Conneticut
✟15,174.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I went outtf to easyter mass yesterday mornin with my hubby and daughter. Well, just as Fr. Lucas was giving the homily a kid behind me starts yeling! Now I know kids are like that/. whatever.

But when it's for ten minutes it just mkakes me cringe! I can't stand it. I love kids dont get me wrong... but it becomes a point where they just need to leave for a few minutes. I'd feel embaressed if it was me.

Was a beautiful mass tho. What do you all think?:cool:

Eucharisted

Nov 24, 2009
United States
✟8,761.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I think just as we shouldn't let distractions during prayer get to us, we shouldn't let distractions during the sacraments get to us. We should focus on God and let Him take care of the situation for us. The Lord wants to and He can take care of the situation and we must trust in Him, after all.

Upvote 0

GrannyHope

This Granny Can Rock!
Nov 15, 2009
Conneticut
✟15,174.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think just as we shouldn't let distractions during prayer get to us, we shouldn't let distractions during the sacraments get to us. We should focus on God and let Him take care of the situation for us. The Lord wants to and He can take care of the situation and we must trust in Him, after all.

i just think its irritating that parents let their kids run wild while everyones trying to listen to mass. i dont mean the occasional cry or whine i mean screaming so loud my hearing aids are almost breaking. I love kids like I said.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,138,108.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I think there are two solutions to this.

If a Mass filled with children really keeps you from concentrating on prayer, then you should try to attend Masses where there will be few children (early Sunday morning is a good idea.)

If there are any children at early Sunday morning Masses, they will come from families who run them like boot camps, and they won't get out of line.

When my children were growing up, we never, ever went to a Mass that started before 10 a.m.

The other solution is using a church where there are cry rooms and where families feel comfortable using them. I know that some parents want their children to learn to behave, but they should be willing to use the cry room as a backup.

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,309,853.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
As a wearer of bilateral hearing aids I understand GrannyHope's comment
i dont mean the occasional cry or whine i mean screaming so loud my hearing aids are almost breaking.

This sort of screaming causes us physical pain :( I have tried to explain to parents in the past and the comment is frequently -' that's your problem ' and in a way I can understand . BUT no child should be allowed to behave like this - do they scream like that at home ? If they do why ?

If they don't - why should they be permitted to scream like that in other places .

It's not impossible to teach a child that behaviour like this is unacceptable . If the child does have a problem all well and good - but please take them out till the screaming has stopped OR - preferably - spot the problem building up and before the child gets to the screaming stage deal with it by using diversionary tactics

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,770,492.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As a wearer of bilateral hearing aids I understand GrannyHope's comment

This sort of screaming causes us physical pain :( I have tried to explain to parents in the past and the comment is frequently -' that's your problem ' and in a way I can understand . BUT no child should be allowed to behave like this - do they scream like that at home ? If they do why ?

If they don't - why should they be permitted to scream like that in other places .

It's not impossible to teach a child that behaviour like this is unacceptable . If the child does have a problem all well and good - but please take them out till the screaming has stopped OR - preferably - spot the problem building up and before the child gets to the screaming stage deal with it by using diversionary tactics
I agree.

A lot of people fail to understand that those with hearing aids really struggle with these sort of issues.

It does not mean they do not like kids.

Upvote 0