Can you be saved and not remember when you accepted Christ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mary_Magdalene

AKA..Godschosengirl
Feb 3, 2004
✟30,328.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Can you be saved and not remember specifically when you accepted Christ as your savior?

Kinda like....(bad analogy coming) remembering where you were when kennedy was shot?

im not talking being baptised in water... im talking the year you accepted Christ and made that decision to follow Him. Shouldnt every Christian remember giving their life to the Lord?

Help!

-GCG

ChristsChick

Jan 26, 2004
N. Ireland
✟15,984.00
Faith
Christian
I'm not sure on this...but the way I see it, it's like a birthday, it's nice to remember it and celebrate it, but say if nobody recorded your birth, and nobody remembered when it was, does it make you any less alive?

I had a great time celebrating my first 'birthday' this year, but that wasn't the important bit...the year of being a Christian, that was the important bit, so as long as you have that I don't think it's a big issue, but that's just me.

Upvote 0

12volt_man

Jan 8, 2004
✟9,150.00
Faith
Christian
Godschosengirl said:
Can you be saved and not remember specifically when you accepted Christ as your savior?

Kinda like....(bad analogy coming) remembering where you were when kennedy was shot?

im not talking being baptised in water... im talking the year you accepted Christ and made that decision to follow Him. Shouldnt every Christian remember giving their life to the Lord?

Help!

-GCG

Yes. Most people remember but it's not the experience that saves you. It's much more important that you know Who saved you than when you were saved.

• Agree
Reactions: actionsub
Upvote 0

rnmomof7

Legend
Feb 9, 2002
Western NY
✟78,744.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Godschosengirl said:

Help!

-GCG

Of course. Many people are saved as Children , and can not give you the day or the month or the year, because to little children all days are pretty much the same .

I have been saved 27 years , I know the month and the year..buy no one told me that a test of my salvation was remembering the date .

I have a son that was saved at 7, I was present and witnessed it . He has no firm memory of it. Except what I have told him of that day, yet he has walked the walk from that day to this.

Upvote 0

TwinCrier

Double Blessed and spreading the gospel
Oct 11, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
✟24,768.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I always believed I was saved as a child, though I didn't remember the exact day, I remembered the event. However, as I entertained these doubts during a revival meeting, I heard the pastor say something to the effect that; if you aren't sure you better make sure, because God can forgive you for forgetting. Sort of a 'better safe than sorry' message. So rather I was genuinely saved as a child or not, I KNOW that I am now, my name is written in the book of Life with the blood of Christ.
1 John 5:13 These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

Upvote 0

rnmomof7

Legend
Feb 9, 2002
Western NY
✟78,744.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
TwinCrier said:
I always believed I was saved as a child, though I didn't remember the exact day, I remembered the event. However, as I entertained these doubts during a revival meeting, I heard the pastor say something to the effect that; if you aren't sure you better make sure, because God can forgive you for forgetting. Sort of a 'better safe than sorry' message. So rather I was genuinely saved as a child or not, I KNOW that I am now, my name is written in the book of Life with the blood of Christ.
1 John 5:13 These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

Jesus lays out the "test" of true salvation. We will know by the fruit. Remember when Paul said "if they went out from us they were not of us"?

Faithfulness and fruit ...not date and time.

I do not think we need forgiveness for "forgetting " the day and hour.
But we do need forgiveness if our walk and talk does not give God glory

Reactions: Nathan8906
Upvote 0

thereselittleflower

Nov 9, 2003
✟50,355.00
Faith
Catholic
I remember my conversion experience clearly . . I do not remember the date it occured on . .

But salvation is something in the present moment . .not something solely relegated to the past, or something solely relegated to the future . .

See my signature for scripture verses . .

It is in this present moment that we should be concerned with our salvation, our right standing with God . .

Peace in Him!

Upvote 0

hraedisc

Veteran
Nov 6, 2002
Visit site
✟16,583.00
Faith
SDA
The wind is heard among the branches of the trees, rustling the leaves and flowers; yet it is invisible, and no man knows whence it comes or whither it goes. So with the work of the Holy Spirit upon the heart. It can no more be explained than can the movements of the wind. A person may not be able to tell the exact time or place, or to trace all the circumstances in the process of conversion; but this does not prove him to be unconverted. By an agency as unseen as the wind, Christ is constantly working upon the heart. Little by little, perhaps unconsciously to the receiver, impressions are made that tend to draw the soul to Christ. These may be received through meditating upon Him, through reading the Scriptures, or through hearing the word from the living preacher. Suddenly, as the Spirit comes with more direct appeal, the soul gladly surrenders itself to Jesus. By many this is called sudden conversion; but it is the result of long wooing by the Spirit of God,--a patient, protracted process. While the wind is itself invisible, it produces effects that are seen and felt. So the work of the Spirit upon the soul will reveal itself in every act of him who has felt its saving power. When the Spirit of God takes possession of the heart, it transforms the life. Sinful thoughts are put away, evil deeds are renounced; love, humility, and peace take the place of anger, envy, and strife. Joy takes the place of sadness, and the countenance reflects the light of heaven. No one sees the hand that lifts the burden, or beholds the light descend from the courts above. The blessing comes when by faith the soul surrenders itself to God. Then that power which no human eye can see creates a new being in the image of God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gamecock

Oct 10, 2003
The Republic of Texas
Visit site
✟15,486.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
rnmomof7 said:
Could be because there are no clocks there
A clear reference to Ephesians One by our young friend.

I grew up in a Covenant Home. I have no memory of becoming a Christian, I just know that from my earliest memory I was saved.

Kind of a boring testamony, isn't it.....

Upvote 0

Ben johnson

Legend
Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2002
Oklahoma
Visit site
✟76,549.00
Faith
Christian
Could be because there are no clocks there
Reminds me of a joke. (The one where ONE clock is in the KITCHEN being used as a FAN...)
What does one's memory have to do with God's pre-ordaining?
What does God PREORDAIN? Only Jesus. And all who BELIEVE become part of God's preordained plan in Jesus.

"Those whom He FOREKNEW He also predestined to become Christlike (conformed to Jesus' image), that Jesus might become the first among many brethren..." Rm8

If you cannot REMEMBER hurling yourself broken and humbled at His feet, then I must ask you --- ARE YOU THERE NOW? Is there ANY area that hou have held back from Him? Do you submit to Him in MOST things, or in ALL? If He is not LORD-N-MASTER over every piece of your life, then I implore you --- give it to Him NOW. He is the CREATOR --- He already KNOWS about your "little secret". The entrance to the Kingdom is NARROW; your "insignificant reservation" is far wider. Do not get shut out by stubbornly clinging to JUST A LITTLE SIN. Lay it all at His feet, throw yourself on His "potter's wheel" --- that He mold you as He wills.

If you do not remember receiving Jesus as your Lord and Savior, then DO IT NOW. There is no tomorrow; tomorrow is smoke. The past is shadow. All we HAVE is one paper-thin slice of NOW. Do not count on a tomorrow that may not come for you. Take NOW, and lay it down. Build your life and future one page at a time. He WRITES THE WORDS of our lives; we take the pages He has written and make them ours. The FUTURE becomes the PAST, one moment at a time.

:)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rnmomof7

Legend
Feb 9, 2002
Western NY
✟78,744.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Ben johnson said:
If you do not remember receiving Jesus as your Lord and Savior, then DO IT NOW. There is no tomorrow; tomorrow is smoke. The past is shadow. All we HAVE is one paper-thin slice of NOW. Do not count on a tomorrow that may not come for you. Take NOW, and lay it down. Build your life and future one page at a time. He WRITES THE WORDS of our lives; we take the pages He has written and make them ours. The FUTURE becomes the PAST, one moment at a time.

Could you show me the sinners prayer or altar calls in the bible Ben?

You insult Christians that were saved years ago and have proved it not by standards set forth by God but by Charles Finney

The visual proof of salvation is not a walk down the aisle to "just as I am "

God lays out the marks of a believer.

Act 2:42 And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers

Jhn 15:8 Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples.

Nothing said here about coming forward to be saved. Not one wit .

There is no record of John the Baptist being saved..none of most of the apostles being saved.

No where does God tell us that we MUST remember the day , or that remembering is any proof of anything.

It is an insult to those that have been faithful to their first love to imply perhaps they are not saved because they were too young or did not know it was important to remember or they forgot to write it in their address book .

Upvote 0

Ben johnson

Legend
Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2002
Oklahoma
Visit site
✟76,549.00
Faith
Christian
RnMom said:
You insult Christians that were saved years ago and have proved it not by standards set forth by God but by Charles Finney
Nonsense. Ben said, "If you do not remember receiving Jesus as your Lord and Savior, then DO IT NOW". Salvation is, succinctly, RECEIVING JESUS (Jn1:12); which is DEATH of the OLD and birth fo the NEW. (Rm6:4)

What of those who THINK they're saved, maybe even CHURCH members, sang in the CHOIR, even ELDERS --- but have no MEMORY of having RECEIVED Him? Is that POSSIBLE? Yes! Jesus speaks of them in Matt7:21-23.

Peter speaks of those who are NOT rmoral, NOT godly, NOT kind or loving; they have FORGOTTEN purification from former sins. (2:1:9) Thus they DO NOT REMEMBER RECEIVING JESUS!
No where does God tell us that we MUST remember the day , or that remembering is any proof of anything.
The day, the hour, the moment --- is irrelevant.
We are far more in agreement than not, RnMom.
...those that have been faithful to their first love...
...and it is THESE that DO remember receiving Him as Savior, AND as Lord-Master!

But those who look behind them, and cannot find ANY time when they received Jesus' mastery --- it is THEY who do not remember!

Those in Matt7:22 shall be ASTONISHED that they never KNEW Jesus! So too those in Rev3:14-23. "You THINK you are RICH! You don't know that you are wretched and miserable and poor and blind and naked!"

Each of us should REMEMBER submitting to our Lord, as if it was YESTERDAY; and if we are SAVED, then it WAS yesterday, AND today.

"If by the Spirit you are putting to death the things of the flesh, you will live." Rm8:13 "Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body that you should obey its lusts, do not go on presenting the members of your body to sin as instruments of unrighteousness; but present yourselves to God... you are slaves to the one you obey, either of sin resulting in death, or of obedience resulting in righteousness." Rm6:11-18

"As you have RECEIVED Christ, SO WALK IN Him." Col2:6

You are right, RnMom; we may not remember the exact DATE and TIME that we became Christians; but we remember receiving Him as our Savior, and as our Lord. Rom10:9 If we can't remember RECEIVING Him, then we are not standing where we should...

Upvote 0

ChiRho

Confessional Lutheran Catholic
Mar 5, 2004
Fort Wayne
✟9,982.00
Faith
Lutheran
Politics
US-Libertarian
When were you saved?

The very moment that our Savior, Jesus the Christ, was crucified. To combat doubt and to reassure us, (God knows us and the wiley tricks of the Accuser to well) He, in His mercy, has provided an actual true washing that we can look back to in times of doubt...Holy Baptism. With confidence we can look upon our Baptism and KNOW that with the combination of water with the words of God (In the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Spirit...), He claims, cleanses, regenerates, creates Faith in, and bonds us to Christ the Crucified. Pastor Bird, writes, "in the Heat of Baptism, we are bonded to the flesh of Christ." Bonded to Him in death and bonded to Him in His Resurrection. So if a date is needed to satisfy, mark your Baptismal Birthday and celebrate that.

May He keep you in the One True Faith!!

Upvote 0

ChiRho

Confessional Lutheran Catholic
Mar 5, 2004
Fort Wayne
✟9,982.00
Faith
Lutheran
Politics
US-Libertarian
To expound a bit, for the purpose of clarity, our Salvation was achieved on the cross. Atonement made. God reconciled us to Him. This saving Grace is distributed to us by means, namely, Word and Sacrament. We must trust the Words of Christ, this is our reassurance. Trust that they are true for YOU. Yes, for the whole world, but His blood shed and flesh torn and sacrificed for YOU for the remission of sins. Salvation....won at the cross and given to us through means.

"For to remember Christ is to remember His
benefits, and to realize that they are truly offered unto us.
Nor is it enough only to remember the history; for this also
the Jews and the ungodly can remember."

-Augsburg Confession

May Christ, our God, keep you in the One True Faith!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.