Cardinal Müller: "Bishops who betray their divine mission to avoid being accused of "proselytism" forget the purpose and reason of their own existence

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,677,288.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Cardinal Gerhard Ludwig Müller in Il Timone-The Magisterium of the Church, authentic interpreter of the Word of God, is not superior to it, but is at its service.

The Apostolic Succession continues to be the link of necessary historical identity with the Church of the Apostles, with the role of primacy of the successor of Peter.

Without Christ there is no Church

A Church that does not believe in Christ is no longer the Church of Christ. Bishops who betray their divine mission to avoid being accused of "proselytism" forget the purpose and reason of their own existence. In fact, the bishops appointed by the Holy Spirit to "shepherd the Church of God" (Acts 20:28) are none other than the legitimate successors of the Apostles (cf. I Letter of Clement, 42-44), to whom the Risen Lord said: "'As the Father has sent me, so I send you.' And having said this, he breathed on them and said to them: 'Receive the Holy Spirit; whose sins you forgive, they are forgiven; to whom you retain, they remain retained'” (Jn 20, 21 ff). Bishops and theologians who have forgotten that only in Christ have we been given the fullness of grace and truth should rediscover conversion with the words of Paul: "If I still pleased men, I would not be a servant of Christ. I let you know, brothers, that the Gospel announced by me is not of human origin; for I have not received nor learned it from any man, but by revelation of Jesus Christ” (Gal 1:10 ff.).

Only because Christ has revealed himself as “the way, the truth, and the life” (Jn 14:6), can the “Church of the living God” be the “pillar and foundation of truth” in the Holy Spirit (1 Tim 3, fifteen). The "truth of the Gospel" (Gal 2:14), which Paul was forced to defend even before Peter, is not the expression of the changing spirit of the times according to Hegel's theory of dialectical-processual development. The truth that the Church proclaims and witnesses is the person and work of Christ. In Him the insurmountable newness of God and the fullness of his truth have irreversibly reached the world (cf. Irenaeus of Lyon, Adversus haereses, IV, 34.1). That is why believers in Christ are taught: “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever. Do not let yourselves be carried away by complicated and strange doctrines” (Heb 13:8-9).

Bishops in the Apostolic Succession as servants of the truth of Christ

Continued below.