Resi
✟24,557.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I was baptized the catholic way, but I was told it is no good. It has got to be done the right way, a full immersion.

I wan't to recieve the spirit of the Lord but I don't know anyone who can baptize me that way. Should I do the catholic sacrament of confirmation (I think), I have the 1st communion.

What should I do. I feel I in stuck in a rut.

Thanks.

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I was baptized the catholic way, but I was told it is no good. It has got to be done the right way, a full immersion.

I wan't to recieve the spirit of the Lord but I don't know anyone who can baptize me that way. Should I do the catholic sacrament of confirmation (I think), I have the 1st communion.

Thanks.
I seriously disagree with whoever told you that. You shouldn't be rebaptized. The Spirit of God is not restricted from you based on being baptized as an infant vs believer's baptism. The Holy Spirit blows where He wills. He isn't limited to dwelling in those who are baptized as adults. If you want the indwelling of the Spirit of God, just ask for Him to dwell in you.

Would your church accept a public declaration of faith to supplement your baptism?

Upvote 0

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian

Thanks.

The receiving of the Holy Spirit is not a matter of ceremony.

"children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God.children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God." John 1:13

Upvote 0

Lord'sWarrior

Jan 14, 2017
Resi
✟24,557.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I seriously disagree with your church. You shouldn't be rebaptized. The Spirit of God is not restricted from you based on being baptized as an infant vs believer's baptism. The Holy Spirit blows where He wills. He isn't limited to dwelling in those who are baptized as adults. If you want the indwelling of the Spirit of God, just ask for Him to dwell in you.
But I feel the need to confess my sins also. I'm desperate. What should one do? I have asked for the spirit but I find nothing but fear and travail.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
But I feel the need to confess my sins also. I'm desperate. What should one do? I have asked for the spirit but I find nothing but fear and travail.
Can you confess in the Catholic Church? Your faith label says Non-denominational. Most non-denomination also I am familiar with do not have confession. The Catholic Church though certainly has confession.

Alternatively, perhaps you could get an accountability partner?

Upvote 0

Lord'sWarrior

Jan 14, 2017
Resi
✟24,557.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Can you confess in the Catholic Church? Your faith label says Non-denominational. Most non-denomination also I am familiar with do not have confession. The Catholic Church though certainly has confession.

Alternatively, perhaps you could get an accountability partner?
I have put non-denominational because I do not practice the catholic faith, although I'm baptized and have the 1st communion done as a child. My sins are very bad. I am also afraid. This is a very small community where I live, although the priest cannot divulge what is said.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I have put non-denominational because I do not practice the catholic faith, although I'm baptized and have the 1st communion done as a child. My sins are very bad. I am also afraid. This is a very small community where I live, although the priest cannot divulge what is said.

My advice is to confess to the local priest. As you said, he cannot divulge it to anyone. Once we confess our sins, we are cleaned from our sin. I recommend partaking of the Eucharist as well. Make sure to confess first though if you partake at the Catholic Church. Remember, the Eucharist is medicine for our soul as well.

Upvote 0

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Thanks.

You receive the Holy Spirit when you forsake sin and trust in Jesus Christ, when He does the work of transformation removing your heart of stone and giving you a heart of flesh. It is not when you get physically baptized. Baptism is not required for salvation (ala. the repentant thief on the cross). Physical baptism is a symbol of the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, and a public profession of faith in Jesus Christ, and following in obedience to Him.

There are no explicit examples of infant baptism in the Bible, since an infant has no way to profess faith in Jesus Christ. Nor [Roman Catholic] Confirmation, nor First Communion, as a means of bestowing extra merit as taught by the Roman Catholic church. You are eligible to partake in the Lord's Supper if you have repented of sin and are trusting in Jesus Christ, but again, there is nothing in the Lord's Supper that sacramentally bestows extra grace or merit as Rome falsely teaches.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Thanks.

The question of whether or not to pursue confirmation isn't a light one that should be put to strangers on an Internet forum.

Being Orthodox, we have some major differences with Catholicism, and so if you were someone I knew, right here with me, I would suggest you take some time, I'd introduce you to our priest, and try to help along the way.

But if you decide to pursue Confirmation in the Catholic Church, that needs to be something you discuss with a Catholic priest. I don't know what the requirements are, but it's not a light step to take. I think you should be at least somewhat purposeful. The Sacraments make this a more important decision than a Methodist person who wakes up one day and decides to go to a Nazarene church.

And while we teach full immersion (triple immersion in fact) in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, we also recognize that a baptism done in the name of the Trinity is a baptism. In the Didache, which is an early writing of how the Apostles taught certain things to do in the Church, iirc, it talks about baptism preferred to be immersion, but if that's not possible, pouring will do. The water should be "living" ... i.e. moving and not stagnant, but if that nit possible, still water will do. It even says if there is no water available, one can be baptized with sand, if it's the only option.

So I don't think you need to be re-baptized. But learning the details of faith and making decisions going forward is a very good thing. :)

And even if you are not in a position to sacramentally Confess, talking with a priest can help.

God be with you!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lord'sWarrior

Jan 14, 2017
Resi
✟24,557.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
My advice is to confess to the local priest. As you said, he cannot divulge it to anyone. Once we confess our sins, we are cleaned from our sin. I recommend partaking of the Eucharist as well. Make sure to confess first though if you partake at the Catholic Church. Remember, the Eucharist is medicine for our soul as well.

Thank you.
I will do that. I will gather the courage and put away the shame and guilt.
Do you know any verses of confession from scripture?
I was looking around on the site through the tablet and counldn't find the place to change "non-denominational" to "catholic" faith.
Thnks.

Upvote 0

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The Bible teaches you confess and repent of your sins directly to God, not to another sinful human being. Confession is not enough, since confession means telling the truth. You must also turn from sin, that is repentance.

God does not give a spirit of fear for those who are in Christ. Nor is salvation or the work of the Holy Spirit based in feelings.

Upvote 0

Lord'sWarrior

Jan 14, 2017
Resi
✟24,557.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The question of whether or not to pursue confirmation isn't a light one that should be put to strangers on an Internet forum.

Being Orthodox, we have some major differences with Catholicism, and so if you were someone I knew, right here with me, I would suggest you take some time, I'd introduce you to our priest, and try to help along the way.

But if you decide to pursue Confirmation in the Catholic Church, that needs to be something you discuss with a Catholic priest. I don't know what the requirements are, but it's not a light step to take. I think you should be at least somewhat purposeful. The Sacraments make this a more important decision than a Methodist person who wakes up one day and decides to go to a Nazarene church.

And while we teach full immersion (triple immersion in fact) in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, we also recognize that a baptism done in the name of the Trinity is a baptism. In the Didache, which is an early writing of how the Apostles taught certain things to do in the Church, iirc, it talks about baptism preferred to be immersion, but if that's not possible, pouring will do. The water should be "living" ... i.e. moving and not stagnant, but if that nit possible, still water will do. It even says if there is no water available, one can be baptized with sand, if it's the only option.

So I don't think you need to be re-baptized. But learning the details of faith and making decisions going forward is a very good thing. :)

And even if you are not in a position to sacramentally Confess, talking with a priest can help.

God be with you!

Thank you.

And bless you all.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thank you.
I was looking around on the site through the tablet and counldn't find the place to change "non-denominational" to "catholic" faith.
Thnks.
And by the way, you will need administrative help to change your faith icon. You can start a thread in the Members Service Center, but I will let them know your request as well.

If you go to the MSC it will appear to be empty. That's because you only see your own posts there.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thank you.
Thnks.

I'm heading out right now, but I will do that for you as soon as I can :) It is a wonderful feeling after confession. I always don't look forward to it, but am always grateful afterwards.

Upvote 0

T.C

Jan 17, 2017
United States
✟16,691.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

Thanks.

We should always distinguish the different baptisms. Water baptism is not the baptism of the Holy Spirit. If you were baptized in a Catholic church that believes their official doctrine of salvation, then you should be baptized again if you have truly come to christ.

Upvote 0