✟60,078.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I didn't ask for a grammar lesson.

You needed the grammar lesson to be able to understand what the verse is actually saying.

And considering the word eternal was added to the verse hundreds of years after the verse was written makes the verse in it's current form spurious.

Evidence please.

Upvote 0

Hentenza

I will fear no evil for You are with me
Mar 27, 2007
On the bus to Heaven
✟60,078.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ive seen the evidence. If I can find it, you can find it.

I look forward to it.

Here are more verses about assurance of salvation.
John 10
27 My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me; 28 and I give eternal life to them, and they will never perish; and no one will snatch them out of My hand. 29 [d]My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father’s hand.

Upvote 0

ImaginaryDay

We Live Here
Mar 24, 2012
Fawlty Towers
✟30,199.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I didn't ask for a grammar lesson. It still doesn't answer what salvation is. And considering the word eternal was added to the verse hundreds of years after the verse was written makes the verse in it's current form spurious.

Even if 'eternal' was added later (and I look forward to your 'evidence', too), what other 'life' was he referring to? This one? We already have physical life. What other context could there be?

Upvote 0

jasonsloss

Christian
Jan 5, 2013
California
✟8,774.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
has anyone defended osas successfully yet? :p

Ephesians 1:13-14...
13 In Him you also who have heard the Word of Truth, the glad tidings (Gospel) of your salvation, and have believed in and adhered to and relied on Him, were stamped with the seal of the long-promised Holy Spirit.
14 That [Spirit] is the guarantee of our inheritance [the firstfruits, the pledge and foretaste, the down payment on our heritage], in anticipation of its full redemption and our acquiring [complete] possession of it—to the praise of His glory.

Upvote 0

Konyat

Sep 19, 2011
✟16,554.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
has anyone defended osas successfully yet? :p

I don't think I am here to defend OSAS, I am more to share it since it's the work of the Holy Spirit to convict people.
My conviction is with the clear message of the scripture that once saved God will do the keeping to keep the saved, saved til He comes.

Upvote 0
D

DiligentlySeekingGod

Ephesians 1:13-14...
13 In Him you also who have heard the Word of Truth, the glad tidings (Gospel) of your salvation, and have believed in and adhered to and relied on Him, were stamped with the seal of the long-promised Holy Spirit.
14 That [Spirit] is the guarantee of our inheritance [the firstfruits, the pledge and foretaste, the down payment on our heritage], in anticipation of its full redemption and our acquiring [complete] possession of it—to the praise of His glory.

Amen.

Reactions: Habakk
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jelboss366

Nov 1, 2012
Greensboro, North Carolina
Visit site
✟7,828.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have been away for awhile, and felt this discussion should be bumped, and deserves clarification. As Christians of different denominations, we all fall under the same umbrella. People too often forget the responsibilities we have to each other. While this debate shows some believe that salvation has requirements, and penalties, it also shows a division in the Church of Christ. This infers a victory of sorts in the battle with principalities we are said to be currently involved in.

Word definition and interpretation of phrases is one problem we should also address. Different versions of Scripture exist now with different interpretations and messages. This too should be a major issue to work out as Christians, not as Baptist, or Pentecostal. This is why we do not agree, and are not in accord, and as long as we are not, we can only hope to have faith without works. A house divided will not stand. Let's look at one of the words, and see if we can at least agree to one word. Hopefully we can end up with a complete sentence. Salvation...

I won't copy the dictionary interpretation. I will give my own...

It's fairly short and sweet. If I see you drowning, and throw a rope around you, tie you up with it, and pull you out of the water, there are no choices for you to make. You are being pulled from the water because I want to pull you from the water, and there is really nothing you can say, or do to change this event.

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If salvation was something I could lose, I would never be able to keep it.

If it was a gift I had to accept, I would never be able to claim it.

My hope and faith is in the covenant God made with us out of His sovereign love. He chose me, and He keeps me. In this truth I rest.
:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have been away for awhile, and felt this discussion should be bumped, and deserves clarification. As Christians of different denominations, we all fall under the same umbrella. People too often forget the responsibilities we have to each other. While this debate shows some believe that salvation has requirements, and penalties, it also shows a division in the Church of Christ. This infers a victory of sorts in the battle with principalities we are said to be currently involved in.

Word definition and interpretation of phrases is one problem we should also address. Different versions of Scripture exist now with different interpretations and messages. This too should be a major issue to work out as Christians, not as Baptist, or Pentecostal. This is why we do not agree, and are not in accord, and as long as we are not, we can only hope to have faith without works. A house divided will not stand. Let's look at one of the words, and see if we can at least agree to one word. Hopefully we can end up with a complete sentence. Salvation...

It's fairly short and sweet. If I see you drowning, and throw a rope around you, tie you up with it, and pull you out of the water, there are no choices for you to make. You are being pulled from the water because I want to pull you from the water, and there is really nothing you can say, or do to change this event.
I think the drowning man analogy is fraught with contradiction.
First off, if you are drowning (unsaved), you don't know it & don't ask for any help.
Now if you are drowning as in "lost sheep", you are still saved, just lost.

And Jesus doesn't just throw you a floatation device.
He first saves you, then washes & equips you.

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't think I am here to defend OSAS, I am more to share it since it's the work of the Holy Spirit to convict people.
My conviction is with the clear message of the scripture that once saved God will do the keeping to keep the saved, saved til He comes.
:thumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rev Randy

Sometimes I pretend to be normal
Aug 14, 2012
Florida,USA
✟25,153.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Rimshot - YouTube

Upvote 0

jelboss366

Nov 1, 2012
Greensboro, North Carolina
Visit site
✟7,828.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think the drowning man analogy is fraught with contradiction.
First off, if you are drowning (unsaved), you don't know it & don't ask for any help.
Now if you are drowning as in "lost sheep", you are still saved, just lost.

And Jesus doesn't just throw you a floatation device.
He first saves you, then washes & equips you.

My analogy of the drowning man would be a contradiction, if I had said the drowning man asked for help. Unfortunately, I didn't :thumbsup:

Upvote 0