to appear aligned, it is the Christian side that has to compromise. For example, there was apparent alignment on abortion. But for years when Republicans held power there was scant movement to stop abortion. Only when outsider Donald Trump became president did anything substantial happen.

The faith should inform politics. Politics often over-informs the faith, forcing compromises to the faith. It's a concern.

Yes, I agree.
I know to be concerned about those issues, and why.

Looking soon to officially join a local church, and now in the discernment process to choose one, I was just wondering how prevalent ARE those problems in the local Catholic Churches.

But all locales are different, so I realize no one here can tell me.
I just gotta keep discerning for myself ...

I am "Old Mother Time" ... lol. Years ago, local Catholic Churches looked very much alike. You could interchangeably go from one to the other, without noting much difference. But that was many years ago ... we live in much different times now.

All this alphabet stuff? I don't want to end up in a local Church that pushes it, promotes it or prays for the growth of it.
Love the sinner, hate the sin.

I'm looking for the holy (local) Catholic Church.
And I will find it.

Meanwhile, it's very nice to fellowship here ...
and thanks for your insightful responses!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,247,557.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Yes, I agree.
I know to be concerned about those issues, and why.

Looking soon to officially join a local church, and now in the discernment process to choose one, I was just wondering how prevalent ARE those problems in the local Catholic Churches.

But all locales are different, so I realize no one here can tell me.
I just gotta keep discerning for myself ...

I am "Old Mother Time" ... lol. Years ago, local Catholic Churches looked very much alike. You could interchangeably go from one to the other, without noting much difference. But that was many years ago ... we live in much different times now.

All this alphabet stuff? I don't want to end up in a local Church that pushes it, promotes it or prays for the growth of it.
Love the sinner, hate the sin.

I'm looking for the holy (local) Catholic Church.
And I will find it.

Meanwhile, it's very nice to fellowship here ...
and thanks for your insightful responses!
My experience is that there are a few hard core woke parishes in an average diocese. My old diocese had three. One staffed by the Paulists. They were removed, but the Paulists no longer have the priests to staff what they once passed. That is now diocesan and pastored by a faithful priest. Another was diocesan but very woke. The archbishop sent a strong young priest to bring it back into shape. Most of the people left and he rebuilt it into a faithful Hispanic parish. The third parish is the LGBTQWERTY parish and it seems that nothing can be done with it. But you would know within ten minutes of being there exactly what it’s all about. So there’s no risk of accidentally joining such a place.

The bigger danger is the clueless drifting parishes that don’t really know how to commit to Jesus so they aren’t anchored to Jesus. They find it easy to be political either right wing or left wing. Lukewarm about the faith. Yuck.

There are lots of good parishes out there. One tool I use to find them is MassTimes.org where so search for those parishes that do adoration. Those are usually the good parishes.

• Informative
Reactions: mourningdove~
Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟445,591.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
My experience is that there are a few hard core woke parishes in an average diocese. My old diocese had three. One staffed by the Paulists. They were removed, but the Paulists no longer have the priests to staff what they once passed. That is now diocesan and pastored by a faithful priest. Another was diocesan but very woke. The archbishop sent a strong young priest to bring it back into shape. Most of the people left and he rebuilt it into a faithful Hispanic parish. The third parish is the LGBTQWERTY parish and it seems that nothing can be done with it. But you would know within ten minutes of being there exactly what it’s all about. So there’s no risk of accidentally joining such a place.

The bigger danger is the clueless drifting parishes that don’t really know how to commit to Jesus so they aren’t anchored to Jesus. They find it easy to be political either right wing or left wing. Lukewarm about the faith. Yuck.

There are lots of good parishes out there. One tool I use to find them is MassTimes.org where so search for those parishes that do adoration. Those are usually the good parishes.

Thanks bunches!

You very much describe what I am seeing here where I live; you've categorized them quite accurately.

Your list tells me to 'trust my instincts'. What I am seeing is what is.
Thanks for the confirmation!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟484,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Out of curiosity isn’t the bishop or the hierarchy in New York going to crack down against this, since Pride is consdiered one of the Seven Deadly Sins, lust another, and homosexuality intrinsically disordered? I greatly admire Archbishop Cordileone for his work in dissuading an incorrect attitude towards perversion in the Diocese of San Francisco (I hope he is made a cardinal).

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟484,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Isaac Hecker turns in his grave over the fall of the Paulists. I knew a few good (older) Paulists. They're all dead now. I think Fr. Comber was the last one. All the younger ones were infected before they ever made it out of formation in seminary.

Would it be possible to form an order of reformed Paulists, like the original founding of the Trappists, Capuchins and Discalced Carmelites, which were reformation movements involving the more strict following of their original rule?

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,730,946.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A Catholic parish in New York City that planned to have a “Pride Mass” on Thursday at a federal monument with sculptures of two same-sex couples and groups of gay and transgender pride flags has announced a change of location.

The Church of St. Paul the Apostle said in a Wednesday email to parishioners that the National Parks Service informed it that the Stonewall National Monument, which commemorates a June 1969 LGBT uprising against a police raid, “will not be open to the public tomorrow due to concerns over the security of events in the area.”

Continued below.

Upvote 0