Apr 18, 2010
✟49,085.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Still we have confirmation bias and motivated reasoning, motivated perception etc...

For example, is the sky cloudy today? (were you more aware of that, or philosohy until I posed the question?)

Some psychologists restrict the term confirmation bias to selective collection of evidence that supports what one already believes while ignoring or rejecting evidence that supports a different conclusion. Other psychologists apply the term more broadly to the tendency to preserve one's existing beliefs when searching for evidence, interpreting it, or recalling it from memory - Wikipedia.

Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟245,915.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
No, we always need to start from axioms.

This is a common modern sentiment. Underlying it are two assumptions that classical philosophy would find overtly strange:

1. A proof or demonstration by definition starts with axioms.
  2. Axioms are ungrounded and in some sense arbitrary or at least merely stipulations common to a community or race.

Now "axiom" does have that flavor, but "first principle" or "self-evident truth" does not. In any case, saying that nothing can ultimately be proven because axioms cannot be arrived at syllogistically ignores a great deal of philosophy and epistemology. Syllogistic reasoning has traditionally only been understood to be a single part of the reasoning capacities of the human being.

Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
This is a common modern sentiment. Underlying it are two assumptions that classical philosophy would find overtly strange:

1. A proof or demonstration by definition starts with axioms.
  2. Axioms are ungrounded and in some sense arbitrary or at least merely stipulations common to a community or race.

Now "axiom" does have that flavor, but "first principle" or "self-evident truth" does not. In any case, saying that nothing can ultimately be proven because axioms cannot be arrived at syllogistically ignores a great deal of philosophy and epistemology. Syllogistic reasoning has traditionally only been understood to be a single part of the reasoning capacities of the human being.
Hmm. I didn´t mean to use "axiom" in the way you defined it (with that touch of arbitrariness to it). I meant to use it as sort of "inescapable premise". These premises can not be "proven" (and from within the frame of reference they are used in they needn´t be "proven", I may add.).
So it seems to me that you and I do not really disagree (beyond possible disagreements on usage of certain words).

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Can We Prove Anything in some kind of ultimate sense?

I think its not possible in math, as demonstrated by Godel, the overall system being either inconsistent or incomplete. So proofs are kind of conditional. (?) But perhaps his proof about formal systems hits 'rock bottom'. (?) Anyway.....

Is it possible in any other realm?
Yes I prove things all the time.

Ken

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟327,686.00
Faith
Atheist
...However, it does mean that theories can be proven wrong.
When such evidence is encountered that refutes a theory or hypothesis, you have successfully "proved it to be wrong".

...But you can NEVER be certain that the next black person you examine won't have blue eyes.

However, it would take only one example of a black person with blue eyes to refute the idea.
At which point it would be proven absolutely that the hypothesis is incorrect.
Nice explanation.

Yes, it's true in principle; but in practice, even falsification isn't absolutely certain; falsification is far more effective and reliable than verification, but, like any human endeavour is fallible itself. Multiple falsifications of an hypothesis via independent means or methods will get you as close to absolute certainty as makes no practical difference, but you can never be absolutely certain. I'm absolutely certain of that ;)

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟327,686.00
Faith
Atheist
Brain in a vat? Stand anything tall? I'm afraid I don't speak gibberish; care to repeat that in English?
'Brain in a vat' is solipsism lite - the idea is that the information your senses tell you could be entirely fake, and, in true Hammer Horror or Twilight Zone style, you're just a brain floating in a jar, being fed convincing sensory information by the stimulation of your nerves.

I suppose the modern equivalent would be being in the Matrix.

If you were just a brain in a jar, you wouldn't have a body to measure, so you wouldn't be any measure of tall (you wouldn't stand anything tall).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Chriliman

Everything I need to be joyful is right here
May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
'Brain in a vat' is solipsism lite - the idea is that the information your senses tell you could be entirely fake, and, in true Hammer Horror or Twilight Zone style, you're just a brain floating in a jar, being fed convincing sensory information by the stimulation of your nerves.

I suppose the modern equivalent would be being in the Matrix.

If you were just a brain in a jar, you wouldn't have a body to measure, so you wouldn't be any measure of tall (you wouldn't stand anything tall).

Lets assume for a second that the truth is that we're all brains in vats. How could this truth be proven true?

If it were proven true, wouldn't the next question be "why are we all brains in vats?" Implying a higher more complex reason for why we're all brains in vats. Which would then show that the fact that we're all brains in vats is actually not the absolute truth(it would be a fact) because it raises more questions and implies an even more meaningful truth that beckons to be understood.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟434,555.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Lets assume for a second that the truth is that we're all brains in vats. How could this truth be proven true?

If it were proven true, wouldn't the next question be "why are we all brains in vats?" Implying a higher more complex reason for why we're all brains in vats. Which would then show that the fact that we're all brains in vats is actually not the absolute truth(it would be a fact) because it raises more questions and implies an even more meaningful truth that beckons to be understood.
It cant be proven true. And no one said it could.

Upvote 0

Chriliman

Everything I need to be joyful is right here
May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It cant be proven true. And no one said it could.

It's a hypothetical.

I'm curious as to how you're so certain that this truth can't be proven true? Was it proven false to you? This is the only explanation for your apparent certainty.

Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Nice explanation.

Yes, it's true in principle; but in practice, even falsification isn't absolutely certain; falsification is far more effective and reliable than verification, but, like any human endeavour is fallible itself. Multiple falsifications of an hypothesis via independent means or methods will get you as close to absolute certainty as makes no practical difference, but you can never be absolutely certain. I'm absolutely certain of that ;)

I can not rationally argue against this.
I have to concede. You are correct. :)

Perhaps I'll rephrase and say that such falsification is as close to "certain" as it can rationally get? :)

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟434,555.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
It's a hypothetical.

I'm curious as to how you're so certain that this truth can't be proven true? Was it proven false to you? This is the only explanation for your apparent certainty.
Yes. Its a hypothetical situation that destroys any certainty of sensory input.

Upvote 0