capital punishment in America

death penalty?

• yay

• nay

Results are only viewable after voting.
E

explodingboy

can studies that show the death penalty is actually a deterrent to crime be trusted or validated?

none that I know off, a lot that suggest it has no impact at all on crime levels though.

what about The Bible's OT law, an eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth?

I'd of thought the whole turn the other cheek being NT overrules the OT, well unless your Jewish.

Upvote 0
E

explodingboy

i don't really consider this to be a moral or acceptable argument..but what about the people who say that it costs more to house lifers in prison than it is just to do away with them? o_O

I'm pretty sure the Death Row inmates actually cost more to keep, especially with the added appeals and such.

Most people that talk about it cheaper tend to mutter about rope and trees, and a far more ... vigilante, system of law enforcement than actually exists.

Upvote 0
T

trentlogain2

i don't agree with a lot of Bill O-Reilly's opinions. (at least the way he speaks them), but I think the USA should use space in Alaska to house the most heinous criminals and force them to hard labor. (the ones who are clinically seen fit to actually do the work).

the rest i think should be executed (if they are found guilty of murder and the jury decides that should be their fate.)

Upvote 0

MacFall

Agorist
Nov 24, 2007
Western Pennsylvania, USA
✟25,688.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I do not disagree in principle with capital punishment for unrepentant murderers where guilt is proven. But I do not under any circumstances trust the state with the power to kill. So my answer is no. People should be encouraged to work in their neighborhoods to prevent, and when need calls for it, to defend themselves against violence. Today, they are encouraged rather to expect the state to make the world safe from violence, and then to punish the violent when they fail to do so. And fail they will, consistently and deeply.

Upvote 0

Obzocky

Senior Contributor
Dec 24, 2009
Rain Land
✟33,236.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
From a purely personal perspective it doesn't sit right with me. I can see the reasonings, but it's something I cannot agree with. It doesn't feel right to me.

The costs are an issue outside of morality, that's a finance issue which if used as a deciding factor in the argument for capital punishment takes someone who can deal with such things in a cold, business like manner. It may make sense financially, but it would make me feel rather queasy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
E

explodingboy

context, context, context.

oh I know, I wasn't really intending for verses, more of a theme related comment.

The OT is the law it's all crime and punishment, NT is the fulfilling of the law hence why the Aussies get to have their shrimp, and everyone else has haircuts.

Alternatively, we can just throw the bible out the window (figuratively, no offense meant) and point to the fact the OT would only apply to a theocracy, rather than the secular democratic system we actually live under.

Upvote 0

Wren

Dec 19, 2006
PNW
✟33,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I'm against capital punishment. Our justice system (in the US) is extremely flawed and I don't trust the process to be done properly. Too often the ones who end up executed are poor people who couldn't afford fancy attorneys. Oh, and let's not forget those lovely stories we occasionally hear about juries that will toss a coin over guilt or innocence just to get home early. I also don't think the government should be deciding who should live and who should die.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

radhead

Contributor
Feb 20, 2006
✟63,827.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I don't know.

I heard a conservative Christian talk show host discussing this the other day. (I don't know who it was, sorry.) He said that there have been many people on death row who were later proved innocent due to DNA evidence.

His opinion was, because, in some of these cases, we cannot be certain that the right person is being sentenced. Therefore, the death penalty cannot be supported.

Reactions: Wren
Upvote 0

CoachR64

Awesome, with a side order of amazing
Jul 2, 2007
Oklahoma City, OK
✟25,977.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I am for the death penalty and believe it should be mandatory in specific crimes. The prison system in this country is crap. Life without parole is the dumbest possible punishment man could conceive. If the person is deemed unworthy to ever be returned to society, then why do we lock them in a cage?

I believe we should rehabilitate and train those who are deemed worthy to be released to society and put to death all of those who are deemed unworthy to ever be released.

In the case first degree murder and rape/molestation of a child (this is different from statutory rape) I think the death penalty should be mandatory upon conviction. Give the person 1 year for an expedited appeal and to get their affairs in order than flip the switch.

Coach

Upvote 0

Historicus

Follower of Jesus Christ
Apr 20, 2005
Ohio
✟55,435.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
what about The Bible's OT law, an eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth?

Jesus said...

38 "You have heard that it was said, "An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.' 39 But I say to you, Do not resist an evildoer. But if anyone strikes you on the right cheek, turn the other also; 40 and if anyone wants to sue you and take your coat, give your cloak as well; 41 and if anyone forces you to go one mile, go also the second mile. 42 Give to everyone who begs from you, and do not refuse anyone who wants to borrow from you. 43 "You have heard that it was said, "You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' 44 But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 so that you may be children of your Father in heaven; for he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the righteous and on the unrighteous. - St. Matthew 5:38-45

Upvote 0
E

explodingboy

i didn't know they had a firing squad as a method of execution still in the US.

I believe it's only 1 state now that still does, the one in the news was the last for that state, as he picked his method of execution before the rules changed, from what I've read in a few other places.

i wouldn't want to see it happen, but i think it's possible that one day some whacked out law maker will introduce something that allows state executions to be televised to the national public.

oh you don't have to look to hard to find people who think public hanging would help improve communities.

edit: i did not say exploding boy's post above this one. i promise. =/

yeah, I'm on a bit of a role this morning, but that's what happen when I'm still wide awake at 2am.

Upvote 0
T

trentlogain2

Jesus said...

38 "You have heard that it was said, "An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.' 39 But I say to you, Do not resist an evildoer. But if anyone strikes you on the right cheek, turn the other also; 40 and if anyone wants to sue you and take your coat, give your cloak as well; 41 and if anyone forces you to go one mile, go also the second mile. 42 Give to everyone who begs from you, and do not refuse anyone who wants to borrow from you. 43 "You have heard that it was said, "You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' 44 But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 so that you may be children of your Father in heaven; for he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the righteous and on the unrighteous. - St. Matthew 5:38-45
one question: do you think every commandment and law given by God in the OT is null and void now?

Upvote 0