Catholic and religious News - What are your sources?

Martinius

Catholic disciple of Jesus
Jul 2, 2010
The woods and lakes of the Great North
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Posters who start threads with links to stories or news items use various sources, some I am not familiar with. The sources used by people on this forum may be different than the ones used by people who post elsewhere? From where do you get your religious and Catholic news and information? From secular sources? From the Vatican? From Catholic sites or publications? From your diocesan newspaper? From general religious news sources?

Which do like the most or trust the most?

Martinius

Jul 2, 2010
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't see out Catholic news sites as much as I'd like, but I usually go to the National Catholic Reporter when I do
Me too. That is my primary source, but I do check others. For news about the Pope, I go to the Vatican site or use the Pope App. It is really quite good, and gives you links to the various things Francis said or did that day. I joke with my wife when I pick up my iPAd and say, "well, let's find out what the Pope did today to upset some people."

Upvote 0

Martinius

Jul 2, 2010
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Love it. Actually, that is very true, and I have discovered new sources thanks to her links. The Washington Post has a dedicated religious section online, and I get notified when a new "edition" is posted. I also have links to America (Jesuit mag) and Commonweal.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,097,722.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I get links to the National Catholic Reporter from my email. I am a great fan of Fr. James Martin, SJ, and he posts lots of links, usually to the Jesuit publication, "America."

I get "Liguorian" in the mail, and my diocesan newspaper.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Martinius

Jul 2, 2010
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am learning a lot here. Now I know some places to go for News.
Another advantage of having multiple sources is to check on a story. For example, different media outlets emphasize different aspects of a news release or a talk by the Pope. And they quote different parts. To get a better handle on some stories, especially the controversial ones, I will check a few different sources. And if it comes from the Vatican or other official source, it is easy to find the originals.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,723,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The National Catholic Reporter is not a good source and clergy have come out publically and said as much. But the choice is ultimately up to you.
Another advantage of having multiple sources is to check on a story. For example, different media outlets emphasize different aspects of a news release or a talk by the Pope. And they quote different parts. To get a better handle on some stories, especially the controversial ones, I will check a few different sources. And if it comes from the Vatican or other official source, it is easy to find the originals.

Upvote 0

Martinius

Jul 2, 2010
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The National CatholicReporter is not a good source and clergy have come out publically ams said as much. But the choice is ultimately up to you.
I have no problem with it. It may be biased, but so is the other NCR or several other Catholic publications. They do not form my idea of what Catholicism should be, but their views seem to be close to mine in several areas. And, as I have said, I have several media sources I check and reference, including the Vatican and the USCCB sites. If you want to see really far out Catholic commentary, check out "Catholica", a site out of Australia. I have used them to follow what has been happening with the Royal Commission investigating child sex abuse there.

National Catholic Reporter also references articles from other sources, including many in conservative publications. And once you link to those you can usually look at other stuff at that site. So I actually get a wide range of views and information.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Martinius

Jul 2, 2010
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Like I said, it is up to you.
Yes it is, thanks.

The point of this was to see what media sources people use, and to make people aware of what is available. We have a poster thanking contributors for their suggestions. So, to me, this thread is serving its purpose. Check them out, and use the ones you like.

Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
There used to be a blog called Whispers Is the Loggia by a former writer for The Tablet (a UK Catholic publication) who lived in Philadelphia, PA (USA). I fell out of the habit of reading it, so I'm not sure if it's still around or not. It was a tad right of center, but not as much as a lot of the Catholic press is, and it got a lot of insider-y scoops. The guy was obviously well connected with Cardinals, bishops, and staffers inside and outside the Curia.

A lot of it was kind of inside baseball type stuff, like who's going to get appointed bishop of where, which bishops and priests are falling in and out of favor with the Vatican, etc.. I don't say that disdainfully- I actually have an interest in that sort of thing myself. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Re: The National Catholic Reporter vs. The National Catholic Register

The National Catholic Reporter is by far the older and more venerable publication. It was started in print, well before the dawn of the Internet, at a time where pretty much the only source of information about the Roman Catholic Church in the United States, apart from the occasional article in the mainstream non-religious press, were officially sanctioned publications like diocesan newsletters and the like.

The Reporter was started with the idea that it was good to have an independent publication covering the Church, and not just publications run by or formally associated with the Church, because an independent publication could give unbiased news and editorials without having to run it by the people they were covering, or having a bishop tell them that they had to drop a columnist or something. Of course, it wasn't completely a distinct entity in so far as most of the staff were practicing Catholics, and there were priests and nuns among the writers, and even, at one point, a bishop, but it was funded by donations and subscription fees and it's own entity that didn't have to answer to anyone except for it's readers.

There was a point in the United States, across the board really, not just in the Roman Catholic tradition, but in a lot of Protestant churches as well, where big money started coming pouring into things like religious publications from the nascent alliance between the religious right and economic right, the alliance that built the modern Republican Party. The Reporter was self-sustaining and didn't need the right-wing's money, so the Republican investors couldn't buy the paper's editorial integrity.

Now, I can't draw a direct line to this, but in that environment, the National Catholic Register popped up. It's far younger than the National Catholic Reporter, and has a far more conservative slant. The NCR initials are almost certainly not a coincidence- it's playing off the name recognition of NCR as an abbreviation for the National Catholic Reporter. I honestly would have sued them had I been in charge of the Reporter at that time. It may or may not be a trademark violation under the law, but I'd expect better from a religious publication. Build your own brand and don't try to bootstrap off the popularity of another paper by sowing confusion in the marketplace using a set of welk known initials associated with something else. So many people today don't even know which came first, and I can't say that I don't believe that the Register created that situation intentionally.

They also pretty explicitly started because they thought the *real* NCR got too liberal, so it's sort of a double whammy- like, we'll trash your reputation *and* we'll sort of steal your name, more or less. It is not something that reflects well upon them, in my opinion.

There are far worse outlets than the Register, but I'm not very interested in them. I'll stick to the real NCR. If someone posts a direct link to an article I want to read in the other one, I'll read it, but I try to be very aware of the source.

Now, just to be fair, I do know someone who's written for the Register in the past and is a person of high integrity. It's not like it's all partisan hacks or something, although this person is predictably a Republican. ;) I just don't like it as a primary source of news about the Church for me personally. Of course, everyone should decide these things for themselves. I am not saying that its a bad fit for everyone.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I think highly of America Magazine and actually probably would check their site regularly if so much of their content weren't behind a "paywall" (i.e. Where you have to pay to subscribe in order to read certain articles, or more than a certain number of articles in a given time period). There's nothing wrong with a paywall, editors and writers gotta eat, but that's not where I want to be spending my money just as a personal choice. I have so many interests and so little money that if I started paying to get subscriptions to things, even one per interest I have, I'd be in financial trouble awfully fast unless I cut back significantly in other areas. :) I like what I read from them, though.

The only caution I'd have there is that they at least once basically had, under a prior more conservative Pope, the Vatican basically tell the Jesuits (Who run the magazine) to get rid of their editor, and, shortly thereafter, he was gone. My problem isn't that they had an editor that somebody at the Vatican didn't like- it's that they gave in and either fired him or asked him to resign or whatever. I think they pretty much had to, because it's the magazine of a religious order which exists under the Pope, and that's the nature of a hierarchical structure, so I don't blame them, and I like their work a lot (The parts of it that I can read for free), it just has to be understood as being within the bounds of a publication that ultimately answers to the institutional church and not just to it's readers and editors. Everyone answers to somebody (Even independent papers and website have owners, and even non-profits have big contributors who have to be kept happy), but they are limits and places it can't go, that publications like the National Catholic Reporter can go, theologically.

It's been a long time, so I'm not sure I am remembering the specific issue correctly, but I think the deal was that America ran an editorial in favor of women priests, or another similar issue, and that's what was objected to and ultimately cost the editor his job. NCR has been able to run editorials in favor of women priests and whatnot in the past and no one's been fired over it- although I don't think they take an official stance on the issue as a paper (They just have some columnists who believe in women priests, and probably some who don't as well).

Upvote 0

Martinius

Jul 2, 2010
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There used to be a blog called Whispers Is the Loggia by a former writer for The Tablet (a UK Catholic publication) who lived in Philadelphia, PA (USA). I fell out of the habit of reading it, so I'm not sure if it's still around or not. It was a tad right of center, but not as much as a lot of the Catholic press is, and it got a lot of insider-y scoops. The guy was obviously well connected with Cardinals, bishops, and staffers inside and outside the Curia.
Yes, "Whispers in the Loggia" is still around. The blog is run by Rocco Palmo, who does have some in depth info. I have seen quotes and links to his articles in NC Register.

Upvote 0