Can you point me to the right thread or just tell me ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

White St*r

This little light of mine ...
Jul 3, 2005
Pretoria
✟17,568.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I there fellow believers. :)

I don't belong to any denomination, but I would like to know what everyone (denominations) believe in and what makes them that little bit different (special) than other denominations ....

So I was wondering if there was a well answered thread were someone have asked this questions before, or if you know all the in's and outs of your denomination, could you please tell me about it so that I can learn.

I want to know that if a person says he is a Pentecostal, then it means he believes this and this and this, and he doesn't believe that and that and that ....

I would really like to learn a bit more of you. Thanks allot.

Oh yes, I was wondering if Pentecostal and Charismatic is the same thing, and if not what are the differences ... :)

W*S

Father Rick

Peace be with you
Jun 23, 2004
Sitting at this computer
Visit site
✟21,921.00
Country
Thailand
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Private
I don't know if such a thread exists...

As to the differences between Pentecostal and Charismatic...

As a general rule, the Pentecostal denominations formed in the early 1900's mostly as an outgrowth of the Wesleyan Holiness movements of the time. Their traditions, styles of worship, etc. are reflective of that period in time. Many also tend to focus on things such as style of dress, hair, etc. as a means of maintaining their 'distinctive'-- in other words, if you dress like someone from the early 1900's (long hair for women, no pants for women, etc) then you 'fit' with their views.

As to Charismatics-- in the 60's and 70's many Christians from a wide variety of denominations came into "the fullness of the Spirit" (different terms are used to describe that). Many of these believers stayed in the churches they were already in, some left and formed new denominations. These groups reflect a much greater variety in style than the Pentecostal churches. As a rule, these groups are also much less concerned with things such as hair and dress.

Upvote 0

mortsmune

Veteran
Jun 17, 2005
Oklahoma
Visit site
✟9,257.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I would like to add that there is a Pentecostal denomination which did not come out of the same tradition as either of the groups that Father Rick mentioned. It is the International Church of the Foursquare Gospel. It shares many of the doctrines of other Pentecostal churches, most like the Assemblies of God, but it was founded in the 1920s and does not have the holiness connection. It is not well known in many parts of the United States, but in the Third World mission field, it is the fastest growing of all religious movements, even Islam. It was founded by a woman named Aimee Semple McPherson, who was a very charismatic and colorful character and also quite controversial. However the doctrine of the denomination is quite conservative Christian/Pentecostal. The basic beliefs are summed up in this: Jesus Christ is the Savior, Baptizer with the Holy Spirit, the Healer, and Soon-Coming King (called the "foursquare gospel"). Many people may be familiar with Jack Hayford and the Church on the Way. He is a Foursquare minister and has just recently been made the president of the denomination. FYI.

Upvote 0

Br_Rhoades

Jan 5, 2005
Urbana IL (home of HAL)
✟493.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
mortsmune said:
I would like to add that there is a Pentecostal denomination which did not come out of the same tradition as either of the groups that Father Rick mentioned. It is the International Church of the Foursquare Gospel. It shares many of the doctrines of other Pentecostal churches, most like the Assemblies of God, but it was founded in the 1920s and does not have the holiness connection. It is not well known in many parts of the United States, but in the Third World mission field, it is the fastest growing of all religious movements, even Islam. It was founded by a woman named Aimee Semple McPherson, who was a very charismatic and colorful character and also quite controversial. However the doctrine of the denomination is quite conservative Christian/Pentecostal. The basic beliefs are summed up in this: Jesus Christ is the Savior, Baptizer with the Holy Spirit, the Healer, and Soon-Coming King (called the "foursquare gospel"). Many people may be familiar with Jack Hayford and the Church on the Way. He is a Foursquare minister and has just recently been made the president of the denomination. FYI.

I like Jack Hayford; this connection to foursquare Gospel was unclear to me. I must not have checked out the right sights. Not a problem – I have found that the foursquare can get soft on identification it is like there is some bad bit that they like to avoid talk

On another note the Church of God (CL TN). Came out of the Baptist tradition in the mid to late 1800’s. The Charismatic movement is Catholic based Pentecostal movements are not. Today many mainline Pentecostal organizations are now jumping over to this new Catholic tradition.

Upvote 0

mortsmune

Veteran
Jun 17, 2005
Oklahoma
Visit site
✟9,257.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I like Jack Hayford; this connection to foursquare Gospel was unclear to me. I must not have checked out the right sights. Not a problem – I have found that the foursquare can get soft on identification it is like there is some bad bit that they like to avoid talk
Well, there are a couple of reasons for that. The first one is that some people in the Foursquare denomination are concerned about the connection with Aimee Semple McPherson, the founder of the denomination. There were some controversial things about her life. They even made a TV movie about it back in the 70s. Some of the churches have downplayed the Foursquare name because of that. However, these days that is not such a big issue since there are fewer and fewer people around who remember "Sister" (that's what many of the old-time Foursquare people used to call her).

Another more important reason for the "softness on identification" is that the Foursquare denomination is probably the most "nondenominational" denomination that I am aware of. There is a great deal of variety of worship styles and philosophies in that denomination. You will find many congregations that are made up of people from different denominations, and many people from the Charismatic movement have become members of Foursquare churches. The denomination does not have a strong centralized government structure like many other denominations do, and that is likely to become more the case as time goes on.

Upvote 0

jlujan69

Jul 28, 2004
United States
✟5,360.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
mortsmune said:
Another more important reason for the "softness on identification" is that the Foursquare denomination is probably the most "nondenominational" denomination that I am aware of. There is a great deal of variety of worship styles and philosophies in that denomination. You will find many congregations that are made up of people from different denominations, and many people from the Charismatic movement have become members of Foursquare churches. The denomination does not have a strong centralized government structure like many other denominations do, and that is likely to become more the case as time goes on.

That is very true. My fellowship came out of Foursquare during the '80s. It's based in Prescott, AZ. Most who are in our church came from other denominations, though some grew up in it. I'm beginning to learn that our church gov't is different than other mainline denominations. This must be the Foursquare influence.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Godzchild

Jul 23, 2005
✟2,253.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I personally do not belong to a denomination. I do believe in the pentecostal experience, however I don't believe its necessary for salvation nor do I believe it to be the ONLY sign of the Holy Spirit.

What else? Ummmm I believe in the finished work on the cross. I believe that I am not under law but under Grace. Ummmm what else is there?

Can't think of anything else. Basically I'm a follower of Christ and that's about it. I dont' affiliate myself with any denomination or religion if I can help it...Christ didn't :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.