Can we stop sinning?

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO you can't stop sinning complete,but as you grow to be a stronger christian and get closer to Jesus you are less likely to sin as much.For new christians that haven't studied the bible enough maybe sinning and not know it.Does that mean that they won't go to Heaven,absolutly not.The bible says to repent daily I think its because we sin daily.I think a person should strive to be perfect but I think it's an unreachable goal :) :)

Upvote 0
All sin is bondage, if there were any sin in our lives. Then we would not be truely free, we would still have bondage. The Bible clearly says, you shall know the truth and you shall be free.

I think it would be helpful if I understood just how you understand sin. I believe that the Bible teaches that sin is falling short of the glory of God; failing to love Him with all of your heart and all of your mind and all of your strength, and loving your neighbor as yourself. The standard is perfection. We cannot hope to live up to it.

"If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us." - 1 John 1:8

While we are free from our slavery to sin, and final victory in the war that is within us is assured, there are still many battles to be fought.

Upvote 0
While we continue to live in this fallen world, we will continue daily with the struggle of sin. Positionally we are righteous before God (we are saved by His grace through our faith), yet we still sin because we haven't yet discarded our sinful nature (flesh and blood). That doesn't preclude us from being saved, it just shows why this world isn't perfect - because sin is still dominate in the world we live in.

However, when we are resurrected, then will the old nature truely be dead and we will no longer be slaves to sin or this sinful world.

But if anyone can confess honestly and truthfully that they are without sin since becoming a child of God, then I would really like to meet you and study with you and find out how you did it, because not even Paul the Apostle was able to make that claim (Romans 17:18-19).

Upvote 0
i believe we can stop sinning. becuase sin isnt gods will. and god wants us to be in his will.
those who walk according to the spirit, dont fullfill the lust of the flesh.
and were not a debtor to the flesh, im not controlled by it anymore, if im in the right place with god.

did jesus sin?
he came in the likeness of sinful flesh. he battled everything we do, and overcame.

is it possible to walk purely in the spirit?
i think it is the same question as
is it possible to be totally obedient?
then
is it possible to hear his voice that well? i believe so.

yes.
there is a place with god, where you always know him, and hear him, all you must do is obey.
it is possible to be fully consumed by the spirit of god, in a place of pure intamicy with him, where you always hear his voice, and you must simply obey. to be totally led by him, hell never lead you into sin.

and actually, no matter what, hell make a way of escape for every sin you ever incounter, but do you know him well enough to hear his voice like that?
i dont know if anyone does now, but i want to.

Upvote 0

Blackhawk

Monkey Boy
Feb 5, 2002
Ft. Worth, tx
Visit site
✟22,925.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Can we stop sinning?

Well that is the impossible possibility. We could do it. We are no longer slaves to sin. However we won't. Why? because we are human. So the pratical answer is no. But the theological answer is yes but not in real life.

blackhaw6

Upvote 0

Darren

...servant of Jesus...
Feb 12, 2002
Visit site
✟7,626.00
1 John 3:5-6,9:

"But you know that he appeared that he might take away our sins. And in him is no sin. No one who lives in him keeps on sinning. No one who continues to sin has either seen him or known him…No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God's seed remains in him; he cannot go on sinning, because he has been born of God."

What part does this play in your dicussion then? It clashes with a lot of what some of you have said. And it kind of clashes with what Paul writes, and has been quoted earlier?

??????????????????????????

Upvote 0
yes, thats true.
but in that sentence, the word SIN OR SINNING means THE PRACTICE OF SIN, not really the individual mistake of a single sin.
i mean, i sin, but does that mean i never got saved? i know im saved, yet i sinned yesterday a couple of times.
its talking about the practice of sin.
i do not practice it anymore. but it does happen.

were humans?
we dont have enough faith?
i refuse to accept that.
if god said somethings possible, im gonna do my best to doit! and i can doit!

were humans? so our flesh keeps us from gods best?
that is not true, not in scripture.
romans 8.11,12
but if the spirit of him that raised up jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up christ from the dead shall also QUICKEN YOUR MORTAL BODIES by his spirit that dwelleth in you.
therefore, brethren, WE ARE DEBTORS NOT TO THE FLESH, TO LIVE AFTER THE FLESH.

you as a christian do not have to live in the limits of your flesh!
but live in the almightiness of the holyspirit! the unlimitedness!

we dont have enough faith?
2 cor 8.7
therefor as ye ABOUND in everything, IN FAITH...
that word ABOUND is
"perisseuo"
it means
SUPERABOUND(in quantity, or quality)
BE IN EXCESS
BE SUPERFLUOUS
translated-
TO CAUSE TO SUPERABOUND OR EXCELL
ENOUGH TO SPARE, TO EXCEED.

we can have more than enough faith! these people did!

its not that WE dont have enough faith, YOU can choose to not have enough, but I MYSELF dont have to live under that limitation.

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by Pastor Thunderchild
Can you provide reasons for your answer?

If you are a child of the devil, you can not stop sinning, because it is the nature of the devil to sin and his children to sin. Just the same, a child of God does not sin, because that is what makes them a child of God, they have a divine nature and they do not sin.

1 John 3:8-9
He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has sinned from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil. [9] Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God.

Upvote 0

Debbie

Dec 11, 2001
Visit site
✟1,142.00
The scriptures that refer to our being sinful & admitting it, is referring to knowledge that we were sinful before we accepted Christ. Even if we think we were good, we still inherited Adam's sin. So anyone who said they were not sinful before they were saved is lying to themselves.
This has nothing to do with "once saved always saved". It has to do with our will in opposition to God's will. I don't want to sin. I don't find it necessary.
I have found that the longer I place God's will above my own, The less I am tempted to sin. I believe that eventually I will laugh at temptation. I'm just not there yet. Maybe I will never get there. But I don't what kind of sin everyone is saying they commit either.
HAving a bad thought is sinful, so I will always sin if we are counting satanic suggestion. If I dwell upon those thoughts, it's my sin. If I act upon those thoughts I'm in deep doo-doo. BUt I can ask for forgiveness & start all over. So what type of sins are we still committing?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
yeah, i agree totally.

one thing i think most people dont realise about sin, is really where its from, a man showed this to me the other day and its really good.

if you talk to the average christian about sin, theyll be like, YEAH THE DEVIL WAS JUST ATTACKING ME YESTERDAY! or when they feel tempted THEY START REBUKING DEMONS, and really attacking something that may not even be there. as if all temptation is from a devil whispering in your ear. but it isnt.

many times, when we are tempted, its not becuase some devil is talking to you, or attacking you. but becuase you have an unclean desire, and you desire that thing thats tempting you. so, many times you yourself are the root of that temptation, there is still something in you somewhere that wants to do that thing, and thats why you are tempted by it.

like, say your own a fast. and you see a big ol choc.cake! your gonna be like MAN I WANT THAT CAKE! but is that the devil in your ear? no, its just that you want it.

so, in battleing sin, there must a cleansing of the old man, a burning away of yourself, you must be changed. its not so much beating the demons that attack you, and sometimes they do, but mostly it is you changing THE WAY YOU ARE INTO A M AN THAT DOESNT DESIRE THOSE THINGS ANYMORE.

so, next time you feel tempted, think about it, is it a demon? or is it simply your unclean desire? its probly not a demon.
and ask god to change you, and do the neccesary things to change yourself. like,
1. renew your mind by the word.
read the bible so much that you start to automaticly live it.
to where in every situation your first reaction is what the word says. change the way you think, by reading the word, day and night. god told joshua to meditate on it, day and night. that shows just how much we need to be reading it. josh 1.8
no matter what, always have a teaching tape playing, be reading the word, someway somehow feed yourself on the word at all times, youll become to so full, that it will just start spilling over and out of you. youll no longer think the way you thought.
i use to be like WHOA MOMMA THAT WOMANS GOT SOME BIG ******!
but now im like
DANG IT! I DONT WANNA SEE THOSE! my nature is changing. where i use to instantly reach out to sin. now i am starting to instantly recoil and fight it.

2. stay in prayer.
stay in strong relationship with god, those who really love god, obey god. and love comes through intamicy and that comes through relationship. you wont really love god like you should if you dont have a continual prayer life. your love will grow cold and youll start to move farther away. continual prayer keeps a strong relationship, it also brings a strong level of conviction. sins will start to look so filthy and disgusting! when you are close to god, youll hunger to obey him, and youll hate to disobey him.

3. fast.
it casts off your flesh. as you willfully deny yourself of its desire, you train yourself to overcome the flesh, and your flesh dies.
your mortifying your flesh like paul said to do.
much of the reason that people dont really know god like they should even when they want to, is becuase they are so full of the flesh, that god cannot come very close to them in his holiness.

there must be a cleansing of your uncleanliness. a divine washing of your soul. as you allow the holyspirit to take away what is your and naturally unclean, and replace it with divine substance! but that costs everything.

this was said of a man named smith wigglesworth.
when smith prayed, you couldnt stay in the same room with him for more than 30 min. becuase so much of the power and glory of god would come down that anyone else would run for his life!

see, those other men were so unclean (or average) that god wouldnt come like this for them, but when smith prayed god would come becuase he was purified.
and these other men where cast into a dangerous place that god really hadnt allowed them to go to ,becuase they were unclean.

smith said he rarely prayed more than 30 min. but he never went 30 mins without praying.
he was one time walking to a revival with his friends, it was a long walk. and he just started going crasy! he was like, WE HAVE TO STOP AND PRAY! THE FLESH IS OVERCOMING US!
he hated to go very long without reading his bible, or praying, thats how close he was to god.

hed carry a bible around, and hed be reading it everywhere at all times.

hed have conversations with people, and hed openly repent to god, if they had been talking about other things besides god for very long.

and this mans shadow healed the sick, he raised his wife from the dead and she asked him to let her go back! he raised 26 people from the dead. hed get into a box car and people would cry out, saying WHAT ARE YOU!? WHO ARE YOU!? theyd be convicted of their uncleanliness by being near him.

charles finney did the same things.
its not odd, its the power of martyrdom! to where god removes what is yours, and replaces it with what is his.

Upvote 0

jbenjesus

<font color="blue">Berean</font>
Jan 23, 2002
Miami
Visit site
✟7,945.00
Faith
Christian
Yes!

Emphatically, yes!!!

If we walk in the Spirit (which can only be done when we have the indwelling Spirit of God by Jesus' baptism), we will not fulfill the lust of the flesh.

When Jesus is allowed to live His life through us ("walking in the Spirit") He never sins. So if He is allowed by us to live His life through us we cease to sin.

Righteousness is fulfilled in us not that we fulfill righteousness.

Ezekiel 36:27 promises us that He, "...will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them."

He causes us to sin no more.

Paul talked of this revelation in these words (paraphrased) that it is no longer I that live but Christ that lives within me. And He is the one that does all that I have been able to do.

Hallelujah! That is a glorious revelation if you will receive it and walk in it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LouisBooth

Feb 6, 2002
✟19,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
"He causes us to sin no more. "

*sigh* nope. You can't stop sinning. Does this mean you shouldn't try? Nope, you should try not to sin as Paul wrote in romans. The ideal is to not sin but don't fall into a guilty mess when you do because you will sin.

Upvote 0
so, what if i didnt sin seven times yesterday?

if im led of the holyghost, the only reason for me to sin is disobedeince. which proves i dont have to sin, becuase i do have the ability to obey.
those who obey (or walk according to the spirit) dont sin (or fullfill the lust of the flesh).

saying i have to sin, is like saying i have no choice but to go look at a ****o. or that, i have no choice but to lie, or to steal.
which none of those are true.
there is way of escape for all sin, if you follow them, you wont sin.

Upvote 0

jbenjesus

<font color="blue">Berean</font>
Jan 23, 2002
Miami
Visit site
✟7,945.00
Faith
Christian
I encourage you to receive what you can walk in now.

Unfortunately many of us won't and don't believe. Therefore, we continue to fail b/c we rely on our own strength "trying not to sin."

The reality is that we "can" stop sinning, IF we walk in the Spirit. This can be done for those who trust and rely on the resurrection power of Jesus Christ to enliven their mortal bodies to serve Him. Which means I don't rely on myself to enable me to stop sinning. I put my trust that He will cause me to walk in righteousness and holiness before Him.

Do I slip up? Sure I do. Why because I stopped walking in the Spirit and began to walk in the flesh. But that does not disregard the spiritual truth (the revelation) that I CAN stop sinning.

Paul did not preach an unreachable ideal when he said to "walk in the Spirit and you will not fulfill the lust of the flesh (sin)". This is a reality he walked in. Christ lived through him and lives through His people when the people (the body) are yielded to Him. When He is the head, we can do no wrong.

Paraphrased:

As a man thinks, so he is. (Proverbs).

Change what you believe to align with the Word of God and ask God to cause you walk in His ways as He promised He would, for those that have a new heart and a new Spirit - born again.

Upvote 0

rwc109

Feb 18, 2002
meditation moving mighty mountains - more moonston
✟1,275.00
Faith
Marital Status
Engaged
Psalms 56:4 In God I will praise his word, in God I have put my trust; I will not fear what flesh can do unto me.

Romans 13:14 But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof.

1Co 15:52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.
1Co 15:53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption

Psa 31:6 I have hated them that regard lying vanities: but I trust in the LORD.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.