Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
The dietary regulations were woven into the Old Covenant, designated for the members therein - the Jews. Unless you were in that covenant community, at that time, you were not obligated to keep these regulations. Also, the breaching of these regulations did not result in an eternal separation, since we have earned that through Adam, but rather cuts off those aforementioned members from the covenant blessings promised by the covenanted God. So, in breaking these rules, the Jew was cut off from the Old Covenant community and separated from enjoying such promises in Abraham. The New Covenant has different, and yet better, promises, such as deal with spiritual, eternal redemption.

• Winner
Reactions: pescador
Upvote 0

Bro.T--2

Aug 22, 2020
Chicago
✟15,610.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
It's my choice to believe in Jesus, the One who fulfilled the law, to believe that his death on the cross was enough and that he needs no help to save anyone - yes.

You haven't actually proved anything, you've just stated it.
God also told Noah that he gave him EVERYTHING for food.

This doesn't prove that Gentiles have to abstain from eating unclean animals, any more than it proves that everyone HAS to eat meat.

He is.
But the way he works is different. WE don't offer animal sacrifices - even Jews no longer do that. We don't go to the temple in Jerusalem to keep the important Jewish feasts - Jews have no temple so they can't do that.

I'm not talking about changing God's word, I'm talking about applying it.
Where do you read, or who says, that everyone HAS to apply every word of the Bible to their lives - that a word that was spoken to Noah about how to live in his world HAS to apply to us, living centuries later in a very different world?
How do you apply the commands about how to treat slaves, when we don't have slaves and believe that slavery is wrong?
How many people have you stoned to death for not keeping the Sabbath?
What do you do about all the verses where Paul teaches that circumcision is not only unnecessary but makes Christ's death worthless?
What about where Paul asks various people o come and visit him, or to bring him his cloak and scrolls - what's that got to do with us? How do we apply that? Yet your claim is that we have to believe EVERY word from God.

Again, you're giving OT verses and arguments and not addressing the fact that God came to earth and brought in the NEW Covenant, prophesied by Jeremiah.
Again, you are unable to answer the question, "are you saying that someone can come to Jesus, receive eternal life, become born again and made God's child, be given the Holy Spirit and every blessing in Christ - and be condemned to hell for eating a bacon sandwich?"

My guess is that your answer to that question would be "no"; that Jesus is our only Saviour, that he alone saves, not the law and our salvation can be achieved apart from the law.
Maybe you don't want to admit it though because that would contradict your argument.

Like I said, you keep every tittle of the law if you wish; I have Jesus.

Again, you're giving OT verses and arguments and not addressing the fact that God came to earth and brought in the NEW Covenant, prophesied by Jeremiah.
Again, you are unable to answer the question, "are you saying that someone can come to Jesus, receive eternal life, become born again and made God's child, be given the Holy Spirit and every blessing in Christ - and be condemned to hell for eating a bacon sandwich?"

If a person truly love God, and want enter in the new covenant with him, then that person have to learn to obey, “Every word" that proceeds out of the mouth of God, because we know that man shall not live by bread alone (Matthew 4:4). Now Baptism is one of those words.

In order to be baptized, certain events must take place: You must give up a lifestyle where sin has dominion, (ruler ship) over you. Sin according to 1 John 3:4, Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression (breaking) of the law. You must be taught "The Word", before you can adhere to God's commandments (judgments\statues). These laws are found in the Holy Bible; beginning with Genesis and ending with Revelation. You must believe what the bible says and finally, you must confess that Jesus is Lord. Once this has been accomplished, you are qualified to be baptized in the name of Jesus.

So that is the first steps to receiving eternal life. Most people don't get baptize according the Bible. The New Covenant doesn't work the way you think, it's much harder and stronger. Jesus says in Matthew 5:28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart. In the old Testament you can lust, but not touch. Jesus says in Matthew 5:29 And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell. Jesus says in Matthew 9:13 But go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance. So yes, if a person continue wilful sinning, even if its the dietary law, that person can get cut off.

Now to receive eternal life, become born again and made God's child, be given the Holy Spirit and every blessing in Christ. This is all work and faith, progress.

Upvote 0

Bro.T--2

Aug 22, 2020
Chicago
✟15,610.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
The dietary regulations were woven into the Old Covenant, designated for the members therein - the Jews. Unless you were in that covenant community, at that time, you were not obligated to keep these regulations. Also, the breaching of these regulations did not result in an eternal separation, since we have earned that through Adam, but rather cuts off those aforementioned members from the covenant blessings promised by the covenanted God. So, in breaking these rules, the Jew was cut off from the Old Covenant community and separated from enjoying such promises in Abraham. The New Covenant has different, and yet better, promises, such as deal with spiritual, eternal redemption.

Gentile are now under the same law as the Jews. It's part of the New Covenant, and Testament. Lets take a look into (Ephesians 2:11-22) let’s look at the 11th through 13th verses. "Wherefore remember, that ye being in the time past Gentiles in the flesh, who are called uncircumcision by that which is called the circumcision in the flesh made by hands; (12th vs.) That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenant of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world: (13th vs.) But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ." Now, Paul said in Romans 2:7 To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal life: 8 But unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath, 9 Tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile; 10 But glory, honour, and peace, to every man that worketh good, to the Jew first, and also to the Gentile: 11 For there is no respect of persons with God. 12 For as many as have sinned without law shall also perish without law: and as many as have sinned in the law shall be judged by the law; 13 (For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified.

• Agree
Reactions: Junia
Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,054,396.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In order to be baptized, certain events must take place:

No; Scripture says believe and be baptised - not do and be baptised.

You must give up a lifestyle where sin has dominion, (ruler ship) over you.

Jesus died for my sins, has freed me from the power of sin and deliberately and wilfully sinning is not now my desire or aim.

You must be taught "The Word", before you can adhere to God's commandments (judgments\statues). These laws are found in the Holy Bible; beginning with Genesis and ending with Revelation.

No - believe and be baptised.
The Ethiopian official read Isaiah 53, wanted to know who it was speaking about, Philip explained and preached the Gospel and the official was baptised. Philip did not say "first you must read all of the word (which they didn't have then), understand what sin is and keep ALL of God's law". We are not even told that the official repented.
The Philippian jailer asked Paul what he had to do to be saved; Paul did not say "read all the word, understand what sin is and never do it again and keep all of the law". He said "believe in the Lord Jesus and you will be saved", Acts of the Apostles 16:31. Then Paul preached the Gospel to him, and the man was baptised.

Once this has been accomplished, you are qualified to be baptized in the name of Jesus.

No - believe in Jesus and be baptised.
Faith in Jesus and what he did for us on the cross are enough; we don't have to do anything else to earn the right to be baptised.

So that is the first steps to receiving eternal life.

No, we receive eternal life by believing in Jesus, John 3:16, John 3:36, John 5:39-40, John 6:54, 1 John 5:12, Acts of the Apostles 2:38, (note, those who accepted Peter's message were baptised.) Also, Saul was baptised immediately after he had met Jesus and had his sight restored by Ananias.

The New Covenant doesn't work the way you think, it's much harder and stronger. Jesus says in Matthew 5:28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

Yes - but nowhere does Jesus say that keeping the law or his words is a condition to being saved and baptised.

So yes, if a person continue wilful sinning, even if its the dietary law, that person can get cut off.

Well then the Bible contradicts itself.
It clearly says that salvation is through Jesus alone, Acts of the Apostles 4:12, that he alone gives eternal life (see Scriptures posted above), that Jesus is the only way to the Father, John 14:6 and that nothing can snatch us from God's hand, John 10:29, nor separate us from his love, Romans 8:38-39.
Even the demons can't separate us from God's love - a bacon sandwich has no chance.

Now to receive eternal life, become born again and made God's child, be given the Holy Spirit and every blessing in Christ. This is all work and faith, progress.

I've been born again, received eternal life and am a child of God; I'm sure that many here would say the same.
I am being transformed, by the Spirit, into Jesus' image, 2 Corinthians 3:18, which is a lifelong work on HIS part. I am still saved, even though not yet perfect.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,054,396.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Gentile are now under the same law as the Jews. It's part of the New Covenant,

No, new covenant means NEW - not "the same old one extended to more people".

Gentiles were not commanded, by Jesus or the early church, to keep the OT law in order to be saved; quite the opposite. Paul, a former Pharisee, said that circumcision was nothing and that food could not bring people closer to God. Jesus, God, said that nothing that goes into the mouth can make a person unclean.
The author of Hebrews says that when a new covenant was made, it meant that the old one was no longer relevant or in force.

Upvote 0

Scott Husted

Apr 8, 2020
Virginia Beach
✟57,000.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
In 1 Kings 4:30 And Solomon's wisdom excelled the wisdom of all the children of the east country, and all the wisdom of Egypt. :34 And there came of all people to hear the wisdom of Solomon, from all kings of the earth, which had heard of his wisdom.

So I probably would go with solomon and say I believe so.

In the end the kingdom he ruled over bore out the judgement of his indiscretion, and he became ensnared (like the rest of us) by his own words.

It's interesting (though this is a pattern found throughout scripture) that God would use dietary laws, and then (like a serpent) tempt Peter to break them, all to show him the measurement (through his own reasoning) he had placed on the sacrifice of God.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Original Happy Camper

One of GODS Children I am a historicist
Site Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Gentiles were not commanded, by Jesus or the early church, to keep the OT law in order to be saved; quite the opposite. Paul, a former Pharisee, said that circumcision was nothing and that food could not bring people closer to God. Jesus, God, said that nothing that goes into the mouth can make a person unclean.
The author of Hebrews says that when a new covenant was made, it meant that the old one was no longer relevant or in force.

So then according to the following verse your train of thought would lead one to believe that they are not one of God's People.

Jeremiah 31

31 Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:

32 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the Lord:

33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the Lord, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.

Is verse 33 the NEW covenant?

What law is written in the heart?

Was this not written before the first advent of Jesus Christ?

Repeat of Jeremiah

Hebrews 8:10
For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,054,396.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So then according to the following verse your train of thought would lead one to believe that they are not one of God's People.

Who's not one of God's people?

33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the Lord, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.

Is verse 33 the NEW covenant?

Matthew 26:28
This is my blood of the New Covenant. Through the blood of Jesus we have peace and reconciliation with God, Romans 5:1, Romans 5:11, 2 Corinthians 5:18. We can now be IN Christ, in fact we are told to dwell, and remain, in him John 15:4-5.
Through his Holy Spirit, Christ, the eternal Word, can live in us.
The Holy Sprit testifies that we belong to God and are his children, Romans 8:16.

What law is written in the heart?

The law of love - John 13:3, love one another as I have loved you.
We cannot love with God's agape love unless we have first received it, and we won't receive it unless we repent and are born again.

Was this not written before the first advent of Jesus Christ?

Yes - as were many prophecies which pointed to him
They were fulfilled by, and in, him.

Upvote 0

Bro.T--2

Aug 22, 2020
Chicago
✟15,610.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
In the end the kingdom he ruled over bore out the judgement of his indiscretion, and he became ensnared (like the rest of us) by his own words.

It's interesting (though this is a pattern found throughout scripture) that God would use dietary laws, and then (like a serpent) tempt Peter to break them, all to show him the measurement (through his own reasoning) he had placed on the sacrifice of God.

It make you think with all that knowledge wisdom and understanding he wouldn't blow the mission.

Sometimes the Lord do these things. I'm not sure if the Lord was tempting him or if Peter just didn't understand the way the Lord communication to him.

Upvote 0

Bro.T--2

Aug 22, 2020
Chicago
✟15,610.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged

You always responding with no scriptures or verses. See how I take my time and post out the Bible so everyone can read. Peter said in Acts 15:6 And the apostles and elders came together for to consider of this matter. 7 And when there had been much disputing, Peter rose up, and said unto them, Men and brethren, ye know how that a good while ago God made choice among us, that the Gentiles by my mouth should hear the word of the gospel, and believe. 8 And God, which knoweth the hearts, bare them witness, giving them the Holy Ghost, even as he did unto us; 9 And put no difference between us and them, This dispute is mainly talking about the Gentiles being circumcise, understand that some of those Israelites didn't want Gentiles in this word of God. But skip to verse 1 And certain men which came down from Judaea taught the brethren, and said, Except ye be circumcised after the manner of Moses, ye cannot be saved.

Jesus gave Peter the keys to the kingdom, and this for a reason. Pay attention to what Peter said in 2 Peter 1 :19 We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts: 20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. 21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bro.T--2

Aug 22, 2020
Chicago
✟15,610.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
No; Scripture says believe and be baptised - not do and be baptised.

Jesus died for my sins, has freed me from the power of sin and deliberately and wilfully sinning is not now my desire or aim.

No - believe and be baptised.
The Ethiopian official read Isaiah 53, wanted to know who it was speaking about, Philip explained and preached the Gospel and the official was baptised. Philip did not say "first you must read all of the word (which they didn't have then), understand what sin is and keep ALL of God's law". We are not even told that the official repented.
The Philippian jailer asked Paul what he had to do to be saved; Paul did not say "read all the word, understand what sin is and never do it again and keep all of the law". He said "believe in the Lord Jesus and you will be saved", Acts of the Apostles 16:31. Then Paul preached the Gospel to him, and the man was baptised.

No - believe in Jesus and be baptised.
Faith in Jesus and what he did for us on the cross are enough; we don't have to do anything else to earn the right to be baptised.

No, we receive eternal life by believing in Jesus, John 3:16, John 3:36, John 5:39-40, John 6:54, 1 John 5:12, Acts of the Apostles 2:38, (note, those who accepted Peter's message were baptised.) Also, Saul was baptised immediately after he had met Jesus and had his sight restored by Ananias.

Yes - but nowhere does Jesus say that keeping the law or his words is a condition to being saved and baptised.

Well then the Bible contradicts itself.
It clearly says that salvation is through Jesus alone, Acts of the Apostles 4:12, that he alone gives eternal life (see Scriptures posted above), that Jesus is the only way to the Father, John 14:6 and that nothing can snatch us from God's hand, John 10:29, nor separate us from his love, Romans 8:38-39.
Even the demons can't separate us from God's love - a bacon sandwich has no chance.

I've been born again, received eternal life and am a child of God; I'm sure that many here would say the same.
I am being transformed, by the Spirit, into Jesus' image, 2 Corinthians 3:18, which is a lifelong work on HIS part. I am still saved, even though not yet perfect.

Jesus said in Matthew 19: 16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life? 17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments. 18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, 19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. Understand brothers and sisters that the Sabbath day on the seventh day of the week, is included in the commandments as well.

Look like most of ten commandment right here. "And he said unto them, go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned." (Mark 16:15- 16). Look like you going to have problem with this verse to. Like I said, faith and works here!

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,054,396.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You always responding with no scriptures or verses.

I've answered many times with Scriptures - and you've ignored them.

Peter said in Acts 15:6 And the apostles and elders came together for to consider of this matter. 7 And when there had been much disputing, Peter rose up, and said unto them, Men and brethren, ye know how that a good while ago God made choice among us, that the Gentiles by my mouth should hear the word of the gospel, and believe. 8 And God, which knoweth the hearts, bare them witness, giving them the Holy Ghost, even as he did unto us; 9 And put no difference between us and them,

Yes; God poured out his Spirit on uncircumcised Gentiles, just as he had done with circumcised Jews.

This dispute is mainly talking about the Gentiles being circumcise, understand that some of those Israelites didn't want Gentiles in this word of God. But skip to verse 1 And certain men which came down from Judaea taught the brethren, and said, Except ye be circumcised after the manner of Moses, ye cannot be saved.

??
Yes, the people who said that were false teachers - Peter, and Paul, were arguing that they were wrong. And they won the argument; the letter that was sent to Gentile believers made no mention of getting circumcised.
The Judaisers who said "you must be circumcised to be saved" were WRONG - what are you saying?

Jesus gave Peter the keys to the kingdom, and this for a reason. Pay attention to what Peter said in 2 Peter 1 :19 We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts: 20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. 21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

Yes, Peter is saying that they can trust the things that he writes because, as we as being eye witnesses to Jesus and the things that he did, all these things, and his ministry, was prophesied by OT prophets.

I agree with all that - what's your point?

• Agree
Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,054,396.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus said in Matthew 19: 16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life? 17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments. 18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, 19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. Understand brothers and sisters that the Sabbath day on the seventh day of the week, is included in the commandments as well.

Look like most of ten commandment right here. "And he said unto them, go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned." (Mark 16:15- 16). Look like you going to have problem with this verse to. Like I said, faith and works here!

Looks like you have a problem with reading - I answered this in post #64.

Jesus told the rich man to keep the commandments. When the man said "which ones?" Jesus mentioned only the commandments that related to loving your neighbour.
So why didn't the rich young man reply by saying "hey, Jesus, you've missed out the first 5 commandments - the ones that talk about loving God, putting him first and not having any idols"? Answer: because his money was an idol - he loved his money more than he loved God. The fact that Jesus told him to give everything away, to get rid of that idol and then follow him proves it. The young man went away sad - he couldn't do that; he was too wealthy. He could keep the last few commandments that talked about loving your neighbour, but not those which talked about loving God.

And like I said, Jesus said BELIEVE and be baptised. A person is damned if they do not believe.
I am saying that works do NOT save us. They are what we do when we have been saved, to show our love and obedience for God, but they, themselves, do not save us. The rich young man wanted to leave God out of it and just do good to his neighbour.

Upvote 0

Scott Husted

Apr 8, 2020
Virginia Beach
✟57,000.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It make you think with all that knowledge wisdom and understanding he wouldn't blow the mission.

Sometimes the Lord do these things. I'm not sure if the Lord was tempting him or if Peter just didn't understand the way the Lord communication to him.

It was Solomon's Adam and Eve moment ...

Upvote 0

Bro.T--2

Aug 22, 2020
Chicago
✟15,610.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged

Jesus told the rich man to keep the commandments. When the man said "which ones?" Jesus mentioned only the commandments that related to loving your neighbour.
So why didn't the rich young man reply by saying "hey, Jesus, you've missed out the first 5 commandments - the ones that talk about loving God, putting him first and not having any idols"? Answer: because his money was an idol - he loved his money more than he loved God. The fact that Jesus told him to give everything away, to get rid of that idol and then follow him proves it. The young man went away sad - he couldn't do that; he was too wealthy. He could keep the last few commandments that talked about loving your neighbour, but not those which talked about loving God.

And like I said, Jesus said BELIEVE and be baptised. A person is damned if they do not believe.
I am saying that works do NOT save us. They are what we do when we have been saved, to show our love and obedience for God, but they, themselves, do not save us. The rich young man wanted to leave God out of it and just do good to his neighbour.

Let's read it again in Matthew 19: [16] And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life? [17] And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments. [18] He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, [19] Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

The rich man didn't say which one, he said what good thing shall I do. Jesus says," but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments," Just because Jesus didn't mention every single commandment does mean you just do these and that's it. Jesus had Paul say in Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. The other commandments you don't do is sin, and it bring forth death! In
(1John 3:4) Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law. Now we have just read the biblical definition of sin, the transgression (breaking) of the law (commandments.) It doesn’t matter what you or I think sin is, it’s what God says sin is that counts. Stop making things up.

And like I said, Jesus said BELIEVE and be baptised. A person is damned if they do not believe. I am saying that works do NOT save us. They are what we do when we have been saved, to show our love and obedience for God, but they, themselves, do not save us. The rich young man wanted to leave God out of it and just do good to his neighbour.

Jesus says..."And he said unto them, go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned." (Mark 16:15-16). Now you change the the wording around to fit your mind set. You have to do both, believe and get baptized.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,054,396.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Let's read it again in Matthew 19: [16] And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life? [17] And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments. [18] He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, [19] Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

The rich man didn't say which one, he said what good thing shall I do. Jesus says," but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments,"

Matthew 24:36-38
"...' which is the greatest commandment in the law?' Jesus replied ' love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the greatest commandment'. "

Mark 12:30
The most important commandment is love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind and with all your strength'."

The first of the 10 commandments is "you shall have no other gods before me", Exodus 20:3

If the rich young man, or anyone, was to keep the commandments, the first and most important is to love God, have no other gods and not to make any idols.
The rich young man was told by Jesus to give up his money, and he couldn't. He was unable to keep the commandment to love God and put him first.

Just because Jesus didn't mention every single commandment does mean you just do these and that's it.

Jesus didn't mention the first and greatest commandment.
Clearly he didn't mention it for a reason - it's inconceivable that he forgot to tell the man to love God, or decided it wasn't that important.

The rich young ruler was told to keep the commandments - he doubtless knew that the commandments don't begin at number 6.

Jesus had Paul say in Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death;

Yes, that's the consequence of sin; it doesn't say what sin is.
Romans 3:23 - all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. We all fall short of God's holiness, standards and glory. Adam and Eve were perfect and had a perfect relationship with God. Then they disobeyed God's word and that relationship was broken. There was no law, as such, then - the command that they had disobeyed was not to eat fruit from a certain tree. THIS is what brought sin into the world.

The other commandments you don't do is sin, and it bring forth death!

Adam and Eve only had one commandment - they couldn't keep it, and brought forth sin and death.

It doesn’t matter what you or I think sin is, it’s what God says sin is that counts. Stop making things up.

Stop accusing me of making things up just because you don't agree.

You have to do both, believe and get baptized.

I do and I have.

That said, if someone believed but died before they could be baptised, they'd still be saved.

• Agree
Reactions: pescador
Upvote 0

Bro.T--2

Aug 22, 2020
Chicago
✟15,610.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
"...' which is the greatest commandment in the law?' Jesus replied ' love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the greatest commandment'. "

The most important commandment is love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind and with all your strength'."

The first of the 10 commandments is "you shall have no other gods before me", Exodus 20:3

If the rich young man, or anyone, was to keep the commandments, the first and most important is to love God, have no other gods and not to make any idols.
The rich young man was told by Jesus to give up his money, and he couldn't. He was unable to keep the commandment to love God and put him first.

Clearly he didn't mention it for a reason - it's inconceivable that he forgot to tell the man to love God, or decided it wasn't that important.

The rich young ruler was told to keep the commandments - he doubtless knew that the commandments don't begin at number 6.

Yes, that's the consequence of sin; it doesn't say what sin is.
Romans 3:23 - all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. We all fall short of God's holiness, standards and glory. Adam and Eve were perfect and had a perfect relationship with God. Then they disobeyed God's word and that relationship was broken. There was no law, as such, then - the command that they had disobeyed was not to eat fruit from a certain tree. THIS is what brought sin into the world.

Adam and Eve only had one commandment - they couldn't keep it, and brought forth sin and death.

I do and I have.

That said, if someone believed but died before they could be baptised, they'd still be saved.

The point of the story of the rich man is to show you that Faith and works go hand in hand. Also how the Ten Commandment is still effective. One should note that by following the 1st and 2nd great commandment they will be adhering to the 10 commandments issued by Moses. If they love the Lord they wont have any other Gods before him, or make any graven images or take his name in vain, they will remember his Sabbath on the seventh day of the week and if they love their neighbor they will honor their Father and Mother and they wont kill or commit adultery or steal or bear false witness nor will they covet. This is why Jesus goes on to state that on these two commandments hang the law and the prophets. Because by fulfilling these two commandments one fulfills the law.

J
esus says Matthew 22: 40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.
Jesus stated that these 2 commandments where the 2 great commandments however the following verses will show that these commandments were not new and that the Jews Jesus was speaking to were aware of them.
These were the same ones issued to Israel by Moses.

Deuteronomy (6:5) And thy shall love the Lord thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.

Leviticus (19:18) Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself: I am the LORD.

I do and I have.

Well, you was making things up, cause you wasn't following the scripture, just posting. But I agree with somethings you say in the last post. But the Bible don't support you believing if someone believe and died before being baptized they save. Let go into (Matt. 7:21-23) (v.21) Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father, which is in heaven. You mean you must do more than call on the name of the Lord to enter into the kingdom of heaven? (Which will be set up on this earth)? (v.22) Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? And in thy name have cast out devils? And in thy name done many wonderful works? (v.23) And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity. Now this is not the harlot, the thief, or the murder, these are religious people; some had the power to cast out devils. And what did they put before the Lord? Their works! It’s obvious that their iniquity overrode their wonderful works. But they put their works on the table before the Lord, that’s what you are going to be judged by, your works! For other situations the Lord have the white throne judgement.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,054,396.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The point of the story of the rich man is to show you that Faith and works go hand in hand.

I don't know how you came up with that idea; it's nothing to do with it.
This isn't a story; a rich young man came to Jesus and wanted to receive eternal life. He said that he kept the commandments, but when Jesus told him to sell everything he had and follow him, the man went away sadly. He couldn't sell his possessions and give away his money; he was too rich. Which showed that he was breaking the first two commandments to love God, put him first and not make an idol. He could not keep the greatest, commandment of them all.
That's nothing to do with faith and work; it's everything to do with having something that is more important than God. Jesus said that you can't serve God and money - the young man was serving money.

One should note that by following the 1st and 2nd great commandment they will be adhering to the 10 commandments issued by Moses.

But the rich young man wasn't following the first and second commandments. Money came before God; his money was his idol. Jesus told him to give it up, and he couldn't.

Because by fulfilling these two commandments one fulfills the law.

And the rich young man wasn't.

Jesus stated that these 2 commandments where the 2 great commandments however the following verses will show that these commandments were not new and that the Jews Jesus was speaking to were aware of them. These were the same ones issued to Israel by Moses.

Deuteronomy (6:5) And thy shall love the Lord thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.

Leviticus (19:18) Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself: I am the LORD.

Jesus took those two verses and said that they summarised the 10 commandments, certainly.
But that's nothing to do with the rich young man and the fact that he couldn't sell his possessions as Jesus told him to.

Well, you was making things up, cause you wasn't following the scripture, just posting.

I wasn't making anything up.
Writing my views, or explaining something without using Scripture to back up, or illustrate, what I am saying, is not making it up. Perhaps you don't understand the meaning of the phrase.
If someone makes something up they invent, or create, it - like the story of Red Riding Hood, or Beauty and the beast. Or that Corona virus isn't real, aliens are visiting planet earth or just about anything.

But the Bible don't support you believing if someone believe and died before being baptized they save.

The Bible doesn't say what happens to someone who believes but dies before they can be baptised.
However it says many times that only Jesus gives eternal life, saves us and reconciles us to God.

Let go into (Matt. 7:21-23) (v.21) Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father, which is in heaven. You mean you must do more than call on the name of the Lord to enter into the kingdom of heaven?

Have a look at John 6:40 - God's will is that everyone who believes in Jesus will have eternal life.
Or John 6:29 - when the Pharisees asked Jesus "how can we do the works that God wants us to do, Jesus said "the work of God is to believe in the One that he has sent."

(v.22) Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? And in thy name have cast out devils? And in thy name done many wonderful works? (v.23) And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity. Now this is not the harlot, the thief, or the murder, these are religious people; some had the power to cast out devils. And what did they put before the Lord? Their works! It’s obvious that their iniquity overrode their wonderful works.

Works don't save us.
People can do anything and say it is in Jesus' name - years ago there was someone in the UK who told him that God told him to kill prostitutes. He may have really believed that - he was still arrested and put in prison.

that’s what you are going to be judged by, your works!

No.
When we stand before God we will have to give an account of our lives, 2 Corinthians 5:10. When we do, if it is discovered that we have built on a foundation other than Christ, our work will be destroyed, but we will be saved, 1 Corinthians 3:11-15. In other words, if we do anything that does not put God first, is not in his name or what he would have us do, it will be a waste of time. 1 Corinthians was written to Christians, people who were already saved. People who don't have Jesus will not be saved by their works.
The rich young man didn't yet have eternal life. Jesus knew that the thing that was standing between him and God was his money - so he told him to give it away and then follow him. The man couldn't do that. It didn't matter how many commands he had kept, he could not do what God asked him to do.

Jesus is the foundation for our faith, the corner stone, Acts of the Apostles 4:11, the author and perfecter of our faith, Hebrews 12:2, the Alpha and the Omega, Revelation 1:8. He is the only way to the Father, John 14:6, the only one who can save, Acts of the Apostles 4:12, and the giver of eternal life, John 3:16, John 3:36, John 10:10, 1 John 5:12.
If someone has not trusted in Jesus they have not been forgiven for their sins, so they will be unforgiven sinners when they meet God and will not have received eternal life.
I believe that if someone has truly never heard the Gospel they will be judged on what they do know and what they have done. But if someone has heard the Good News but wilfully rejected Jesus, all the good deeds in the world won't save them.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Upvote 0

Bro.T--2

Aug 22, 2020
Chicago
✟15,610.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
This isn't a story; a rich young man came to Jesus and wanted to receive eternal life. He said that he kept the commandments, but when Jesus told him to sell everything he had and follow him, the man went away sadly. He couldn't sell his possessions and give away his money; he was too rich. Which showed that he was breaking the first two commandments to love God, put him first and not make an idol. He could not keep the greatest, commandment of them all.
That's nothing to do with faith and work; it's everything to do with having something that is more important than God. Jesus said that you can't serve God and money - the young man was serving money.

But the rich young man wasn't following the first and second commandments. Money came before God; his money was his idol. Jesus told him to give it up, and he couldn't.

Jesus took those two verses and said that they summarised the 10 commandments, certainly.
But that's nothing to do with the rich young man and the fact that he couldn't sell his possessions as Jesus told him to.

I wasn't making anything up.
Writing my views, or explaining something without using Scripture to back up, or illustrate, what I am saying, is not making it up. Perhaps you don't understand the meaning of the phrase.
If someone makes something up they invent, or create, it - like the story of Red Riding Hood, or Beauty and the beast. Or that Corona virus isn't real, aliens are visiting planet earth or just about anything.

The Bible doesn't say what happens to someone who believes but dies before they can be baptised.
However it says many times that only Jesus gives eternal life, saves us and reconciles us to God.

Have a look at John 6:40 - God's will is that everyone who believes in Jesus will have eternal life.
Or John 6:29 - when the Pharisees asked Jesus "how can we do the works that God wants us to do, Jesus said "the work of God is to believe in the One that he has sent."

Works don't save us.
People can do anything and say it is in Jesus' name - years ago there was someone in the UK who told him that God told him to kill prostitutes. He may have really believed that - he was still arrested and put in prison.

No.
When we stand before God we will have to give an account of our lives, 2 Corinthians 5:10. When we do, if it is discovered that we have built on a foundation other than Christ, our work will be destroyed, but we will be saved, 1 Corinthians 3:11-15. In other words, if we do anything that does not put God first, is not in his name or what he would have us do, it will be a waste of time. 1 Corinthians was written to Christians, people who were already saved. People who don't have Jesus will not be saved by their works.
The rich young man didn't yet have eternal life. Jesus knew that the thing that was standing between him and God was his money - so he told him to give it away and then follow him. The man couldn't do that. It didn't matter how many commands he had kept, he could not do what God asked him to do.

Jesus is the foundation for our faith, the corner stone, Acts of the Apostles 4:11, the author and perfecter of our faith, Hebrews 12:2, the Alpha and the Omega, Revelation 1:8. He is the only way to the Father, John 14:6, the only one who can save, Acts of the Apostles 4:12, and the giver of eternal life, John 3:16, John 3:36, John 10:10, 1 John 5:12.
If someone has not trusted in Jesus they have not been forgiven for their sins, so they will be unforgiven sinners when they meet God and will not have received eternal life.
I believe that if someone has truly never heard the Gospel they will be judged on what they do know and what they have done. But if someone has heard the Good News but wilfully rejected Jesus, all the good deeds in the world won't save them.

Stop focusing on the rich man, I'm tell you as a person that's what you have to do. Keep the commandments. You have to keep the Royal law! To this day.

I agree with all those verses, but you have to do your part as a christian, according to the bible. Paul says in (Rom. 13:7-10) (v.7) Render therefore to all their dues: tribute to whom tribute is due; custom to whom custom; fear to whom fear; honour to whom honour. (v.8) Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law. That’s the biblical definition of love, the keeping of God’s law. (v.9) For this, THOU SHALT NOT COMMIT ADULTERY, THOU SHALT NOT KILL, THOU SHALT NOT BEAR FALSE WITNESS, THOU SHALT NOT COVET; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, THOU SHALT LOVE THY NEIGHBOUR AS THYSELF. (v.10) Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law. And that is what God’s holy commandments are all about; the first four tells you how to love God and the last six tells you how to love your neighbor. If you love your God you will not do any thing to offend him, like having other gods before him. You will do as he says like remember the sabbath day to keep it holy on the seventh day of the week. If you love him you will obey him when he tells you not to eat certain meats etc… And the same goes for your fellow man, if you love your neighbor you wouldn’t steal from him, you wouldn’t kill him, you wouldn’t try and sleep with his wife and so on and so forth. This is God’s definition of love and it is perfect in its ways.

Upvote 0