Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,450.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
The only huge issue I have with rotary engines are in the Apex Seals. The apex seal must seal the cylinder as it travels its various states. If the apex seals go bad you will loose power. Another issue is that the engine must spray oil internally,which is not good for the environment.

Mazda Sheds More Light About The Rotary Engine Revival

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The only huge issue I have with rotary engines are in the Apex Seals. The apex seal must seal the cylinder as it travels its various states. If the apex seals go bad you will loose power. Another issue is that the engine must spray oil internally,which is not good for the environment.

Mazda Sheds More Light About The Rotary Engine Revival
And it's not efficient. And difficult to control the emissions.

Reactions: rockytopva
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And it's not efficient. And difficult to control the emissions.
THe efficiency was about the same as piston engines.

In the 1980s I actually came up with a design that I thought (on paper) had the potential for greater efficency due to less back and forth movement. Unfortunately I lacked the resources to either pursue a submission to existing manufacturers or to build a prototype for testing.

• Informative
Reactions: rockytopva
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
THe efficiency was about the same as piston engines.

In the 1980s I actually came up with a design that I thought (on paper) had the potential for greater efficency due to less back and forth movement. Unfortunately I lacked the resources to either pursue a submission to existing manufacturers or to build a prototype for testing.
Buckminster fuller released all his designs to the public as he created them. Post your design here and you might improve the world.

We don't drive Bucky cars now, but they are getting closer to his streamlined design every year.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Post your design here and you might improve the world.
I do not have any of those drawings any more. They all were lost in a flood a few years back. I still remember the general design, though.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I hope so, I'm an avid supporter of Mazda and the Rotary (and I used to work work Mazda as a senior designer). When I was still there, Rotary engines were working very well as a gas/hybrid electric set up. No idea where things are up to now though. Here's hoping !
The problem I saw with the piston, and to a lesser degree with the Wankel was a mass moving, stopping, moving, stopping, and so on. While the piston was a straight line action, the Wankel did the same thing only instead of straight line, it "wobbled" back and forth. That costs energy and momentum.

That was why I designed my system. Everything moved in either a circular or elliptical path. little loss of momentum.

Reactions: Nige55
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nige55

Mar 2, 2012
✟68,732.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The problem I saw with the piston, and to a lesser degree with the Wankel was a mass moving, stopping, moving, stopping, and so on. While the piston was a straight line action, the Wankel did the same thing only instead of straight line, it "wobbled" back and forth. That costs energy and momentum.

That was why I designed my system. Everything moved in either a circular or elliptical path. little loss of momentum.

Sounds interesting Dave !

Upvote 0

tas8831

May 5, 2017
Northeast
✟101,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married