CAN YOU LOSE YOUR SALVATION AND ETERNAL LIFE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,469.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Clement of Rome:

“Whereas it is the will of God, that all whom he loves should partake of repentance, and so not perish with the unbelieving and impenitent, he has established it by his almighty will.’ But if any of those whom God wills should partake of the grace of repentance, should afterwards perish, where is his almighty will? And how is this matter settled and established by such a will of his?” (Ep. 1, ad Cor. p. 20).

Irenaeus:

“but the Spirit encompasses man within and without, as always abiding, and never leaves him,” (Iren. adv. Haeres. 1. 5, c. 12, p. 450; vide Fragm. Graec. ad Calcem Ireuaei.).

Origen:

“Our soul is enlightened either with the true light, which shall never be put out, which is Christ; or if it has not in it that light which is eternal, without doubt it is enlightened with a temporal and extinguishable light, by him who transforms himself into an angel of light,” (In Jud. homil.1, fol. 177, C; et in Malt. homil. 30, fol. 60, E.).

Athanasius:

“That phrase, as we are one, referring to John 17:11 means nothing else, than that the grace of the Spirit which the disciples had, might be never-failing and irrevocable,” (Contr. Arian. orat. 4, p. 477.).

“He received that the gift residing in him, grace might remain firm; for if men only had received, it was possible that it might be taken away again, which is shown in Adam, for what he received he lost; now that this grace might not he taken away, but be kept safe from men,’ therefore he made this gift his own, and says, that he received power as man, which he always had as God,” (contr. Arian. orat. 4, p. 490.).

Just a few.

I can’t find the quote you provided. Can you provide a link to your source or a citation of his writing?

However, I did find this. Clement says to the brethren if they don’t walk worthily of Christ their benefits will be turned into judgement. He even included himself in that statement when he said “to all of us”.

Look ye, brethren, lest His benefits, which are many, turn unto
judgment to all of us, if we walk not worthily of Him, and do those
things which are good and well pleasing in His sight with concord.

1Clem 21:2
For He saith in a certain place, The Spirit of the Lord is a lamp
searching the closets of the belly

1Clem 21:3
Let us see how near He is, and how that nothing escapeth Him of our
thoughts or our devices which we make.

1Clem 21:4
It is right therefore that we should not be deserters from His will.

1Clem 21:5
Let us rather give offense to foolish and senseless men who exalt
themselves and boast in the arrogance of their words, than to God.

1Clem 21:6
Let us fear the Lord Jesus [Christ], whose blood was given for us.
Let us reverence our rulers; let us honor our elders; let us instruct
our young men in the lesson of the fear of God. Let us guide our
women toward that which is good:

1Clem 21:7
let them show forth their lovely disposition of purity; let them
prove their sincere affection of gentleness; let them make manifest
the moderation of their tongue through their silence; let them show
their love, not in factious preferences but without partiality
towards all them that fear God, in holiness. Let our children be
partakers of the instruction which is in Christ:

1Clem 21:8
let them learn how lowliness of mind prevaileth with God, what power
chaste love hath with God, how the fear of Him is good and great and
saveth all them that walk therein in a pure mind with holiness.

1Clem 21:9
For He is the searcher out of the intents and desires; whose breath
is in us, and when He listeth, He shall take it away.

1Clem 22:1
Now all these things the faith which is in Christ confirmeth: for He
Himself through the Holy Spirit thus invite thus: Come, my
children, hearken unto Me, I will teach you the fear of the Lord.

1Clem 22:2
What man is he that desireth life and loveth to see good days?

1Clem 22:3
Make thy tongue to cease from evil, and thy lips that they speak no
guile.

1Clem 22:4
Turn aside from evil and do good.

1Clem 22:5
Seek peace and ensue it.

1Clem 22:6
The eyes of the Lord are over the righteous, and His ears are
turned to their prayers. But the face of the Lord is upon them that
do evil, to destroy their memorial from the earth.

Reactions: zoidar
Upvote 0

~Zao~

Wisdom’s child
Site Supporter
Jun 27, 2007
✟123,095.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Don't presume on being one of God's elect. We are commanded to make our calling and election sure.
I think that’s best done by removing self from the equation and realizing that God places the foreigners in with the elect. Pointing the finger at others and placing yokes on them is not kosher. Anyone who rests on the Lord and feeds on Him is qualified.

• Agree
Reactions: BNR32FAN
Upvote 0

faithonly

Aug 4, 2019
HARRISONVILLE
✟15,527.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Don't presume on being one of God's elect. We are commanded to make our calling and election sure.
I did that and have that assurance from the Holy Spirit - Are you saying there is more I need to do to be part of the elect - I thought Scripture says it is by faith alone.

Upvote 0

faithonly

Aug 4, 2019
HARRISONVILLE
✟15,527.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think that’s best done by removing self from the equation and realizing that God places the foreigners in with the elect. Pointing the finger at others and placing yokes on them is not kosher. Anyone who rests on the Lord and feeds on Him is qualified.

Thanks for that response - it makes me feel better - I am endeavoring to rest in the Lord without worrying about the yokes and burdens others and the Bible try to put on me.

Upvote 0

~Zao~

Wisdom’s child
Site Supporter
Jun 27, 2007
✟123,095.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thanks for that response - it makes me feel better - I am endeavoring to rest in the Lord without worrying about the yokes and burdens others and the Bible try to put on me.
Feed on Him, breath Him in, digest His word to you brought in by breathing and feeding, and seeing clear to illuminate that which needs to be sorted from principles and the stepping stones leading to them.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,469.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have no idea why you cut and pasted all this stuff for me.

So you can see for yourself the definition of the Greek word that is often mistranslated to the term “lifted up”. A google search will confirm the definition I provided by several different sources is valid.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,469.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I’m trying to understand what you mean here. What yokes are you referring to in the Bible?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.