Can you be saved not believing Jesus is God?

Can a person that believes Jesus is the Son, but not God be saved?

• Yes, I believe so.

Votes: 22 37.9%
  • No, don't think so.

Votes: 33 56.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.2%

• Total voters

Friedrich Rubinstein

Aug 20, 2020
Europe
Visit site
✟174,447.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I would say a Christian who doesn't know that Jesus is God has not understood much, but a new believer who just realized that Jesus is the Saviour they need will be saved without further understanding of God's being.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟907,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What do you think? Can a person that believes Jesus is the Son, but not God be saved?
So if someone does not believe in these statements; " I Am in My Father and My Father is in Me, " or in this statement, " before Abraham was, I Am " , or this statement, "God was manifest in the flesh", Then I would say they have a different Gospel.
Be blessed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Dave L posted an excellent illustration of how only Jesus saves (it's not based on anything we do):

Works; A building is on fire. All are unconscious. A voice comes over the PA. If you crawl on the floor, there will be less smoke since heat rises. We cannot legally come in to rescue anyone without their permission. So if any hear this voice, crawl as fast as you can and find an exit. There’s plenty of fresh air out here and the Red Cross has coffee and donuts.

Grace; A building is on fire, all are unconscious. A team of Fire Fighters with oxygen advance through the smoke grabbing as many as possible, dragging and carrying them to safety. Where they resuscitate and care for the victims- Grace and works illustrated.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
So if someone does not belive in these statments? " I Am in My Father and My Father is in Me " Or in this statement? " Before Abraham was IAm " Or this statement? " .."God was manifest in the flesh"
Then I would say they have a different Gospel.
Be blessed.
I think being saved is different than our interpretation of the Gospel message.

Episcopalians believe we were saved when Christ died and defeated death through His resurrection. It may take some people a long time to acknowledge that, though. IOW.....salvation is one thing - recognition of that salvation is another part of the equation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What do you think? Can a person that believes Jesus is the Son, but not God be saved?

Hi zoidar,

I don't think recognizing that Jesus is God is a necessity of one's coming salvation. After all, Isaiah wrote to us that God calls Jesus His servant.

God bless,
ted

Upvote 0

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟580,781.00
Faith
Christian
No you can’t be saved without believing Jesus is God. That is why people have to seek the truth to find it to be saved. There is no proof He is not God and evidence He seems to be so being unwilling to believe may be what condemns one. It is one being a true seeker that is necessary. But I believe those who seek can come to the conclusion to believe He is and it could be necessary

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,629.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
You have to believe that Jesus is who He is. Otherwise, you are believing in a Jesus of your own creation.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
That's kind of a philosophical question. If people understand that Jesus is the Son (which He is) but don't understand that He is also God doesn't understand the position of a son in a Biblical household. In Luke 15 it says, “‘My son,’ the father said, ‘you are always with me, and everything I have is yours.‘“ In Biblical times the oldest son received everything from the father. That was also the case with Jacob and Esau. Esau was the oldest and was supposed to receive Isaac's birthright.

That is the case with Jesus. He was with God in the beginning and God handed everything over to Him after the resurrection. It is an important Biblical principle.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
But the Father and the Son are not separate beings

Why do you say this? God is the Father, Jesus is His son. John 1:1-3 clearly shows this...

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made."

Also, Matthew 3:17, "And a voice from heaven said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.”

And Matthew 17:5, "While he was still speaking, a bright cloud covered them, and a voice from the cloud said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased. Listen to him!”

Clearly Jesus is separate from the Father and did not say these words.

Upvote 0

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟580,781.00
Faith
Christian
Jesus said My Father and I are one. Your belief is heresy. He was with the Father in the beginning because the Word is of the the Father from the beginning so He being the Son under the Father not as though under another being is begot because He is of the Father from the beginning of all ages. He is the express image of God. They are separate Persons in that the Son who is begotten of the Father in the sense of coming from Him reveals the personhood of the Father that the Son knows which can not be known without the Son He being from Him does not mean He is the Father but He is one with Him thus not separate beings but He shares His glory as He said He was to return to the glory He had with Him before the world was

Last edited:
Upvote 0