Brisbane Qld Australia
✟247,184.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Stevevw

Do you know what confirmation bias is?

The words you said that I quoted describe confirmation bias.

You said

You specifically said that no matter that one verse says, it must mean what you conclude the overall meaning of the book to be. That's what that means.
Its called character witness. If many people come out and say the person is of good standing in court and one says he is not who do they believe. Thats how our justice system works. But I was making the point that even the one person making the point about God being bad is wrong because they have misinterpreted the bible. So there isn't any bad stuff to begin with to bring up against God in court. But even so the large number of good things said about Him should show that something is amiss about the credibility of those who are trying to make out that God is bad it contradicts the large amount to good stuff.

I immediately told you the chapter where god condones rape as soon as you initially asked, then I told you again.... and then I reminded you again.

If you're having this problem why would I conclude that you don't have similar problems with the bible? You scan and read the parts you think are important.
Sorry I got caught up in debating other things as we had a few topics going and forgot. But I went back and found it. But I sense now you are attacking my credibility as well as Gods now.

Stevewv

The bible says god caused those things. You think god had a reason to cause those rapes in Isaiah 13 and for women to be burned in Leviticus... which makes you a psychopath. Well it was good talking to you steve.
Did you even read the links I posted with my reply. There was at least 10 expert scholars who have commentary on Issiah's prophesy. I think they are much more knowledgeable than you in determining what is going on here. Gods penalty for rape was death so why would God go against His own laws. Besides Issiah's prophesy was 175 years before the events and they didn't even happen that way. It was a lot less hostile in the end. Jeremiah and King David also made prophesies so have you read those. You have to also read all the associated bible sections that are related to this. These prophesies even relate to the end times that havnt happened yet.

The prophesies are talking about an invading army coming to attack Babylon. The Medes and Persians were attacking many nations and expanding their empire. Gods prophets may have predicted Babylons downfall and judgement through war but what happens in war is not Gods doing. That is the doing of men and thats how wars were fought. There was a lot of killing children and attacking women in war in those days and it had nothing to do with God. Its like blaming God for the wars we have now and all the things that happen. Or for earth quakes and poverty. In some ways they are Gods judgement for humans rejecting God. But what individuals do is not Gods fault.

But it looks like you have already made up your mind so I guess we will have to agree to disagree. Thats Ok you have a right to your own opinion and I can accept that.
All the best Steve.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟247,184.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If I use my subjective view, it can be anything I make it into.
Thats right, thats how subjective morality works. That shows its unreliable and untrustworthy because it could be anything or any set of standards you believe to be OK. You are stating that what God did was wrong and judging His actions which is saying that you are now the one who knows what is is ultimately right or wrong. To another person what they do morally is right according to them under subjective morality so you cant judge them as being ultimately wrong. You can think they are wrong according to your view but you cant judge them as ultimately wrong. On what basis do you judge right and wrong.

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟247,184.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So why do parts of the bible command people to kill those who practice witchcraft?
This applied to the Israelites under the Mosaic Law. They didn't go searching for witches around the country side to execute them. God had forbidden the Israelites from practicing sorcery and seeking fortune tellers and all the other things associated with idol worship. He knew what it represented. Normally it was the Nations like the Canaanites who did this as it was associated with idol worship, sexual immorality and child sacrifice.

I doubt this is absolutely the case. Only the accusation of witchcraft was often enough to warrant the following:

Tie heavy weights to the accused woman, throw her in the river, if she drowns, she is not a witch, if she is a witch, she will levitate out of the water by witchcraft. Therefore, mere accusation meant death either way.
Well that just shows how they were adding their own superstitious beliefs.

And yet it is clearly not, in the real world. Some Christians believe contraception a sin, others don't. Some Christians believe in capital punishment, others don't. Some Christians believe on forcing their moral codes through government legislation, others don't. How can that be objective morality?
Just because some Christians try to add their own ideas to the Gods teachings doesn't mean that His laws are not clear. It just means that some are not will to accept them and want to change them and have the best of both worlds. These people want to have one foot in the secular world and one in heaven. If you look at Jesus did He say it was OK to take matters into your own hand as a Christian and put someone to death. He actually stopped the women who was going to be stoned and said those who are without sin cast the first stone.

Contraception itself isnt the act of a sin. The act of a sin is sex outside marriage. Forcing moral codes through governments is not a sin. The views of different Christians is not a sin. Some believe they can mix politics with religion and other believe its not a good idea. But none of this is morally wrong or a sin. This is where people get confused. They cite all the fringe differences and meanings around a moral as the moral itself.

Your morality will differ from many Christians.
No it will be the same for all Christians. Our morality is Gods morality which is found in the life and example of Jesus. Thats the point it isn't our morality like secular society which believes in subjective morality. It is the objective morality of God.

There certainly is a grey area. Hence why we have over 40,000 different sets of Christianity who believe slightly, or sometimes drastically, different things.
No the majority believe the same thing. They all believe in the 10 commandments. They all believe in the teachings of Jesus. There are some who have different views on Jesus or the bible itself. But thats different and if they change the receipt book then they will also go astray with the instructions. The different christian groups are like different clubs all following the same sport. They all believe in football they just happen to be different clubs. If some religions have different ways of expressing how they deal with a moral in today's world that has nothing to do with them having a different moral. It just means they have a different view about how to apply that same moral in today's world.

The bible is wrong about so many things that I have no reason to suspect it gets morality correct.
Thats your opinion but millions of Christians would disagree.

Conscience doesn't tell me to stone a woman for committing adultery, nor to kill a murderer for murdering someone else. Obviously some professed Christians, aren't Christian to you, then.
Of course, Jesus said this when he criticized the pharisees for being hypocrites. They pretended to be holy on the outside reciting all the dos and donts about but didn't do it themselves. It was even about intention and the state of the heart. Yeah they put their money in the poor jar. But they made sure everyone knew it and only put in a little that they would miss. It was the old widow who put in her last penny that Jesus acknowledged was a true Christian.
Perhaps you could give me the exact interpretation of the bible's morality which is objective and correct, so we can be done with denominationalism and dispel any great myths.
There are to many to list. But the most important thing is its not just about a list of dos and donts. Its about being born again by accepting Jesus into your life. This way you crucify your old sinful self and rise again with Jesus a new person born of the spirit of God. That way you are no longer a slave to sin but are living for God. You want to please God and Jesus is living in you so you become like Him. Its the only way. But as a result you bear the fruits of the spirit. So you keep Gods laws as a matter of consequence anyway. But as an overall commandment Jesus said all the laws can be summed up in one commandment. To love others as you love yourself. So this will cut right across everything and affect your behavior in many ways and not just the letter of the law but the spirit of the law.

But here are some of the teachings of Jesus.
Listing of the Teachings of Jesus Christ
https://www.lds.org/manual/the-life-and-teachings-of-jesus-and-his-apostles?lang=eng

But you can't, because you can't know for sure that your interpretation of the bible is any more or less correct than another Christian from another denomination who interprets it differently. Thus practically, in the real world, "God's morality" is far from objective and certain.
Theres nothing to get wrong or misinterpret. What else could you interpret into Love others as you love yourself for example or if you see someone hungry or in need help them.

Again, the bible's morality is not synonymous with natural conscience.
What is a natural conscience. It sounds like a rationalization to me. A conscience is a conscience. See remember Jesus talked about a mans heart and what was on the inside. So a person may be able to get away with something according to mans law or societies law but He cant with God. Thats why people can still feel guilty even when they maybe innocent according to our laws.

So God's morality changes depending on culture and circumstance. How convenient is that for proponent's of its objectivity willing to bend it to their own wills?
No the moral laws apply to everyone. But the Isrealites were a nations of priest and performed all the ceremonies associated with sacrifice for sin so there were ceremonial laws associated with them. There was also the social laws like we have with our local councils that deal with things like civil disputes ect which applied to the Hebrews for the type of society they lived in. Its the same today for us. A different country may have different civil laws than say the US or Australia. I would rather any other civil law then Australia because we have 100s or silly laws that just complicate everything. But the moral laws like the 10 commandments went on to apply to all.

Upvote 0
K

Kiritsugu Emiyah

stevevw

Its called character witness. If many people come out and say the person is of good standing in court and one says he is not who do they believe. Thats how our justice system works. But I was making the point that even the one person making the point about God being bad is wrong because they have misinterpreted the bible. So there isn't any bad stuff to begin with to bring up against God in court. But even so the large number of good things said about Him should show that something is amiss about the credibility of those who are trying to make out that God is bad it contradicts the large amount to good stuff.

You specifically said that the way a scripture is interpretted must be in agreement with your overall conclusion of the rest of the bible. That's confirmation bias. When god has a woman raped or burned... you then in turn say it must be good because that's your over all conclusion of the bible. It's confirmation bias.

Sorry I got caught up in debating other things as we had a few topics going and forgot. But I went back and found it. But I sense now you are attacking my credibility as well as Gods now.

Duh, Yes I am. You support a raping and murdering god, not a credible one.

Yes my mind is made up, as is your own. It's really very simple.

Isaiah 13.
I have commanded ... Their children also shall be dashed to pieces before their eyes; their houses shall be spoiled, and their wives ravished.

Your god told the Isrealites to burn women to death... it's really simple.

Upvote 0

stevenfrancis

Disciple
Dec 28, 2012
United States
Visit site
✟40,142.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I disagreed with you on your assertion that a god's choice or desire would be the determining factor in morality... because... if he were to do certain things he'd obviously be bad for doing them, they wouldn't become good just because he did them.

You claim that your god is good, then why did he have women raped, men women and children murdered in the bible?

That you think your god is a standard of morality is silly and that you think your god is good at all is silly.

Hi again:

Since you keep referring to the one and only God (from both philosophy and theology), as "A" god, I can see where you would find human actions to attribute to THE God, as you view God in apparently as one among many, or at least this is what I derive from the way you speak in your posts. Later you referred to "my" God as silly as either the standard for morality, or as being all good (love/agape/caritas). I'll put aside that this is arrogant, dismissive, and pompous, and try to steer back to the truth. I'm not sure what I've said to inspire that sentiment, but I apologize if I have likewise seemed that way to you.

I am not a polytheist, atheist, or pantheist. I am a monotheist. All philosophy that I studied which stayed on solid axioms as building blocks, led in reason, (before I even had the gift of faith), to the this stance as being reasonable. The God of Abraham and Isaac, can be spoken of at the same table, among intelligent people, if they are truly open and in a lifelong pursuit of objective truth. It struck me from the beginning as more plausable than pagan mythology, gnosticism, or atheism. But as one seeking truth, I'll listen to and evaluate other arguments fairly, and try to understand them within the context in which they are presented, and then discern. I don't have, or claim to have any superior and secret knowledge, and I don't presume anyone's current state of understanding the things to be silly without having done an enormous amount of research into what led them to their current belief, and even then, it's not something I would tend to toss out in a conversation with the person.

I'm a backward theologian. That is, my experience of Judeo/Christian theology didn't start with Genesis in the Bible, and then move through in some orderly fashion to Revelation, and then on to the Fathers and so on. It began with an emptiness to my worldview, that I couldn't put my finger on. I studied and practiced Buddhism and other things for a little over 30 years, even having had brushes with Christianity during that time, I wasn't sold. I finally began reading the Gospels, and discussing them with a Christian friend at work. Long long story short, I encountered Christ. Sooner or later in our lives we are destined for this encounter at some time or another. When it happend to me, I had to make a set of decisions. Did He exist at all? Everything I studies led me to believe that Yes, He existed. This Christ besides opening my heart challenged me and everything I believed. The Holy Gospels were, (and continue to be), the most challenging thing I have ever read, studied, meditated on, discussed, and eventually began trying to live out. I have come to believe that Jesus of Nazareth, was indeed who He claimed to be by a perponderance of the evidence at hand, many conversations with people, and eventually much prayer and meditation.

So now, without having even taken a serious look at the OT, I came to trust and believe Jesus. It is said that faith itself is a gift. We can't earn it, but it is freely given to those who seek or ask. So, THEN, with the premise that Jesus was in fact the incarnation of God Himself in human history, it meant that other things had to be true as well. I couldn't have it both ways. If Jesus is who He claimed to be, it is the most significant thing we can know, and it changes everything. In ourselves. In our worldview. and finally, to the point at hand, our walk through the evolving relationship of man with our creator, documented by the Hebrew people as the "Old Testament" of the Holy Bible. I absorb the Old Testament slowly. I began by going from footnotes in the New Testament to passages in the OT. When I began attending the Holy Mass, I began being exposed to huge amounts of scripture, and by now, I have read or heard in the context of liturgy all of the Old Testament with some exceptions, I'm sure. I am mostly interested from the OT how it foretells, foreshadows, and documents the coming of the Christ in order to mend all the wounds caused by sin, and the hard hearts of man throughout our history.

When read with a world view that doesn't already know of the fulfillment of the messianic prophesies in Jesus, the Old Testament can seem very dark and very harsh. This is, in every instance that I have found, attributed to man, and his fallen nature. I don't know of any instances where God "decided" to cause people to rape each other. (an unusually frequented topic in your posts).

Since you and I don't even possess the same philosophical axioms and foundations. Since it hasn't been revealed to you in a concrete way that Jesus is Lord to the Glory of the Father, I'm certain that I can not walk you through the Old Testament maze of peculiar events and histories leading up to God becoming incarnate among men. It wasn't pretty, for sure. But frankly, in the progression of mankind, and in the context of the times that are documented in the OT, the people of Judea, even under the Levitical law, were light years ahead of the other cultures in the near East regarding leniency, and fairness in judgement.

If you are truly interested in exploring other ideas, and not just itching to criticize those with a Judeo Christian world view as being "silly", I'd like to recommend a book to you, or anyone else trying to grapple with early to mid stage man and their God as depicted in Old Testament. I read it in order to understand some things I read in the OT myself. It's called "Is God a Moral Monster? (Making sense of the Old Testament God)", by Paul Copan. The author goes patiently through the most challenging writings of the Old Testament in an enlightening and engaging way, that truly can help us to understand this time of man's history and his relationship with God until the incarnation. The OT is a stumbling block for so many people, and it was for me as well. Just this book didn't change that, nor do I expect it will change that for you, but it should help at least to allow you see some of the most challenging OT writings in a new and fresh light. Just a friendly suggestion.

As to this thread, I'm going let it go now, because I don't get a sense of anything productive or charitable coming from it in the immediate future. Your'e certainly welcome to have "the last word", so to speak if you find it necessary.

Peace on your journey,
May God bless and keep you,

Steve

Upvote 0
K

Kiritsugu Emiyah

Stevefrancis

Isaiah 13

1 The burden of Babylon, which Isaiah the son of Amoz did see.
2 Lift ye up a banner upon the high mountain, exalt the voice unto them, shake the hand, that they may go into the gates of the nobles.
3 I have commanded my sanctified ones, I have also called my mighty ones for mine anger, even them that rejoice in my highness.
4 The noise of a multitude in the mountains, like as of a great people; a tumultuous noise of the kingdoms of nations gathered together: the Lord of hosts mustereth the host of the battle.
5 They come from a far country, from the end of heaven, even the Lord, and the weapons of his indignation, to destroy the whole land.
6 Howl ye; for the day of the Lord is at hand; it shall come as a destruction from the Almighty.
7 Therefore shall all hands be faint, and every man's heart shall melt:
8 And they shall be afraid: pangs and sorrows shall take hold of them; they shall be in pain as a woman that travaileth: they shall be amazed one at another; their faces shall be as flames.
9 Behold, the day of the Lord cometh, cruel both with wrath and fierce anger, to lay the land desolate: and he shall destroy the sinners thereof out of it.
10 For the stars of heaven and the constellations thereof shall not give their light: the sun shall be darkened in his going forth, and the moon shall not cause her light to shine.
11 And I will punish the world for their evil, and the wicked for their iniquity; and I will cause the arrogancy of the proud to cease, and will lay low the haughtiness of the terrible.
12 I will make a man more precious than fine gold; even a man than the golden wedge of Ophir.
13 Therefore I will shake the heavens, and the earth shall remove out of her place, in the wrath of the Lord of hosts, and in the day of his fierce anger.
14 And it shall be as the chased roe, and as a sheep that no man taketh up: they shall every man turn to his own people, and flee every one into his own land.
15 Every one that is found shall be thrust through; and every one that is joined unto them shall fall by the sword.
16 Their children also shall be dashed to pieces before their eyes; their houses shall be spoiled, and their wives ravished.
17 Behold, I will stir up the Medes against them, which shall not regard silver; and as for gold, they shall not delight in it.
18 Their bows also shall dash the young men to pieces; and they shall have no pity on the fruit of the womb; their eyes shall not spare children.
19 And Babylon, the glory of kingdoms, the beauty of the Chaldees' excellency, shall be as when God overthrew Sodom and Gomorrah.
20 It shall never be inhabited, neither shall it be dwelt in from generation to generation: neither shall the Arabian pitch tent there; neither shall the shepherds make their fold there.
21 But wild beasts of the desert shall lie there; and their houses shall be full of doleful creatures; and owls shall dwell there, and satyrs shall dance there.
22 And the wild beasts of the islands shall cry in their desolate houses, and dragons in their pleasant palaces: and her time is near to come, and her days shall not be prolonged.

Levitus 21.9

A priest's daughter who loses her honor by committing fornication and thereby dishonors her father also, shall be burned to death.

How could your god be morally good at all, much less the creator and rule of all morality?

If your god did happen to be a good god, even if he was... how would his opinion or decision be the rule for morality? something being right or wrong isn't determined by a person in authority.

If you sinned and god told me to rape you in judgement of your sin, would i be morally good for raping you?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mediate

Only Borrowed
Jan 31, 2013
✟8,492.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Single
This applied to the Israelites under the Mosaic Law. They didn't go searching for witches around the country side to execute them. God had forbidden the Israelites from practicing sorcery and seeking fortune tellers and all the other things associated with idol worship. He knew what it represented. Normally it was the Nations like the Canaanites who did this as it was associated with idol worship, sexual immorality and child sacrifice.

Well that just shows how they were adding their own superstitious beliefs.

Just because some Christians try to add their own ideas to the Gods teachings doesn't mean that His laws are not clear. It just means that some are not will to accept them and want to change them and have the best of both worlds. These people want to have one foot in the secular world and one in heaven. If you look at Jesus did He say it was OK to take matters into your own hand as a Christian and put someone to death. He actually stopped the women who was going to be stoned and said those who are without sin cast the first stone.

Contraception itself isnt the act of a sin. The act of a sin is sex outside marriage. Forcing moral codes through governments is not a sin. The views of different Christians is not a sin. Some believe they can mix politics with religion and other believe its not a good idea. But none of this is morally wrong or a sin. This is where people get confused. They cite all the fringe differences and meanings around a moral as the moral itself.

No it will be the same for all Christians. Our morality is Gods morality which is found in the life and example of Jesus. Thats the point it isn't our morality like secular society which believes in subjective morality. It is the objective morality of God.

No the majority believe the same thing. They all believe in the 10 commandments. They all believe in the teachings of Jesus. There are some who have different views on Jesus or the bible itself. But thats different and if they change the receipt book then they will also go astray with the instructions. The different christian groups are like different clubs all following the same sport. They all believe in football they just happen to be different clubs. If some religions have different ways of expressing how they deal with a moral in today's world that has nothing to do with them having a different moral. It just means they have a different view about how to apply that same moral in today's world.

Thats your opinion but millions of Christians would disagree.

Of course, Jesus said this when he criticized the pharisees for being hypocrites. They pretended to be holy on the outside reciting all the dos and donts about but didn't do it themselves. It was even about intention and the state of the heart. Yeah they put their money in the poor jar. But they made sure everyone knew it and only put in a little that they would miss. It was the old widow who put in her last penny that Jesus acknowledged was a true Christian.
There are to many to list. But the most important thing is its not just about a list of dos and donts. Its about being born again by accepting Jesus into your life. This way you crucify your old sinful self and rise again with Jesus a new person born of the spirit of God. That way you are no longer a slave to sin but are living for God. You want to please God and Jesus is living in you so you become like Him. Its the only way. But as a result you bear the fruits of the spirit. So you keep Gods laws as a matter of consequence anyway. But as an overall commandment Jesus said all the laws can be summed up in one commandment. To love others as you love yourself. So this will cut right across everything and affect your behavior in many ways and not just the letter of the law but the spirit of the law.

But here are some of the teachings of Jesus.
Listing of the Teachings of Jesus Christ
https://www.lds.org/manual/the-life-and-teachings-of-jesus-and-his-apostles?lang=eng

Theres nothing to get wrong or misinterpret. What else could you interpret into Love others as you love yourself for example or if you see someone hungry or in need help them.

What is a natural conscience. It sounds like a rationalization to me. A conscience is a conscience. See remember Jesus talked about a mans heart and what was on the inside. So a person may be able to get away with something according to mans law or societies law but He cant with God. Thats why people can still feel guilty even when they maybe innocent according to our laws.

No the moral laws apply to everyone. But the Isrealites were a nations of priest and performed all the ceremonies associated with sacrifice for sin so there were ceremonial laws associated with them. There was also the social laws like we have with our local councils that deal with things like civil disputes ect which applied to the Hebrews for the type of society they lived in. Its the same today for us. A different country may have different civil laws than say the US or Australia. I would rather any other civil law then Australia because we have 100s or silly laws that just complicate everything. But the moral laws like the 10 commandments went on to apply to all.

Steve, morality's definition is "principles concerning the distinction between right and wrong behaviour". Now, in the bible we see a change in old testament customs and moral practices when compared with new testament customs and practices. It is, in many parts of the old testament, whether for the Jews or not for the Jews, propagated that a woman who commits adultery should be stoned to death, by the decree of God, or at least of those who profess to be messengers of this God. While in the new testament, Jesus is illustrated to have forgiven an adulterous woman on the grounds that none who wanted to stone her were themselves free of sinful behaviours or thoughts.

Those two teachings are diametrically opposing and yet the bible tells us that God does not change.. On the one hand, we have an old testament God who commands the stoning of adulterers, and on the other we have a man who practices forgiveness for those who commit the sin.

So let's look at the assertion "God's morality is objective" from a logical standpoint then.

The meaning of the word objective is "uninfluenced by personal feelings or opinions", and so it may very well be true that "God's morality is objective", but to prove that, you would have to prove that:

1. God exists (no easy feat in and of itself).
2. After proving that God exists, that God's morality is based on objective fact rather than God's personal feelings, unless you can prove that God's viewpoints (after proving he exists) are infallible, unbiased and thereby "objective".
3. Most crucially, that in interpreting God's law, man can genuinely come to a proven, absolutely objective consensus on the correct, objective interpretation of "God's morality".

The first has not been proven, thus nor can the second be, and by simple virtue of man's inherently individual and unique perceptional influences, the third is also impossible to prove.

Thus, in practical terms, an objective "God's morality" is not actually known for certain, nor applicable in the real world.

As we see in the history of planet Earth, even within the bible, moral ''rights and wrongs" evolve and change. For something to be objective, thus absolutely a cosmically correct, unemotional, unbiased fact, it must be consistent. God's morality has not, historically, been consistent. Thus God's morality is no objective.

For something to be objective, it must also be not in any way influenced by personal feeling, and yet, in interpreting moral codes in the bible, or in any lierature in fact, people colour their interpretation by levying the experience against memories, personal feelings, thoughts, and summarily their personal experience of consciousness. Thus, interpreting "God's morality" is not an objective practice.

But perhaps most pertinently, belief in God is rooted in personal feeling. There is no objective proof that God exists. God exists in the minds of believers because they have "faith" that he exists. That is, of course, the very definition of "personal feeling" and "biased opinion".

The very schemes you use for aggregating morality -- when you say "It's God's will" -- come from a root belief unsubstantiated by any logical or objective facts. God's existence is not an objective fact, whereas that people exist and people wish to be happy (the basis for MY morality) is much closer to a real, objective fact. Thus, technically, my moral aggregations are more objective than yours.

I base my morality off the common wants and needs of human beings, you base yours off the deontological rules and codes laid down by a select few millennia ago.

Now, there is a complicating factor. There is an area where our moralities converge, in that you believe to some degree or another that the idea of empathy -- do unto others -- is important in moral deliberation.

On this we agree.

However, that does not mean the same thing to everyone. What one person professes they want done to them, thus does to someone else, might differ from what the person being done upon actually wants. And when you think about it, even that saying -- do unto others as you would have them do unto you -- relies on a personal intuition or feeling of what I would want done unto me. Again, this is the very definition of subjective -- influences by personal feeling or bias.

A cosmic morality may indeed exist, but if it does, it is outside our sphere of ability to interpret objectively or apply objectively. For all intents and purposes, objective morality cannot be utilized by humans. It may well exist, but it would make no difference to our ability to interpret and apply if it did not exist. The world is the same either way.

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟247,184.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Steve, morality's definition is "principles concerning the distinction between right and wrong behaviour". Now, in the bible we see a change in old testament customs and moral practices when compared with new testament customs and practices. It is, in many parts of the old testament, whether for the Jews or not for the Jews, propagated that a woman who commits adultery should be stoned to death, by the decree of God, or at least of those who profess to be messengers of this God. While in the new testament, Jesus is illustrated to have forgiven an adulterous woman on the grounds that none who wanted to stone her were themselves free of sinful behaviors or thoughts.

Those two teachings are diametrically opposing and yet the bible tells us that God does not change.. On the one hand, we have an old testament God who commands the stoning of adulterers, and on the other we have a man who practices forgiveness for those who commit the sin.
As I said you are confusing the punishment with the crime. In both cases a women that commits adultery has sinned. The difference is in the old testament she would be sentenced to death. In the new testament she is forgiven by Jesus. But on both occasions she is guilty of the sin of adultery so nothing has changed as far as that being a sin. Jesus came to be the fulfillment of the old testament laws. There was no Jesus in old testament times so there were punishments and atonement for sin such as with the sacrifices and rituals. But Jesus became the ultimate sacrifice for everyone's sin so in Jesus we have forgiveness and are made right before God.

So let's look at the assertion "God's morality is objective" from a logical standpoint then.
The meaning of the word objective is "uninfluenced by personal feelings or opinions", and so it may very well be true that "God's morality is objective", but to prove that, you would have to prove that:

1. God exists (no easy feat in and of itself).
2. After proving that God exists, that God's morality is based on objective fact rather than God's personal feelings, unless you can prove that God's viewpoints (after proving he exists) are infallible, unbiased and thereby "objective".
3. Most crucially, that in interpreting God's law, man can genuinely come to a proven, absolutely objective consensus on the correct, objective interpretation of "God's morality".

The first has not been proven, thus nor can the second be, and by simple virtue of man's inherently individual and unique perceptional influences, the third is also impossible to prove.
Thus, in practical terms, an objective "God's morality" is not actually known for certain, nor applicable in the real world.
It is to a Christian.

As we see in the history of planet Earth, even within the bible, moral ''rights and wrongs" evolve and change. For something to be objective, thus absolutely a cosmically correct, unemotional, unbiased fact, it must be consistent. God's morality has not, historically, been consistent. Thus God's morality is no objective.
As I have already shown Gods morality has been consistent. You are confusing the punishment with the crimes. Its like if a Nation decides to use capital punishment for murder then changes it to life in prison. Murder is still wrong but the punishment has changed.

For something to be objective, it must also be not in any way influenced by personal feeling, and yet, in interpreting moral codes in the bible, or in any literature in fact, people colour their interpretation by levying the experience against memories, personal feelings, thoughts, and summarily their personal experience of consciousness. Thus, interpreting "God's morality" is not an objective practice.
Maybe in secular society it does and thats because it bases morality on subjective views.
But if you notice for example with say killing that there maybe different meanings to what killing represents in different cultures. One Nation may say killing a person who is in pain is OK and another will say this is wrong. The nation that allows a person in pain to be killed isn't changing their moral view of killing being wrong. They are just allowing an exception under that moral. So this is where people get confused and take an exception and make that a moral in itself. Where it is not. The basic moral of killing is still wrong for both situations.

But perhaps most pertinently, belief in God is rooted in personal feeling. There is no objective proof that God exists. God exists in the minds of believers because they have "faith" that he exists. That is, of course, the very definition of "personal feeling" and "biased opinion".
That is according to you because you dont believe and have faith. As I said the bible tells us that evidence for God is seen in His creation. When I look at the moon floating in the sky just outside the earth I see God. I see God in nature. I think how can this be without a creator. The Holy spirit testifies to me on a daily basis about God and the bible tells us that this would happen. It is when a person accepts Christs that they are open to the spirit of God. As the bible says some people look but they do not see.

The premise that a person gets his feelings mixed up with belief is saying that I am emotionally confused and unable to tell the difference. That is wrong and you cant know this. I am stable in my life and dont display these things. I am old enough and wise enough to know the difference. I dont display this in any other area of my life and that would be expected if a person was so gullible or unsure to do that. The point is can you honestly disprove God or that a believer doesn't truly know God.

The very schemes you use for aggregating morality -- when you say "It's God's will" -- come from a root belief unsubstantiated by any logical or objective facts. God's existence is not an objective fact, whereas that people exist and people wish to be happy (the basis for MY morality) is much closer to a real, objective fact. Thus, technically, my moral aggregations are more objective than yours.
Thats according to how you see things. What if God is real then I am following the true morality for life. The evidence pans itself out in the small things that confirm God is working in a persons life. All together it becomes more than coincidence or emotion. Besides if it works it works. It seems people of faith have a good life and better results in many areas according to research.

I base my morality off the common wants and needs of human beings, you base yours off the deontological rules and codes laid down by a select few millennia ago.
We have seen that the morality of man kind does not work. We constantly see a conflict or problems as the result of following what people have thought to be right. Only to find later that it created more problems. We have seen where even agreed values and rights were wrong such as with many laws we have set in society that have caused problems and further complicated things.

If morality is subjective then that is saying there is no true set of morals. If that is the case then no one really knows what is best. It is reliant on fallible humans who cant know everything such as future consequence's of decisions. Wouldn't it make sense to trust an outside independent set of morals that were correct and were designed to give us the best way to live. As I said at least some studies have shown that following a religious way of life can lead to better outcomes physically, mentally, emotionally and even financially.

Now, there is a complicating factor. There is an area where our moralities converge, in that you believe to some degree or another that the idea of empathy -- do unto others -- is important in moral deliberation.

On this we agree.

However, that does not mean the same thing to everyone. What one person professes they want done to them, thus does to someone else, might differ from what the person being done upon actually wants. And when you think about it, even that saying -- do unto others as you would have them do unto you -- relies on a personal intuition or feeling of what I would want done unto me. Again, this is the very definition of subjective -- influences by personal feeling or bias.
As i mentioned we all have the laws of God written in our hearts. So we will all know of these truths. But some will diverge and try to change things in varying degrees. Some will even deny Gods truths and inject human thinking (worldly thinking) and replace Gods truths with their own versions. Normally this is to do with a person wanting to be their own gods and justify defying Gods laws. But we can certainly have similar values and morals to God but just not realize that this is where they came from in the first place.

But just because a person sees things different as to how they want to apply those truths doesn't mean the original truth is different to each person. They all still believe that in the same moral of doing unto other as you would want done to you. I would imagine if you really analysed it there would be some core truths within this as well like not harming, helping when hungry or thirsty, making warm when cold or unclothed ect. The fringe meanings just stem from these and may vary individually.

A cosmic morality may indeed exist, but if it does, it is outside our sphere of ability to interpret objectively or apply objectively. For all intents and purposes, objective morality cannot be utilized by humans. It may well exist, but it would make no difference to our ability to interpret and apply if it did not exist. The world is the same either way.
As I said I believe the laws of God are inbuilt and we can tap into them. We all know of them and thats when we try to align them with other philosophies or humane thinking. But its only when we accept Christ that we tune ourselves completely into Gods way. We are born again and get a God conscience. As I said before its not just about following a set of dos and donts. Its being transformed into a new creature that lives in the spirit of God. Sin cannot live in a body that has the spirit of God living in it. Then you want to please God and be obedient to Him because they are a child of God. Galatians 5 and Romans 8 speaks a lot about this.

Galatians5: 16 - 18
16 So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. 17 For the flesh desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh. They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever[c] you want. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Galatians+5&version=NIV

Romans 8: 1-3
8 Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, 2 because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit who gives life has set you[a] free from the law of sin and death. 3 For what the law was powerless to do because it was weakened by the flesh,[b] God did by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh to be a sin offering.[c] And so he condemned sin in the flesh,
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Romans+8

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟247,184.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Stevevw

If you sinned and refused to repent and god judged you by having me rape you. Just like he did in Isaiah 13.

Would it be good?
Its no sense debating with you on this anymore as you have decided what the conclusion is. Thats fair enough and thats what you believe and I can accept that. I happen to believe different and I am a decent person who believes in doing good to others. I show this in my life in practical ways. I actually help people in those situations as part of my work. So do many people who are Christians and we all believe in God. So Gods love is manifested in our lives through Jesus. So I guess at the end of the day the proof is in the pudding so to speak. It is shown by the fruits that Christians bear. They dont do any of the things you talk about but do the opposite and they follow the God you want to accuse of all these things.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
K

Kiritsugu Emiyah

Its no sense debating with you on this anymore as you have decided what the conclusion is. Thats fair enough and thats what you believe and I can accept that. I happen to believe different and I am a decent person who believes in doing good to others. I show this in my life in practical ways. I actually help people in those situations as part of my work. So do many people who are Christians and we all believe in God. So Gods love is manifested in our lives through Jesus. So I guess at the end of the day the proof is in the pudding so to speak. It is shown by the fruits that Christians bear. They dont do any of the things you talk about but do the opposite and they follow the God you want to accuse of all these things.

I serve in the United States Military, I do this as an honorable profession, I take care of my kids, I go to war to protect my friends... no one needs Jesus to be good and being good is not any evidence of the divine.

This isn't a debate Steve, if god did to YOU what he did the women in Isaiah 13.16... would it be good?

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟247,184.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I serve in the United States Military, I do this as an honorable profession, I take care of my kids, I go to war to protect my friends... no one needs Jesus to be good and being good is not any evidence of the divine.

This isn't a debate Steve, if god did to YOU what he did the women in Isaiah 13.16... would it be good?
My point was there are millions of Christians who follow God who you say is evil and use Him as their example. But they dont do any bad so obviously they dont see things the way you do. They cite God as their motivating factor and the reason why they live the life they do. Many dedicate their lives to helping people who are affected by things like abuse and receive no rewards apart from Gods grace.

There is evidence that a belief in God and religion helps a person have a good life so it does make a difference. There is also evidence that we all have a belief of God in us from birth and its not this evil one you talk about. So there is something amiss hear. If it were as obvious as you make out then they would be acting evil or at least showing some signs of this but they dont.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dave Ellis

Contributor
Dec 27, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
✟52,315.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-Conservatives
For the atheists: If you are truly honest doesn't atheism lead to nihilism?

I don't see how. That view presupposes that you need some kind of god in order to have value or meaning in your life. I find my life far more valuable because there isn't a god.

How can there be any objective moraility?

Pretty simple. The consequences of our actions are objective. If you hurt or kill someone, that's an objective fact, it's not up for debate. Likewise, if you brighten someone's day, or help them through a problem and make their life better, that is also objectively true.

Any definition of morality that I'm aware of deals with performing harmful or helpful actions for other people. While people may have different opinions on what constitutes harm or help, the actual objective consequences of those actions, and the fact they are objectively better or worse off due to your actions is not a subjective matter.

That's where objective morality is based.

On the flip side, I don't get where Christians believe they have an objective base for morality. If you believe morality is just a construct of instructions from your god, that is a necessarily subjective system.

You and various others may come to some consensus that you would prefer to live under some form of "humanism" but even here there is wide diversity among atheists as to what this means in practical application. A Marxist and a follower of Ayn Rand would come to very different conclusions on many aspects of how society should be arranged and how people should treat each other.

That's true, and as a result we've had a number of different styles of governments in human history. Again, if you focus on objective results, over time you can figure out what works, and what doesn't. Over time the system of government should improve, which is what we've seen throughout history. We're still not perfect by any means, however one would assume future civilizations would take what works in our best governments in the modern era, and eliminate or revamp the aspects of our system that don't work well.

But behind it all there is absolutely nothing extrinsically wrong with cutting a persons throat for the sheer pleasure and exhileration of doing so.

There is if you care about causing harm to others. I can demonstrate objectively that whoever's throat you cut is much worse off for your actions.

I'm rather troubled to think that your religion has brainwashed you so much that you can't recognize that simple fact.

Upvote 0

Dave Ellis

Contributor
Dec 27, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
✟52,315.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-Conservatives
My point was there are millions of Christians who follow God who you say is evil and use Him as their example. But they dont do any bad so obviously they dont see things the way you do. They cite God as their motivating factor and the reason why they live the life they do. Many dedicate their lives to helping people who are affected by things like abuse and receive no rewards apart from Gods grace.

Yes, but the god those people worship is not the god that's described in the bible, even if they claim it's the same being.

There is evidence that a belief in God and religion helps a person have a good life so it does make a difference. There is also evidence that we all have a belief of God in us from birth and its not this evil one you talk about. So there is something amiss hear. If it were as obvious as you make out then they would be acting evil or at least showing some signs of this but they dont.

Please present your evidence. As it stands you only have unsubstantiated claims.

Upvote 0

Mediate

Only Borrowed
Jan 31, 2013
✟8,492.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Single
For the atheists: If you are truly honest doesn't atheism lead to nihilism?

Only if you assume that purpose is synonymous with belief in God and a lack of belief in God is synonymous with a lack of purpose. I don't actually take that view, but you seem to. In my opinion, a belief in God results from a desire for purpose in someone who finds it difficult to find purpose from anywhere else.

I'm not a believer in the Abrahamic version of "God", and I feel like I have purpose. I think atheists can have purpose, too. That I don't believe in God does not mean that my life lacks meaning. Quite the contrary.

Sure, we're all essentially, at a root level, the exchange of electrons in various ways, but it doesn't logically follow that we're inherently worthless, or that life is inherently meaningless. Think: Out of the infinite length and depth and breadth of space with its countless molecules, stars, galaxies and planets, how many particles do we know of that have come together to form conscious life? Out of all the countless atoms, I am made of some of the exceptional among them.

The particles in my right eye come from different stars than the particles in my left eye.

So, yes, I might be "just particles" to you, if you try to assimilate my worldview, but you'd be wrong that such a view leads me to conclude there's no meaning. What you mean is that there's no existential meaning, no given purpose, no life-path objectively set out. That's why life is rare, and why it's valuable, and why it's precious. Knowing that the universe is utterly oblivious to me, knowing that I am made of the exceptional molecules among all the infinite stars, and knowing that the arising of consciousness is as improbable as it is -- yet here I am -- gives untold meaning to my life. I mean nothing to the universe, and in knowing that, life and those who have it are what mean everything to me.

Originally Posted by only a sojourner:
Q. How can there be an objective morality?

There can't be an objective morality. But there can be a morality based on common human desires, for instance, the innate desire to be happy. And by constructing such moralities, we can try to ensure that such desire is met fairly and evenly.

The consequences of an action are not "morality". The motives for the action, the ruminations regarding that action, and whether that action (or thought) is "right or wrong" to undertake, are morality. And distinctions of right and wrong vary.

For some Christians even, the death penalty is "right" in some cases. Thus, they say that the action of taking a murderer's life, is right, while for other Christians it is wrong. Differing moralities, based on differing subjective opinions.

Morality is not cosmically objective, logically. It is considered objective by people who arrive at that conclusion by subjective means. It is, ultimately, subjective, because it is influenced by human feeling, emotion, desire and belief.

That doesn't mean that morality has no grounding. Buddhist morality, for instance, has grounding in the idea that no human or sentient being likes to suffer. So to the Buddhist, the core of all morality should be to help suffering in oneself and others.

I would call that a pretty good morality. It takes into account cause, effect, motive, consequence and shared desires. Contrast that with Leviticus instructions to stone an adulteress. Where's the common human desire in that? Vengeance, perpetuation of suffering, violence. Not good things, in my opinion. Nobody wants to die without consent, at the hands of others, and very few wish to kill, actually.

Some might think it is objectively "better" to punish a thief for stealing bread for his family. Others my think it is objectively better not to. The common denominator there is that to think something is objective doesn't make it so. Both people believe what they believe, yet believe different things, yet assert their belief as objective.

Belief about right and wrong is totally subjective. It can't be objective, but it CAN be grounded in shared human desires.

You and various others may come to some consensus that you would prefer to live under some form of "humanism" but even here there is wide diversity among atheists as to what this means in practical application. A Marxist and a follower of Ayn Rand would come to very different conclusions on many aspects of how society should be arranged and how people should treat each other.

How to treat and not treat people are subjective opinions. I don't necessarily think Stalinism was beneficial for the people who were killed during his reign, but it worked for Stalin, subjectively. I also don't think an educational system purposed to indoctrinate human beings into believing money is inherently and inextricably a part of human existence and that the pursuance of it must drive the bulk of personal endeavour "works" on some objective scale, but it "works" subjectively for bankers and those who issue currency and those who are rich. It has form, function and mechanism, that doesn't mean it's great for everyone, nor does it mean it's "good" or "bad".

Everything is relative. Christian societies in the middle ages worked for priests, not so much for the people they were torturing.

Originally Posted by only a sojourner
But behind it all there is absolutely nothing extrinsically wrong with cutting a persons throat for the sheer pleasure and exhileration of doing so.

I disagree. I would not like to have my throat cut against my will. You would not like to have your throat cut against you will. That's a common desire everyone shares. Why not base morality off this idea, then?

You don't want your throat cut, and nor do I. I won't cut your throat, and you won't cut mine. I don't want you to sleep with my wife against my will, and so I won't sleep with your wife against yours. I don't want you to beat me up, so I won't beat you up. I don't want to be raped, so I won't rape. I don't want to be murdered, so I won't murder. I don't want my things taken against my will, so I won't take yours.

The most common, universal human desire is this: "I do not want to be violated, unconsensually and against my will".

That's what morality should be based upon; it's the closest thing we have to an objective standard.

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
Because God apparently doesn't speak for himself, people are left to interpret what God says is wrong or right. That sounds great to many people because they know what God says is right and what he says is wrong. Oddly, people seldom agree on this.

Ken

The trick is that God always agrees with the person who claims to be speaking for God. The other trick that isn't quite so successful is that we can see their lips move when they say, "God says".

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟247,184.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What the book says is obvious Steve...its right there.

If it was you, what then?
My point is the way you see it isn't obvious to millions of Christians. Its only the non believing people who see it that way and then I would say there were a certain amount of non believers who were fair in their judgements who would see things in their proper light by taking all things into consideration. Its normally some atheist site with titles like evil bible that make attacks and promote this type of stuff. Its as dogmatic as the religions they call evil and attack.

If God did happen to be like that and that happened to me I would be appalled and be upset. But thats the point none of the millions of Christians see it that way or feel that way about God. So are they all wrong. Normally non believers will start to also put down the Christians for being like this so they not only attack God but decent people who do a lot of good. They either say we are deluded or ignorant or live in a fantasy world and are out of touch with reality. Yet we all live a normal life and are just as real as anyone.

Upvote 0