God is the Father and Jesus is His son.
Apr 7, 2011
Canada
✟708.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just curious if anyone else is in my position. My beliefs do not 100% line up with any denomination. I seem to agree/disagree with each of them in some way. I'm not sure which church to attend because although they may line up to what I believe in one area, they don't in another.

My biggest conflict is where I stand as far as the Rapture (I am a POST-Trib believer) and most, if not all, denominations are PRE-Trib. The other issue I have is church discipline; there just doesn't seem to be any. And another issue is the gifts of the Spirit; I believe they are still for today and many denominations do not believe this.

I don't want to forsake meeting with believers, because the Bible says not to, but at the same time, I do not feel 100% comfortable attending a church that teaches against what I believe the Bible teaches. It is difficult for me to feel united with these believers.

Anyone else in this predicament? Any advice?

Reactions: psalms 91

CoconutPrincess

Apr 7, 2011
Canada
✟708.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
do you know that there is no perfect church
do not go to denomination church go to the non denomination church

I'm not talking about a perfect church, I'm talking about teachings/doctrines etc.

For some, they agree 100% with all that is taught by their denomination, so for them, the teachings/doctrines etc. are perfect.

I cannot seem to find a denomination that I can 100% agree with their teachings/doctrines etc.

Upvote 0

abysmul

Board Game Hobbyist
Jun 17, 2008
Almost Heaven
✟60,490.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It is really difficult, but I agree that a non-denom congregation is what you want to find; one that teaches what you believe as far as Biblical salvation dependent doctrine... and one that will accept differences of opinion on things like how the end times (tribulation) will play out.

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Just curious if anyone else is in my position. My beliefs do not 100% line up with any denomination. I seem to agree/disagree with each of them in some way. I'm not sure which church to attend because although they may line up to what I believe in one area, they don't in another.

My biggest conflict is where I stand as far as the Rapture (I am a POST-Trib believer) and most, if not all, denominations are PRE-Trib. The other issue I have is church discipline; there just doesn't seem to be any. And another issue is the gifts of the Spirit; I believe they are still for today and many denominations do not believe this.

I don't want to forsake meeting with believers, because the Bible says not to, but at the same time, I do not feel 100% comfortable attending a church that teaches against what I believe the Bible teaches. It is difficult for me to feel united with these believers.

It isn't common for people to find they are 100% agreement with every aspect of a denomination. I agree it can be a tough search. What I did was find the points of a denomination I held in the highest importance, such as communion and salvation belief, and follow that.

Upvote 0

CoconutPrincess

Apr 7, 2011
Canada
✟708.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is really difficult, but I agree that a non-denom congregation is what you want to find; one that teaches what you believe as far as Biblical salvation dependent doctrine... and one that will accept differences of opinion on things like how the end times (tribulation) will play out.

That's a difficult one, although it is the best way to go about this I think. I live in a village, there isn't much to choose from lol and there isn't a non-denominational church.

Upvote 0

CoconutPrincess

Apr 7, 2011
Canada
✟708.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It isn't common for people to find they are 100% agreement with every aspect of a denomination. I agree it can be a tough search. What I did was find the points of a denomination I held in the highest importance, such as communion and salvation belief, and follow that.

This makes sense... the church I attend now is the closest to what I believe in my village, but still has some areas that are hard for me to accept, especially about the Rapture. They are not preparing for the Tribulation, my family is, so when I talk about preparing, they look at me like I have two heads lol I'll just have to hush up I guess :)

Thank you!

Upvote 0

BryanW92

Hey look, it's a squirrel!
May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm not talking about a perfect church, I'm talking about teachings/doctrines etc.

For some, they agree 100% with all that is taught by their denomination, so for them, the teachings/doctrines etc. are perfect.

I cannot seem to find a denomination that I can 100% agree with their teachings/doctrines etc.

The New Testament wasn't written like a code of laws for a reason. Jesus gave us the two commandments and everything else is just doctrine. Each of has their own theology and it seems that no two have the exact same. So, remember that you go to church to worship God with other believers in God, not in doctrine.

My advice is to find a church that is similar to your theology and go worship there. And don't get bogged down in eschatology! What is going to happen will happen and there is nothing that you can I can do to change it. Just be prepared in your heart for whatever is to come. Rejoice in what you share with other worshippers and ignore the doctrinal differences. You will not find a church that is 100% in agreement with you (although you may find that over time, your beliefs will change to agree with your church).

Upvote 0

CoconutPrincess

Apr 7, 2011
Canada
✟708.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The New Testament wasn't written like a code of laws for a reason. Jesus gave us the two commandments and everything else is just doctrine. Each of has their own theology and it seems that no two have the exact same. So, remember that you go to church to worship God with other believers in God, not in doctrine.

My advice is to find a church that is similar to your theology and go worship there. And don't get bogged down in eschatology! What is going to happen will happen and there is nothing that you can I can do to change it. Just be prepared in your heart for whatever is to come. Rejoice in what you share with other worshippers and ignore the doctrinal differences. You will not find a church that is 100% in agreement with you (although you may find that over time, your beliefs will change to agree with your church).

Thanks for the advice!

Upvote 0

AServantofGod

Apr 7, 2013
✟7,673.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I understand your concerns. I have had the same issues as you have had. Maybe different issues but the same concerns. I know how it feels when you attend a church and you actually would have had more of a relationship with the Lord by just reading his word at home instead of going to church.

The "Church" is not a building. The church is a group of believers. I have found for me that meeting in small home churches was the best for me. It is a lot more interment than a huge church. With this type of fellowship everyone understands that people have different views but that is the joy of such a fellowship as each share how they understand it and then they sharpen each other during the dialogue. This is not saying that we always agree, but as one wise man told me

Eat up the mean and spit out the Bones.

I meet with different groups different nights of the week. One of those nights is a Skype group with people from Arizona, Colorado, Indiana and Florida. They are there so don't give up hope. Find those that you can fellowship with and create the group yourself if you have to. What ever you do, how ever you go - Keep your relationship with the Lord in the forefront. Pray and read often.

Good Luck

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

strelok0017

_______
Sep 23, 2011
✟13,640.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I think that the perfect doctrine should not be the main reason we should join the Church. We need Christlikeness and that's what the world needs from us. Others gave good advice. Also, try to avoid churches where people fight and quarrel over every bit of doctrine. Such people are looking for themselves, not the spiritual benefit of others. Be where you can grow, love others and God and be safe on the narrow way.

Upvote 0

Aibrean

Honest. Maybe too Honest.
Mar 18, 2007
Xenia, Ohio
Visit site
✟23,379.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I suggest you post in this forum: http://www.christianforums.com/f680/ (looking for a church)

Post-tribulation is actually quite a common view (along with amillennialism, which is very similar). I think it is called historic premillennialism.

I'm not sure what all denominations follow it, however.

As for gifts of the HS, do you mean tongues? Most denominations believe the gifts still exist, but tongues were meant for spreading the gospel to the world before there were means of translations. I do know Charismatic and Pentecostal churches believe in tongues (however their meaning is as I see it - you aren't saved unless you exhibit having them).

Upvote 0

CoconutPrincess

Apr 7, 2011
Canada
✟708.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I understand your concerns. I have had the same issues as you have had. Maybe different issues but the same concerns. I know how it feels when you attend a church and you actually would have had more of a relationship with the Lord by just reading his word at home instead of going to church.

The "Church" is not a building. The church is a group of believers. I have found for me that meeting in small home churches was the best for me. It is a lot more interment than a huge church. With this type of fellowship everyone understands that people have different views but that is the joy of such a fellowship as each share how they understand it and then they sharpen each other during the dialogue. This is not saying that we always agree, but as one wise man told me

Eat up the mean and spit out the Bones.

I meet with different groups different nights of the week. One of those nights is a Skype group with people from Arizona, Colorado, Indiana and Florida. They are there so don't give up hope. Find those that you can fellowship with and create the group yourself if you have to. What ever you do, how ever you go - Keep your relationship with the Lord in the forefront. Pray and read often.

Good Luck

Thanks so much, I appreciate your advice and I love the idea of the Skype group :)

Upvote 0

CoconutPrincess

Apr 7, 2011
Canada
✟708.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I suggest you post in this forum: http://www.christianforums.com/f680/ (looking for a church)

Post-tribulation is actually quite a common view (along with amillennialism, which is very similar). I think it is called historic premillennialism.

I'm not sure what all denominations follow it, however.

As for gifts of the HS, do you mean tongues? Most denominations believe the gifts still exist, but tongues were meant for spreading the gospel to the world before there were means of translations. I do know Charismatic and Pentecostal churches believe in tongues (however their meaning is as I see it - you aren't saved unless you exhibit having them).

Thanks so much... yes, tongues. I believe that people are gifted this way today, but I do not agree that it is for everyone, as it is a gift and not all have the same gifts and I do not believe it is a sign of salvation, again it is a gift after salvation.

All I hear around here is PRE-trib views... it's very difficult at times!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PROPHECYKID

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The pre-trib rapture is a huge deception and I would not advise you to attend any church which teaches this. It also opens the door to the false teachings. Check out the churches that do not teach a pre-tribulation rapture. The internet is an excellent resource.

Upvote 0

PROPHECYKID

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks so much... yes, tongues. I believe that people are gifted this way today, but I do not agree that it is for everyone, as it is a gift and not all have the same gifts and I do not believe it is a sign of salvation, again it is a gift after salvation.

All I hear around here is PRE-trib views... it's very difficult at times!

And yes the gifts of the spirit are for today. When speaking on tongues specifically, I believe the issue is the misunderstanding of what this gift is all about. Paul said that if you speak in an unknown tongue, you should keep silent in the church unless there is an interpreter. In many of the Charismatic churches, there is no interpreter and no one understands what anyone is saying. So then they teach that this is a special language to communicate with God but there is not a single scripture which actually teaches this.

As someone mentioned before, the gift of tongues is meant to overcome the language barriers which currently exist in order the spread the gospel. There are examples of this gift existing today. I heard a testimony by this preacher and he was saying he went to Africa to do an evangelistic series, they speak a couple different languages in that particular area and he had an interpreter who know these languages and would translate for him. Interpreter feel really sick when they got there and he prayed that God would bestow upon his the gift. Next thing you know, he was able to speak in all the different languages and conducted his evangelistic series. This is what the gift is really about.

Upvote 0
Apr 14, 2011
✟9,428.00
Faith
Christian
... I do know Charismatic and Pentecostal churches believe in tongues (however their meaning is as I see it - you aren't saved unless you exhibit having them).

When I check out a church, I observe what I would be doing for the rest of my life. I wouldn't want to spend too much time trying to convince a totally deprived unable unregenerates to do something they can't do. I would rather spend the rest of my life doing what Elects do, worship.

Upvote 0