Can we stop sinning?

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

epobre

Apostle John writes: "My little children, these things I write to you, that you do not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteosness."

True Christians, being new creation in Christ must have the mind of Jesus and walk according to the spirit of God and not according to the flesh.

However, man being of a sinful nature, cannot avoid sin or transgression of God's laws completely. That's why there will always be a NEED for the ONLY mediator, the MAN Christ Jesus.

Ed

Upvote 0

WhitBit

Mirror of His Heart
Feb 5, 2002
Texas
Visit site
✟610.00
Jesus conquered the power of Sin at the cross - And where God provides that "way out" of every sin, He also offers us strength to take it.

Doesn't mean we always choose to - our flesh leaves us vulnerable to our own evil desires and God doesn't take away the OPTION of sin just because we become Christians.

But CAN we physically, spiritually win the battle? Yes :D

Rom 8:2 "For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death."

Upvote 0

Thunderchild

Sheep in Wolf's clothing
Jan 5, 2002
Adelaide
Visit site
✟3,180.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Well, I'll be descended from a monkey....I was NOT expecting those responses at all.

Yes we are able to stop sinning.

Yes, we are able, but we don't.

OK - so how did you come to get it right. I am THOROUGHLY confused.

(And we don't because it is that we tend to try to serve two masters.)

Upvote 0

WhitBit

Mirror of His Heart
Feb 5, 2002
Texas
Visit site
✟610.00
"The old sinful nature loves to do evil, which is just opposite from what the Holy Spirit wants. And the Spirit gives us desires that are opposite from what the sinful nature desires. These two forces are constatly fighting each other, and you choices are never free from this conflict. But when you are directed by the Holy Spirit, you are no longer subject to the law." - Galatians 5:17-18

Thus...we are still subject to our old desires, but can conquer them with the Holy Spirit's guidance.

"I don't mean to say that I have already achieved these things or that I have already reached perfection!! But I keep working twoard that day when I will finally be all that Christ Jesus saved me for and wants me to be, but I am focusing all my energies on the one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead, I strain to reach the end of the race and receive the prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us up to heaven." -Philippians 3:13-14

Doesn't mean that we always will...Paul warns believers over and over to put their time to doing righteous deeds, avoiding a "devil's workshop" situation. God does not take away our freedom of choice just because we live for Him - and bad choices are not without consequence...but we should not let our sins keep us dwelling on it, for there is a greater plan, and all is not lost because we give in to temptation.

Is this making sense? I get so engrossed in Scripture that I often forget what I'm looking for :rolleyes: ...and I tend to digress :D But this is not altogether a bad thing.

Upvote 0
i wold have to agree with at least 3 other people here that voted.. hehe

Yes we can stop, but thru temptation we do not. It can take a life time to stop sinning but in that life time your faith should grow to such a level that really you see past the temptation in later life, you learn to reap the rewards that you can not have now. Its an investment. How many kids/teenagers/Young adults (mindframe) know how much an investment is actually worth in later life?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Blackhawk

Monkey Boy
Feb 5, 2002
Ft. Worth, tx
Visit site
✟22,925.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
OptimusP,

Yeah. I think that although we can stop sinning we won't. Just like God could go against His word and scrap this world and start over. But He won't. (which makes me very happy :) )

God has given us the ability to choose something besides sin but we are too weak to always choose God instead of sin. That is why the Holy Spirit takes us through the process of sanctification all our lives. Although I think that it would be better not to sin at all, it is really neat to work out my problems with the God of the universe.

Blackhaw6

Upvote 0

InspectorVol

Feb 6, 2002
TN
Visit site
✟8,183.00
Faith
Christian
NO! This explains it all.
1John.1
[1] That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, of the Word of life;
[2] (For the life was manifested, and we have seen it, and bear witness, and shew unto you that eternal life, which was with the Father, and was manifested unto us;)
[3] That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you, that ye also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ.
[4] And these things write we unto you, that your joy may be full.
[5] This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.
[6] If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:
[7] But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.
[8] If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
[9] If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
[10] If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

Upvote 0

Thunderchild

Sheep in Wolf's clothing
Jan 5, 2002
Adelaide
Visit site
✟3,180.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Inspector Vol> Who could possibly say that he has no sin? For that claim to be made, one would have to have lived one's entire life without ever sinning.

Over 57 passages in the New Testament (outside the gospel record) show that a person can, and is required to, overcome sin. I haven't counted the number in the gospel records which make the same statement, but there are many. (I stopped counting the number of records when I realised that counting all the time was getting silly.)

An abbreviated list of the passages, together with the quotes, can be found at - no point in cluttering up this message with the details.

But you have yourself posted a point that should be examined in depth. "He is able to cleanse us of all unrighteousness."

Blackhawk> Quite true. One of the reasons we need to produce works is that by works faith is perfected. And with a perfected faith, one can proceed to not sin.

However, love for God is the only true safeguard against sinning. Without that, all else is just bricks and mortar piled upon no foundation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

InspectorVol

Feb 6, 2002
TN
Visit site
✟8,183.00
Faith
Christian
I may have misunderstood what you were saying to me and if so treat this post as such.
I was simply answering the question ,"if we could stop sinning?" No we can't, the bible says exactly that. I didn't mean to infer that we couldn't ask and get forgiveness for those sins. Jesus died just for that reason.

Upvote 0
Matthew 22:36  Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
37  Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
38  This is the first and great commandment.
39  And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
40  On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

If you have loved God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and you have loved your neighbor as yourself, then you haven't sinned.

Did I mention that you have to do this perfectly, 24/7?

Trust me - you sin. We all do, for we all fall short of the glory of God.

Upvote 0

Apologist

2 Tim. 2:24-26
Jan 9, 2002
Northern California
Visit site
✟1,980.00
Faith
Christian
Amen!

Romans 7:14-25 sums it all up:

14 For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am carnal, sold under sin. 15 For what I am doing, I do not understand. For what I will to do, that I do not practice; but what I hate, that I do. 16 If, then, I do what I will not to do, I agree with the law that it is good. 17 But now, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me. 18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find. 19 For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practice. 20 Now if I do what I will not to do, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me.
21 I find then a law, that evil is present with me, the one who wills to do good. 22 For I delight in the law of God according to the inward man. 23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. 24 O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? 25 I thank God—through Jesus Christ our Lord!
So then, with the mind I myself serve the law of God, but with the flesh the law of sin.
The New King James Version, (Nashville, TN: Thomas Nelson Publishers) 1998, c1982.

God Bless

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
>>Can you provide reasons for your answer?

You can tell that we are living in the time of the great apostasy, because there are so many who either do not know the truth, or who reject the truth.

Hebrews 2:17
Therefore, in all things He had to be made like His brethren, that He might be a merciful and faithful High Priest in things pertaining to God, to make propitiation for the sins of the people.

Jesus had no unfair advantage over us. Yet He was without sin. He came to show us the way to overcome sin. He had the same body we have, and He brought it into subjection. The only difference is, He had divine blood in His vains, but we who are born again, have the divine blood in our soul. We take on the same divine nature He had, when we are born again.

1 Peter 4:18
And if the righteous scarcely be saved, where shall the ungodly and the sinner appear?

Peter makes it clear that there are righteous and there are sinners and sinners are not saved. Jesus is returning soon for a church that is without spot, blemish or wrinkle. She will be living free from sin. Only the truely righteous will be qualifiied to go up in the rapture to be with Jesus. Those who have sin in their life, will have to go by way of the grave.

Romans 6:18
Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.

Paul makes it clear that "we are made free from sin". It's the power of the Blood of Jesus that cleanses us, and our faith in the power of God to set us free from all sin.

John 8:36
If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.

All sin is bondage, if there were any sin in our lives. Then we would not be truely free, we would still have bondage. The Bible clearly says, you shall know the truth and you shall be free.

Galatians 5:1
Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.

John 8:34-36
Jesus answered them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, everyone who commits sin is the slave of sin. [35] "And the slave does not remain in the house forever; the son does remain forever. [36] "If therefore the Son shall make you free, you shall be free indeed.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.