Dec 27, 2003
USA
✟28,950.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
hannabl said:
He claims that the Prior the Sion exists, whisch isn't true. Nor has Da Vinci ever been a member in it, or any other of the names he listed. This guy made it up in like the 70's or 80's (can't remember), he the forged the papers and got a museum to accept them. He also later confessed that it was all a fake!

Whether or not the organization actually existed can be discussed, since it only existed a sa figment in his, and his friens, mind.

But as I said before, read some books on the subject. It's interesting and informative.
I've read quite a few books on it. I assume you are referring to Plantard. What Plantard never confirmed was the truth of his claims as to the connection to the Merovingic monarchy, the fact that the whole history of the priory is a fake isn't what I disagree with. I assume it is fake. The priory organisation existed but it's entire history, or the connection with Da Vinci , Newton, Hugo and Cocteau is a fiction.

Upvote 0

faerieevaH

lucky wife
Dec 27, 2003
USA
✟28,950.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Metanoia02 said:
I agree anti-Catholic literature has been around for centuries. Previous renditions have used the Jesuits that were the secret society doing the will of the Vatican. The only thing different is that Dan Brown has replaced the Jesuits with Opus Dei. Yes this is a story telling tradition, just not a very good one.

It's not anti catholic literature I am referring to, but the storytelling of weaving an entire tale out of just a rumour or a whisper without any true ground. It's not invented as a weapon against catholicism. It's been used as a means of entertainment for a long time.

Upvote 0

Bible Addict

Aug 9, 2004
✟8,539.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
BjBarnett said:
well when people start believing it and accepting it as truth thats when the problem steps in. the book store near my house sells it in the Christian books. There are a lot of people out there that totally believe the Da Vinci Codes. Im with the Cardinal on this one people should read such a heretic writing without knowing its a heretical writing. kinda like the book of mormon. yeah its fiction and shouldnt be taken as truth but there are tons of mormons out there that take it as truth.

The key difference there is that the Book of Mormon claims to be truth... Davinci Code does not. Certain people can claim that Cinderella is a true story, does that mean nobody can/should read it? No. What people choose to believe is their own business. There is nothing wrong with the Davinci Code itself.

Upvote 0

hannabl

Dec 8, 2004
Göteborg
✟8,655.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
faerieeva said:
I've read quite a few books on it. I assume you are referring to Plantard. What Plantard never confirmed was the truth of his claims as to the connection to the Merovingic monarchy, the fact that the whole history of the priory is a fake isn't what I disagree with. I assume it is fake. The priory organisation existed but it's entire history, or the connection with Da Vinci , Newton, Hugo and Cocteau is a fiction.

Just realised now that I must have sounded extremly rude (read some books...), I'm sorry. It happens sometimes since I'm not always sure how to express myself in english... :blush: If it had been Swedish I wouldn't have made that mistake:doh:

As for Plantard not confirming the truth behind his claims, well I haven't studied the Mervingic but I'd say his right to the throne (which is gone now...) is zero! A lot of people play with the idea that they are the heir of a king, but that doesn't mean that they need to state that they're in fact not for the claim to be false!

Upvote 0

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I don't think the point is so much whether or not the author claims the book is based on facts and then elaborates with his own imagination.

The point is, even though it's pointed out that it's fiction, many a gullible folk are going to lap it down as if there is some validity to it. Just like many folks did when they picked up the Left Behind books for the first time.

And come on... even if it is 'based loosely on facts' the guy sure has a WILD imagination to get where he went from the supposed 2 facts he started out with.

Michelle

Upvote 0

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
princess_ballet said:
If I was to read something, I will. And if it is supposedly such malarky, then I guess I'll see right through; won't I?
Sure because you're informed beforehand. Lots of folks aren't .. If you want to read it, knock yourself out. I personally can think of much more beneficial things to read, but that's me.

I was just pointing out why the Cardinal might think it's dangerous for some folks to read it.

Michelle

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

colleen

We are an Easter people!
Mar 8, 2002
✟21,098.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
My main problem with the book is that Dan Brown actually believes a lot of these things. In interviews he has talked about the sacred feminine (Mary Magdelian especially) and the importance that need to put on them. I see his book as a chance for him to evangelize to people. We need to remember that pretty much every Catholic on this board is hyper-educated on religious matters. From my religion minor alone I was able to tell how poorly researched this book is. But, I have spoken to three people (one of them my aunt who while protestant has raised her kids in the Catholic faith), and all of them believe aspects of the book to be true including Jesus and Mary Magdelian getting married. My aunt was especially surprised to hear that she has probably walked by members of Opus Dei and not been able to tell. She thinks they are all monks who torture themselves. If he was going to stretch that far from Opus Dei he should have made up a group.

I think the Cardinal's concern is for those who are not well educated in the church. It makes them weak, and even if it wasn't Brown's intention it opens a door for the devil. If I would have read that book when I was struggling with my faith I probably would have latched onto its controversial "truths".

I read the book, because I knew others, who had studied little religion, were going to be reading it. I wanted to be able to show them the holes in the story. I would not recommend it to anyone, and am worried that know they've come out with an edition that has pictures (probably so more people would read it). We also must remember that when we buy these books we are supporting anti-Catholic artists, and we are showing book publishers that people want more of these type of books.

Colleen

Upvote 0

Bible Addict

Aug 9, 2004
✟8,539.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Metanoia02 said:
Just like Jack Chick Tracts filled with anti-Catholicism? It's the same stuff just with a different coating so it goes down easier.

You were one of those people who pushed for Harry Potter to be banned too, weren't you? Come on.. be honest!

Reactions: Annabel Lee
Upvote 0

Bible Addict

Aug 9, 2004
✟8,539.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Miss Shelby said:
I don't think the point is so much whether or not the author claims the book is based on facts and then elaborates with his own imagination.

The point is, even though it's pointed out that it's fiction, many a gullible folk are going to lap it down as if there is some validity to it. Just like many folks did when they picked up the Left Behind books for the first time.

And come on... even if it is 'based loosely on facts' the guy sure has a WILD imagination to get where he went from the supposed 2 facts he started out with.

Michelle

So? Most authors have wild imaginations... that's what makes them good authors! Who ares if some people take it as fact? There's always someone who's going take something the wrong way. Is that any reason to boycott the book?

Upvote 0

Paul S

Salve, regina, mater misericordiæ
Sep 12, 2004
Louisville, KY
✟17,194.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
faerieeva said:
He claims the priory of Sion has existed, which is true. He doesn't claim the truth of the documents of the priory which state them as an organisation that's been running under cover for centuries. The existence he claims is the one of this century, plus the existence of the documents. The truth of these documents which detail the history of the organisation is never claimed.

There's a statement at the beginning of the book which says something like "although this story is fiction, all documents are accurate"

Cosmic Charlie said:
So is Bush's Social Security policy, what are we gonna do, put that on the index ?

Censorship has failed in every incarnation it has had.

Bush's Social Security policy, whether one agrees with it or not, is not a danger to faith and morals. Nobody will go to hell for supporting it or not supporting it.

And the Index could be brought back as a list of books Catholics should not read. I don't think the Church, even if she wanted to, could censor books these days.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Bible Addict said:
So? Most authors have wild imaginations... that's what makes them good authors! Who ares if some people take it as fact? There's always someone who's going take something the wrong way. Is that any reason to boycott the book?
Bible Addict,

This is just me, and I in no way want to impose my personal opinion on you. But, there are certain things that I hold sacred. One of those things is the Incarnation. When I hear of lunacy such as the Incarnation had relations with Mary Magdalene... then... and I want to be clear that this is just my view... I will summarily dismiss such nonsense as worthless whether it holds the title by some as 'a good work of fiction and a good read' or not.

Just because I don't want to read it does not mean that I think you shouldn't or that it should be pulled from bookstores. I don't think it belongs in Christian bookstores, but that is just my opinion.

Michelle

Upvote 0

faerieevaH

lucky wife
Dec 27, 2003
USA
✟28,950.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
hannabl said:
Just realised now that I must have sounded extremly rude (read some books...), I'm sorry. It happens sometimes since I'm not always sure how to express myself in english... :blush: If it had been Swedish I wouldn't have made that mistake:doh:

As for Plantard not confirming the truth behind his claims, well I haven't studied the Mervingic but I'd say his right to the throne (which is gone now...) is zero! A lot of people play with the idea that they are the heir of a king, but that doesn't mean that they need to state that they're in fact not for the claim to be false!

*L* No reason to feel bad about that. I understood you didn't mean any offence. I'm not English either and I've probably sounded a lot more rude. Oh, and I do agree with you that Plantards claim is false. He might have believed it himself, although even that isn't sure, but the dynasty lines and family trees he made were not reliable.

Upvote 0

Bible Addict

Aug 9, 2004
✟8,539.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Miss Shelby said:
Bible Addict,

This is just me, and I in no way want to impose my personal opinion on you. But, there are certain things that I hold sacred. One of those things is the Incarnation. When I hear of lunacy such as the Incarnation had relations with Mary Magdalene... then... and I want to be clear that this is just my view... I will summarily dismiss such nonsense as worthless whether it holds the title by some as 'a good work of fiction and a good read' or not.

Michelle

Fair enough :)

Upvote 0

colleen

We are an Easter people!
Mar 8, 2002
✟21,098.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I thought the Cardinal was talking about Catholic bookstores not selling the book, and not all bookstores. Frankily, if I saw a Catholic bookstore selling the Da Vinci Code I would turn around and walk out the door. I wouldn't trust a Catholic store who sold that book to have theology books that were true to the Magesterium.

Bible Addict- There is a difference between disaggreement and being Anti-Catholic.

Colleen

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.