Can the Church Survive Without man's tradition?

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Having it and having an agreed upon NT canon are not the same thing.
They had NT scripture in the beginning. Many churches dont agree with Catholic authority either. So how did that authority preserve the church when scripture could not? It didnt.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
They had NT scripture in the beginning
And again, they didn’t have a recognized NT canon. In the beginning, there was a lot of disagreement about which texts were inspired and which weren’t. But that was no barrier to unity.

Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I wouldn’t want to survive without the bible. After all the doctrinal learning about mankind’s place in the big picture, whether using the scripture or tradition to determine the position, only after all these years of eating the meat and casting away the bones, only now is the trust of God revealing the thoughts of God about Himself, and if the scripture were unavailable so would be the revealing.

Revelation 2:12
"12To the angel of the church in Pergamum write: These are the words of the One who holds the sharp, double-edged sword."

Revelation 2:16
"16Therefore repent! Otherwise I will come to you shortly and wage war against them with the sword of My mouth. "

I wonder what this sword is referring to and what man would take responsibility for crafting it?

Upvote 0

~Zao~

Wisdom’s child
Site Supporter
Jun 27, 2007
✟123,095.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Revelation 2:12
"12To the angel of the church in Pergamum write: These are the words of the One who holds the sharp, double-edged sword."

Revelation 2:16
"16Therefore repent! Otherwise I will come to you shortly and wage war against them with the sword of My mouth. "

I wonder what this sword is referring to and what man would take responsibility for crafting it?

Its the Word of God, i think.

The word of God is the sword and in the armour that we are given it’s the only weapon we have. All the rest of the armour is for protection. When the devil’s main goal is to unarm Christians then Christ will/(already has) defeat him with that same weapon.

Reactions: Tone
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The word of God is the sword and in the armour that we are given it’s the only weapon we have. All the rest of the armour is for protection. When the devil’s main goal is to unarm Christians then Christ will/(already has) defeat him with that same weapon.
Its note worthy that the sword comes out of the Lord's mouth, just as His words would.

Reactions: Eloy Craft
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

~Zao~

Wisdom’s child
Site Supporter
Jun 27, 2007
✟123,095.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What do you mean?
Christ is the Godhead seen, no other aspect of the Godhead has ever been seen. What He exemplified on the earth was to take that which was material and bring it to the rebirth of the spiritual. Now all can see God because of the sword of truth.

Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private

Though many have tried, that door cannot be shut:

Revelation 3:8
"8I know your deeds. See, I have placed before you an open door, which no one can shut. For you have only a little strength, yet you have kept My word and have not denied My name."

Revelation 3:20
"20Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door,I will come in and dine with him, and he with Me."

Upvote 0

~Zao~

Wisdom’s child
Site Supporter
Jun 27, 2007
✟123,095.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That reminds of Noah’s baptism out of the world that door being shut by God Himself, and opened again by Him to a new world of promise.

Reactions: Tone
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Christ is the Godhead seen, no other aspect of the Godhead has ever been seen. What He exemplified on the earth was to take that which was material and bring it to the rebirth of the spiritual. Now all can see God because of the sword of truth.
Thank you.

• Friendly
Reactions: ~Zao~
Upvote 0