Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I was reading Hebrews and I had to stop, it was upsetting me so much. I'm sure you're all familiar with the verse:

"For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted the heavenly gift, and have become partakers of the Holy Spirit, and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come,if they fall away, to renew them again to repentance, since they crucify again for themselves the Son of God, and put Him to an open shame.
(Hebrews 6:4-6, NKJV)

The most straightforward explanation seems to be that if you are a Christian, and you fall away, you can't come back. But I was a Christian from age 10 or so (don't remember exact date) until I was 18. Then I left the faith. It wasn't out of weakness or deception. It was flat out rebellion and maliciousness. And I was gone, with a brief exception of a few months, for a long time. I just recently came back and rededicated my life to Christ.

Or did I? I'm trying to tell myself if I can believe and repent that the above condemnation doesn't apply to me, but I can't help but worry I'm running the race in vain and I'm not truly saved. I'm interested to hear people's opinions on those who leave and come back.

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟962,640.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is a point of no return where you are unable to come back. Such persons do not even want to come back (and are lost for eternity).

As long as you feel the need to get back right with God, you haven't yet gone that far. (Do not press the limit, though.)

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was reading Hebrews and I had to stop, it was upsetting me so much. I'm sure you're all familiar with the verse:

"For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted the heavenly gift, and have become partakers of the Holy Spirit, and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come,if they fall away, to renew them again to repentance, since they crucify again for themselves the Son of God, and put Him to an open shame.

The most straightforward explanation seems to be that if you are a Christian, and you fall away, you can't come back. But I was a Christian from age 10 or so (don't remember exact date) until I was 18. Then I left the faith. It wasn't out of weakness or deception. It was flat out rebellion and maliciousness. And I was gone, with a brief exception of a few months, for a long time. I just recently came back and rededicated my life to Christ.

Or did I? I'm trying to tell myself if I can believe and repent that the above condemnation doesn't apply to me, but I can't help but worry I'm running the race in vain and I'm not truly saved. I'm interested to hear people's opinions on those who leave and come back.

It is impossible for you to have the Holy Spirit in you, for it to leave, and then return. So your original faith was an intellectual exercise, but not yet open to the Holy Spirit's presence. Who Else Want's God Living In Their Life?

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

Why did you really leave, and why did you come back...?

And did you ever not believe in a God...? Or were you just doubting God, or what...? Was some of what you knew false at the time, or thought you might have been or discovered truths that others did not and would not accept, or something like that, and that's why you left, or "any number of other reasons" or explanations really...? Or what...?

What do you believe now...?

Be praying for you...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
There is a point of no return where you are unable to come back. Such persons do not even want to come back (and are lost for eternity).

As long as you feel the need to get back right with God, you haven't yet gone that far. (Do not press the limit, though.)
Very true, good words...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

UnprofitableServant

ThyWillBeDone
Dec 10, 2018
Hollywood
✟44,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I see the quoted verse as a warning to not tempt God. It is easy for people to want to 'push God to the limit' to see how much they can get away with and still enter Heaven. God doesn't want to play such games. This verse is a sobering reminder for anybody that has tasted what God has to offer, but leaves for their own selfish desires. I have seen this first hand and it is sad to see.

From my experience, those that have left after tasting what God has to offer, usually never come back to God. They made their decision and choose to stick with it. However, there is a case of people that left and came back to rededicate their life to Christ. These people are the exceptions, not the rule. God always has room for flexibility if people are sincere. If somebody, however, hears this and thinks they can be the exception, then they almost certainly will fall away and not come back; because they didn't leave with sincerity, yet they left with pride of thinking they can do what they want and still come back.

It all boils down to our personal relationship that we have with God.

In peace

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,664.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

It depends on how you view scripture vs. Tradition. You are right in quoting Hebrews 6, and it is plain that once a person falls away it is, as the writer describes it, impossible for them to return. The writer primarily addresses early Jewish converts who are baptized, etc., and truly become Christians but later deny Christ and return to Judaism. It would be no different for a gentile convert who later falls away to return to Mithraism, or to any of the ancient religions, or to simply revert to unbelief.

That same question was raised after the Decian persecution, circa 250 or so AD. All Roman citizens were required to worship the gods of Rome, and to worship the image of the emperor or face torture, confiscation of their property, lose their ability to participate in society, i.e., to "buy or sell". Many Christians did fall away to avoid that persecution. Novatian was a priest at the time, and it was his belief, based on Hebrews 6 and other parts of the bible, that those who fell away under persecution were eternally condemned and could not return to the Church. The Church disagreed.

As a demonstration of mercy, the Church did allow those who fell away to return after a time of penance, effectively setting aside Hebrews 6. Novatian began a schism over the Church's decision and became an antipope in Rome. He was eventually declared a heretic and excommunicated, oddly, for defending scripture against the Church.

In the end, the Church decided at the end of the Decian persecution that those who had fallen away could be allowed to return to the Church. The same controversy repeated itself at the end of the last Roman persecutions circa 300 or so AD.

So, scripture has it that it is impossible for those who have fallen away to be brought once again to repentance, but the longstanding tradition of the Church is that they can return. The Holy Orthodox Church even has a special ceremony to welcome apostates on their return to Christ.

Upvote 0

worshipjunkie

Dec 30, 2018
Springfield
✟27,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Why did you really leave, and why did you come back...?

And did you ever not believe in a God...? Or were you just doubting God, or what...? Was some of what you knew false at the time, or thought you might have been or discovered truths that others did not and would not accept, or something like that, and that's why you left, or "any number of other reasons" or explanations really...? Or what...?

What do you believe now...?

Be praying for you...

God Bless!

I left because I was angry that I was still suffering despite prayer and it made me question my faith. I had also recently been disappointed in some members of my church I was close to. And I went to college. I thought I was well-educated in the faith but I wasn't prepared to stand up to the secular humanism and the New Age teachings I got there. I left and went, first to Wicca, then to Catholicism (for me, because of the way I believed and practiced Catholicism, I would say I wasn't saved during my time as a Catholic).

What do I believe now? I believe Jesus died on the cross for my sins and rose again. I believe He sits at the right hand of God the Father. I believe I am saved by grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone for the glory of God alone. And I believe I have repented of my false beliefs and errors and efforts to earn my salvation and beliefs that I am a good enough person to be saved, as well as my outright mocking, hatred and scorning of Christ (as a Wiccan). And I believe that having repented, His blood washes away my sins. I'm sorry if I don't have the wording right or forgot to mention something crucial.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Or is he saying that is it "impossible" (Paul)...?

IOW's, that it's not possible in that it or that "just does not happen, ever"... therefore they had not really ever had it, or partook of it, nor truly ever tasted it in the first place, or it never really happened at all, in the first place...?

That that possibility does not exist or something...?

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I left because I was angry that I was still suffering despite prayer and it made me question my faith. I had also recently been disappointed in some members of my church I was close to. And I went to college. I thought I was well-educated in the faith but I wasn't prepared to stand up to the secular humanism and the New Age teachings I got there. I left and went, first to Wicca, then to Catholicism (for me, because of the way I believed and practiced Catholicism, I would say I wasn't saved during my time as a Catholic).

What do I believe now? I believe Jesus died on the cross for my sins and rose again. I believe He sits at the right hand of God the Father. I believe I am saved by grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone for the glory of God alone. And I believe I have repented of my false beliefs and errors and efforts to earn my salvation and beliefs that I am a good enough person to be saved, as well as my outright mocking, hatred and scorning of Christ (as a Wiccan). And I believe that having repented, His blood washes away my sins. I'm sorry if I don't have the wording right or forgot to mention something crucial.
Well I think your on the right track and doing well now it sounds like... Don't lose your Faith, OK...?

God Bless!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

worshipjunkie

Dec 30, 2018
Springfield
✟27,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The Word talks about enlightened people falling away not young people brought up in the faith but who haven't seen the marvel of salvation for themselves yet. A lot of young people fall away for awhile to only come back later on in life.

Good to see you back in the faith now go on confirming your faith with fear and trembling.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟962,640.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I believe Jesus died on the cross for my sins and rose again. I believe He sits at the right hand of God the Father. I believe I am saved by grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone for the glory of God alone. And I believe I have repented of my false beliefs and errors and efforts to earn my salvation and beliefs that I am a good enough person to be saved, as well as my outright mocking, hatred and scorning of Christ (as a Wiccan). And I believe that having repented, His blood washes away my sins. I'm sorry if I don't have the wording right or forgot to mention something crucial.
Are you still in college?

Look for a good church. With your previous Wicca involvement, Vineyard or Assembly of God would be good choices.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟962,640.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
how do I know I'm saved now?
Your profession of faith in post #8 seems pretty straightforward. (Remember, there are a lot of differing denominational points of view, here, at Christian Forums.)

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟217,232.00
Faith
Non-Denom

So if you had a son or daughter that got mad and left you would you deny them the right to become reconciled to you again?

So if you who are evil know how to give good gifts to your children, (which I think we can all agree means as well doing good merciful things for them) how much more will your Father in heaven give good things (or do good things) to those who ask Him! Matt 7:12

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So if you had a son or daughter that got mad and left you would you deny them the right to become reconciled to you again?

So if you who are evil know how to give good gifts to your children, (which I think we can all agree means as well doing good merciful things for them) how much more will your Father in heaven give good things (or do good things) to those who ask Him! Matt 7:12
If you believe they don't exist, then returning is impossible.
If you are just angry, then yes.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

There are perhaps millions of pastors who are educated in the faith, and still have no working relationship with God. My uncle, who recently past, was one of the most bitter people you've ever met. Likely this was due to being a pastor with no real relationship with God. One of his earthly fruits is a grandchild in prison for life.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And the good news is the OP said they believed God existed for they said, "I just recently came back and rededicated my life to Christ."

That's why the only unforgivable sin is blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. Blasphemy against the church or even religion is forgivable.

John 12:40
“He has blinded their eyes and hardened their heart, lest they see with their eyes, and understand with their heart, and turn, and I would heal them.”

2 Timothy 2:22
So flee youthful passions and pursue righteousness, faith, love, and peace, along with those who call on the Lord from a pure heart.

1 Samuel 16:7
But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not look on his appearance or on the height of his stature, because I have rejected him. For the Lord sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart.”

Upvote 0