Can you bring up a child as a Christian without indoctrinating him/her?

Trayalc

Jan 2, 2019
Georgia
✟32,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I am nowhere near having children, but I just find this to be an interesting question. I've heard many atheists claim that Christians who raise their children to do things such as memorize and recite Bible verses, go to church, etc. are indoctrinating or "brainwashing" those children into thinking a certain way, which they claim to be wrong. I agree that brainwashing is wrong, of course.

So my question: Can you raise a child to be a Christian without "indoctrinating" them? Are these two things synonymous? Is indoctrination inevitable (for any worldview) no matter what sort of environment a child grows up in?

As someone who grew up going to a private Christian school, I can say that ideas were drilled into my head that I no longer agree with. For instance, in the fifth grade, the school started teaching us that the Theory of Evolution was unquestionably wrong. We barely learned about the Theory of Evolution before we were told that it is a bunch of garbage. I used to reject the theory with a fiery passion as a result, but now I accept the possibility of its truth, still as a Christian.

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I am nowhere near having children, but I just find this to be an interesting question. I've heard many atheists claim that Christians who raise their children to do things such as memorize and recite Bible verses, go to church, etc. are indoctrinating or "brainwashing" those children into thinking a certain way, which they claim to be wrong. I agree that brainwashing is wrong, of course.

So my question: Can you raise a child to be a Christian without "indoctrinating" them? Are these two things synonymous? Is indoctrination inevitable (for any worldview) no matter what sort of environment a child grows up in?

As someone who grew up going to a private Christian school, I can say that ideas were drilled into my head that I no longer agree with. For instance, in the fifth grade, the school started teaching us that the Theory of Evolution was unquestionably wrong. We barely learned about the Theory of Evolution before we were told that it is a bunch of garbage. I used to reject the theory with a fiery passion as a result, but now I accept the possibility of its truth, still as a Christian.

People who make that accusation label any teachings they disagree with as "indoctrination". What they really mean is that they disagree with the indoctrination and want their own indoctrination substituted for it. It's a very weak argument.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟878,021.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I do not think it is wrong to teach your children the faith. They can and will decide for themselves regarding truth in all manner of things at some point. But beyond just teaching things, they will see whether you live it. And that will go further than any teaching.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

The whole point of bringing up a child is to indoctrinate him one way or another. Otherwise, you would be letting the kid raise himself - gross neglect. For some parents, it would be the value of kindness and knowledge for its own sake; for others, fitting in and making money; for others, the superiority one's own culture. Again, barring gross neglect, indoctrination to some extent is inevitable.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So my question: Can you raise a child to be a Christian without "indoctrinating" them?
I would say there is a biblical mandate TO indoctrinate your children:

Deuteronomy 6:6
These words, which I am commanding you today, shall be on your heart. 7 You shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
I think there's a difference between indoctrination and brainwashing.

Considered neutrally, indoctrination is the teaching of doctrines. I would expect parents of a particular tradition to pass on its doctrines to their children.

But obviously there is a matter of degree here. Forcing mindless memorization and focus only on religious topics. Conversely, literally demonizing other beliefs rather than a more neutral discussion of what other people believe.

Upvote 0

zephcom

Jul 9, 2017
Pacific Northwest
✟87,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married

I would say that the answer to that question depends entirely on how one defines 'Christian'. If one defines 'Christian' as behaving in a Christ-like manner, I would say that it is entirely possible to raise a child as a Christian without 'indoctrinating' them.

If, however, one defines 'Christian' as someone who belongs to one of the many organized sects huddling under the catch-all term 'Christianity' then I would say it is impossible to raise the child without indoctrination because one has to accept indoctrination before accepting the religion.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,678.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, if someone claims you should not indoctrinate your children, may be that person is indoctrinating their kids to believe no one should indoctrinate them.

they will see whether you live it.
"nor as being lords over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock." (1 Peter 5:3)

And you can live it first, then point out that you do so because of what God's word says.

indoctrination to some extent is inevitable.
If you do not indoctrinate a child, somehow, possibly the child will become like some thing or a pet that is influencing the child.

I was told they put a baby human with a baby chimpanzee, maybe that was, and the baby more and more acted like the chimpanzee. They terminated the experiment, because they did not dare see what else could become of the baby.

Example > that would be an example of how . . . example can work. The chimpanzee didn't have to indoctrinate the baby.

And, by the way, if you don't tell a child anything, isn't the child going to be brought up by kids at school or some teacher you don't even know? I can see how certain people will tell you not to say anything to your children, in order that at school and elsewhere people will do the indoctrinating that they want your child to get.

By the way > example can work. So, if you do something your children need to know is wrong, it might be wise to indoctrinate the child about that, but also take measures to get yourself corrected, and make sure your children see you seeking God and the help of people, for correction.

Upvote 0

The_wanderer 40

Feb 25, 2019
Texas
✟50,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I agree that parents have a duty to teach their children how to live life, both by actual teaching and through their actions. If the parents don’t do it, someone else will. As others have said, it would not be good to force your kids to do mindless memorization, especially if the parents do not model Christian behavior.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
You can't bring up a child at all without indoctrination, regardless of whether one is religious or nonreligious. Raising a child is going to mean instilling the values and beliefs we hold dear; that child will certainly, as they grow up, challenge these ideas and as they find their own identity do their own thing. But, hopefully, the values we have and instill encourages this and doesn't push them away.

I am, in part, biased perhaps; while I was raised in a devoutly religious home my parents also believed very strongly in allowing me to explore my own thoughts and ideas, and to study things for myself. They wanted me to think for myself instead of just parroting whatever I was told. And, so, even though I did eventually reformulate a lot of my beliefs and ideas, "finding myself" so to speak, I was encouraged to do so along the way. My father, for his part, always encouraged me as I explored my faith, studied, learned, challenged ideas, right up until he passed.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,933.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single

You shouldnt worry about it too much. Being religiously inclined is mostly genetic, being closely bound with authoritarian and conservative tendencies.

Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,694.00
Faith
Pentecostal
I'm not sure I understand the "forced mindless memorization" thought here. What does that mean anyway? The Bible tells us to hide his word in our hearts. Studying and pondering the word everyday is a good thing! Teaching your children all the time is what the Bible tells us to do.

Is forced mindless memorization "hey kid memorize these verses or else"? Without any other follow or context?

Or is forced mindless memorization "hey kid, memorize these verses then we'll talk about them and what they mean."?

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

When people don't want you "indoctrinating" children, it's because they want the children to be indoctrinated with something else. It's only "indoctrination" to them if they disagree with what's being taught. People naturally want children to have at least some of their core values, whether the children are theirs or not.

Brainwashing of course, is a totally different thing. That's a coercive reprogramming of a mind that has already been somewhat programmed, and it tends to be temporary. After the subject is separated from the brainwashing environment, they tend to revert with proper care. Example: American soldiers who had been captured and brainwashed in the Korean War. It is inaccurate at best to claim that parents who raise their children from birth are "brainwashing" them.

Fortunately, my parents weren't so hard-nosed on that issue. I learned the Genesis story, but also that there are interpretations that align more with evolutionary teaching. We had an encyclopedia, they encouraged me to read it, and they came alongside me with that when I was reading all about cavemen.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
So some people think brain-washing or indoctrination that supports false theories is better than teaching / learning the truth as God intends ? Most of the world goes along with false teachers and false teachings, and most of the world doesn't like to be corrected from their errors.

Proverbs gives good instructions, as does Jesus and the Apostles, and the Prophets.

the flesh doesn't like good instructions - but wars against them.

This makes learning the truth difficult, when the flesh is encouraged instead of crucified.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,149,208.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
In a certain sense I think everything we do in raising kids is indoctrination. But we can't responsibly avoid doing that. We don't want each generation to start from scratch. But alongside bringing them up in the Church, we need to be teaching critical thinking, and make it clear that we expect our children to make their own decisions.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Indoctrinating kids is a good thing. It gets God's word into their heads. It's up to them to deal with it from then on. Of course it has to done properly, and without hypocrisy.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,322.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"Indoctrination" means "teaching."

Or more precisely, we would add an adjective: "Systematic teaching."

As has been noted a couple of times, people who rage against "indoctrination" are merely complaining about one set of systematically taught ideals because they want to inculcate their own set of systematically taught ideals.

Nobody is going to a public school without indoctrination.

• Agree
Reactions: ViaCrucis
Upvote 0

Magillacuddy

From the dark, to the light...
Aug 2, 2016
Heartland
✟23,304.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"Indoctrination" means "teaching."

Or more precisely, we would add an adjective: "Systematic teaching."

As has been noted a couple of times, people who rage against "indoctrination" are merely complaining about one set of systematically taught ideals because they want to inculcate their own set of systematically taught ideals.

Nobody is going to a public school without indoctrination.

Does the skeptic atheist recognize it though?
I see these thpes of questions often, with the assumption that the skeptics version of "truth" is what needs taught. I don't think they recognize it, the confirmation bias is too strong, the pride as well.

Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
Does the skeptic atheist recognize it though?
I see these thpes of questions often, with the assumption that the skeptics version of "truth" is what needs taught.
I have absolutely no problem to say "there is this and this and this...opinion out there; I happen to believe X".
Personally, I would draw the line to indoctrination or "teaching X" exactly there: when "I believe X" becomes "X is the truth".
I don't think they recognize it, the confirmation bias is too strong, the pride as well.
Of course you don´t (the confirmation bias, the pride, the projection... ;) ).

Upvote 0

Magillacuddy

From the dark, to the light...
Aug 2, 2016
Heartland
✟23,304.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have absolutely no problem to say "there is this and this and this...opinion out there; I happen to believe X".
Personally, I would draw the line to indoctrination or "teaching X" exactly there: when "I believe X" becomes "X is the truth".

I personally see many atheists go a little berserk over teaching God is the Creator. But I don't see many question the idea they could be wrong. Skeptics like to say they do make attempts at falsification, but they are sure for sure about this one. Funny stuff.

Of course you don´t (the confirmation bias, the pride, the projection... ;) ).

After raising three kids to success, they saw and experienced the fierce opposition by atheists in getting their degrees.

Loving God is not even tolerated. I told them that as well, along with the opposition they would face. I guess my "indoctrination" worked. ^_^

Upvote 0